Windows 2000 Crashes...

dinoX

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
Here is my hardware:

-Asus A7V133 Socket A Motherboard 200/266 FSB with Promise ata100 controller
-AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz Socket A Processor Bundled (with fan/heatsink)
-256 MB PC133 RAM
-300 watt AMD certified Power Supply
-Western Digital ATA 100 40 GB HD 7200 RPM
-VisionTek GEFORCE 2 GTS 32 MB AGP Video Card
-Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer 5.1 Sound Card
-Mitsumi generic 48x CD-ROM Drive
-TDK CD-R/W Drive
-Mitsumi 3 1/2 Floppy Disk Drive
-3COM 3C905C NIC

Here is my problem:

I just recently bought all my parts for a new computer and put them all together. I started the install of Windows 2000 Professional by using the floppy boot disks you can create with the CD. Setup works fine. Install drivers for my motherboard, no problems. Install drivers for video card, no problems. Install sound card. No problems. Installed the NIC and after i reboot windows hangs or the login screen hangs. I Deleted the active partition and reformatted the HD and started all over again. Install motherboard drivers (promise controller, Via 4 in 1, etc.). Intsall the Video Card with 6.31 drivers recommended from the VisionTek site. Install the Sound Blaster Live! card. Install anything else after that, like Office 2000 or the Win2k Service Pack 1 I downloaded (the large version), their setups hang in the middle or windows hangs or the login screen hangs.

I made sure all the drivers I had were up to date and everything. I do have another system that is running fine with Windows 2000 Professional and I installed it in the same manner I am trying with my new system. My old sytem had the named Sound Blaster Live! card running in it and it worked in the old computer. My old computer (which is a Slot-A Tekram motherboard with a 750 AMD Athlon processor in it and a Maxtor ata 100 controller card) also has a Voodoo5 5500 AGP 64 MB RAM card and no problems there. Also a 3comm NIC in it and the same type of Hard Drive. Should I try swapping an extra Western Digital 20 GB HD I have with the 40 GB one and see if its a bad hard drive or switching around the video cards? Any suggestions are very welcome and helpful, as this is the 3rd week I have tried to fix this computer and its getting on my last nerve!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dinoX on 04/30/01 07:41 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If not done, you can check for BIOS updates and/or assigne unique IRQ's to your hardware in the BIOS.

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"Windows 2000 Crashes..." on "Asus A7V133 Socket A" with "AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz Socket A Processor Bundled" - AMD? Asus A7V? Wunderous 2000? ... it is no wonder, heh

Post, we'll do the "search"... :wink:

dinoX

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
actually i read a HD problem on another thread. I just moved my cable from the ATA 100 controller to the DMA66 socket (regular one) and it worked like a charm now. I have installed Win2k Service Pack 1, Office 2k and all the critical updates, no problems yet! *knock on wood*

Anybody else with a similar problem trying to boot up with same mobo and win2k, leave your HD on the DMA66 connector. Not a real big difference IMHO anyways. (especially with a 1.2 GHz processor and 256 MB RAM ;) )

CompSci

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Settin your bios to boot from CDROM will sure make your Win 2000 experience much better!!!

Every Win 2000 CD I've seen(even copies) is/are bootable.
(Sometimes it's a bit tricky. My Abit with an onboard HPT66 IDE controller requires the CD to be on normal IDE primary, set master. Think the Asus will find it on secondary, master or slave. Its been awhile, but Set bios/cmos boot sequence to floppy, CDROM, HDD-0 and test a bit till ya find how your sys finds/likes it...

Sure makes life easier...

amebapk

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
i am sure that's your bios' problem, drivers won't stop your windows2000's booting.
i am running win2000 also, got that problem also, but just go set your bios around, my machine runs fine.
i dont remember what i set for the bios, it's something between the CPU settings. try figure it out
good luck!!

:)

G

Your weren't very clear on what drivers you updated.
Like another poster said update your BIOS (1004).

And download the latest VIA drivers (very important).

----------------------------------
I bought a pentium once!
Everybody makes mistakes..

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
I don't have Win2K or an AMD processor. However I do have a MB with promise ATA/100 controller. I also have a Maxtor ATA 100 controller card. I have an ATA 66 HD connected to the MB, and a Maxtor ATA 100 HD connected to the Maxtor ATA 100 controller card.

I discovered that there is an apparent conflict between the promise driver loaded for the MB and the drivers loaded for the Maxtor ATA 100 controller card. The blue screen of death scene, etc.

A friend suggested that I shouldn't load the promise driver for the MB, but just load the drivers for the Maxtor ATA 100 controller card. THE PROBLEM DISAPPEARED. The drive connected to the motherboard is running faster than it was in my old box (with ATA33).

Now, I don't know if this relates to your situation. It's just a problem I had building my new system.

<b> "Shyt" HAPPENS </b>

DarkPhire

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2001
I have an ASUS a7v. I also got the blue screen of death when i upgraded my moboard and got a promise ata100.

The solution i used was to go to asus' website (using 98se since i have dual boot) and download the driver files they had onto a disk. Then when the windows setup screen pops up and says "press f6 to install scsi device now" i pressed f6, installed the drivers. and viola! it worked great....

--DarkPhire

dinoX

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
not to be mean or blunt, but the topic IS about windows 2000 if i'm not mistaken. may work with 98SE but it don't with 2000. The Microsoft Knowlege Base states that Windows 2000 has issues with ata100 and will be addressed with the next service pack.