SP2 Question?

I've been holding off on installing SP2 because of various issues
and the possibility of screwing up my home wireless network.

Now, I've run across this article:

"The automatic download blocker that Microsoft implemented in
August will expire April 12, at which time SP2 will be automatically
installed on machines running Windows XP or Windows XP Service Pack
1."

I always run Windows Update manually so I can choose which updates
that I prefer to install.

Do I absolutely have to install SP2 before April 12th. Is there no
alternative?

Thanks!
Scott
21
answers
Last reply
More about question

    Leave the auto updater off, and you'll have no problem. Microsoft
    provided a way for businesses to leave AutoUpdate on but avoid
    downloading SP2 - that's what is expiring. With auto-update turned off,
    you will not see SP2 auto-download.

    Scott wrote:
    > I've been holding off on installing SP2 because of various issues
    > and the possibility of screwing up my home wireless network.
    >
    > Now, I've run across this article:
    >
    > "The automatic download blocker that Microsoft implemented in
    > August will expire April 12, at which time SP2 will be automatically
    > installed on machines running Windows XP or Windows XP Service Pack
    > 1."
    >
    > I always run Windows Update manually so I can choose which updates
    > that I prefer to install.
    >
    > Do I absolutely have to install SP2 before April 12th. Is there no
    > alternative?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Scott

    Ed,

    Whew!!!! Yes, I keep the Auto Updater off...because I want control
    over what I install.

    Anyway, I suppose the time will come when it makes sense to install
    SP2. I've got a 3-year old GW 700XL desktop with XP Pro Version 2002
    and SP1 installed...plus a newer GW 400SP notebook running XP Pro.

    Should I expect any problems?

    Interestingly enough, I bought a GW E-3400 on eBay awhile back, and
    it came with XP and SP2 installed. When I hooked it up to my Linksys
    wireless router (via ethernet cable), it connected to the network with
    no problem.

    So maybe I'm worrying too much.

    Thanks!
    Scott

    "Edward J. Neth" wrote:

    > Leave the auto updater off, and you'll have no problem. Microsoft
    > provided a way for businesses to leave AutoUpdate on but avoid
    > downloading SP2 - that's what is expiring. With auto-update turned off,
    > you will not see SP2 auto-download.
    >
    > Scott wrote:
    > > I've been holding off on installing SP2 because of various issues
    > > and the possibility of screwing up my home wireless network.
    > >
    > > Now, I've run across this article:
    > >
    > > "The automatic download blocker that Microsoft implemented in
    > > August will expire April 12, at which time SP2 will be automatically
    > > installed on machines running Windows XP or Windows XP Service Pack
    > > 1."
    > >
    > > I always run Windows Update manually so I can choose which updates
    > > that I prefer to install.
    > >
    > > Do I absolutely have to install SP2 before April 12th. Is there no
    > > alternative?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > > Scott

    Scott,

    If it is any consolation, I also have a GW 700XL about the same age as yours
    running Win XP Pro. I installed SP2 and have had no problems.

    Good luck and happy computering,

    Turner

    "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
    > Ed,
    >
    > Whew!!!! Yes, I keep the Auto Updater off...because I want control
    > over what I install.
    >
    > Anyway, I suppose the time will come when it makes sense to install
    > SP2. I've got a 3-year old GW 700XL desktop with XP Pro Version 2002
    > and SP1 installed...plus a newer GW 400SP notebook running XP Pro.
    >
    > Should I expect any problems?
    >
    > Interestingly enough, I bought a GW E-3400 on eBay awhile back, and
    > it came with XP and SP2 installed. When I hooked it up to my Linksys
    > wireless router (via ethernet cable), it connected to the network with
    > no problem.
    >
    > So maybe I'm worrying too much.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Scott
    >
    > "Edward J. Neth" wrote:
    >>
    >> Leave the auto updater off, and you'll have no problem. Microsoft
    >> provided a way for businesses to leave AutoUpdate on but avoid
    >> downloading SP2 - that's what is expiring. With auto-update turned off,
    >> you will not see SP2 auto-download.
    >>
    >> Scott wrote:
    >> > I've been holding off on installing SP2 because of various issues
    >> > and the possibility of screwing up my home wireless network.
    >> >
    >> > Now, I've run across this article:
    >> >
    >> > "The automatic download blocker that Microsoft implemented in
    >> > August will expire April 12, at which time SP2 will be automatically
    >> > installed on machines running Windows XP or Windows XP Service Pack
    >> > 1."
    >> >
    >> > I always run Windows Update manually so I can choose which updates
    >> > that I prefer to install.
    >> >
    >> > Do I absolutely have to install SP2 before April 12th. Is there no
    >> > alternative?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks!
    >> > Scott

    Turner,

    That's good to know! I've read that it's better to update all hardware drivers
    first. The one that I know has newer drivers available is the NVIDIA GeForce2
    2MX 400 video card. Are you still using your original drivers?

    Thanks!
    ]Scott5

    Turner Morgan wrote:

    > Scott,
    >
    > If it is any consolation, I also have a GW 700XL about the same age as yours
    > running Win XP Pro. I installed SP2 and have had no problems.
    >
    > Good luck and happy computering,
    >
    > Turner

    Scott,

    All I can say is I installed SP2 via the MS Windows Update website. If it
    messed with any of the drivers in the computer, it was totally transparent
    to me (it even discovered I am using Zone Alarm and turned the MS firewall
    off!). As far as I know, all the drivers for all the hardware that came
    with the computer are still there except the ones I have specifically
    updated. The specific updated drivers include the nVidia GeForce video card
    that came with the computer; those drivers I get from the nVidia website
    rather than Gateway and those drivers have been kept up to date (when I can
    remember every few months to check for updates, anyway).

    I did not do anything special prior to installing SP2 (except, perhaps cross
    my fingers! Let's face it, any kind of major upgrade is a gamble).

    As I said, good luck. Everyone's situation, even with the same brand/model
    number of computer will be different!

    Regards,

    > Turner,
    >
    > That's good to know! I've read that it's better to update all hardware
    > drivers
    > first. The one that I know has newer drivers available is the NVIDIA
    > GeForce2
    > 2MX 400 video card. Are you still using your original drivers?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > ]Scott5
    >
    > Turner Morgan wrote:
    >>
    >> Scott,
    >>
    >> If it is any consolation, I also have a GW 700XL about the same age as
    >> yours
    >> running Win XP Pro. I installed SP2 and have had no problems.
    >>
    >> Good luck and happy computering,
    >>
    >> Turner

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Turner,

    OK...thanks much!

    Scott

    Turner Morgan wrote:

    > Scott,
    >
    > All I can say is I installed SP2 via the MS Windows Update website. If it
    > messed with any of the drivers in the computer, it was totally transparent
    > to me (it even discovered I am using Zone Alarm and turned the MS firewall
    > off!). As far as I know, all the drivers for all the hardware that came
    > with the computer are still there except the ones I have specifically
    > updated. The specific updated drivers include the nVidia GeForce video card
    > that came with the computer; those drivers I get from the nVidia website
    > rather than Gateway and those drivers have been kept up to date (when I can
    > remember every few months to check for updates, anyway).
    >
    > I did not do anything special prior to installing SP2 (except, perhaps cross
    > my fingers! Let's face it, any kind of major upgrade is a gamble).
    >
    > As I said, good luck. Everyone's situation, even with the same brand/model
    > number of computer will be different!
    >
    > Regards,
    > Turner
    >
    > "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
    > > Turner,
    > >
    > > That's good to know! I've read that it's better to update all hardware
    > > drivers
    > > first. The one that I know has newer drivers available is the NVIDIA
    > > GeForce2
    > > 2MX 400 video card. Are you still using your original drivers?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > > ]Scott5
    > >
    > > Turner Morgan wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Scott,
    > >>
    > >> If it is any consolation, I also have a GW 700XL about the same age as
    > >> yours
    > >> running Win XP Pro. I installed SP2 and have had no problems.
    > >>
    > >> Good luck and happy computering,
    > >>
    > >> Turner

  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Turner,

    I went to update the video drivers by getting this driver from the Nvidia
    website: NVIDIA Display Driver for Windows 2000/XP...version 71.84, 02/24/2005.
    I went to Add/Remove Programs and went thru setup. When rebooting, I got a
    blue screen, which said the computer was halted to avoid damage. I ended
    up rolling back to the original driver and then had an icon issue (see
    Icon Arrangement post below), but I solved that. I see in the readme.txt
    for the drivers, it says to go to Display in Control Panel and the Update
    Driver tab. Is this method preferable to doing a full install thru the
    driver's setup program?

    Thanks!
    Scott

    Turner Morgan wrote:

    > Scott,
    >
    > All I can say is I installed SP2 via the MS Windows Update website. If it
    > messed with any of the drivers in the computer, it was totally transparent
    > to me (it even discovered I am using Zone Alarm and turned the MS firewall
    > off!). As far as I know, all the drivers for all the hardware that came
    > with the computer are still there except the ones I have specifically
    > updated. The specific updated drivers include the nVidia GeForce video card
    > that came with the computer; those drivers I get from the nVidia website
    > rather than Gateway and those drivers have been kept up to date (when I can
    > remember every few months to check for updates, anyway).
    >
    > I did not do anything special prior to installing SP2 (except, perhaps cross
    > my fingers! Let's face it, any kind of major upgrade is a gamble).
    >
    > As I said, good luck. Everyone's situation, even with the same brand/model
    > number of computer will be different!
    >
    > Regards,
    > Turner
    >
    > "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
    > > Turner,
    > >
    > > That's good to know! I've read that it's better to update all hardware
    > > drivers
    > > first. The one that I know has newer drivers available is the NVIDIA
    > > GeForce2
    > > 2MX 400 video card. Are you still using your original drivers?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > > ]Scott5
    > >
    > > Turner Morgan wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Scott,
    > >>
    > >> If it is any consolation, I also have a GW 700XL about the same age as
    > >> yours
    > >> running Win XP Pro. I installed SP2 and have had no problems.
    > >>
    > >> Good luck and happy computering,
    > >>
    > >> Turner

  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    I ran into the same problem when I used the nVidia driver from the Windows
    update site. The latest driver from the nVidia site is the only way to go.
    Oddly, the Windows update site flags it for updating, even tho it is newer.
    Well, so much for letting Micro$oft take control of your computer via automatic
    updates!!! ... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 13:18:17 -0500, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:

    >Turner,
    >
    >I went to update the video drivers by getting this driver from the Nvidia
    >website: NVIDIA Display Driver for Windows 2000/XP...version 71.84, 02/24/2005.
    >I went to Add/Remove Programs and went thru setup. When rebooting, I got a
    >blue screen, which said the computer was halted to avoid damage. I ended
    >up rolling back to the original driver and then had an icon issue (see
    >Icon Arrangement post below), but I solved that. I see in the readme.txt
    >for the drivers, it says to go to Display in Control Panel and the Update
    >Driver tab. Is this method preferable to doing a full install thru the
    >driver's setup program?
    >
    >Thanks!
    >Scott
    >
    >Turner Morgan wrote:
    >>
    >> Scott,
    >>
    >> All I can say is I installed SP2 via the MS Windows Update website. If it
    >> messed with any of the drivers in the computer, it was totally transparent
    >> to me (it even discovered I am using Zone Alarm and turned the MS firewall
    >> off!). As far as I know, all the drivers for all the hardware that came
    >> with the computer are still there except the ones I have specifically
    >> updated. The specific updated drivers include the nVidia GeForce video card
    >> that came with the computer; those drivers I get from the nVidia website
    >> rather than Gateway and those drivers have been kept up to date (when I can
    >> remember every few months to check for updates, anyway).
    >>
    >> I did not do anything special prior to installing SP2 (except, perhaps cross
    >> my fingers! Let's face it, any kind of major upgrade is a gamble).
    >>
    >> As I said, good luck. Everyone's situation, even with the same brand/model
    >> number of computer will be different!
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Turner
    >>
    >> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
    >> > Turner,
    >> >
    >> > That's good to know! I've read that it's better to update all hardware
    >> > drivers
    >> > first. The one that I know has newer drivers available is the NVIDIA
    >> > GeForce2
    >> > 2MX 400 video card. Are you still using your original drivers?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks!
    >> > ]Scott5

  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Ben,

    I did get the update from Nvidia's website. I ran their setup install file
    and got a blue screen on reboot. Do you think it would work any better
    to to to Display/Update Driver tab and search for the .inf file?

    Scott

    Ben Myers wrote:

    > I ran into the same problem when I used the nVidia driver from the Windows
    > update site. The latest driver from the nVidia site is the only way to go.
    > Oddly, the Windows update site flags it for updating, even tho it is newer.
    > Well, so much for letting Micro$oft take control of your computer via automatic
    > updates!!! ... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 13:18:17 -0500, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Turner,
    > >
    > >I went to update the video drivers by getting this driver from the Nvidia
    > >website: NVIDIA Display Driver for Windows 2000/XP...version 71.84, 02/24/2005.
    > >I went to Add/Remove Programs and went thru setup. When rebooting, I got a
    > >blue screen, which said the computer was halted to avoid damage. I ended
    > >up rolling back to the original driver and then had an icon issue (see
    > >Icon Arrangement post below), but I solved that. I see in the readme.txt
    > >for the drivers, it says to go to Display in Control Panel and the Update
    > >Driver tab. Is this method preferable to doing a full install thru the
    > >driver's setup program?
    > >
    > >Thanks!
    > >Scott
    > >
    > >Turner Morgan wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Scott,
    > >>
    > >> All I can say is I installed SP2 via the MS Windows Update website. If it
    > >> messed with any of the drivers in the computer, it was totally transparent
    > >> to me (it even discovered I am using Zone Alarm and turned the MS firewall
    > >> off!). As far as I know, all the drivers for all the hardware that came
    > >> with the computer are still there except the ones I have specifically
    > >> updated. The specific updated drivers include the nVidia GeForce video card
    > >> that came with the computer; those drivers I get from the nVidia website
    > >> rather than Gateway and those drivers have been kept up to date (when I can
    > >> remember every few months to check for updates, anyway).
    > >>
    > >> I did not do anything special prior to installing SP2 (except, perhaps cross
    > >> my fingers! Let's face it, any kind of major upgrade is a gamble).
    > >>
    > >> As I said, good luck. Everyone's situation, even with the same brand/model
    > >> number of computer will be different!
    > >>
    > >> Regards,
    > >> Turner
    > >>
    > >> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message

  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Just a thought NVIDIA's site says to make sure virus program is off when
    you do there drivers. Tim
    > Ben,
    >
    > I did get the update from Nvidia's website. I ran their setup install file
    > and got a blue screen on reboot. Do you think it would work any better
    > to to to Display/Update Driver tab and search for the .inf file?
    >
    > Scott
    >
    > Ben Myers wrote:
    >>
    >> I ran into the same problem when I used the nVidia driver from the
    >> Windows
    >> update site. The latest driver from the nVidia site is the only way to
    >> go.
    >> Oddly, the Windows update site flags it for updating, even tho it is
    >> newer.
    >> Well, so much for letting Micro$oft take control of your computer via
    >> automatic
    >> updates!!! ... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 13:18:17 -0500, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Turner,
    >> >
    >> >I went to update the video drivers by getting this driver from the
    >> >Nvidia
    >> >website: NVIDIA Display Driver for Windows 2000/XP...version 71.84,
    >> >02/24/2005.
    >> >I went to Add/Remove Programs and went thru setup. When rebooting, I
    >> >got a
    >> >blue screen, which said the computer was halted to avoid damage. I
    >> >ended
    >> >up rolling back to the original driver and then had an icon issue (see
    >> >Icon Arrangement post below), but I solved that. I see in the
    >> >readme.txt
    >> >for the drivers, it says to go to Display in Control Panel and the
    >> >Update
    >> >Driver tab. Is this method preferable to doing a full install thru the
    >> >driver's setup program?
    >> >
    >> >Thanks!
    >> >Scott

  11. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Tim,

    That's a good point. And, yes, I did make sure my Norton AV was disabled
    before installing.

    Scott

    Tim wrote:

    > Just a thought NVIDIA's site says to make sure virus program is off when
    > you do there drivers. Tim
    > "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
    > > Ben,
    > >
    > > I did get the update from Nvidia's website. I ran their setup install file
    > > and got a blue screen on reboot. Do you think it would work any better
    > > to to to Display/Update Driver tab and search for the .inf file?
    > >
    > > Scott
    > >
    > > Ben Myers wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I ran into the same problem when I used the nVidia driver from the
    > >> Windows
    > >> update site. The latest driver from the nVidia site is the only way to
    > >> go.
    > >> Oddly, the Windows update site flags it for updating, even tho it is
    > >> newer.
    > >> Well, so much for letting Micro$oft take control of your computer via
    > >> automatic
    > >> updates!!! ... Ben Myers

  12. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    I never use M$ Update hardware drivers. They've always corrupted
    machines I support.

    OEMs like GW and Dell use non-retail versions of components, so it's
    best to use drivers from those sites. Sometime retail drivers work,
    but there's no guarantee since they might look for features the OEM
    version doesn't have (to keep the costs down).

    If you've added a retail card, then use the vendor's site.

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 23:41:31 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
    (Ben Myers) wrote:

    >I ran into the same problem when I used the nVidia driver from the Windows
    >update site. The latest driver from the nVidia site is the only way to go.
    >Oddly, the Windows update site flags it for updating, even tho it is newer.
    >Well, so much for letting Micro$oft take control of your computer via automatic
    >updates!!! ... Ben Myers
    >
    >On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 13:18:17 -0500, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Turner,
    >>
    >>I went to update the video drivers by getting this driver from the Nvidia
    >>website: NVIDIA Display Driver for Windows 2000/XP...version 71.84, 02/24/2005.
    >>I went to Add/Remove Programs and went thru setup. When rebooting, I got a
    >>blue screen, which said the computer was halted to avoid damage. I ended
    >>up rolling back to the original driver and then had an icon issue (see
    >>Icon Arrangement post below), but I solved that. I see in the readme.txt
    >>for the drivers, it says to go to Display in Control Panel and the Update
    >>Driver tab. Is this method preferable to doing a full install thru the
    >>driver's setup program?
    >>
    >>Thanks!
    >>Scott
    >>
    >>Turner Morgan wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Scott,
    >>>
    >>> All I can say is I installed SP2 via the MS Windows Update website. If it
    >>> messed with any of the drivers in the computer, it was totally transparent
    >>> to me (it even discovered I am using Zone Alarm and turned the MS firewall
    >>> off!). As far as I know, all the drivers for all the hardware that came
    >>> with the computer are still there except the ones I have specifically
    >>> updated. The specific updated drivers include the nVidia GeForce video card
    >>> that came with the computer; those drivers I get from the nVidia website
    >>> rather than Gateway and those drivers have been kept up to date (when I can
    >>> remember every few months to check for updates, anyway).
    >>>
    >>> I did not do anything special prior to installing SP2 (except, perhaps cross
    >>> my fingers! Let's face it, any kind of major upgrade is a gamble).
    >>>
    >>> As I said, good luck. Everyone's situation, even with the same brand/model
    >>> number of computer will be different!
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Turner
    >>>
    >>> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message

    ----------------

    "Jim, you think he's with Jesus now? We only have 30 seconds." - Larry King to "Passion" star Jim Caviezel, on the Pope.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Sorry, but I have to take strong exception to the statement that only drivers
    from the name-brand computer manufacturer's site should be used. Long
    experience here has shown the opposite.

    At this time (and going back maybe 6, 7, or more years), there is zero
    motivation for a name brand computer company to use "special" hardware. It
    costs more to manufacture special than to manufacture standard off the shelf.
    It costs oodles more to support special hardware in terms of special drivers and
    a special supply of spare parts, not to mention tech support, such that it is.

    There is no difference whatsoever between chipsets used in OEM hardware and
    retail hardware. About all you will find these days in differences are smallish
    ones like graphics cards with less memory (e.g. a 32MB card instead of 64MB or
    128MB) or a graphics chip with less power (a slower nVidia GForce chip for
    example). Drivers are written so that they autodetect and use the exact memory
    size on the card they find when the system boots up. Driver software does not
    care whether the graphics chip is a slower or a faster one. nVidia's single
    graphics driver set support all the versions of its chips. ATI and Matrox (Is
    Matrox still in the league?) are very similar. Intel's Extreme Graphics on the
    motherboard are the same.

    The same reasoning goes for motherboard chipsets, audio, network, USB and
    whatever else you want. The computer industry has truly become more of a
    commodity industry than any other as far as the electronic guts of a computer
    are concerned. Differences among name brands exist in the styling of the
    computer chassis, customization of the BIOS splash screen (Dell and IBM give
    their BIOSes a specific look-and-feel user interface), and choice of
    manufacturers. But most of the parts are interchangable unless there are
    physical differences in size, shape, connectors, etc. as with motherboards and
    power supplies.

    A number of years ago, there was the "Gatrox" fiasco, caused by Gateway's
    stubborn insistence on Matrox manufacturing a PCI graphics card with a cheaper,
    less capable RAMDAC chip. Back then, the RAMDAC chip imposed limits on the
    refresh rates and/or color depths available with a graphics card. But the
    standard off-the-shelf Matrox drivers worked 100% perfectly with the Gatrox
    card. (Nowadays, the RAMDAC functions are built into the graphics chip itself.)

    Trust me on this one. I've ripped apart and put back together thousands of name
    brand computers (all brands) in the last 10 years. I read and decipher all the
    inscrutable markings on integrated circuits... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 07:57:47 GMT, Jed Taylor <aspc-clone-gateway@offthedial.com>
    wrote:

    >I never use M$ Update hardware drivers. They've always corrupted
    >machines I support.
    >
    >OEMs like GW and Dell use non-retail versions of components, so it's
    >best to use drivers from those sites. Sometime retail drivers work,
    >but there's no guarantee since they might look for features the OEM
    >version doesn't have (to keep the costs down).
    >
    >If you've added a retail card, then use the vendor's site.

  14. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Scott,

    Sorry to be so late getting back to you.

    When I have updated the drivers from nVidia, I have always used their setup
    program, not Windows Add/Remove programs. The nVidia folks seem to know
    what they're doing and I like the "one driver fits all" philosophy.

    Again, sorry for the late response.

    > Turner,
    >
    > I went to update the video drivers by getting this driver from the Nvidia
    > website: NVIDIA Display Driver for Windows 2000/XP...version 71.84,
    > 02/24/2005.
    > I went to Add/Remove Programs and went thru setup. When rebooting, I got
    > blue screen, which said the computer was halted to avoid damage. I ended
    > up rolling back to the original driver and then had an icon issue (see
    > Icon Arrangement post below), but I solved that. I see in the readme.txt
    > for the drivers, it says to go to Display in Control Panel and the Update
    > Driver tab. Is this method preferable to doing a full install thru the
    > driver's setup program?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Scott

  15. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    You can take exception to anything you want. The motivation, however,
    is to save costs. OEMs like GW and Dell buy so much at a time that
    they can afford to get a vendor to create a "dumbed-down" version of a
    card that lacks higher-end features the vast majority of buyers will
    never use.

    There's a reason OEM's post drivers for their components on their
    websites instead of just telling people to go visit XYZ's. It's that
    these drivers are written for the OEM version, not the retail version.

    You do what you want. I've been in the biz for over 20 years, so I'm
    painfully familiar with it's history and evolution.

    OTOH, people who download drivers from M$ Update, or load retail
    drivers for OEM cards, make up a share my business, so I guess I
    should just keep quiet and collect the money.

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 13:09:58 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
    (Ben Myers) wrote:

> [...]
    >brand computers (all brands) in the last 10 years. I read and decipher all the
    >inscrutable markings on integrated circuits... Ben Myers
    >
    >On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 07:57:47 GMT, Jed Taylor <aspc-clone-gateway@offthedial.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I never use M$ Update hardware drivers. They've always corrupted
    >>machines I support.
    >>
    >>OEMs like GW and Dell use non-retail versions of components, so it's
    >>best to use drivers from those sites. Sometime retail drivers work,
    >>but there's no guarantee since they might look for features the OEM
    >>version doesn't have (to keep the costs down).
    >>
    >>If you've added a retail card, then use the vendor's site.

    ----------------

    "Jim, you think he's with Jesus now? We only have 30 seconds." - Larry King to "Passion" star Jim Caviezel, on the Pope.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Turner,

    I always use Add/Remove Programs and then go to the setup program. In this
    case, I got a blue screen on reboot. Is there any reason to believe going
    thru Add/Remove Programs would affect the install?

    Scott

    Turner Morgan wrote:

    > Scott,
    >
    > Sorry to be so late getting back to you.
    >
    > When I have updated the drivers from nVidia, I have always used their setup
    > program, not Windows Add/Remove programs. The nVidia folks seem to know
    > what they're doing and I like the "one driver fits all" philosophy.
    >
    > Again, sorry for the late response.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Turner
    >
    > "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
    > > Turner,
    > >
    > > I went to update the video drivers by getting this driver from the Nvidia
    > > website: NVIDIA Display Driver for Windows 2000/XP...version 71.84,
    > > 02/24/2005.
    > > I went to Add/Remove Programs and went thru setup. When rebooting, I got
    > > blue screen, which said the computer was halted to avoid damage. I ended
    > > up rolling back to the original driver and then had an icon issue (see
    > > Icon Arrangement post below), but I solved that. I see in the readme.txt
    > > for the drivers, it says to go to Display in Control Panel and the Update
    > > Driver tab. Is this method preferable to doing a full install thru the
    > > driver's setup program?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > > Scott

  17. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    None that I can think of right now. Maybe someone else has more info.

    You are using a setup (implication: Everything is here to make it work)to
    install the new drivers, not an "upgrade" program that may be expecting some
    portion of the previous installation to be left behind if you ran the
    "upgrade" installer without removing anything first. Does that make sense?

    I know sometimes when I run an installer or upgrader, it will "remove" the
    previous program installation. Even then, you don't really know what is
    being "removed" and what is being left behind for this current
    installation/upgrade to use.

    The only thing I can say is that I have used the nVidia driver setup to
    update my video drivers without "add/remove" anything beforehand. Now,
    maybe the nVidia folks have royally screwed something up since I last
    upgraded my drivers. I won't know about that until I have the time to check
    for and do another upgrade. Right now, what I have is working (if it works,
    don't fix it sort of thing) and I am not going to mess with it unless nVidia
    can convince me that their crop of new drivers is going to make my system
    better.

    Sorry I cannot be of more assistance.

    > Turner,
    >

    > I always use Add/Remove Programs and then go to the setup program. In
    > this
    > case, I got a blue screen on reboot. Is there any reason to believe going
    > thru Add/Remove Programs would affect the install?
    >
    > Scott

  18. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Well, 99 times out a 100, when a computer shows up here for service and it needs
    drivers (owner lost the driver CD, etc), I install the drivers from the chip
    manufacturer's web site and all is well. This is true across all name brands
    I've had to service: Gateway, HP, IBM, Dell, Compaq (still a separate brand
    name), eMachines (ditto). Some of them, such as eMachines (before the Gateway
    acquisition/merger/whatayacallit) had such abysmally bad web sites that one
    could not find drivers with a flashlight and bloodhounds. Others, such as HP
    with its Pavilion models, provide only the drivers for the operating system that
    was shipped with the model, and often not even that! Still other name brand
    computer web sites may have the needed drivers, but they are painfully difficult
    to navigate. So I got in the habit of using chipset mfrs drivers and never
    looked back. With scenarios such as those presented by the HP Pavilions and
    eMachines, how would one get the drivers if not from the chipset mfrs web site?

    Chip manufacturers may produce a dumbed-down OEM version of a card or chip, but
    the costs of supporting the OEM chip would double if it had functionality that
    was not present in the mainstream chip. The costs accure in the software area:
    writing drivers, debugging and testing the drivers, fixing defects in drivers,
    posting updated drivers. Chip manufacturers may sometimes produce dumbed-down
    OEM chips, but they are not dumb. They do not want to double their software
    development and support costs for themselves. (Compaq did some entirely bizarre
    chips way back when, having chips manufactured with different register files
    than retail chips, necessitating non-standard drivers. Once Compaq had a taste
    for the mess they'd made for themselves, they stopped doing this. Real fast.
    The person who made the decision to do this probably got whomped over the head
    for the stupid decision.)

    Now I must admit to being enough of a chiphead that it is very easy for me to
    identify the major chips on all the boards inside a computer.

    As my response relates to this newsgroup, EVERY Gateway computer or
    Gateway-branded part I have touched in the last 10+ years going back to 386s
    used absolutely standard chipsets with no required difference in the driver
    software. Even the lamentable Gatrox PCI card uses standard Matrox drivers,
    albeit with a crippled RAMDAC which is only peripherally visible to the drivers.

    20 years in the biz? I can top that. A cinch. I got my first paying job in
    the computer biz in 1962 as an undergraduate student programming in assembly
    language on a GE-225 computer. Stick to facts. Years of survival and
    adaptation to rapid change in the industry have nothing to do with the topic at
    hand.

    As for drivers from the Micro$oft update web site, we are 100% in agreement that
    installing them is like playing Russian roulette... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 05:41:29 GMT, Jed Taylor <aspc-clone-gateway@offthedial.com>
    wrote:

> [...]
    >>brand computers (all brands) in the last 10 years. I read and decipher all the
    >>inscrutable markings on integrated circuits... Ben Myers
    >>
    >>On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 07:57:47 GMT, Jed Taylor <aspc-clone-gateway@offthedial.com>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>I never use M$ Update hardware drivers. They've always corrupted
    >>>machines I support.
    >>>
    >>>OEMs like GW and Dell use non-retail versions of components, so it's
    >>>best to use drivers from those sites. Sometime retail drivers work,
    >>>but there's no guarantee since they might look for features the OEM
    >>>version doesn't have (to keep the costs down).
    >>>
    >>>If you've added a retail card, then use the vendor's site.
    >>>

    >----------------
    >
    >"Jim, you think he's with Jesus now? We only have 30 seconds." - Larry King to "Passion" star Jim Caviezel, on the Pope.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Turner,

    I should have clarified that I went to Add/Remove Programs and removed the
    old Nvidia drivers before running the Setup program for the new drivers.
    Since I got a blue screen on reboot, and then my icons rearranged themselves
    into a rectangular grid (alphabetically) and I couldn't undo this view, I
    rolled back to the previous drivers and then did a Restore to get my icon
    placement back. I'm going to leave well enough alone for now and stick with
    the original drivers. Although, if and when I decide to upgrade to SP2,
    I know I'll have to try updating those video drivers again.

    Scott

    Turner Morgan wrote:

    > None that I can think of right now. Maybe someone else has more info.
    >
    > You are using a setup (implication: Everything is here to make it work)to
    > install the new drivers, not an "upgrade" program that may be expecting some
    > portion of the previous installation to be left behind if you ran the
    > "upgrade" installer without removing anything first. Does that make sense?
    >
    > I know sometimes when I run an installer or upgrader, it will "remove" the
    > previous program installation. Even then, you don't really know what is
    > being "removed" and what is being left behind for this current
    > installation/upgrade to use.
    >
    > The only thing I can say is that I have used the nVidia driver setup to
    > update my video drivers without "add/remove" anything beforehand. Now,
    > maybe the nVidia folks have royally screwed something up since I last
    > upgraded my drivers. I won't know about that until I have the time to check
    > for and do another upgrade. Right now, what I have is working (if it works,
    > don't fix it sort of thing) and I am not going to mess with it unless nVidia
    > can convince me that their crop of new drivers is going to make my system
    > better.
    >
    > Sorry I cannot be of more assistance.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Turner
    >
    > "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
    > > Turner,
    > >

    > > I always use Add/Remove Programs and then go to the setup program. In
    > > this
    > > case, I got a blue screen on reboot. Is there any reason to believe going
    > > thru Add/Remove Programs would affect the install?
    > >
    > > Scott

  20. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Ben,

    If you get a blue screen on reboot when installing updated video drivers,
    does it make sense to try the driver Setup program again, or is it pretty
    much a sure thing that those drivers just aren't going to work?

    Thanks!
    Scott

    Ben Myers wrote:

    > I ran into the same problem when I used the nVidia driver from the Windows
    > update site. The latest driver from the nVidia site is the only way to go.
    > Oddly, the Windows update site flags it for updating, even tho it is newer.
    > Well, so much for letting Micro$oft take control of your computer via automatic
    > updates!!! ... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 13:18:17 -0500, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Turner,

  21. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    NOTHING is a sure thing with Micro$oft Windows and its damnable lamentable
    registry cesspool! I've had occasional blue screens installing various updates,
    after which the system righted itself. There's no clear cut plan of action with
    BSODs after an update. Roll the dice... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 23:09:53 -0500, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:

    >Ben,
    >
    >If you get a blue screen on reboot when installing updated video drivers,
    >does it make sense to try the driver Setup program again, or is it pretty
    >much a sure thing that those drivers just aren't going to work?
    >
    >Thanks!
    >Scott
    >
    >Ben Myers wrote:
    >>
    >> I ran into the same problem when I used the nVidia driver from the Windows
    >> update site. The latest driver from the nVidia site is the only way to go.
    >> Oddly, the Windows update site flags it for updating, even tho it is newer.
    >> Well, so much for letting Micro$oft take control of your computer via automatic
    >> updates!!! ... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 13:18:17 -0500, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Turner,

Gateway Wireless Network Windows XP Computers