Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Strange artifact situation with media players and FX5700

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 13, 2004 5:40:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

This is a problem that's driving me insane. I'm literally losing all sorts
of sleep over it.

I recently put together a system with an ASUS A7V880 mobo and an
AthlonXP3200+ processor. I started out with an old GeForce 440MX video
card - everything worked fine (not fast, but stable) except for one obvious
glitch - playback of videos in RealPlayer and Quicktime was corrupted.

In Realplayer, the image is intermittently smeared and covered in black
dots/drop-out. More dramatically, in Quicktime, the image is constantly
covered in green vertical lines, sometimes just going to a completely solid
green screen. Sound plays back fine. Rather than mess with it all, I
deicided to upgrade my video card to something a little more contemporary
with the Mobo.

So, I got an Aopen FX5700LE 256MB. Just for good measure I un-installed the
Nvidia drivers, reinstalled, and low-and-behold, exactly the same problem.

The system runs fine, I can play games, I get through 3DMark and DirectX
testing fine. But when I try to play a Quicktime .mov or a Realvideo
stream, it's a mess.

Interestingly, video in Windows MediaPlayer is fine, as is DVD video playing
in any program. Older Quicktime files are fine, too (Cinepak encoded videos
run fine in Quicktime, but Sorenson video all plays with the dreaded green
lines and green smears.)

Details on the system:

Asus A7V880 mobo - BIOS 1007.005 (latest non-beta bios)
AthlonXP 3200+ Processor
1 GB System RAM (2x512 modules, DDR using Kingston PC3200 KVR400 sticks)
AOpen GeforceFX5700LE 256MB
SerialATA Western Digital HD
Plextor DVD-RW
PC Power and Cooling - Silencer 360 Power supply
various USB peripherals...
WindowsXP Pro upgraded directly to SP-2

My first inclination was the drivers... I'm currently running Nvidia's
66.93, but have also tried 66.77 and 52.16 (first driver to support the
5700). Between each driver change, I've uninstalled the driver, rebooted
into safe mode, run DriverCleaner3, erased any traces of the drivers, then
re-installed.

Since changing drivers didn't help, and the problem is the same with both
the 440MX and the 5700LE, I thought it might be a BIOS setting problem on
the motherboard. I've adjusted the PCI latency in the BIOS (I've seen this
cause similar "green screen" problems in overlays before on video editing
systems), I adjusted the card's latency using various tweak utilities,
nothing seems to help. I've changed the AGP aperture (currently at 128),
I've adjusted the AGP voltage, etc.

I thought it could be bad system memory, so I've tried pulling one stick of
the 512mb memory, then the other. Always the same.

The power supply is brand new, but I thought it might be lacking, so I've
pulled as many components as possible out of the system, unplugged all the
USB, etc. No help. Also remembering that I can play EA's "Return of the
King" for hours with no hangs and no real problems. I can get through
3DMark with no problem and no glitches (usually gets a low 2,000+ score,
with no attempt to close other programs, etc). I know 360watts isn't the
biggest power supply, but it's from a good company and new...

I've tried turning down the "Hardware Acceleration" in the display control
panel - no help at any setting. I've tried the "Safe Mode" in Quicktime -
no help. I've tried disabling Directdraw and Direct3D in DirectX - I still
get the green screens and green lines in Quicktime.

I thought maybe it was an AGP problem. I've tried going down to 4x - no
help. I've tried various AGP system drivers for the ASUS board. I'm
currently using the UAGP35.SYS "Via CPU to AGP Controller" driver preferred
by Microsoft, but I've also tried older drivers and the Via 4-in-1 driver
last included in the 4.53 Hyperion set. I've tried the current 4.55
4-in-1's and I've tried it without them all together. I've tried the card
running in PCI mode even.

Nothing.

Convinced that perhaps I'd corrupted CODECS somehow (even though
reinstalling Quicktime - both the web installer and the full download - does
nothing to help) I decided to try a clean install of windows on another IDE
harddrive. So pulled my main harddrive and I reinstalled Windows. This let
me test WindowsXP Pro without any service packs. No other software
installed. No other drivers. Just WinXP and Quicktime. Tried it with the
standard VGA driver (still green streaks). Tried it with Nvidia drivers.
Upgraded to SP2. Played with BIOS settings.

It seems no matter what I do, I have this problem.

Given that the problem is reproducible across various installations of
Windows, and with two different Nvidia cards, I'm almost SURE it's either a
motherboard issue (BIOS setting I'm overlooking?) or a power supply problem.
The latter seems far fetched...

Does anyone have an FX5700LE working with an Asus A7V880?

Is this a common problem that I'm just being an idiot about?

I've got the case open, lots of fans on it. I don't think it's
overheating - and it's not erratic enough to be, really.

It's VERY consistent. ALWAYS exactly the same problem - green lines and
green screens in Quicktime video and black specs in Realplayer video.

At this point, I'm about ready to run out and buy an ATI card, but I have
this funny feeling I'll get the same problem (unfortunately the last ATI
card I had was an ATI Xpert98, so I don't have anything modern to pop in and
test).

I'm only a some-times gamer, but I do want simple video files to play!

ANY suggestions at this point would be appreciated. I've got the extra HD
with just XP SP-2 installed, so I can mess with that as much as needed. I
KNOW there are people who must be using this card sucessfully with this
mobo. I've just run out of ideas. I have no idea what to try next.

And it's driving me mad.

Thanks for any help you can provide...

-Neil
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 6:38:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Neil:
> In Realplayer, the image is intermittently smeared and covered in
> black dots/drop-out. More dramatically, in Quicktime, the image is
> constantly covered in green vertical lines, sometimes just going to a
> completely solid green screen.

Have you tried the troubleshooting steps here:
Why is my video distorted or not displaying at all [Windows only]?
http://service.real.com/help/player/plus_manual.g2/htmf...

Have you tried videos from other downloads? Is it possible the video(s)
you are testing are themselves corrupted?

On your experimental drive... did you install the programs from the same
source as before (i.e. cd-rom) or did you download them fresh?

Did you test with the same videos as before or did you download new videos
from a different source?

I just have a hard accepting that it's a hardware problem. It could be
some obscure driver conflict. Have you tried removing all unnecessary
cards from your machine and trying it?
--
Mac Cool
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 13, 2004 7:13:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Hi Mac-

Thanks for you help.

In order:

Yes, I've visited several Real and Quicktime related troubleshooting sites,
and have been through the steps mentioned in your link. Turning down/off
"optimized" video in Realplayer doesn't seem to make any difference. (Same
with "safe mode" in Quicktime.)

I've tried many different video files from various sources. I've also tried
the videos I most often use to test the problem on other systems, and they
play back perfectly on every other system. When I was working with the
second "test" harddrive/system, I tried both fresh downloads of videos and
the same "reference videos" - the problem is definitely not in the videos
themselves. (For instance, every video on the Quicktime site has the same
problem. Video can stream from the harddrive of my problem system, across my
home network to another machine and play fine...) The problem is the same
whether video is playing from the harddrive or streaming over the net.

When I created the experimental system, I downloaded Quicktime Player and
Realplayer fresh from Apple and Real.

I agree with you that it must be some weird conflict. I'm not really using
any strange or off-market cards or devices. (I have a 3Com modem (which is
pulled at the moment) and an Adaptec SCSI adapter.) When I was testing my
PSU, I removed every card that wasn't necessary, and disabled anything that
was on the mobo (SoundMax multimedia, NIC adapter, etc) and also either had
not loaded or unloaded and/or disabled the drivers in Device Manager.

My initial "test" system using the alternate experimental harddrive was
incredibly sparse. I tried to load as little as possible and still have the
system running, to look for exactly the sort of conflicts you're suggesting.

But just to be sure, I'll try one more time.

I really feel that it MUST be either something conflicting with the drivers
or a BOIS/Mobo setting that I'm missing.

Thanks for your very quick reply...

-Neil

"Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
news:Xns95BE6C4B51B41MacCool@24.25.9.42...
> Neil:
>> In Realplayer, the image is intermittently smeared and covered in
>> black dots/drop-out. More dramatically, in Quicktime, the image is
>> constantly covered in green vertical lines, sometimes just going to a
>> completely solid green screen.
>
> Have you tried the troubleshooting steps here:
> Why is my video distorted or not displaying at all [Windows only]?
> http://service.real.com/help/player/plus_manual.g2/htmf...
>
> Have you tried videos from other downloads? Is it possible the video(s)
> you are testing are themselves corrupted?
>
> On your experimental drive... did you install the programs from the same
> source as before (i.e. cd-rom) or did you download them fresh?
>
> Did you test with the same videos as before or did you download new videos
> from a different source?
>
> I just have a hard accepting that it's a hardware problem. It could be
> some obscure driver conflict. Have you tried removing all unnecessary
> cards from your machine and trying it?
> --
> Mac Cool
December 13, 2004 7:19:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Oh, and for the record...

Changing resolution/color depth (as listed in the Real helpfile) also has no
effect on the problem.

-Neil

"Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
news:Xns95BE6C4B51B41MacCool@24.25.9.42...
> Neil:
>> In Realplayer, the image is intermittently smeared and covered in
>> black dots/drop-out. More dramatically, in Quicktime, the image is
>> constantly covered in green vertical lines, sometimes just going to a
>> completely solid green screen.
>
> Have you tried the troubleshooting steps here:
> Why is my video distorted or not displaying at all [Windows only]?
> http://service.real.com/help/player/plus_manual.g2/htmf...
>
> Have you tried videos from other downloads? Is it possible the video(s)
> you are testing are themselves corrupted?
>
> On your experimental drive... did you install the programs from the same
> source as before (i.e. cd-rom) or did you download them fresh?
>
> Did you test with the same videos as before or did you download new videos
> from a different source?
>
> I just have a hard accepting that it's a hardware problem. It could be
> some obscure driver conflict. Have you tried removing all unnecessary
> cards from your machine and trying it?
> --
> Mac Cool
December 13, 2004 8:39:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Mac-

I just put the "experimental" harddrive back into the system, and pulled
every card except the FX5700. So at this point, the onboard sound is off,
no drivers have ever been loaded into Windows except for the Nvidia drivers
and the onboard Marvell NIC. I uninstalled the NIC drivers and rebooted -
now it's really just the display adapters and Quicktime. Nothing else that
isn't part of the motherboard (and even some things on the board, like the
USB 2.0 controllers, etc, aren't installed). No drivers that didn't come
with Windows.

Still the same problem. So the only 3rd party driver that could possibly be
conflicting with the Nvidia drivers is the Marvell ethernet driver, which I
uninstalled, and is a part of every A77V880, so if that's the culprit, it
seems like there'd be someone else complaining about it.

Otherwise we're left with WindowsXP and BIOS settings.

So confused.

-Neil

"Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
news:Xns95BE6C4B51B41MacCool@24.25.9.42...
> Neil:
>> In Realplayer, the image is intermittently smeared and covered in
>> black dots/drop-out. More dramatically, in Quicktime, the image is
>> constantly covered in green vertical lines, sometimes just going to a
>> completely solid green screen.
>
> Have you tried the troubleshooting steps here:
> Why is my video distorted or not displaying at all [Windows only]?
> http://service.real.com/help/player/plus_manual.g2/htmf...
>
> Have you tried videos from other downloads? Is it possible the video(s)
> you are testing are themselves corrupted?
>
> On your experimental drive... did you install the programs from the same
> source as before (i.e. cd-rom) or did you download them fresh?
>
> Did you test with the same videos as before or did you download new videos
> from a different source?
>
> I just have a hard accepting that it's a hardware problem. It could be
> some obscure driver conflict. Have you tried removing all unnecessary
> cards from your machine and trying it?
> --
> Mac Cool
December 13, 2004 9:39:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I demand that on Mon, 13 Dec 2004 15:04:42 +0000, Neil may or may not have
written:

> Again, I'm open to any options. All help will be appreciated.

Have tried booting with a Knoppix cd? If it works ok there, that would
rule out hardware problems.

--
Jafar Calley
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
d+ s-:+ a C++++ L++ E--- W++ N++ w-- PE- t* 5++ R+ !tv D+ G e* h---- x?
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
Registered Linux User #359623
http://fatcat.homelinux.org
December 13, 2004 9:39:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Jafar-

I have not tested this system with any flavor of Linux, but I'm currently
downloading Knoppix 3.7.

Not sure how I'll be able to test the problem, since I don't think Knoppix
has either a Quicktime or Real client or clone, and if there is, I doubt it
will be similar enough to have the same problem, but we'll see. I've never
played with Knoppix before.

Maybe some other anomaly will arise that will illuminate the situation.

Thanks for the idea.

-Neil



"jafar" <nomorev14gra@idontlike.spam> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.12.13.17.39.14.392763@idontlike.spam...
>I demand that on Mon, 13 Dec 2004 15:04:42 +0000, Neil may or may not have
> written:
>
>> Again, I'm open to any options. All help will be appreciated.
>
> Have tried booting with a Knoppix cd? If it works ok there, that would
> rule out hardware problems.
>
> --
> Jafar Calley
> -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
> d+ s-:+ a C++++ L++ E--- W++ N++ w-- PE- t* 5++ R+ !tv D+ G e* h---- x?
> ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
> Registered Linux User #359623
> http://fatcat.homelinux.org
>
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 6:42:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Neil:

> Still the same problem. ...
> Otherwise we're left with WindowsXP and BIOS settings.

Damn. I can't remember if you've upgraded the bios, but I would try that
because you have nothing to lose.

Actually the Knoppix idea is excellent. There are Quicktime & Real players
for Linux:
https://player.helixcommunity.org/
http://www.real.com/freeplayer/?rppr=rnwk
http://freshmeat.net/projects/quicktimeforlinux/

After that, I'm stuck.
--
Mac Cool
December 14, 2004 7:57:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Hi again Mac-

Yeah, I've flashed to the latest BIOS, and tried an earlier one just for
giggles. Was the first thing I did when I got the board.

No luck.

-Neil


"Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
news:Xns95BEE701562ACMacCool@24.25.9.41...
> Neil:
>
>> Still the same problem. ...
>> Otherwise we're left with WindowsXP and BIOS settings.
>
> Damn. I can't remember if you've upgraded the bios, but I would try that
> because you have nothing to lose.
>
> Actually the Knoppix idea is excellent. There are Quicktime & Real players
> for Linux:
> https://player.helixcommunity.org/
> http://www.real.com/freeplayer/?rppr=rnwk
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/quicktimeforlinux/
>
> After that, I'm stuck.
> --
> Mac Cool
December 14, 2004 10:52:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Mac-

Just looking back over your post. You mean flash the 5700's BIOS, don't you?
Not the motherboard...

That I haven't done.

I'll look into it, if that's what you mean...

-Neil

"Neil" <weathertop7@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:8puvd.3129$2J2.737@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> Hi again Mac-
>
> Yeah, I've flashed to the latest BIOS, and tried an earlier one just for
> giggles. Was the first thing I did when I got the board.
>
> No luck.
>
> -Neil
>
>
> "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns95BEE701562ACMacCool@24.25.9.41...
>> Neil:
>>
>>> Still the same problem. ...
>>> Otherwise we're left with WindowsXP and BIOS settings.
>>
>> Damn. I can't remember if you've upgraded the bios, but I would try that
>> because you have nothing to lose.
>>
>> Actually the Knoppix idea is excellent. There are Quicktime & Real
>> players
>> for Linux:
>> https://player.helixcommunity.org/
>> http://www.real.com/freeplayer/?rppr=rnwk
>> http://freshmeat.net/projects/quicktimeforlinux/
>>
>> After that, I'm stuck.
>> --
>> Mac Cool
>
>
December 14, 2004 11:01:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

More testing...

So, by this afternoon, after about two weeks of pain and struggle, I finally
just decided to bite the bullet and dashed out to buy an ATI Radeon9600XT.

And guess what?

Same problem!!!

At least so far. Right now I'm once again reformatting and reinstalling a
clean version of WindowsXP Pro on my experimental harddrive. Then I'll just
install the ATI drivers - no possibility of Nvidia leftovers whatsoever.

But I have a feeling the result is going to be the same.

I've already tried various ATI drivers, mem configs, BIOS settings, flashed
the BIOS on the Mobo to an earlier version, back to the current version,
etc, etc... Turned on AGP, turned it off, played with accelleration settings
in Windows and software... Everything short of reinstalling Windows just to
see if i could coax the 9600 to work. Nope. (Again, it went through
benchmarks and DirectX Diag perfectly. Just the problem with Quicktime...)

So we'll see what a clean install does.

If this doesn't work, and someone doesn't show up on the board with a
sudden, "Oh yeah. Of course. That's the xxxx glitch. Just do this..." then
I'm going to trash the motherboard and get something with an nVidia chipset,
I guess....

Grrrr.

Still open to suggestions, though.

-Neil
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 3:17:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Neil" <weathertop7@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:xRhvd.9592$yr1.5559@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Interestingly, video in Windows MediaPlayer is fine, as is DVD video
> playing in any program. Older Quicktime files are fine, too (Cinepak
> encoded videos run fine in Quicktime, but Sorenson video all plays with
> the dreaded green lines and green smears.)

I've had the problem with Sorensen encoded files showing the green mess.
IIRC I solved it by installing the latest version of QuickTime.

Dan
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 5:18:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Neil:

> If this doesn't work, and someone doesn't show up on the board with a
> sudden, "Oh yeah. Of course. That's the xxxx glitch. Just do
> this..." then I'm going to trash the motherboard and get something
> with an nVidia chipset, I guess....

I would. I once had a system that just would not work properly. I could
take out individual parts and test them in other systems and they would
work fine. I could put new parts in that case and they worked fine but put
that one particular combination together and it was problem city. I parted
the machine out and never received a single complaint about any of the
components. Sometimes solving the problem ends up causing so many grey
hairs it isn't worth it.
--
Mac Cool
December 15, 2004 5:18:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Hi Dan-

Thanks for the suggestion. While I am having problems with QuickTime files
(Sorenson especially), I'm also seeing corruption in other players/media
(i.e. Realplayer), and upgrading/downgrading Quicktime, as well as testing
various installations in various versions of XP haven't helped. I've
uninstalled and installed and done every permutation of these players that I
can think of...

In the past I've encountered little Quicktime glitches that an upgrade has
fixed as well. This seems to be something more sinister.

-Neil

"Spack" <news@worldofspack.co.uk> wrote in message
news:41bed9d0$0$15058$afc38c87@news.easynet.co.uk...
> "Neil" <weathertop7@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:xRhvd.9592$yr1.5559@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>> Interestingly, video in Windows MediaPlayer is fine, as is DVD video
>> playing in any program. Older Quicktime files are fine, too (Cinepak
>> encoded videos run fine in Quicktime, but Sorenson video all plays with
>> the dreaded green lines and green smears.)
>
> I've had the problem with Sorensen encoded files showing the green mess.
> IIRC I solved it by installing the latest version of QuickTime.
>
> Dan
>
December 15, 2004 5:25:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Yeah, I've been there too, and I think this may be the case.

Just a freak thing.

In fact, it was flukes and incompatibilities like this that drove me to
start spending more on name brand mobo's, memory, etc back in the early days
when it was actually cheaper to build your own computer than to buy a new
one... And I haven't really had a problem like this in years. Minor
glitches and stuff that took some troubleshooting or swapping around, but
this just stumps me.

The killer is that the ATI card did the same thing! It's gotta be the
motherboard or the chipset. Some weird incompatibility or some low-level
setting I'm missing. Who knows...

So I'll try a new motherboard or maybe a whole new machine, and spread the
bits and pieces from this one out to up upgrade other stuff.

So weird. And frustrating to finally cave and spend the money to upgrade,
and wind up like this... Oh well.

Thanks for all your help.

-Neil


"Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
news:Xns95BF5ECA6FFF1MacCool@24.25.9.41...
> Neil:
>
>> If this doesn't work, and someone doesn't show up on the board with a
>> sudden, "Oh yeah. Of course. That's the xxxx glitch. Just do
>> this..." then I'm going to trash the motherboard and get something
>> with an nVidia chipset, I guess....
>
> I would. I once had a system that just would not work properly. I could
> take out individual parts and test them in other systems and they would
> work fine. I could put new parts in that case and they worked fine but put
> that one particular combination together and it was problem city. I parted
> the machine out and never received a single complaint about any of the
> components. Sometimes solving the problem ends up causing so many grey
> hairs it isn't worth it.
> --
> Mac Cool
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 2:12:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Neil" <weathertop7@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:S9Nvd.4110$2J2.3805@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> Hi Dan-
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. While I am having problems with QuickTime
> files (Sorenson especially), I'm also seeing corruption in other
> players/media (i.e. Realplayer), and upgrading/downgrading Quicktime, as
> well as testing various installations in various versions of XP haven't
> helped. I've uninstalled and installed and done every permutation of these
> players that I can think of...
>
> In the past I've encountered little Quicktime glitches that an upgrade has
> fixed as well. This seems to be something more sinister.

I guess it's possible that they need a good clean uninstall and install from
scratch. Something may have messed with the codecs they use. The other
possibility is that if they are capable of using DirectShow, then a codec
from outside is messing things up. FFDShow used to cause havoc on my system,
and I vaguely remember at one point it appeared that it messed up QuickTime
too, even though it's a DirectShow codec that should have only affected WMP.
If you've installed something like the Nimo codec pack that's a possible
source of corruption - it's better to install just the codecs you need, as
some of these packs of files end up overwriting newer files or including
filters that work in conjunction with existing codecs, but are no longer
fully compatible with newer versions.

I've personally avoided installing Real on any machine I own. So far I
haven't needed to use it, and the one time I had a RM file I wanted to play
I ended up converting it to a DivX AVI (I can't remember the software I used
to do it though).

Dan
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 2:23:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Just had a thought, have you ever seen the video clips you're trying to
watch working on another PC? Are you sure the source files aren't corrupt. I
know it sounds like a stupid question, but if the files are messed up no
amount of messing with your PC will fix it. I've spent hours in the past
trying to solve a media playback problem only to find that when I checked
the source file with G-Spot it told me that the source file had a header
mismatch, basically the file was not created correctly in the first place
and the issues I was seeing were due to the player picking the wrong parts
of the file out during playback.

Dan
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 2:31:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Ignore that reply, I forgot in your original post you said you'd tried a
clean install with only QT installed. Sorry.

Dan
December 15, 2004 4:17:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

> Just had a thought, have you ever seen the video clips you're trying to
> watch working on another PC? Are you sure the source files aren't corrupt.
> I

Hi Dan-

Yeah, I've been very careful about testing with files that I know work on
other systems. And trying freshly downloaded files, test files streaming
from the software provider's sites, from other computers, etc. Every
file/site I have a problem with works perfectly on the other 4 desktops and
2 laptops I have in the house.

Any other ideas?

-Neil
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 7:24:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Neil" <weathertop7@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:mPWvd.142$yK.82@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>> Just had a thought, have you ever seen the video clips you're trying to
>> watch working on another PC? Are you sure the source files aren't
>> corrupt. I
>
> Hi Dan-
>
> Yeah, I've been very careful about testing with files that I know work on
> other systems. And trying freshly downloaded files, test files streaming
> from the software provider's sites, from other computers, etc. Every
> file/site I have a problem with works perfectly on the other 4 desktops
> and 2 laptops I have in the house.
>
> Any other ideas?

The QT and Real installations you're using haven't been the same ones each
time you've reinstalled, have they?

It really does sound like a problem with the video decoders in the software
rather than hardware.

Dan
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 9:00:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Spack:

> The QT and Real installations you're using haven't been the same ones
> each time you've reinstalled, have they?
>
> It really does sound like a problem with the video decoders in the
> software rather than hardware.

How does that explain it not working on a clean install on a vanilla
drive?
--
Mac Cool
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 9:07:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
news:Xns95C084641D3CMacCool@24.25.9.43...
> Spack:
>
>> The QT and Real installations you're using haven't been the same ones
>> each time you've reinstalled, have they?
>>
>> It really does sound like a problem with the video decoders in the
>> software rather than hardware.
>
> How does that explain it not working on a clean install on a vanilla
> drive?

If the QT and Real installation files are corrupt, it won't matter if the OS
is a clean install.

Dan
December 16, 2004 3:35:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

> The QT and Real installations you're using haven't been the same ones each
> time you've reinstalled, have they?
>
> It really does sound like a problem with the video decoders in the
> software rather than hardware.
>

I agree that it seems like the decoders getting hung up somewhere. But I've
been very careful to try different installations, reload new ones, used
slightly older ones... And each time I've made a fresh installation of
Windows, I've downloaded a new version of QT/Real from their providers...

And what are the chances of BOTH the Quicktime AND Realplayer install
packages both being corrupt?

But you're right to check. It certainly feels like that sort of problem.

Thanks,

-Neil
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 12:24:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Neil" <weathertop7@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:BL4wd.666$yK.126@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>> The QT and Real installations you're using haven't been the same ones
>> each time you've reinstalled, have they?
>>
>> It really does sound like a problem with the video decoders in the
>> software rather than hardware.
>>
>
> I agree that it seems like the decoders getting hung up somewhere. But
> I've been very careful to try different installations, reload new ones,
> used slightly older ones... And each time I've made a fresh installation
> of Windows, I've downloaded a new version of QT/Real from their
> providers...
>
> And what are the chances of BOTH the Quicktime AND Realplayer install
> packages both being corrupt?
>
> But you're right to check. It certainly feels like that sort of problem.

When you download them, do you have an antivirus program running? Or do you
use a download manager? It's a long shot, but maybe the downloads are being
corrupted as they are being saved. At this point I've pretty much exhausted
what I'd look for. I do have a habit of suddenly thinking of things of try
at the most inconvenient moment (my fiancee keeps a pen and a piece of paper
handing in her handbag for those moments when we're out and about and I have
a fit of inspiration about how to solve a particular programming issue at
work), so if I think of anything else I'll post some ideas. I just wish I
could remember exactly what I did to solve the Sorensen green issue on my
own PC - I can't be sure I just updated to the latest version of QT. I'm
pretty sure it's not an AMD issue - I have an XP2400 myself, and you're
using another XP CPU (although mine is a Thoroughbred, not a Barton), if you
had an AMD64 then maybe that would be something to look at. I've got friends
with XP3000 and XP3200 CPUs who don't have problems with QT on XP (clean,
SP1, and SP2) so that pretty much rules it out.

Dan
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 12:43:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Do you still have the nVidia card available to try? I've been digging around
a bit more, and found some posts on a forum that suggest it might be your
choice of driver. I know 52.16 had some issues and never ran it, and it
appears that the two 6x.xx drivers you tried are ones that other people have
had trouble with QT showing green with. In every case the person tried the
56.72 driver, and it solved it. Funnily enough I'm running the 56.72 driver
on both of my PCs (FX5900XT and Ti4200, both running XP Pro SP2). It could
well be a driver issue.

If it really is a driver issue, then the ATI 9600XT driver you used appears
to suffer from the same issue. Seems extremely unlikely, but I can help test
the theory is you like - I have a 9200SE in the PC I use at work, with XP
Pro SP2, if you can tell me what driver you're using and point me to a URL
for a QT file that is exhibiting the green problem I'll run the same drivers
here and see what happens (of course, the 9200 isn't the same as the 9600,
but hopefully if it's a driver problem it shouldn't matter).

One last thing to try, although this isn't a solution, it's a temporary
workaround - go to Display Properties, choose Settings, then the Advanced
button. Go to the Troubleshoot tab, reduce the Hardware Acceleration by one
step. If you have Enable Write Combining enabled, disable it. Click Apply,
reboot if needed. Try the video. If it doesn't fix it, keep repeating,
reducing the acceleration by one step each time. If this "fixes" it, then at
least you know the codecs are not the problem - it could well be your
motherboard, or your power supply (although I doubt the latter, as I'd
expect to see artifacting in 3dMark too). Pretty sure it won't be your RAM,
and you've eliminated the graphics as the problem.

Let me know how you get on.

Dan
!