Pathetic!

6600 (non GT 128bit) AGP = $220.00 range
6600 (non GT 128bit) PCI-X = $125.00

At this rate, I'll never be able to upgrade.

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

That does not sound right. I believe you are comparing apples to oranges as
their is no such thing as a 6600 agp (not yet at least). There is a 6600GT
agp which sells in the $220 to $240 range.

DaveL

"Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> wrote in message
> 6600 (non GT 128bit) AGP = $220.00 range
> 6600 (non GT 128bit) PCI-X = $125.00
>
> At this rate, I'll never be able to upgrade.

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

thats why I am starting to begining to think upgrading to pci express will
be better in the long run sigh :(

"Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> wrote in message
> 6600 (non GT 128bit) AGP = $220.00 range
> 6600 (non GT 128bit) PCI-X = $125.00
>
> At this rate, I'll never be able to upgrade.

Supply and demand. The AGP version is just beginning to "flow into the
retail channel", with a lot more people looking to buy one.

Though in the $220 range it makes more sense to pick up a 6800 NU.

"Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> wrote in message
> 6600 (non GT 128bit) AGP = $220.00 range
> 6600 (non GT 128bit) PCI-X = $125.00
>
> At this rate, I'll never be able to upgrade.

bmchan

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2004

If memory serves my correctly, they (NVIDIA) are not planning a
non-gt version of the AGP card.

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:40:24 -0800, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
wrote:

>That does not sound right. I believe you are comparing apples to oranges as
>their is no such thing as a 6600 agp (not yet at least). There is a 6600GT
>agp which sells in the $220 to $240 range.
>

>DaveL
>

>"Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> wrote in message
>> 6600 (non GT 128bit) AGP = $220.00 range
>> 6600 (non GT 128bit) PCI-X = $125.00
>>
>> At this rate, I'll never be able to upgrade.

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

I don't believe it. I mean, why would they do that? It makes no sense.
There is a bundle of money to be made selling 6600 agp cards. Besides,
Nvidia would have a major, gaping hole right in the middle their gpu
line-up.

DaveL

"Bmchan" <bchiiin@spammmm.net> wrote in message
> If memory serves my correctly, they (NVIDIA) are not planning a
> non-gt version of the AGP card.
>

> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:40:24 -0800, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> >That does not sound right. I believe you are comparing apples to oranges
as
> >their is no such thing as a 6600 agp (not yet at least). There is a
6600GT
> >agp which sells in the $220 to $240 range.
> >

> >DaveL
> >

> >"Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> wrote in message
> >> 6600 (non GT 128bit) AGP = $220.00 range
> >> 6600 (non GT 128bit) PCI-X = $125.00
> >>
> >> At this rate, I'll never be able to upgrade.

"Bmchan" <bchiiin@spammmm.net> wrote
> If memory serves my correctly, they (NVIDIA) are not planning a
> non-gt version of the AGP card.

Yes, all the reviews say that the 6600 plain will be pcx only.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

And surely they are all 256 bit? Maybe 128 meg?

DaveL wrote:
> I don't believe it. I mean, why would they do that? It makes no sense.
> There is a bundle of money to be made selling 6600 agp cards. Besides,
> Nvidia would have a major, gaping hole right in the middle their gpu
> line-up.
>
> DaveL
>

> "Bmchan" <bchiiin@spammmm.net> wrote in message
>
>>If memory serves my correctly, they (NVIDIA) are not planning a
>>non-gt version of the AGP card.
>>

>>On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:40:24 -0800, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>That does not sound right. I believe you are comparing apples to oranges
>
> as
>
>>>their is no such thing as a 6600 agp (not yet at least). There is a
>
> 6600GT
>
>>>agp which sells in the $220 to $240 range.
>>>

>>>DaveL
>>>

>>>"Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> wrote in message

Limited potential market in the longrun. NVIDIA does not make money off
legacy products like PC manufacturers might (OEMS and retailers).

Moving to PCI-E is very important to NVIDIA's strategy. That said, I'm
still trying to wrangle a 6600GT soon.

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:01:07 -0600, Larry Roberts <skin-e@juno.com>
wrote:

>6600 (non GT 128bit) AGP = $220.00 range
>6600 (non GT 128bit) PCI-X = $125.00
>
> At this rate, I'll never be able to upgrade.

Your all right about not any plain AGP cards. The ad I seen
said "GeForce 6600 AGP" for $220. I took it at face value, but in the
small print, it said "Nvidia 6600GT GPU". I thought that an AGP
version of plain 6600 had been made. Oh well. I'm still unable to
upgrade anytime within the next 3 yrs, or so now.

"PRIVATE1964" <private1964@aol.com> wrote
> They are selling a 6800 for $200 this week at CompUSA because of rebates.

Apparently there's a capacitor floating around in the packages of the PNY
6800. Buyer beware.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

>If memory serves my correctly, they (NVIDIA) are not planning a
>non-gt version of the AGP card.

I read that somewhere also.

>Apparently there's a capacitor floating around in the packages of the PNY
>6800. Buyer beware.

This is a totally new sale besides the capacitor is free.

"PRIVATE1964" <private1964@aol.com> wrote in message
> >Apparently there's a capacitor floating around in the packages of the PNY
> >6800. Buyer beware.
>
> This is a totally new sale besides the capacitor is free.

Yeah, free of its mounting pad...

>Yeah, free of its mounting pad...

What's wrong with that?

It's never enough for you people, you get something extra and you complain
about it.

>Your all right about not any plain AGP cards. The ad I seen
>said "GeForce 6600 AGP" for $220. I took it at face value, but in the
>small print, it said "Nvidia 6600GT GPU". I thought that an AGP
>version of plain 6600 had been made. Oh well. I'm still unable to
>upgrade anytime within the next 3 yrs, or so now.

I don't think the 6600GT AGP prices are gonna stay high for very long.

"PRIVATE1964" <private1964@aol.com> wrote
> I don't think the 6600GT AGP prices are gonna stay high for very long.
They're down to $225 at newegg.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

> >Yeah, free of its mounting pad...
>
> What's wrong with that?

All fun and games until someone loses an eye...or their video signal...

> It's never enough for you people, you get something extra and you complain
> about it.

Oh, like that space where it *should* be ain't all lonely and broken-hearted
for its absence? ;-)

Me, I'd most likely just solder it back in place, that is, if I didn't make
it a habit of ripping open the box after paying for it before leaving
CompUSA (marginally better than BB), in the very infrequent occasions I ever
buy hardware there (BB felches medicine balls thru a bendie straw, just
visualize a garden snake after swallowing whole ostrich eggs to get a
to-scale idea of CompUSA)...

>All fun and games until someone loses an eye...or their video signal...

If you lose an eye that's one less thing to bother you while running a low
refresh rate right? So why complain?

>Oh, like that space where it *should* be ain't all lonely and broken-hearted
>for its absence? ;-)

Not at all, that space was probably for some other component they forgot to
solder on correctly.

>Me, I'd most likely just solder it back in place, that is, if I didn't make
>it a habit of ripping open the box after paying for it before leaving
>CompUSA (marginally better than BB), in the very infrequent occasions I ever
>buy hardware there (BB felches medicine balls thru a bendie straw, just
>visualize a garden snake after swallowing whole ostrich eggs to get a
>to-scale idea of CompUSA)...

I might consider soldering it back on also, but what if the card has some other
problems down the road and you return it. They see the capacitor soldered back
on and they blame you for its problems. I would keep returning the card until I
got one with everything attached

> >All fun and games until someone loses an eye...or their video signal...
>
> If you lose an eye that's one less thing to bother you while running a low
> refresh rate right? So why complain?

Now that's just plain silly. I mean, really, what happens if you're One Eyed
Jack Nasty, the Scourge of the Seven Seas? That might be a serious
impediment to your career ambitions...

I'll keep an eye out for that low refresh rate...

> >Oh, like that space where it *should* be ain't all lonely and
broken-hearted
> >for its absence? ;-)
>
> Not at all, that space was probably for some other component they forgot
> solder on correctly.

Oh, so they randomly salt the boxes with a capacitor that just happens to
correspond to the marking on the PCB where it may or may not go? I gotcha...
;-) I think they must put the card components to the Enhanced Wiggle Test
("Oopsy!..." "Bah, don't worry, Ho Ki, happens allatime, just throw it in
there...stupid gwailos..." "Hahahahahaa") before they get boxed...

> >Me, I'd most likely just solder it back in place, that is, if I didn't
make
> >it a habit of ripping open the box after paying for it before leaving
> >CompUSA (marginally better than BB), in the very infrequent occasions I
ever
> >buy hardware there (BB felches medicine balls thru a bendie straw, just
> >visualize a garden snake after swallowing whole ostrich eggs to get a
> >to-scale idea of CompUSA)...
>
> I might consider soldering it back on also, but what if the card has some
other
> problems down the road and you return it. They see the capacitor soldered
back
> on

Hmph. I can make very convincingly factory-looking solder joints. Yep, I use
a magnifying glass and a very small tip for that sort of thing. Now this
statement: "they see the capacitor soldered back on", given a very unsloppy
solder job, might this also imply they knew the damn thing wasn't soldered
on in the first place, and they either are in complicity with Buh Phord the
CFC-Sniffing Wave-Solder Monkey, or perhaps just wanted to see how many
eejits wanted to void the warranty by "fixing" it?

and they blame you for its problems. I would keep returning the card until
> got one with everything attached

That's exactly why I open the box before I leave...

>Now that's just plain silly. I mean, really, what happens if you're One Eyed
>Jack Nasty, the Scourge of the Seven Seas? That might be a serious
>impediment to your career ambitions...
>
>I'll keep an eye out for that low refresh rate...

lmao

!>Oh, so they randomly salt the boxes with a capacitor that just happens to
>correspond to the marking on the PCB where it may or may not go? I gotcha...
>;-) I think they must put the card components to the Enhanced Wiggle Test
>("Oopsy!..." "Bah, don't worry, Ho Ki, happens allatime, just throw it in
>there...stupid gwailos..." "Hahahahahaa") before they get boxed...

Yeah maybe they shake the box really hard a few times to make sure everything
is attached well. So your gonna fault them for in depth diagnostic testing?

>Hmph. I can make very convincingly factory-looking solder joints. Yep, I use
>a magnifying glass and a very small tip for that sort of thing. Now this
>statement: "they see the capacitor soldered back on", given a very unsloppy
>solder job, might this also imply they knew the damn thing wasn't soldered
>on in the first place, and they either are in complicity with Buh Phord the
>CFC-Sniffing Wave-Solder Monkey, or perhaps just wanted to see how many
>eejits wanted to void the warranty by "fixing" it?
>
> and they blame you for its problems. I would keep returning the card until

I got it! The loose capacitor in the boxes is a test to find new soldering
employee's.

>That's exactly why I open the box before I leave...

Why don't you just shake it really hard and listen for anything loose?

>They're down to $225 at newegg.

I think they are gonna drop fast, ATI seems to be gearing up for a little price
war.

> >They're down to $225 at newegg.
>
> I think they are gonna drop fast, ATI seems to be gearing up for a little
> price
> war.

Actually the $240 one still is $240, but some other have come out.
I hope you're right!

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

"PRIVATE1964" <private1964@aol.com> wrote in message

snip

> >;-) I think they must put the card components to the Enhanced Wiggle Test
> >("Oopsy!..." "Bah, don't worry, Ho Ki, happens allatime, just throw it in
> >there...stupid gwailos..." "Hahahahahaa") before they get boxed...
>
> Yeah maybe they shake the box really hard a few times to make sure
everything
> is attached well. So your gonna fault them for in depth diagnostic
testing?

Nah, they paw each widget sticking above PCB level until something falls
off...and who says anything about blaming them? After all, they prolly work
under conditions that aren't exactly OSHA-friendly, sniffing industrial
chemicals all day, like trichloroethylene, maybe some nice carbon
tetrachloride (good stuff!), toluene, xylene, cigarettes in the break
room...mmmm...head rush...
_ _
+ +

snip

> > and they blame you for its problems. I would keep returning the card
until

> I got it! The loose capacitor in the boxes is a test to find new soldering
> employee's.

Hey, I never thought of that, you know, you could be on to something
there...I guess their mortality rate must be getting higher? I think PNY
missed a golden opportunity! They could have just popped a little sticker on
the box that says "BONUS OFFER! Spare capacitor inside!" ("to install by
approve professional only at authorize service center, see inside box for
details"---in really tiny print)...

> >That's exactly why I open the box before I leave...
>
> Why don't you just shake it really hard and listen for anything loose?

Yeah, I usually go around doing this to all the cards on the shelves, just
to make sure something's moving around in there. >};^>

Poking it in the middle and whacking it a few times against the shelf edge
works pretty well too. Sometimes it takes a little while batting it around
before you hear a different rattle in the box...

I know! I'll ask for a pair of X-Ray Specs as a stocking stuffer! That'll
fix 'em, try to pull one over on me, eh?