How to change to 4x AGP ?

Si

I recently changed from a 9800pro to a 6600GT as I heard they were
slightly faster and I got a good price for my old radeon. When I first
got my 9800 it crashed all the time and I found the only way to run it
was to change it down from 8x to 4x AGP. Well it seems the 6600GT has
the same problems so I want to try to change down to 4x to see if it
stabilises things. I cant find out how to do this on an nvidia card, On
my ABit mobo with Award BIOS the AGP 3.0 setting which shows 8x is
greyed out and wont let me change it. Is there a utility for nvidia
cards which lets you set the card down to 4 x ?

Thanks in advance for any help

Si

"Si" <mymatesi@UNDERPANTSgmail.com> wrote in message
> I recently changed from a 9800pro to a 6600GT as I heard they were
> slightly faster and I got a good price for my old radeon. When I first
> got my 9800 it crashed all the time and I found the only way to run it
> was to change it down from 8x to 4x AGP. Well it seems the 6600GT has
> the same problems so I want to try to change down to 4x to see if it
> stabilises things. I cant find out how to do this on an nvidia card, On
> my ABit mobo with Award BIOS the AGP 3.0 setting which shows 8x is
> greyed out and wont let me change it. Is there a utility for nvidia
> cards which lets you set the card down to 4 x ?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help
>
> Si

I'd read up on the changes done to the BIOS before updating it.
Also, make sure you've updated all mobo chipset drivers.

Si <mymatesi@UNDERPANTSgmail.com> wrote in

> I recently changed from a 9800pro to a 6600GT as I heard they were
> slightly faster and I got a good price for my old radeon. When I first
> got my 9800 it crashed all the time and I found the only way to run it
> was to change it down from 8x to 4x AGP. Well it seems the 6600GT has
> the same problems so I want to try to change down to 4x to see if it
> stabilises things. I cant find out how to do this on an nvidia card, On
> my ABit mobo with Award BIOS the AGP 3.0 setting which shows 8x is
> greyed out and wont let me change it. Is there a utility for nvidia
> cards which lets you set the card down to 4 x ?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help
>
> Si

Try NVTweak from:

http://rootshell.be/~h4ck3d/NVTweak.zip

Si

John Smithe wrote:
> Si <mymatesi@UNDERPANTSgmail.com> wrote in
>

>>I recently changed from a 9800pro to a 6600GT as I heard they were
>>slightly faster and I got a good price for my old radeon. When I first
>>got my 9800 it crashed all the time and I found the only way to run it
>>was to change it down from 8x to 4x AGP. Well it seems the 6600GT has
>>the same problems so I want to try to change down to 4x to see if it
>>stabilises things. I cant find out how to do this on an nvidia card, On
>>my ABit mobo with Award BIOS the AGP 3.0 setting which shows 8x is
>>greyed out and wont let me change it. Is there a utility for nvidia
>>cards which lets you set the card down to 4 x ?
>>
>>Thanks in advance for any help
>>
>>Si
>

> Try NVTweak from:
>
> http://rootshell.be/~h4ck3d/NVTweak.zip

Thanks, I already have this, this is what I was using when I said I was
changing the setting from the nvidia control panel and when I was trying
to apply it, it was flicking back to 8x.

Si

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Si wrote:
> John Smithe wrote:
>
>> Si <mymatesi@UNDERPANTSgmail.com> wrote in
>>

>>> I recently changed from a 9800pro to a 6600GT as I heard they were
>>> slightly faster and I got a good price for my old radeon. When I
>>> first got my 9800 it crashed all the time and I found the only way to
>>> run it was to change it down from 8x to 4x AGP. Well it seems the
>>> 6600GT has the same problems so I want to try to change down to 4x to
>>> see if it stabilises things. I cant find out how to do this on an
>>> nvidia card, On my ABit mobo with Award BIOS the AGP 3.0 setting
>>> which shows 8x is greyed out and wont let me change it. Is there a
>>> utility for nvidia cards which lets you set the card down to 4 x ?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for any help
>>
>> Try NVTweak from:
>>
>> http://rootshell.be/~h4ck3d/NVTweak.zip
>
> Thanks, I already have this, this is what I was using when I said I was
> changing the setting from the nvidia control panel and when I was trying
> to apply it, it was flicking back to 8x.

My BIOS doesn't have this ghosted, I haven't tried changing it yet,
(EPoX 8RDA+), since it works - but it could be that the card is 8x
_only_ AGP.

Gainward only mentions that an AGP slot is required, manufacturers never
seem to want to give in-depth specs.

Also, if you can, try disabling AGP Fast Writes.

Dave

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Dave wrote:
> Si wrote:
>
>> John Smithe wrote:
>>
>>> Si <mymatesi@UNDERPANTSgmail.com> wrote in

>>> Try NVTweak from:
>>>
>>> http://rootshell.be/~h4ck3d/NVTweak.zip
>>
>> Thanks, I already have this, this is what I was using when I said I
>> was changing the setting from the nvidia control panel and when I was
>> trying to apply it, it was flicking back to 8x.
>
> My BIOS doesn't have this ghosted, I haven't tried changing it yet,
> (EPoX 8RDA+), since it works - but it could be that the card is 8x
> _only_ AGP.

OK, just tried this, using NVTweak, and it is indeed reverting to 8x
after trying to change to 4x.

It looks to be a purely 8x card.

I would start looking at why you have needed to do this at all in the
first place with two completely different cards - there is seems to be
some sort of hardware problem, compatibility or otherwise with your system.

Dave

Spajky

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:42:25 +0000 (UTC), Si
<mymatesi@UNDERPANTSgmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a utility for nvidia
>cards which lets you set the card down to 4 x ?

try to make this reg.entry with a Notepad , save it as AGP4X.reg &
doubleclicking import it (copy& paste between lines)

---------------------

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\NVIDIA Corporation]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\NVIDIA Corporation\System]
"EnableIronGate4X"=dword:00000001

----------------------
--
Regards & Happy Holidays Everyone, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

"Si" <mymatesi@UNDERPANTSgmail.com> wrote in message
>I recently changed from a 9800pro to a 6600GT as I heard they were slightly
>faster and I got a good price for my old radeon. When I first got my 9800
>it crashed all the time and I found the only way to run it was to change it
>down from 8x to 4x AGP. Well it seems the 6600GT has the same problems so I
>want to try to change down to 4x to see if it stabilises things. I cant
>find out how to do this on an nvidia card, On my ABit mobo with Award BIOS
>the AGP 3.0 setting which shows 8x is greyed out and wont let me change it.
>Is there a utility for nvidia cards which lets you set the card down to 4 x
>?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help
>
> Si

Try setting your Aperture memory size higher to see if it make any
differences.
Setting your AGP to 4X sound like a hardware issue some where, since you
indicate the second card acting the same way / problem.

CapFusion,...