Capture VGA Output

I am using a software package for animation and graphics with an nVdia
dual output card. The software requires the use of two monitors, both
are using the standard VGA connector. The primary monitor is
dedicated to the software interface (and O/S) and the secondary is
dedicated to the animation or project. My objective is to capture the
live animations on the secondary monitor (believe it or not, my
software does not allow for that) My questions are as follows:

1 .If both VGA outputs are being used, am I still able to use the
S-VIDEO out?

2. Is there anyway by means of another software package
(Moviemaker/Premiere) to ‘intercept' the signals going to the
secondary monitor and capture them?

3. If I install another video capture card and "splice" the output
from the Secondary nVdia port (a Y connection) with one going to the
monitor and the other going to the video capture card input, would
that be a plausible solution?

4. Any other suggestions to achieve my objective?

Thanks in advance!!

Cheers!!

> 1 .If both VGA outputs are being used, am I still able to use the
> S-VIDEO out?
Depending on the card you have, you might be able to use TVTool
(http://tvtool.info/index_e.htm) to activate the svideo output while both
monitors are running.

> 3. If I install another video capture card and "splice" the output
> from the Secondary nVdia port (a Y connection) with one going to the
> monitor and the other going to the video capture card input, would
> that be a plausible solution?
From my experiences, VGA signals from a Y adapter weren't pretty.

> 4. Any other suggestions to achieve my objective?
What's wrong with using one monitor and the svideo output? Your software
ought not know the difference. You can always switch back to using two
monitors after you are done recording.

"funEmahn" <steve.szuster@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>I am using a software package for animation and graphics with an nVdia
> dual output card. The software requires the use of two monitors, both
> are using the standard VGA connector. The primary monitor is
> dedicated to the software interface (and O/S) and the secondary is
> dedicated to the animation or project. My objective is to capture the
> live animations on the secondary monitor (believe it or not, my
> software does not allow for that) My questions are as follows:
>
> 1 .If both VGA outputs are being used, am I still able to use the
> S-VIDEO out?

No. The cards is only capable of driving 2 displays at once (dual RAMDACs),
you can't get all 3 outputs working.

> 4. Any other suggestions to achieve my objective?

How about something that sits between the card and the 2nd monitor that can
split the signal out to both a VGA port to pass onto the monitor and convert
it to another output, such as SVideo? Something like this:

http://www.vtx.co.uk/video/digiboxpc2tv.htm

It can take a VGA signal and split it to both a VGA out and
SVideo/RGB/Composite out simultaneously. Then you run a cable from the VGA
out to the 2nd monitor, and from the SVideo/RGB/Composite to your PVR/VCR to
record the same signal.

Dan