System upgrade = slower?

Bishop

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2004

Hi, i recently got a free upgrade of a amd 3200 64 90nm cpu from my normal
3000xp, and just as a tester i ran a 3dmark05 demo, i got 4400 before and
now i'm getting 4150~.
I've had to change the mobo, is some bios settings?

It's just kinda weird, this was a gradual upgrade, as i did have a 9700pro,
then went to a 6800gt, went from 2250~ to 4450~ with the 3000xp cpu. Then
when a bring in the faster cpu(and it's 64bit) it's about 250 or so points
down.
I know this program isnt the end all of everything, but i was just expecting
an increase.

I've got a 6800gt
3200 64 amd1gig of RAM

Any help appreciated, as i'm a bit confused here.

"Bishop" <p.harnett@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi, i recently got a free upgrade of a amd 3200 64 90nm cpu from my normal
> 3000xp, and just as a tester i ran a 3dmark05 demo, i got 4400 before and
> now i'm getting 4150~.
> I've had to change the mobo, is some bios settings?
>
> It's just kinda weird, this was a gradual upgrade, as i did have a
> 9700pro,
> then went to a 6800gt, went from 2250~ to 4450~ with the 3000xp cpu. Then
> when a bring in the faster cpu(and it's 64bit) it's about 250 or so points
> down.
> I know this program isnt the end all of everything, but i was just
> expecting
> an increase.
>
> I've got a 6800gt
> 3200 64 amd1gig of RAM
>
> Any help appreciated, as i'm a bit confused here.

Are you using the same driver for the 6800gt that you used
in your old board?

Jim M

Bishop wrote:

> Hi, i recently got a free upgrade of a amd 3200 64 90nm cpu from my normal
> 3000xp, and just as a tester i ran a 3dmark05 demo, i got 4400 before and
> now i'm getting 4150~.
> I've had to change the mobo, is some bios settings?
>
> It's just kinda weird, this was a gradual upgrade, as i did have a
> 9700pro, then went to a 6800gt, went from 2250~ to 4450~ with the 3000xp
> cpu. Then when a bring in the faster cpu(and it's 64bit) it's about 250 or
> so points down.
> I know this program isnt the end all of everything, but i was just
> expecting an increase.
>
> I've got a 6800gt
> 3200 64 amd1gig of RAM
>
> Any help appreciated, as i'm a bit confused here.

Did you reinstall the OS clean? If not the problem might be some residual
drivers looking for bits that aren't there or interfering with the
operation of the drivers for the new chipset.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

That's it right there. He changed to a Athlon64 board and cpu and needs to
reinstall the OS. The memory controllers are quite different with A64.

DaveL

> Bishop wrote:
>
> > Hi, i recently got a free upgrade of a amd 3200 64 90nm cpu from my
normal
> > 3000xp, and just as a tester i ran a 3dmark05 demo, i got 4400 before
and
> > now i'm getting 4150~.
> > I've had to change the mobo, is some bios settings?
> >
> > It's just kinda weird, this was a gradual upgrade, as i did have a
> > 9700pro, then went to a 6800gt, went from 2250~ to 4450~ with the 3000xp
> > cpu. Then when a bring in the faster cpu(and it's 64bit) it's about 250
or
> > so points down.
> > I know this program isnt the end all of everything, but i was just
> > expecting an increase.
> >
> > I've got a 6800gt
> > 3200 64 amd1gig of RAM
> >
> > Any help appreciated, as i'm a bit confused here.
>
> Did you reinstall the OS clean? If not the problem might be some residual
> drivers looking for bits that aren't there or interfering with the
> operation of the drivers for the new chipset.
>
> --
> --John
> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Bishop" <p.harnett@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi, i recently got a free upgrade of a amd 3200 64 90nm cpu from my normal
> 3000xp, and just as a tester i ran a 3dmark05 demo, i got 4400 before and
> now i'm getting 4150~.
> I've had to change the mobo, is some bios settings?
>
> It's just kinda weird, this was a gradual upgrade, as i did have a
> 9700pro,
> then went to a 6800gt, went from 2250~ to 4450~ with the 3000xp cpu. Then
> when a bring in the faster cpu(and it's 64bit) it's about 250 or so points
> down.
> I know this program isnt the end all of everything, but i was just
> expecting
> an increase.
>
> I've got a 6800gt
> 3200 64 amd1gig of RAM
>
> Any help appreciated, as i'm a bit confused here.

The only "advice" I can offer is that its not working properly. Sorry I
know that doesn't help you much.

But its important for you to know what to expect. The Athlon64 3200+ is a
much faster processor than the XP 3000+. Both are 2000MHz processors, if I
recall correctly, but the Athlon64 is much faster.

So you should certainly get higher benchmark scores with the new setup.
Although I should say, 3dmark05 is a very poor test of processor
performance. Its almost completely graphics-bound. So I would not expect a
significant increase in 3dmark05 scores. I'd expect the 64 to score
*marginally* higher, but not much.

What does 3dmark01 look like? Are your 3dmark01 scores lower too? And what
about Super_PI and things like that? If we can determine that your
processor is running at the right speed, then it might look more like a
graphics card problem.

Chip

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Why do people are so much about 3dmark and such? Play a game and judge that
way. Its more real then benchmarkers anyway

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:36:43 -0600, "Anthony" <nospawforme@hellno.com>
wrote:

>Why do people are so much about 3dmark and such? Play a game and judge that
>way. Its more real then benchmarkers anyway

Well, if it's running slower than before, it obvious it's not
running at it's full potential, regardless if it's a benchmark, or
not.

>Why do people are so much about 3dmark and such? Play a game and judge that
>way. Its more real then benchmarkers anyway

Because it gives you a general idea about performance. A reference point to
know if you have better performance or worse performance with an upgrade.
Playing games won't tell you that unless you use a game like a benchmark. Even
then you would still need to use a group of games to get some idea of a
performance level increase. Every game stresses a computer in a different way.

Anthony wrote:
> Why do people are so much about 3dmark and such? Play a game and judge that
> way. Its more real then benchmarkers anyway

I agree, but the likes of 3D mark are just so easy to use rather than
fiddling with Fraps and they quantify things into a score which allows
for easy comparison of the drivers, components etc.

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
> That's it right there. He changed to a Athlon64 board and cpu and needs
> reinstall the OS. The memory controllers are quite different with A64.

Who said he **hasn't** done this? Did I miss something?

Chip

Chip wrote:

> "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> That's it right there. He changed to a Athlon64 board and cpu and needs
>> reinstall the OS. The memory controllers are quite different with A64.
>
> Who said he **hasn't** done this? Did I miss something?

He didn't say that he had, so it's worth asking about.

While the memory controllers may be different, this is something that should
be transparent to the OS.