6600GT crashing in Doom and HL2

I bought a 6600GT AGP version based on the many favourable reviews but
I am having issues with Doom and HL2. In Doom3, the menus appear, then
I start game and it looks like it's loading then the screen just goes
blank and I have to re-boot. The only time I can get it working s at
800x600 resolution. In HL2, it's very similar - I see the menus, start
game, see it loading and then blank screen. In HL2 it doesn't matter
what resolution I choose the result is the same. I initially wondered
if this was a power supply problem so upgraded my 360W PSU to 400W but
the same result. As an aside, Call of duty works great in full 1280 x
1024. Any ideas ?

Machine config :

Athlon 3200+
512Mb RAM
Nvidia NForce2 motherboard
Windows Xp Home SP2

Some time ago there was similar post here that got resolved as unplugged
molex power connector. Are you sure you have yours plugged?

Mirek

"Cadmeister" <andy_caddy@hotmail.com> píse v diskusním príspevku
>I bought a 6600GT AGP version based on the many favourable reviews but
> I am having issues with Doom and HL2. In Doom3, the menus appear, then
> I start game and it looks like it's loading then the screen just goes
> blank and I have to re-boot. The only time I can get it working s at
> 800x600 resolution. In HL2, it's very similar - I see the menus, start
> game, see it loading and then blank screen. In HL2 it doesn't matter
> what resolution I choose the result is the same. I initially wondered
> if this was a power supply problem so upgraded my 360W PSU to 400W but
> the same result. As an aside, Call of duty works great in full 1280 x
> 1024. Any ideas ?
>
> Machine config :
>
> Athlon 3200+
> 512Mb RAM
> Nvidia NForce2 motherboard
> Windows Xp Home SP2

Does a 6600GT have an external power connector? I thought they got
powered via the AGP/PCI-express connector?

Mirek Fídler wrote:
> Some time ago there was similar post here that got resolved as unplugged
> molex power connector. Are you sure you have yours plugged?
>
> Mirek
>
> "Cadmeister" <andy_caddy@hotmail.com> píse v diskusním príspevku
>
>>I bought a 6600GT AGP version based on the many favourable reviews but
>>I am having issues with Doom and HL2. In Doom3, the menus appear, then
>>I start game and it looks like it's loading then the screen just goes
>>blank and I have to re-boot. The only time I can get it working s at
>>800x600 resolution. In HL2, it's very similar - I see the menus, start
>>game, see it loading and then blank screen. In HL2 it doesn't matter
>>what resolution I choose the result is the same. I initially wondered
>>if this was a power supply problem so upgraded my 360W PSU to 400W but
>>the same result. As an aside, Call of duty works great in full 1280 x
>>1024. Any ideas ?
>>
>>Machine config :
>>
>>Athlon 3200+
>>512Mb RAM
>>Nvidia NForce2 motherboard
>>Windows Xp Home SP2

> Does a 6600GT have an external power connector? I thought they got powered
> via the AGP/PCI-express connector?

Yes, that is the catch. While PCI-E version is fully powered by PCI-E bus,
AGP has molex.

AFAIK, PCI-E provides 75W, while AGP only 25W.

Mirek