Help with Nvidia Geforce FX5700 Ultra

Hello all
Problems with above video cart.
My system:
MSI 6330 version 5 mother board, bios version 3.4
PSU 300 real watts
CD writer
DVD rom
10 Gb HDD
256 mb memmory SDRAM 133
Monitor max is 1024 x 768 75 Hz.
AGP aperture size is 64mb, freezing on 128mb.
Running W98se

Started in save mode and removed old drivers from Nvidia Vanta 16mb card.
Put in new Nvidia Geforce FX5700 ultra 128mb card and switch on computer.
Together with extra power plug.
Gainward detonator drivers 44.03 44.67 45.23 can not find FX5700 card.
Drivers tried are detonator 52.16 53.03 53.04 after removing old drivers
before installing next.
All doing the same.

On start-up screen with CMOS set-up data there are 6 funny parts on the
screen.
After a lot of restarting it looks like 6 faulty parts on the display.
Display settings 800 x 600 32bit high colour.
Changed 1 by 1 all the different settings.
When I open one of the directories and move them up and down the screen
becomes completely unreadable.

Put back old Vanta card with 53.04 drivers left in, all problems gone.

Is there anyone who can give an opinion, am I doing something wrong.
Or is the new FX5700 faulty ?
Thank you for reading
Bert.

It could be a faulty card since you seem to explain it messes
up even before the OS loads, but what of your PSU? I had a cheap PSU I
was using on a GF3 Ti200 card just fine, but when I moved to a GF4
Ti4400, it wouldn't get to the OS. It would display nothing but
garbage at bootup.
I got a cheap 520W PSU, and now it works fine. If your using a
cheap 300W, it may not be pushing enough power. The FX line of cards,
other than the 5200s, use alot of power.

Thank you very much for giving your opinion, Dino and Larry Roberts
Did disconnect my two CD drives, data cable and power cables.
Put back the FX5700.
Started computer and holding down the Delete key, to come in the CMOS
set-up.
Still a faulty display.
So my luck is out, FX card is faulty.
Problem, I am in South Africa, my daughter is living in Qatar and she bought
the card in Singapore, she can not remember if she has still the receipt.
Only half way around the world.
Greetings to all
Bert.

Jo

I don't know if this will work but can you try it without the powercable,
because i have a fx 5900 and sometimes i get the announcements that the
powersupply is too low and it will switch back to a lower mode?

Maybe in this way you can come in to the bios.

Maybe your card is not seated good in to the agp slot;look close to see if
it is really fits in nice and not for 3/4.

Good luck!!
"Bert" <lijbertv_at_xsinet_dot_co_dot_za> schreef in bericht
> Thank you very much for giving your opinion, Dino and Larry Roberts
> Did disconnect my two CD drives, data cable and power cables.
> Put back the FX5700.
> Started computer and holding down the Delete key, to come in the CMOS
> set-up.
> Still a faulty display.
> So my luck is out, FX card is faulty.
> Problem, I am in South Africa, my daughter is living in Qatar and she
> bought
> the card in Singapore, she can not remember if she has still the receipt.
> Only half way around the world.
> Greetings to all
> Bert.

Hello Jo
Sorry my message did not go out.
Did put the FX5700 back again and by switch on hold down the delete key to
go straight in the bios set-up.
Try with and without power cable, all the same.
Lots of small striped lines in the display.
So the card has to go back to Singapore.
Heel hartelijk bedankt voor het terug komen Jo.
Thanks to all who did try to help.
Bert.

"Bert" <lijbertv_at_xsinet_dot_co_dot_za> wrote in message
> Hello Jo
> Sorry my message did not go out.
> Did put the FX5700 back again and by switch on hold down the delete key to
> go straight in the bios set-up.
> Try with and without power cable, all the same.
> Lots of small striped lines in the display.
> So the card has to go back to Singapore.
> Heel hartelijk bedankt voor het terug komen Jo.
> Thanks to all who did try to help.
> Bert.

Your card seem to be faulty.
Your symptom constantly pointing to faulty card.

If your daughter lost or missing the receipt, you still can try to return to
the manufacturer for servcing.
There should be a name on the card of whom make it.

CapFusion,...