Installing Graphics Cards for Beginners

I know this is a boring question asked all the time, but for some
reason I can't seem to find a good answer.

I currently have mobo integrated nVidia graphics. I've bought myself an
early Christmas present - an XFX 6800GT (AGP).

Can someone give me an idea of the best installation process?

I understand it's best to completely remove any previous drivers, so
would the process be:

1. Remove current drivers (utility recommendation?)

2. Reboot.

3. At this stage how can I see anything? Are there basic VGA drivers in
BIOS or something?

4. Turn off and install card.

5. Turn on and install drivers (which ones? I'll have a look at some 3D
guru type sites).

6. Reboot.

7. Hopefully working.

How does the machine know not to use the onboard graphics, and use the
AGP card?

I currently have 64Mb of system RAM allocated to the integrated
graphics. Will this be freed up automatically or will I have to go and
do this in BIOS?

Thanks for any help.

System:

AthlonXP 2800+
MSI K7N2GM-L Mobo with nVidia nForce2 IGP
1Gb generic RAM
Tagan 480W PSU
Win XP Home
8 answers Last reply
More about installing graphics cards beginners

    cowboyz wrote:

    [...]
    > Depends on your motherboard. Some boards will detect there is a
    > card in the AGP slot and boot off it and disable the onboard video. Some
    > boards you will need to go into the bios and turn the onboard
    > video off. Usually looks something like "init first - PCI/AGP" and
    > "Assign IRQ to VGA - ON/OFF (set this to off) and "assign memory to
    > VGA 0/8/32/64 (set this to zero)

    No IRQ for VGA!?! This runs counter to what I've been told elsewhere. Care
    to elaborate?

    dvus

    You need to go into the bios of the MoBo and disconnect the onboard GPU.

    Make sure you have the 6800 installed before you reboot and change the
    settings.

    It might be wise to un-install any graphics drivers before you install the
    new card.

    Warty

    "Warty" <yeahbut@nobut.com> wrote in message
    > You need to go into the bios of the MoBo and disconnect the onboard GPU.

    I can see you have no experience with Nforce IGP motherboards.

    DaveL

    "Leodiensian" <chrispoad@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > 1. Remove current drivers (utility recommendation?)

    Use control panel add/remove as suggested earlier. Some people also
    recommend 'DriverCleaner' after you have removed the driver to get those
    'hard to reach places'. Driver cleaner cleans out the registry and
    leftover files more fully.

    Get it here:
    http://rootshell.be/~h4ck3d/

    Shutdown and install the video card. Don't forget to connect the extra power
    connector if there is one. (There should be for an 6800GT based AGP card.)

    Your BIOS is supposed to detect the AGP card, but I recommend manually
    setting the BIOS to use the AGP card. My buggy BIOS did not auto detect the
    AGP card as it should have and this lead to much unnecessary confusion.
    Change this setting before booting with the new card.

    > 2. Reboot.

    Your PC will boot using the windows default driver. Don't let Windows do
    the auto install stuff. Cancel the 'new hardware found' wizard. Run the
    driver install ???.exe file that came with your card or that you
    downloaded from NVidia.

    > I currently have 64Mb of system RAM allocated to the integrated
    > graphics. Will this be freed up automatically or will I have to go and
    > do this in BIOS?

    I'm Not sure about this. My BIOS did not let me set this.

    From the NVidia web site:
    (http://www.nvidia.com/object/driver_installation_hints.html)

    * "Download Accelerator" utilities should be disabled when downloading
    any drivers.
    * Do not run virus protection software in the background
    while installing the drivers. This prevents the driver from
    configuring itself properly.
    * Before installing new drivers make sure
    you uninstall all NVIDIA display drivers from the Windows Control
    Panel. Browse to the Start Menu > Windows Control Panel > Add/Remove
    Programs and search for "NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA
    Display Drivers" and select remove.

    I used a zip utility (7-zip) to extract the REAMDME.TXT file from the NVidia
    66.94. This file had install instructions in it. You should be able to do the
    same with your driver install .exe file.

    Usefull sites:

    www..nvidia.com
    http://rootshell.be/~h4ck3d/
    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php?s=a9358a88781db560d268d412bedbf0c3&

    Good Luck

    dvus wrote:
    > cowboyz wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >> Depends on your motherboard. Some boards will detect there is a
    >> card in the AGP slot and boot off it and disable the onboard video.
    >> Some boards you will need to go into the bios and turn the onboard
    >> video off. Usually looks something like "init first - PCI/AGP" and
    >> "Assign IRQ to VGA - ON/OFF (set this to off) and "assign memory to
    >> VGA 0/8/32/64 (set this to zero)
    >
    > No IRQ for VGA!?! This runs counter to what I've been told elsewhere.
    > Care to elaborate?
    >
    > dvus

    sure, which bit?

    The assign IRQ for VGA simply reserves an IRQ setting for the onboard video.
    With it set to off the onboard video doesn't get set. I've only played
    with 1 board with onboard video (which was some POS SIS chipset) a long time
    ago and it was using this IRQ settings I was using to get dual monitors
    enabled. IRQ on = onboard on and PCI on. IRQ=off = onboard off (and
    memory recovered) and PCI on.

    Boards are smart nowadays and in the first post I missed that it was a
    NForce board which will set itself up automatically anyway so the point is
    pretty much moot.

    cowboyz wrote:
    > dvus wrote:
    >> cowboyz wrote:
    >>
    >> [...]
    >>> Depends on your motherboard. Some boards will detect there is a
    >>> card in the AGP slot and boot off it and disable the onboard video.
    >>> Some boards you will need to go into the bios and turn the onboard
    >>> video off. Usually looks something like "init first - PCI/AGP" and
    >>> "Assign IRQ to VGA - ON/OFF (set this to off) and "assign memory to
    >>> VGA 0/8/32/64 (set this to zero)
    >>
    >> No IRQ for VGA!?! This runs counter to what I've been told elsewhere.
    >> Care to elaborate?
    >
    > sure, which bit?
    >
    > The assign IRQ for VGA simply reserves an IRQ setting for the onboard
    > video. With it set to off the onboard video doesn't get set. I've
    > only played with 1 board with onboard video (which was some POS SIS
    > chipset) a long time ago and it was using this IRQ settings I was
    > using to get dual monitors enabled. IRQ on = onboard on and PCI on.
    > IRQ=off = onboard off (and memory recovered) and PCI on.
    >
    > Boards are smart nowadays and in the first post I missed that it was a
    > NForce board which will set itself up automatically anyway so the
    > point is pretty much moot.

    Ah! My impression had been that turning that setting "on" insured a
    dedicated IRQ for the video card/circuitry info exchange with the CPU
    whether it was on-board or not. They don't give very detailed explanations
    for such things in the little manuals that come with motherboards.

    dvus

    >> The assign IRQ for VGA simply reserves an IRQ setting for the onboard
    >> video. With it set to off the onboard video doesn't get set. I've
    >> only played with 1 board with onboard video (which was some POS SIS
    >> chipset) a long time ago and it was using this IRQ settings I was
    >> using to get dual monitors enabled. IRQ on = onboard on and PCI on.
    >> IRQ=off = onboard off (and memory recovered) and PCI on.
    >>
    >> Boards are smart nowadays and in the first post I missed that it was a
    >> NForce board which will set itself up automatically anyway so the
    >> point is pretty much moot.
    >
    > Ah! My impression had been that turning that setting "on" insured a
    > dedicated IRQ for the video card/circuitry info exchange with the CPU
    > whether it was on-board or not.

    Well your not wrong. But a "proper" video card will get assigned a IRQ
    anyway, if its reserved or not. And now with flashy things like IRQ sharing
    it makes life a whole lot easier.
    Anyone remember the days of IRQ conflicts? My god, what a nightmare. Not
    even going there.

    >They don't give very detailed explanations for such things in the little
    >manuals that come with motherboards.

    Your right there. The last 2 motherboards I have brought didn't even come
    with paper manuals. Only *.pdf on tthe driver disc. Alot of good that
    would have done me if I did have trouble! (which I didn't as it happened but
    thats not the point)

    cowboyz wrote:

    >>> The assign IRQ for VGA simply reserves an IRQ setting for the
    >>> onboard video. With it set to off the onboard video doesn't get
    >>> set. I've only played with 1 board with onboard video (which was
    >>> some POS SIS chipset) a long time ago and it was using this IRQ
    >>> settings I was using to get dual monitors enabled. IRQ on =
    >>> onboard on and PCI on. IRQ=off = onboard off (and memory recovered)
    >>> and PCI on. Boards are smart nowadays and in the first post I missed
    >>> that it
    >>> was a NForce board which will set itself up automatically anyway so
    >>> the point is pretty much moot.
    >>
    >> Ah! My impression had been that turning that setting "on" insured a
    >> dedicated IRQ for the video card/circuitry info exchange with the CPU
    >> whether it was on-board or not.
    >

    > Well your not wrong. But a "proper" video card will get assigned a
    > IRQ anyway, if its reserved or not. And now with flashy things like
    > IRQ sharing it makes life a whole lot easier.
    > Anyone remember the days of IRQ conflicts? My god, what a nightmare.
    > Not even going there.
    >
    >> They don't give very detailed explanations for such things in the
    >> little manuals that come with motherboards.
    >
    > Your right there. The last 2 motherboards I have brought didn't even
    > come with paper manuals. Only *.pdf on tthe driver disc. Alot of
    > good that would have done me if I did have trouble! (which I didn't
    > as it happened but thats not the point)

    Heh, reminds me of some PLCs we bought years ago that had "Do not open
    package until you have read the instructions thoroughly". Problem was, the
    instruction booklet was inside the damn package.

    dvus

Nvidia Drivers Graphics Cards Graphics