What does it mean when AGP card says PCIe supported?

does it mean you can stick it in a PCIe slot? will it then pick up power
from the board? any other feature enabled, like 2-way transfer? In
other words, does it mean anything or jack squat? :)
7 answers Last reply
More about what card pcie supported

    darius wrote:

    > does it mean you can stick it in a PCIe slot? will it then pick up power
    > from the board? any other feature enabled, like 2-way transfer? In
    > other words, does it mean anything or jack squat? :)

    It would help if you could provide a link to the product.

    You can't stick it in a PCI Express slot unless it has a PCI Express
    connector (well, you can with a big enough hammer but neither the board nor
    the slot will be good for much afterwards).

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    maybe it just means u can find the card in PCIe express model as well?

    "darius" <noone@here.invalid> wrote in message
    > does it mean you can stick it in a PCIe slot? will it then pick up power
    > from the board? any other feature enabled, like 2-way transfer? In
    > other words, does it mean anything or jack squat? :)

    >does it mean you can stick it in a PCIe slot? will it then pick up power
    >from the board? any other feature enabled, like 2-way transfer? In
    >other words, does it mean anything or jack squat? :)

    It means SQUAT. The AGP slot is totaly different than a PCI-E slot. They
    will not interchange,Look at the difference between the 2 cards

    PCI E
    http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=14-125-156-01.jpg/14-125-156
    -03.jpg/14-125-156-04.jpg/14-125-156-06.jpg&CurImage=14-125-156-03.jpg

    AGP
    http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=14-125-161-01.jpg/14-125-161
    -02.jpg/14-125-161-04.jpg/14-125-161-05.jpg/14-125-161-06.jpg/14-125-161-0
    7.jpg&CurImage=14-125-161-04.jpg

    darius wrote:
    > does it mean you can stick it in a PCIe slot? will it then pick up power
    > from the board? any other feature enabled, like 2-way transfer? In
    > other words, does it mean anything or jack squat? :)

    Most likely it means it's a mistake :-)

    --
    Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

    > It means SQUAT. The AGP slot is totaly different than a PCI-E slot. They
    > will not interchange,Look at the difference between the 2 cards

    And be wary! I'm in the middle of getting Dabs to accept a card back which
    was described as "PCI-Express or AGP 8X" when the card delivered is only
    PCI-Express, i.e. there is no concept of a card being PCI-E *and* AGP
    compatable at the same time - the connectors are completely different. The
    description on their web site and on the packaging is just plain wrong but
    that doesn't spot them messing customers around.

    Just to confuse matters, this is different to PCI-64 cards which generally
    can plug into plain PCI slots.

    PCI-Express (PCI-E) is relatively new and appears (for some reason) to be
    cheaper than AGP esp. for the 6600. Therefore, there's going to be a lot of
    people as confused as us.

    Cheers, Rob.

    > maybe it just means u can find the card in PCIe express model as well?

    That's indeed what is does mean but it's against the trade descriptions act
    in the UK to state on the packaging or when selling a device that the
    interfaces supported are "PCI-Express and AGP 8X". That would be like saying
    a particular hard disk is SCSI and IDE. I'm sure there are drives mechanisms
    that are use in both IDE and SCSI interfaces. But you would not expect to
    see it advertised as such.

    Regards, Rob.

    "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in

    >> does it mean you can stick it in a PCIe slot? will it then pick up
    >> power from the board? any other feature enabled, like 2-way
    >> transfer? In other words, does it mean anything or jack squat? :)
    >
    > It would help if you could provide a link to the product.

    Rats I can't find the link now but I swear I saw an AGP card that lists
    in the features "PCI Express support"

Nvidia Power Graphics