What does it mean when AGP card says PCIe supported?

darius

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

does it mean you can stick it in a PCIe slot? will it then pick up power
from the board? any other feature enabled, like 2-way transfer? In
other words, does it mean anything or jack squat? :)

darius wrote:

> does it mean you can stick it in a PCIe slot? will it then pick up power
> from the board? any other feature enabled, like 2-way transfer? In
> other words, does it mean anything or jack squat? :)

It would help if you could provide a link to the product.

You can't stick it in a PCI Express slot unless it has a PCI Express
connector (well, you can with a big enough hammer but neither the board nor
the slot will be good for much afterwards).

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

maybe it just means u can find the card in PCIe express model as well?

"darius" <noone@here.invalid> wrote in message
> does it mean you can stick it in a PCIe slot? will it then pick up power
> from the board? any other feature enabled, like 2-way transfer? In
> other words, does it mean anything or jack squat? :)

>does it mean you can stick it in a PCIe slot? will it then pick up power
>from the board? any other feature enabled, like 2-way transfer? In
>other words, does it mean anything or jack squat? :)

It means SQUAT. The AGP slot is totaly different than a PCI-E slot. They
will not interchange,Look at the difference between the 2 cards

PCI E
http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=14-125-156-01.jpg/14-125-156
-03.jpg/14-125-156-04.jpg/14-125-156-06.jpg&CurImage=14-125-156-03.jpg

AGP
http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=14-125-161-01.jpg/14-125-161
-02.jpg/14-125-161-04.jpg/14-125-161-05.jpg/14-125-161-06.jpg/14-125-161-0
7.jpg&CurImage=14-125-161-04.jpg

darius wrote:
> does it mean you can stick it in a PCIe slot? will it then pick up power
> from the board? any other feature enabled, like 2-way transfer? In
> other words, does it mean anything or jack squat? :)

Most likely it means it's a mistake :)

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

> It means SQUAT. The AGP slot is totaly different than a PCI-E slot. They
> will not interchange,Look at the difference between the 2 cards

And be wary! I'm in the middle of getting Dabs to accept a card back which
was described as "PCI-Express or AGP 8X" when the card delivered is only
PCI-Express, i.e. there is no concept of a card being PCI-E *and* AGP
compatable at the same time - the connectors are completely different. The
description on their web site and on the packaging is just plain wrong but
that doesn't spot them messing customers around.

Just to confuse matters, this is different to PCI-64 cards which generally
can plug into plain PCI slots.

PCI-Express (PCI-E) is relatively new and appears (for some reason) to be
cheaper than AGP esp. for the 6600. Therefore, there's going to be a lot of
people as confused as us.

Cheers, Rob.

> maybe it just means u can find the card in PCIe express model as well?

That's indeed what is does mean but it's against the trade descriptions act
in the UK to state on the packaging or when selling a device that the
interfaces supported are "PCI-Express and AGP 8X". That would be like saying
a particular hard disk is SCSI and IDE. I'm sure there are drives mechanisms
that are use in both IDE and SCSI interfaces. But you would not expect to
see it advertised as such.

Regards, Rob.

darius

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in

>> does it mean you can stick it in a PCIe slot? will it then pick up
>> power from the board? any other feature enabled, like 2-way
>> transfer? In other words, does it mean anything or jack squat? :)
>
> It would help if you could provide a link to the product.

Rats I can't find the link now but I swear I saw an AGP card that lists
in the features "PCI Express support"