How to fly a hydra on PC?

Last response: in Video Games
July 31, 2005 10:24:46 PM

What are the controls for flying a hydra on PC? I saw that on the
instructions in Vertical Bird (Num2 and Del for something) but that
doesn't seem to do anything for me.....I can only fly it like a
helicopter ...how can I fly it like a jet?

Thanks!

More about : fly hydra

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 11:39:45 PM

Thx. How to toggle between Jet mode and Hover mode though? I finished
that mission and was playing around with my hydra at the meadow.
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 11:41:50 PM

> Remember while you are on the ship but before you board a plane you can
> destroy 2 of the three planes that are on the ship so that only one comes
> after you.
>
> Push one into the water and blow up the other one with the missle head on
> the forklift. (move the forklift next to the plane and then shoot the
> missile head)
>
> Hope this helps

Oh yeah....I used shotguns on two of them and ended up hurting the
third a bit ...so at the end I finished this mission with thick black
smoke coming out of my right wing throughout the mission :-p
August 1, 2005 5:40:16 AM

Shawn LeBron wrote:
> What are the controls for flying a hydra on PC? I saw that on the
> instructions in Vertical Bird (Num2 and Del for something) but that
> doesn't seem to do anything for me.....I can only fly it like a
> helicopter ...how can I fly it like a jet?
>
> Thanks!

very carefully :p

no, but seriously, its kind of tricky, I just finished that mission just
5 mins ago. The gun fight took no more than 2 mins, 5 mins to find and
kill the boats, and like 10 just to land that thing (I got hit, so it
was kind of crippled)

The turning works just like regular planes, (I messed with my controls,
so they likely won't be the same as yours). What you normally use to
speed up/slow down planes is now used to increase/decrease height
(vertical takeoff landing). To enable movement forward (and back?) I
used the same keys as I used to raise and lower the cranes. On mine,
these are 8 and 2 on the numeric keypad.

First, lift off using your speed up key (W for me). Then turn to your
destination (Q + E for me). finally, enable forward movement (8 for me),

Now picture yourself keeping track of all this while evading three other
fighters and shooting down some boats... almost painful it was
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 1:52:31 PM

Keypad 8 tilts the jets forward, Keypad 2 tilts them back. I did this
mission on the PC this week-end, it took me about half an hour of
flying around wildly. Part of the problem is that my laptop has no
keypad, so I had to use other keys, and the rest of it is that there
are more keys than one hand can comfortably use, and a mouse as well.

Phil Hibbs.
August 1, 2005 2:09:49 PM

"Usenet user" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Shawn LeBron wrote:
>> What are the controls for flying a hydra on PC? I saw that on the
>> instructions in Vertical Bird (Num2 and Del for something) but that
>> doesn't seem to do anything for me.....I can only fly it like a
>> helicopter ...how can I fly it like a jet?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> very carefully :p
>
> no, but seriously, its kind of tricky, I just finished that mission just 5
> mins ago. The gun fight took no more than 2 mins, 5 mins to find and kill
> the boats, and like 10 just to land that thing (I got hit, so it was kind
> of crippled)
>
> The turning works just like regular planes, (I messed with my controls, so
> they likely won't be the same as yours). What you normally use to speed
> up/slow down planes is now used to increase/decrease height (vertical
> takeoff landing). To enable movement forward (and back?) I used the same
> keys as I used to raise and lower the cranes. On mine, these are 8 and 2
> on the numeric keypad.
>
> First, lift off using your speed up key (W for me). Then turn to your
> destination (Q + E for me). finally, enable forward movement (8 for me),
>
> Now picture yourself keeping track of all this while evading three other
> fighters and shooting down some boats... almost painful it was

Hey - I'm on that mission now!

Darn near finished it first time through - had one boat to go - then
pressed the wrong key, crashed into the mountain side.

DOH!

The enemy jets I got rid of by hovering low under the bridge and 2 of them
crashed out. The other one disappeared somewhere. Hopefully be as lucky
next time!
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 4:05:00 PM

">
> First, lift off using your speed up key (W for me). Then turn to your
> destination (Q + E for me). finally, enable forward movement (8 for me),
>
> Now picture yourself keeping track of all this while evading three other
> fighters and shooting down some boats... almost painful it was

Remember while you are on the ship but before you board a plane you can
destroy 2 of the three planes that are on the ship so that only one comes
after you.

Push one into the water and blow up the other one with the missle head on
the forklift. (move the forklift next to the plane and then shoot the
missile head)

Hope this helps
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 4:05:01 PM

In message <42ed8a55$1@duster.adelaide.on.net>
"Paul W" <wf1000xg@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Remember while you are on the ship but before you board a plane you can
> destroy 2 of the three planes that are on the ship so that only one comes
> after you.

It's worth mentioning here; get into one of the Hydra jets but jump out
again. Blowing it up seems to fail the mission, although I've got no
idea why.

Cheers,
Rob
August 1, 2005 5:22:31 PM

"Shawn LeBron" <scl1003@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Remember while you are on the ship but before you board a plane you can
>> destroy 2 of the three planes that are on the ship so that only one comes
>> after you.
>>
>> Push one into the water and blow up the other one with the missle head on
>> the forklift. (move the forklift next to the plane and then shoot the
>> missile head)
>>
>> Hope this helps
>
> Oh yeah....I used shotguns on two of them and ended up hurting the
> third a bit ...so at the end I finished this mission with thick black
> smoke coming out of my right wing throughout the mission :-p

I found that when I stole the one at the side of the carrier, it was close
enough to the one inside the ship to take damage from the explosion, however
if you take the one at the back end, it is far enough away from the other
two to survive intact.

Rob
August 1, 2005 9:11:14 PM

> Thx. How to toggle between Jet mode and Hover mode though? I finished
> that mission and was playing around with my hydra at the meadow.

8 and 2 on the keypad to move the jets.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 1:54:26 PM

In message <NxmHe.648960$Cl1.160235@fe03.news.easynews.com>
"Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote:

> The enemy jets I got rid of by hovering low under the bridge and 2 of them
> crashed out. The other one disappeared somewhere. Hopefully be as lucky
> next time!

If you're any good at flying aircraft in the cinematic camera mode that
looks REALLY impressive :o )

It's also possible to dupe the enemy Hydras into crashing into the boat
targets too, and I've also tried landing on top of one of the nearby
mountains and taking them out with the rocket launcher.

Btw, has anybody tried using the Hydra to make the army's Rhinos? It takes a
while and kind of makes you a target for the soldiers with M4's though.

Cheers,
Rob
August 4, 2005 9:37:15 PM

Rob Lancaster wrote:

> I found that when I stole the one at the side of the carrier, it was close
> enough to the one inside the ship to take damage from the explosion, however
> if you take the one at the back end, it is far enough away from the other
> two to survive intact.

Also don't use first person view on this mission. Normally I find it
makes flying easier, but the limited field of view makes getting a
missile lock much harder. Zoomed out in 3rd person view you can get a
missile lock as long as the target is on screen for the time it take to
quire the lock, it doesn't have to be in the cross-hairs.

--
drbob

OE Users - check this out!
August 5, 2005 4:03:28 PM

I think this is one of those things you 'get' or you don't 'get'.

I tried to fly it and it's actually easier than flying the Apache.

For some reason I just cannot control the Apache.

Other helicopters are fine... I've even managed to do tricks in the Sea
King helicopter ('Leviathan') like landing it on Mad Dogg's helipad and
basketball courts. For such a big helicopter, it is responsive and
benign.

But I find the Apache just twitchy.

T.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 11:23:13 PM

tlai909@visto.com wrote:

> I think this is one of those things you 'get' or you don't 'get'.
>
> I tried to fly it and it's actually easier than flying the Apache.
>
> For some reason I just cannot control the Apache.
>
> Other helicopters are fine... I've even managed to do tricks in the Sea
> King helicopter ('Leviathan') like landing it on Mad Dogg's helipad and
> basketball courts. For such a big helicopter, it is responsive and
> benign.
>
> But I find the Apache just twitchy.
>
> T.

I've always hated the apache, when everyone talks about doing
vigilante in it I just think, yeah, gimme a tank!
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

> But I find the Apache just twitchy.

It's probably quite realistic, then (apart from the hunter being a
single-seat whereas the apache is twin). I've seen video of an apache doing
rolls while flying along the Farnborough airstrip.
!