PS3 is NV50 based

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, alt.games.video.sony-playstation2, alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati, alt.games.video.xbox, comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

Playstation 3 graphics processor is going to be based on a custom
version of Nvidia's next generation graphics architecture, the NV50

http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_title=Nvidia-Stock-Up-on-PlayStation-Graphics-Deal&story_id=28928
http://it.asia1.com.sg/newsdaily/news003_20041209.html
http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispo/business/technology/10360877.htm

NV50 aka GeForce 7 is going to make PS3 a graphics monster.

watch out Xbox2 and GCNext, your ATi powered graphics will be pathetic
next to the awesome power of a custom GeForce 7.

nVIDIA's GeForce 7 (NV5x) for PC video cards and for PS3 consoles will
run circles around ATi's r520 PC cards, r500 in Xbox2, whatever ATi
chip powers GCNext and even next, next gen r600 for PCs.
Radeon350 / Xenon and all other fanATIcs..... DIE! ;)
15 answers Last reply
More about nv50 based
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, alt.games.video.sony-playstation2, alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati, alt.games.video.xbox, comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    Yeah the "custom" part of it will be stripping the VRAM to 8MB
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    nv55 wrote:

    > Playstation 3 graphics processor is going to be based on a custom
    > version of Nvidia's next generation graphics architecture, the NV50

    Welcome to three weeks ago.

    > watch out Xbox2 and GCNext, your ATi powered graphics will be pathetic
    > next to the awesome power of a custom GeForce 7.

    You mean like how the X850 is pathetic next to the GeForce 6800? The
    technolgoies are neck and neck, dipshit.

    You and Xenon are a match made in heaven. Go huff airplane glue behind
    someone's shed now.

    -Z-
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    "nv55" <nvidianv55@mail.com> wrote in message
    > Playstation 3 graphics processor is going to be based on a custom
    > version of Nvidia's next generation graphics architecture, the NV50
    >
    > http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_title=Nvidia-Stock-Up-on-PlayStation-Graphics-Deal&story_id=28928
    > http://it.asia1.com.sg/newsdaily/news003_20041209.html
    > http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispo/business/technology/10360877.htm
    >

    > NV50 aka GeForce 7 is going to make PS3 a graphics monster.
    >
    > watch out Xbox2 and GCNext, your ATi powered graphics will be pathetic
    > next to the awesome power of a custom GeForce 7.
    >
    > nVIDIA's GeForce 7 (NV5x) for PC video cards and for PS3 consoles will
    > run circles around ATi's r520 PC cards, r500 in Xbox2, whatever ATi
    > chip powers GCNext and even next, next gen r600 for PCs.
    > Radeon350 / Xenon and all other fanATIcs..... DIE! ;)
    >
    >have you stopped fighting the doomed gaystation/ >XBOX troll attempts?
    >a rat deserting the sinking ship : )
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:50:20 -0500, "Zackman"
    <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message
    <YqOdnTIaFYnKgV7cRVn-ig@giganews.com>:

    >nv55 wrote:
    >
    >> Playstation 3 graphics processor is going to be based on a custom
    >> version of Nvidia's next generation graphics architecture, the NV50
    >
    >You and Xenon are a match made in heaven. Go huff airplane glue behind
    >someone's shed now.

    "NV55" is the same person as "Xenon" and "Radeon350" despite pretending
    not to be.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    On 17 Dec 2004 01:11:36 -0800, "nv55" <nvidianv55@mail.com> wrote in
    message <1103274696.333808.33290@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>:

    >Radeon350 / Xenon and all other fanATIcs..... DIE! ;)

    You forgot to mention that the list of multiple aliases under which you
    litter this newsgroup includes "Radeon350" and "Xenon."

    Since you ARE both "Radeon350" and "Xenon," perhaps you should follow
    your own advice.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    It's stupid to judge a system that isn't even out yet.

    "XtrAvErT" <notrealname@telstra.com> wrote in message

    > "nv55" <nvidianv55@mail.com> wrote in message
    >> Playstation 3 graphics processor is going to be based on a custom
    >> version of Nvidia's next generation graphics architecture, the NV50
    >>
    >> http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_title=Nvidia-Stock-Up-on-PlayStation-Graphics-Deal&story_id=28928
    >> http://it.asia1.com.sg/newsdaily/news003_20041209.html
    >> http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispo/business/technology/10360877.htm
    >>

    >> NV50 aka GeForce 7 is going to make PS3 a graphics monster.
    >>
    >> watch out Xbox2 and GCNext, your ATi powered graphics will be pathetic
    >> next to the awesome power of a custom GeForce 7.
    >>
    >> nVIDIA's GeForce 7 (NV5x) for PC video cards and for PS3 consoles will
    >> run circles around ATi's r520 PC cards, r500 in Xbox2, whatever ATi
    >> chip powers GCNext and even next, next gen r600 for PCs.
    >> Radeon350 / Xenon and all other fanATIcs..... DIE! ;)
    >>
    >>have you stopped fighting the doomed gaystation/ >XBOX troll attempts?
    >>a rat deserting the sinking ship : )

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    Paul Angstrom wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:50:20 -0500, "Zackman"
    > <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message
    > <YqOdnTIaFYnKgV7cRVn-ig@giganews.com>:
    >
    >> nv55 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Playstation 3 graphics processor is going to be based on a custom
    >>> version of Nvidia's next generation graphics architecture, the NV50
    >>
    >> You and Xenon are a match made in heaven. Go huff airplane glue
    >> behind someone's shed now.
    >
    > "NV55" is the same person as "Xenon" and "Radeon350" despite
    > pretending not to be.

    You sure? I'm no header expert, however I see NV55 and Radeon350 have some
    header similarities, but Xenon looks quite different.

    dvus
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 08:47:38 -0500, "dvus" <dven1invalid@adelphia.net>
    wrote in message <32iqnkF3nv2tsU1@individual.net>:

    >Paul Angstrom wrote:
    >>
    >> "NV55" is the same person as "Xenon" and "Radeon350" despite
    >> pretending not to be.
    >
    >You sure? I'm no header expert, however I see NV55 and Radeon350 have some
    >header similarities, but Xenon looks quite different.

    Yes, I'm 100% sure.

    Take another look. NV55, Radeon350, and Xenon are all the same person
    despite the attempts at switching aliases.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    Paul Angstrom wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 08:47:38 -0500, "dvus" <dven1invalid@adelphia.net>
    > wrote in message <32iqnkF3nv2tsU1@individual.net>:
    >
    >> Paul Angstrom wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "NV55" is the same person as "Xenon" and "Radeon350" despite
    >>> pretending not to be.
    >>
    >> You sure? I'm no header expert, however I see NV55 and Radeon350
    >> have some header similarities, but Xenon looks quite different.
    >
    > Yes, I'm 100% sure.
    >
    > Take another look. NV55, Radeon350, and Xenon are all the same person
    > despite the attempts at switching aliases.

    I'll take your word for it.

    --
    dvus
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    considering that both ATi and nVidia have CURRENT generation parts pushing
    1600x1200 displays with all the eye candy turned on and at playable
    framerates, and neither regular TVs NOR HDTVs approach 1600x1200 resolution,
    I think its safe to say that any next gen console will look absolutely
    incredible...hell, the current generation xbox has some incredible looking
    games with a "measly" GeForce 3...

    "nv55" <nvidianv55@mail.com> wrote in message
    > Playstation 3 graphics processor is going to be based on a custom
    > version of Nvidia's next generation graphics architecture, the NV50
    >
    > http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_title=Nvidia-Stock-Up-on-PlayStation-Graphics-Deal&story_id=28928
    > http://it.asia1.com.sg/newsdaily/news003_20041209.html
    > http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispo/business/technology/10360877.htm
    >

    > NV50 aka GeForce 7 is going to make PS3 a graphics monster.
    >
    > watch out Xbox2 and GCNext, your ATi powered graphics will be pathetic
    > next to the awesome power of a custom GeForce 7.
    >
    > nVIDIA's GeForce 7 (NV5x) for PC video cards and for PS3 consoles will
    > run circles around ATi's r520 PC cards, r500 in Xbox2, whatever ATi
    > chip powers GCNext and even next, next gen r600 for PCs.
    > Radeon350 / Xenon and all other fanATIcs..... DIE! ;)

  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    Khee Mao wrote:

    > considering that both ATi and nVidia have CURRENT generation parts pushing
    > 1600x1200 displays with all the eye candy turned on and at playable
    > framerates, and neither regular TVs NOR HDTVs approach 1600x1200
    > resolution,

    ?!?!?!?!?! 1600x1200 is 1,920,000 pixels. 1920x1080 is 2,073,600.

    > I think its safe to say that any next gen console will look
    > absolutely incredible...hell, the current generation xbox has some
    > incredible looking games with a "measly" GeForce 3...
    >

    > "nv55" <nvidianv55@mail.com> wrote in message
    >> Playstation 3 graphics processor is going to be based on a custom
    >> version of Nvidia's next generation graphics architecture, the NV50

    http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_title=Nvidia-Stock-Up-on-PlayStation-Graphics-Deal&story_id=28928
    >> http://it.asia1.com.sg/newsdaily/news003_20041209.html

    http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispo/business/technology/10360877.htm

    >> NV50 aka GeForce 7 is going to make PS3 a graphics monster.
    >>
    >> watch out Xbox2 and GCNext, your ATi powered graphics will be pathetic
    >> next to the awesome power of a custom GeForce 7.
    >>
    >> nVIDIA's GeForce 7 (NV5x) for PC video cards and for PS3 consoles will
    >> run circles around ATi's r520 PC cards, r500 in Xbox2, whatever ATi
    >> chip powers GCNext and even next, next gen r600 for PCs.
    >> Radeon350 / Xenon and all other fanATIcs..... DIE! ;)

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    > Khee Mao wrote:
    >
    >> considering that both ATi and nVidia have CURRENT generation parts
    >> pushing
    >> 1600x1200 displays with all the eye candy turned on and at playable
    >> framerates, and neither regular TVs NOR HDTVs approach 1600x1200
    >> resolution,
    >
    > ?!?!?!?!?! 1600x1200 is 1,920,000 pixels. 1920x1080 is 2,073,600.

    ok. you got me. kudos to you. on the highest end of the native resolution
    HDTV spectrum are some sets capable of displaying an additional 150,000
    pixels (153,600 for the anal-retentive (note hyphenation)) than quoted. my
    point, that current chipsets are more than capable of pushing display
    technology to its limits, however, is still valid.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    >Khee Mao wrote:
    >
    >> considering that both ATi and nVidia have CURRENT generation parts pushing
    >> 1600x1200 displays with all the eye candy turned on and at playable
    >> framerates, and neither regular TVs NOR HDTVs approach 1600x1200
    >> resolution,
    >
    >?!?!?!?!?! 1600x1200 is 1,920,000 pixels. 1920x1080 is 2,073,600.

    Try to actually get an honest 1920x1080, though. No source even
    provides that, even IF your display could do it, which almost no
    HDTV's can.

    Really, 1280x720 HDTV (921,600 pixels) makes the most sense as the
    next step. All HDTV's will display this resolution, either natively
    or up-res'ed to the display's native resolution. And it should be
    plenty good for games, I would think.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Assuming, of course, the TV can do 1080p. 1080i only requires half the data
    rate.

    > ?!?!?!?!?! 1600x1200 is 1,920,000 pixels. 1920x1080 is 2,073,600.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, alt.games.video.sony-playstation2, alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati, alt.games.video.xbox, comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    Khee Mao wrote:
    > considering that both ATi and nVidia have CURRENT generation parts
    pushing
    > 1600x1200 displays with all the eye candy turned on and at playable
    > framerates, and neither regular TVs NOR HDTVs approach 1600x1200
    resolution,
    > I think its safe to say that any next gen console will look
    absolutely
    > incredible...hell, the current generation xbox has some incredible
    looking
    > games with a "measly" GeForce 3...

    ummm... Xbox GPU is closer to a GeForce 4 than GeForce 3. plus the
    Xbox GPU has some stuff not even in GeForce 4, that didn't come to the
    desktop until GeForceFX

Nvidia PlayStation Graphics