MSI FX5900XT v fx5900ZT

bazza

Distinguished
May 9, 2004

Ordered a MSI FX5900XT 128mb and received a ZT version, the spec. looks
about the same, anybody know the difference between the two. Not an avid
gamer but will it work OK with doom3 / hl2?

"Bazza" <barry.golding@cfs.com> wrote in message
> Ordered a MSI FX5900XT 128mb and received a ZT version, the spec. looks
> about the same, anybody know the difference between the two. Not an avid
> gamer but will it work OK with doom3 / hl2?

The MSI site only lists one FX5900XT card, and no ZT cards. However, a dig
around Google suggests that the ZT might well be an XT chip that isn't up to
spec, or has been designed to run with 128-bit RAM. The ZT appears to run at
325Mhz instead of 390MHz, and has a 128-bit memory bus instead of 256-bit.

I did find a model number for the MSI card, MS-8937-08S, but this doesn't
appear on the MSI sites. The FX5900XT has the model number MS-8937-040. It's
possible that MSI is sending out ZT cards instead of XT cards due to a
change in chip supply, and not informing distributors in the process.

If you really did order and pay for an XT, and were sent a ZT that is of
lower spec, you should be within your rights to return it and get it
replaced with a proper XT card.

Dan

"Bazza" <barry.golding@cfs.com> wrote in message

" Ordered a MSI FX5900XT 128mb and received a ZT version, the spec. looks
about the same, anybody know the difference between the two. Not an avid
gamer but will it work OK with doom3 / hl2? "

Post a message about it on http://www.hermitscave.org/ , which is the forum
for http://www.theinquirer.net/ . They are good at hassling companies who
try and con their customers. If you've been screwed, then shame on MSI.

bazza

Distinguished
May 9, 2004

Spack wrote:
> "Bazza" <barry.golding@cfs.com> wrote in message
>
>>Ordered a MSI FX5900XT 128mb and received a ZT version, the spec. looks
>>about the same, anybody know the difference between the two. Not an avid
>>gamer but will it work OK with doom3 / hl2?
>

> The MSI site only lists one FX5900XT card, and no ZT cards. However, a dig
> around Google suggests that the ZT might well be an XT chip that isn't up to
> spec, or has been designed to run with 128-bit RAM. The ZT appears to run at
> 325Mhz instead of 390MHz, and has a 128-bit memory bus instead of 256-bit.
>
> I did find a model number for the MSI card, MS-8937-08S, but this doesn't
> appear on the MSI sites. The FX5900XT has the model number MS-8937-040. It's
> possible that MSI is sending out ZT cards instead of XT cards due to a
> change in chip supply, and not informing distributors in the process.
>
> If you really did order and pay for an XT, and were sent a ZT that is of
> lower spec, you should be within your rights to return it and get it
> replaced with a proper XT card.
>
> Dan

Thanks for the info Dan, have found the card on the UK MSI site
http://msicomputer.co.uk/Products.aspx?product_id=703522&cat_id=78
The spec shown is identical to the XT spec. can't see any difference,
maybe it will be ok, it's for my son for Xmas so don't think i will be
able to get another in time. Cost £117 from Watford so not exactly a top
notch card.

Bazza

> Spack wrote:
>> "Bazza" <barry.golding@cfs.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Ordered a MSI FX5900XT 128mb and received a ZT version, the spec. looks
>>>about the same, anybody know the difference between the two. Not an avid
>>>gamer but will it work OK with doom3 / hl2?
>>

>> The MSI site only lists one FX5900XT card, and no ZT cards. However, a
>> dig around Google suggests that the ZT might well be an XT chip that
>> isn't up to spec, or has been designed to run with 128-bit RAM. The ZT
>> appears to run at 325Mhz instead of 390MHz, and has a 128-bit memory bus
>> instead of 256-bit.
>>
>> I did find a model number for the MSI card, MS-8937-08S, but this doesn't
>> appear on the MSI sites. The FX5900XT has the model number MS-8937-040.
>> It's possible that MSI is sending out ZT cards instead of XT cards due to
>> a change in chip supply, and not informing distributors in the process.
>>
>> If you really did order and pay for an XT, and were sent a ZT that is of
>> lower spec, you should be within your rights to return it and get it
>> replaced with a proper XT card.
>>
>> Dan
> Thanks for the info Dan, have found the card on the UK MSI site
> http://msicomputer.co.uk/Products.aspx?product_id=703522&cat_id=78
> The spec shown is identical to the XT spec. can't see any difference,
> maybe it will be ok, it's for my son for Xmas so don't think i will be
> able to get another in time. Cost £117 from Watford so not exactly a top
> notch card.

The blurb on there is the same for both cards because it's the generic blurb
from nVidia for the FX5900 chip features. It has nothing specific to the
actual card MSI have produced. The ZT is slower than the XT, but you may not
notice the difference unless you use benchmarking software. For the price it
doesn't look too bad, although eBuyer have the MSI XT card with VIVO in
stock for £132. Not sure what difference the speed is going to make, and
it's possible that you actually have a 256-bit card rather than 128-bit, so
the price difference is probably about right. Have fun gaming :)

Dan

Cuzman:
> If you've been screwed, then shame on MSI.

He didn't say he had ordered from MSI.
--
Mac Cool