World of Warcraft, what video card will get me by?

Hi All,
My son has World of Warcraft on his AMD Athlon XP 2800+, nForce2
chipset, XP Home edition, 512mb of 2700 ram, GeForce4 MX integrated
graphics (1 AGP 8x slot available). Right now he's getting 15-20fps.
I've looked at an XFX 5200 256mb video card, $90 at Samsclub, but
everyone says it's junk. Would it be an improvement over what he has
now? I'm trying to stay under $125 for a card. Is there something out
there within my budget that is much better than the 5200, it must be
DirectX 9.
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Grateful
14 answers Last reply
More about world warcraft video card

    "Grateful" <Grateful11@excite.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    > My son has World of Warcraft on his AMD Athlon XP 2800+, nForce2
    > chipset, XP Home edition, 512mb of 2700 ram, GeForce4 MX integrated
    > graphics (1 AGP 8x slot available). Right now he's getting 15-20fps.
    > I've looked at an XFX 5200 256mb video card, $90 at Samsclub, but
    > everyone says it's junk. Would it be an improvement over what he has
    > now? I'm trying to stay under $125 for a card. Is there something out
    > there within my budget that is much better than the 5200, it must be
    > DirectX 9.
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    > Grateful

    The 5200 will be a bit faster than the 4MX... but not a lot, and not worth
    the $90. The 5200 is still a budget card, so it has budget performance.

    Under $125, there isn't much available.. I searched for cards, and pretty
    much every card under there is the 5200, or an equally slow ATI card. There
    are cards in the $140 range that would be an improvement, but not enough of
    an improvement to justify the cost, in my opinion. Better off spending a
    bit more, and getting a card that will play future games well. You can get
    an ATI 9800Pro 128MB card, which will be a MUCH better card for ~$190 from
    newegg.com (awesome online store, one of the best out there). A little more
    than you wanted to spend, but the performance improvement will be
    incredible, and it'll be a good match for the CPU he has. You can always
    check a local shop for a 9800 Pro as well.

    I haven't seen any benchmarks for the new generation nVidia 6600- or Radeon
    X600-based cards, but the prices of those are dropping rapidly - they're
    currently a little over $220. You might want to see if you can find any
    comparison benchmarks for those, and if they're good, wait until the price
    drops a bit more. Getting a new generation card would help keep your son's
    system alive a few years longer. Only thing, make sure they're AGP cards,
    and not PCI-Express cards - I'm not sure if ATI currently has any X600's
    available in AGP, but I know you can get 6600 cards in AGP now.

    Hope that helped, somewhat.

    Thanks for all the help guys. I kinda figured that's what the word
    would be. I've done a boatload of searching and researching and pretty
    much came to the same conclusion. It's sad that manufacturers lay all
    these claims on these lowend cards.
    Thanks again and have a good one,
    Grateful

    > Thanks for all the help guys. I kinda figured that's what the word
    > would be. I've done a boatload of searching and researching and pretty
    > much came to the same conclusion. It's sad that manufacturers lay all
    > these claims on these lowend cards.
    > Thanks again and have a good one,
    > Grateful

    Glad to be of service.

    Yeah, they do somewhat mislead people. "Well, it's a brand new card, it
    must be faster than the old one." Just like every other purchase you make,
    for a DVD player, stereo, car, household appliances, it pays to do some
    research before you buy. Especially when the cards can cost a few hundred
    dollars.

    Have good holiday. :D

    "Grateful" <Grateful11@excite.com> wrote in message

    " Is there something out there within my budget that is much better than
    the 5200, it must be DirectX 9. "

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-140-031&depa=1

    ....or look at the range of 9600Pro and 9800SE instead:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/manufact.asp?catalog=48&DEPA=1

    A ti4200 on ebay can be had for cheap and will give an impressive boost in
    performance.

    DaveL

    DaveL wrote:
    > A ti4200 on ebay can be had for cheap and will give an impressive
    boost in
    > performance.
    >
    > DaveL

    What about the DirectX 9 thing? Will this card work with World of
    Warcraft? I was thinking I saw the other day that it was a DirectX 8
    card.
    Thanks,
    Grateful

    > What about the DirectX 9 thing? Will this card work with World of
    > Warcraft? I was thinking I saw the other day that it was a DirectX 8
    > card.
    > Thanks,
    > Grateful

    A ti4x00 series card is only DX8.1 compliant. The nVidia FX-series and ATI
    9xxx series were the first DX9 (at least partially) compliant cards.

    A DX8 compliant card is compatible with DX9 games, but it will not use any
    of the advanced features offered in DX9 - it will use an older DX8 codepath.

    Grateful wrote:
    > Hi All,
    > My son has World of Warcraft on his AMD Athlon XP 2800+, nForce2
    > chipset, XP Home edition, 512mb of 2700 ram, GeForce4 MX integrated
    > graphics (1 AGP 8x slot available). Right now he's getting 15-20fps.
    > I've looked at an XFX 5200 256mb video card, $90 at Samsclub, but
    > everyone says it's junk. Would it be an improvement over what he has
    > now? I'm trying to stay under $125 for a card. Is there something out
    > there within my budget that is much better than the 5200, it must be
    > DirectX 9.
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    > Grateful

    A 5500 or 5700 (non-U, non-LE) will do more than fine in WoW.

    I played the open beta and stress test with a plain 5600 256MB card and
    it was just fine. A steady 25-30 (60 max) fps at 1280x960x32 with most
    everything high.

    The 9600 Pro is good, that's what my brother uses for it, but they're
    harder to find now. A 5500 runs 70-80 USD online, a 5700 for about 120.
    The 5700 is a little better than the 5600 was due to a refined
    architecture and better clocks/components.

    deimos wrote:
    > Grateful wrote:
    > > Hi All,
    > > My son has World of Warcraft on his AMD Athlon XP 2800+, nForce2
    > > chipset, XP Home edition, 512mb of 2700 ram, GeForce4 MX integrated
    > > graphics (1 AGP 8x slot available). Right now he's getting
    15-20fps.
    > > I've looked at an XFX 5200 256mb video card, $90 at Samsclub, but
    > > everyone says it's junk. Would it be an improvement over what he
    has
    > > now? I'm trying to stay under $125 for a card. Is there something
    out
    > > there within my budget that is much better than the 5200, it must
    be
    > > DirectX 9.
    > > Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    > > Grateful
    > >

    > A 5500 or 5700 (non-U, non-LE) will do more than fine in WoW.
    >
    > I played the open beta and stress test with a plain 5600 256MB card
    and
    > it was just fine. A steady 25-30 (60 max) fps at 1280x960x32 with
    most
    > everything high.
    >
    > The 9600 Pro is good, that's what my brother uses for it, but they're

    > harder to find now. A 5500 runs 70-80 USD online, a 5700 for about
    120.
    > The 5700 is a little better than the 5600 was due to a refined
    > architecture and better clocks/components.

    Hi deimos,
    That sounds like good news because was just in Staples to get some
    paper and walked over to the glass case and the salesgirl said she had
    sold a lot of the PNY 5500 8x AGP cards and besides that she said try
    it for 14 days and if you don't like it bring it back.
    Thanks a heap,
    Grateful

    > Hi deimos,
    > That sounds like good news because was just in Staples to get some
    > paper and walked over to the glass case and the salesgirl said she
    had
    > sold a lot of the PNY 5500 8x AGP cards and besides that she said try
    > it for 14 days and if you don't like it bring it back.
    > Thanks a heap,
    > Grateful

    I forgot to mention it's $80.00 after rebate.
    http://www.pny.com/products/verto/mainstream/5500agp.asp

    >A ti4x00 series card is only DX8.1 compliant. The nVidia FX-series and ATI
    >9xxx series were the first DX9 (at least partially) compliant cards.

    I believe the ti4x00 series cards are only DX8.0 compliant, not 8.1.

    Of course DXwhatever compliance isn't that huge of a deal. For
    instance, my FX5900 is DX9 compliant, but the DX9 path isn't all that
    great I've heard, the Valve source engine detects it as a DX9 card,
    but only runs it in DX8.1, most likely due to it being pretty bad DX9
    wise.

    --
    Tashfeen Bhimdi
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "Tashfeen Bhimdi" <tbhimdi@SPAMmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
    > >A ti4x00 series card is only DX8.1 compliant. The nVidia FX-series and
    > >ATI
    >>9xxx series were the first DX9 (at least partially) compliant cards.
    >
    > I believe the ti4x00 series cards are only DX8.0 compliant, not 8.1.
    >
    > Of course DXwhatever compliance isn't that huge of a deal. For
    > instance, my FX5900 is DX9 compliant, but the DX9 path isn't all that
    > great I've heard, the Valve source engine detects it as a DX9 card,
    > but only runs it in DX8.1, most likely due to it being pretty bad DX9
    > wise.
    >
    > --
    > Tashfeen Bhimdi

    The DX9 path isn't all that great on the FX-series cards because they're not
    that great. It shines on my 6800GT. :D
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Grateful wrote:
    > Hi All,
    > My son has World of Warcraft on his AMD Athlon XP 2800+, nForce2
    > chipset, XP Home edition, 512mb of 2700 ram, GeForce4 MX integrated
    > graphics (1 AGP 8x slot available). Right now he's getting 15-20fps.
    > I've looked at an XFX 5200 256mb video card, $90 at Samsclub, but
    > everyone says it's junk. Would it be an improvement over what he has
    > now? I'm trying to stay under $125 for a card. Is there something out
    > there within my budget that is much better than the 5200, it must be
    > DirectX 9.
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    > Grateful

    I had exactly the same set-up as you and the game ran very smoothly at
    low settings, HOWEVER, I have 1 Gb of RAM. I'm not an expert, but this
    might make a difference. Remember you're losing at least 64Mb of your
    system RAM to your integrated graphics, maybe more.

    Installed a new 6800GT just yesterday, and now is runs very, very fast
    at max settings. You don't need to spend this much though.

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    deimos wrote:
    > Grateful wrote:
    > > Hi All,
    > > My son has World of Warcraft on his AMD Athlon XP 2800+, nForce2
    > > chipset, XP Home edition, 512mb of 2700 ram, GeForce4 MX integrated
    > > graphics (1 AGP 8x slot available). Right now he's getting
    15-20fps.
    > > I've looked at an XFX 5200 256mb video card, $90 at Samsclub, but
    > > everyone says it's junk. Would it be an improvement over what he
    has
    > > now? I'm trying to stay under $125 for a card. Is there something
    out
    > > there within my budget that is much better than the 5200, it must
    be
    > > DirectX 9.
    > > Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    > > Grateful
    > >

    > A 5500 or 5700 (non-U, non-LE) will do more than fine in WoW.
    >
    > I played the open beta and stress test with a plain 5600 256MB card
    and
    > it was just fine. A steady 25-30 (60 max) fps at 1280x960x32 with
    most
    > everything high.
    >
    > The 9600 Pro is good, that's what my brother uses for it, but they're

    > harder to find now. A 5500 runs 70-80 USD online, a 5700 for about
    120.
    > The 5700 is a little better than the 5600 was due to a refined
    > architecture and better clocks/components.

    We got the PNY 5500 card and all is well. He gets 20 to 50 fps and no
    lag.
    Thanks again for all the halp,
    Grateful

Nvidia Graphics Cards World Of Warcraft Windows XP Graphics