Power supply fan noisy

The fan on the power supply of my 500 MX is failing.

Since I have never done anything like this before I thought it might
be good to ask for advice on how to:

get the fan off the power supply and out of the cabinet

a source for a replacement.

anything special I should be aware of.

Thanks.

The normal procedure used to repair most computers is to replace the power
supply.

I rarely deviate from the normal procedure. I did so last week when a
customer's ugly Compaq computer showed up here with a strangely shaped power
supply, which would have cost $100 just to replace plus my labor charge.

Power supply fans are soldered directly to the small circuit board inside. They
customarily operate at 12v. Open up the power supply. Snip the fan's power
leads as close to the fan itself as possible. Remove the fan by detaching the
(usually) 4 screws that hold it in. Now solder the wire leads of the new fan to
the leads coming from inside the power supply, matching the colors of the wires.
Tape the soldering job tightly with electrical tape. Take a plastic cable tie
and tighten it around the electrical tape to keep it from unwrapping. Attach
the new fan inside the power supply, tuck the wires back inside, and close up
the power supply.

However, you are much better off replacing the power supply if it is either
standard ATX or one of the semi-standard microATX ones. Replacement cost should
run no more than $30 or $40, unless the seller is ripping you off.

Even before attempting replacement, open up the chassis and use a can of
compressed air to blow all the dust out of the power supply, its fan, any other
fans, and all nooks and crannies inside the computer. Sometimes a bit of dust
gets lodged in the fan where it makes a lot of noise. Compressed air works
especially when the fan bearings have not been seriously damaged by debris.

.... Ben Myers

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 07:14:51 -0500, j walker <SC@alltel.net> wrote:

>The fan on the power supply of my 500 MX is failing.
>
>Since I have never done anything like this before I thought it might
>be good to ask for advice on how to:
>
> get the fan off the power supply and out of the cabinet
>
> a source for a replacement.
>
> anything special I should be aware of.
>
>Thanks.

Ben, Thanks for the advice. I live on a farm and it is a 100+ mile
trip to anyplace that I might find a power supply.

Is there an online source you can recommend?

> The normal procedure used to repair most computers is to replace the power
> supply.
>
> I rarely deviate from the normal procedure. I did so last week when a
> customer's ugly Compaq computer showed up here with a strangely shaped
> power
> supply, which would have cost $100 just to replace plus my labor charge.
>
> Power supply fans are soldered directly to the small circuit board inside.
> They
> customarily operate at 12v. Open up the power supply. Snip the fan's
> power
> leads as close to the fan itself as possible. Remove the fan by detaching
> the
> (usually) 4 screws that hold it in. Now solder the wire leads of the new
> fan to
> the leads coming from inside the power supply, matching the colors of the
> wires.
> Tape the soldering job tightly with electrical tape. Take a plastic cable
> tie
> and tighten it around the electrical tape to keep it from unwrapping.
> Attach
> the new fan inside the power supply, tuck the wires back inside, and close
> up
> the power supply.
>
> However, you are much better off replacing the power supply if it is
> either
> standard ATX or one of the semi-standard microATX ones. Replacement cost
> should
> run no more than $30 or $40, unless the seller is ripping you off.
>
> Even before attempting replacement, open up the chassis and use a can of
> compressed air to blow all the dust out of the power supply, its fan, any
> other
> fans, and all nooks and crannies inside the computer. Sometimes a bit of
> dust
> gets lodged in the fan where it makes a lot of noise. Compressed air
> works
> especially when the fan bearings have not been seriously damaged by
> debris.
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 07:14:51 -0500, j walker <SC@alltel.net> wrote:
>

>>The fan on the power supply of my 500 MX is failing.
>>
>>Since I have never done anything like this before I thought it might
>>be good to ask for advice on how to:
>>
>> get the fan off the power supply and out of the cabinet
>>
>> a source for a replacement.
>>
>> anything special I should be aware of.
>>
>>Thanks.

Agree totally with Ben here. It would be just as easy to replace the power
supply. They make some very good, quiet power supply's nowdays. For a bit
more $$$ you can even get a fanless power supply if you're so inclined.

On a side note, I just had to replace a Compaq Power supply at work. God I
hate non-standard proprietary parts! Compaq's got to have that market
covered for sure. Cost $120 for a 250W PS. At least Compaq threw in next
day shipping at no charge... I did find an alternative use for the Antec I
bough in anticipation of a simple fix ;-)

--
"Hurricane" Andrew
Milford, DE

smith

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2003

I replaced mine with a Sparkle 300w one no problem, $25 is what I paid for
mine I think. Go to http://www.pricewatch.com/ and search for "sparkle atx
300w" and a bunch should come up.

Smith

"j walker" <SC@alltel.net> wrote in message
> Ben, Thanks for the advice. I live on a farm and it is a 100+ mile
> trip to anyplace that I might find a power supply.
>
> Is there an online source you can recommend?
>

> On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 13:29:12 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
> (Ben Myers) wrote:
>
>>The normal procedure used to repair most computers is to replace the power
>>supply.
>>
>>I rarely deviate from the normal procedure. I did so last week when a
>>customer's ugly Compaq computer showed up here with a strangely shaped
>>power
>>supply, which would have cost $100 just to replace plus my labor charge.
>>
>>Power supply fans are soldered directly to the small circuit board inside.
>>They
>>customarily operate at 12v. Open up the power supply. Snip the fan's
>>power
>>leads as close to the fan itself as possible. Remove the fan by detaching
>>the
>>(usually) 4 screws that hold it in. Now solder the wire leads of the new
>>fan to
>>the leads coming from inside the power supply, matching the colors of the
>>wires.
>>Tape the soldering job tightly with electrical tape. Take a plastic cable
>>tie
>>and tighten it around the electrical tape to keep it from unwrapping.
>>Attach
>>the new fan inside the power supply, tuck the wires back inside, and close
>>up
>>the power supply.
>>
>>However, you are much better off replacing the power supply if it is
>>either
>>standard ATX or one of the semi-standard microATX ones. Replacement cost
>>should
>>run no more than $30 or $40, unless the seller is ripping you off.
>>
>>Even before attempting replacement, open up the chassis and use a can of
>>compressed air to blow all the dust out of the power supply, its fan, any
>>other
>>fans, and all nooks and crannies inside the computer. Sometimes a bit of
>>dust
>>gets lodged in the fan where it makes a lot of noise. Compressed air
>>works
>>especially when the fan bearings have not been seriously damaged by
>>debris.
>>
>>... Ben Myers
>>
>>On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 07:14:51 -0500, j walker <SC@alltel.net> wrote:
>>

>>>The fan on the power supply of my 500 MX is failing.
>>>
>>>Since I have never done anything like this before I thought it might
>>>be good to ask for advice on how to:
>>>
>>> get the fan off the power supply and out of the cabinet
>>>
>>> a source for a replacement.
>>>
>>> anything special I should be aware of.
>>>
>>>Thanks.

According to the Gateway web site, the power supply photo appears to be a
standard ATX form factor with P4 12v power connector and SATA drive power
connectors. The power supply is rated at 300w. If this is accurate, there is
no reason to pay extortion for a Gateway-branded power supply.

PC Power & Cooling sells good power supplies, tho they are pricey. Egghead,
CompUSA, Fry's may all have on-line sales of power supplies. Beyond that, I'm
not sure... Ben Myers

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 19:37:57 -0500, j walker <SC@alltel.net> wrote:

>Ben, Thanks for the advice. I live on a farm and it is a 100+ mile
>trip to anyplace that I might find a power supply.
>
>Is there an online source you can recommend?
>

>On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 13:29:12 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
>(Ben Myers) wrote:
>
>>The normal procedure used to repair most computers is to replace the power
>>supply.
>>
>>I rarely deviate from the normal procedure. I did so last week when a
>>customer's ugly Compaq computer showed up here with a strangely shaped power
>>supply, which would have cost $100 just to replace plus my labor charge.
>>
>>Power supply fans are soldered directly to the small circuit board inside. They
>>customarily operate at 12v. Open up the power supply. Snip the fan's power
>>leads as close to the fan itself as possible. Remove the fan by detaching the
>>(usually) 4 screws that hold it in. Now solder the wire leads of the new fan to
>>the leads coming from inside the power supply, matching the colors of the wires.
>>Tape the soldering job tightly with electrical tape. Take a plastic cable tie
>>and tighten it around the electrical tape to keep it from unwrapping. Attach
>>the new fan inside the power supply, tuck the wires back inside, and close up
>>the power supply.
>>
>>However, you are much better off replacing the power supply if it is either
>>standard ATX or one of the semi-standard microATX ones. Replacement cost should
>>run no more than $30 or $40, unless the seller is ripping you off.
>>
>>Even before attempting replacement, open up the chassis and use a can of
>>compressed air to blow all the dust out of the power supply, its fan, any other
>>fans, and all nooks and crannies inside the computer. Sometimes a bit of dust
>>gets lodged in the fan where it makes a lot of noise. Compressed air works
>>especially when the fan bearings have not been seriously damaged by debris.
>>
>>... Ben Myers
>>
>>On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 07:14:51 -0500, j walker <SC@alltel.net> wrote:
>>

>>>The fan on the power supply of my 500 MX is failing.
>>>
>>>Since I have never done anything like this before I thought it might
>>>be good to ask for advice on how to:
>>>
>>> get the fan off the power supply and out of the cabinet
>>>
>>> a source for a replacement.
>>>
>>> anything special I should be aware of.
>>>
>>>Thanks.

www.newegg.com

Best source of stuff in the business.

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 04:13:10 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
(Ben Myers) wrote:

>According to the Gateway web site, the power supply photo appears to be a
>standard ATX form factor with P4 12v power connector and SATA drive power
>connectors. The power supply is rated at 300w. If this is accurate, there is
>no reason to pay extortion for a Gateway-branded power supply.
>
>PC Power & Cooling sells good power supplies, tho they are pricey. Egghead,
>CompUSA, Fry's may all have on-line sales of power supplies. Beyond that, I'm
>not sure... Ben Myers
>
>On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 19:37:57 -0500, j walker <SC@alltel.net> wrote:
>
>>Ben, Thanks for the advice. I live on a farm and it is a 100+ mile
>>trip to anyplace that I might find a power supply.
>>
>>Is there an online source you can recommend?
>>

>>On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 13:29:12 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
>>(Ben Myers) wrote:
>>
>>>The normal procedure used to repair most computers is to replace the power
>>>supply.
>>>
>>>I rarely deviate from the normal procedure. I did so last week when a
>>>customer's ugly Compaq computer showed up here with a strangely shaped power
>>>supply, which would have cost $100 just to replace plus my labor charge.
>>>
>>>Power supply fans are soldered directly to the small circuit board inside. They
>>>customarily operate at 12v. Open up the power supply. Snip the fan's power
>>>leads as close to the fan itself as possible. Remove the fan by detaching the
>>>(usually) 4 screws that hold it in. Now solder the wire leads of the new fan to
>>>the leads coming from inside the power supply, matching the colors of the wires.
>>>Tape the soldering job tightly with electrical tape. Take a plastic cable tie
>>>and tighten it around the electrical tape to keep it from unwrapping. Attach
>>>the new fan inside the power supply, tuck the wires back inside, and close up
>>>the power supply.
>>>
>>>However, you are much better off replacing the power supply if it is either
>>>standard ATX or one of the semi-standard microATX ones. Replacement cost should
>>>run no more than $30 or $40, unless the seller is ripping you off.
>>>
>>>Even before attempting replacement, open up the chassis and use a can of
>>>compressed air to blow all the dust out of the power supply, its fan, any other
>>>fans, and all nooks and crannies inside the computer. Sometimes a bit of dust
>>>gets lodged in the fan where it makes a lot of noise. Compressed air works
>>>especially when the fan bearings have not been seriously damaged by debris.
>>>
>>>... Ben Myers

----------------

"Jim, you think he's with Jesus now? We only have 30 seconds." - Larry King to "Passion" star Jim Caviezel, on the Pope.

Sparkle brand power supplies have a higher-than-normal failure rate, at least in
Central Massachusetts... Ben Myers

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 03:55:10 -0400, "Smith" <rangerxlt92@cox.net> wrote:

>I replaced mine with a Sparkle 300w one no problem, $25 is what I paid for
>mine I think. Go to http://www.pricewatch.com/ and search for "sparkle atx
>300w" and a bunch should come up.
>
>Smith
>
>"j walker" <SC@alltel.net> wrote in message
>> Ben, Thanks for the advice. I live on a farm and it is a 100+ mile
>> trip to anyplace that I might find a power supply.
>>
>> Is there an online source you can recommend?
>>

>> On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 13:29:12 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
>> (Ben Myers) wrote:
>>
>>>The normal procedure used to repair most computers is to replace the power
>>>supply.
>>>
>>>I rarely deviate from the normal procedure. I did so last week when a
>>>customer's ugly Compaq computer showed up here with a strangely shaped
>>>power
>>>supply, which would have cost $100 just to replace plus my labor charge.
>>>
>>>Power supply fans are soldered directly to the small circuit board inside.
>>>They
>>>customarily operate at 12v. Open up the power supply. Snip the fan's
>>>power
>>>leads as close to the fan itself as possible. Remove the fan by detaching
>>>the
>>>(usually) 4 screws that hold it in. Now solder the wire leads of the new
>>>fan to
>>>the leads coming from inside the power supply, matching the colors of the
>>>wires.
>>>Tape the soldering job tightly with electrical tape. Take a plastic cable
>>>tie
>>>and tighten it around the electrical tape to keep it from unwrapping.
>>>Attach
>>>the new fan inside the power supply, tuck the wires back inside, and close
>>>up
>>>the power supply.
>>>
>>>However, you are much better off replacing the power supply if it is
>>>either
>>>standard ATX or one of the semi-standard microATX ones. Replacement cost
>>>should
>>>run no more than $30 or $40, unless the seller is ripping you off.
>>>
>>>Even before attempting replacement, open up the chassis and use a can of
>>>compressed air to blow all the dust out of the power supply, its fan, any
>>>other
>>>fans, and all nooks and crannies inside the computer. Sometimes a bit of
>>>dust
>>>gets lodged in the fan where it makes a lot of noise. Compressed air
>>>works
>>>especially when the fan bearings have not been seriously damaged by
>>>debris.
>>>
>>>... Ben Myers

Thanks to everybody for the advice.

As it sometimes happens, I found a local guy that had a fan that would
fit and I took my power supply over and for $10.00 he installed the
new fan while I waited. And later when I couldn't remember where all
the plugs went he helped over the phone.

I couldn't have asked for more.

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 07:14:51 -0500, j walker <SC@alltel.net> wrote:

>The fan on the power supply of my 500 MX is failing.
>
>Since I have never done anything like this before I thought it might
>be good to ask for advice on how to:
>
> get the fan off the power supply and out of the cabinet
>
> a source for a replacement.
>
> anything special I should be aware of.
>
>Thanks.

smith

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2003

Really? People I talked to before I bought it said they were great...mine's
still going strong at least.