perspective blurring?

Can any graphics cards do it? Can it be programmed on the hardware side?

We've had motion blur since the V5 but its not been commonly used as far as
i am aware but what about perspective blurring?

With MS Flight Sim screenshots ive been using photoshop to blur a layer and
mask out parts to stay in focus and it looks quite good but why couldnt it
be done in a game anyway?

thanks

GT-Force

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2004

Download "The Project", a Demo for ATI created by using Cry Engine. It has
Depth of Field.

http://www.ati.com/gitg/promotions/crytek/

It also has the video, so that, you can see how it should be rendered.

Another ATI demo, Ruby, has Depth of Field, too.

The Project does not run on my 6800GT correctly (it can not create the
blurred regions correctly). It ran fine on my previous card ATI 9700 Pro,
and it looked very nice. Although this is a demo optimized for ATI, it
should be DX9, so I don't know why nVidia can not render it correctly. Maybe
it is their drivers? They better fix it quickly, since Far Cry 2 is in the
works and will utilize all these nice effects.

Have fun :)

GT

Kokoro wrote:
> Can any graphics cards do it? Can it be programmed on the hardware side?
>
> We've had motion blur since the V5 but its not been commonly used as far as
> i am aware but what about perspective blurring?
>
> With MS Flight Sim screenshots ive been using photoshop to blur a layer and
> mask out parts to stay in focus and it looks quite good but why couldnt it
> be done in a game anyway?
>
> thanks

Simple DOF and motion blur effects have been created for years in OpenGL
demos using an accumulaion buffer. This is basically the same technique
as software renderers use (POV-Ray, MentalRay, Yafray, Blender, Maya).

The 3DFX "T-Buffer" was just that, a multipurpose register that could be
used for object depth buffering (like a W-Buffer today), accumulation
effects, etc.

In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, GT-Force ordered an army of
hamsters to type:

> Download "The Project", a Demo for ATI created by using Cry Engine. It
> has Depth of Field.
>
> http://www.ati.com/gitg/promotions/crytek/
>
> It also has the video, so that, you can see how it should be rendered.
>
> Another ATI demo, Ruby, has Depth of Field, too.
>
> The Project does not run on my 6800GT correctly (it can not create the
> blurred regions correctly). It ran fine on my previous card ATI 9700
> Pro, and it looked very nice. Although this is a demo optimized for
> ATI, it should be DX9, so I don't know why nVidia can not render it
> correctly. Maybe it is their drivers? They better fix it quickly,
> since Far Cry 2 is in the works and will utilize all these nice
> effects.
>
> Have fun :)
>
> GT

Thanks for the reply. I doubt my 6800GT would work either. But its nice
to know that there is at least some application out there that use the
feature. We might see more in the future ^_^

In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, deimos ordered an army of
hamsters to type:

> Simple DOF and motion blur effects have been created for years in
> OpenGL demos using an accumulaion buffer. This is basically the same
> technique as software renderers use (POV-Ray, MentalRay, Yafray,
> Blender, Maya).
>
> The 3DFX "T-Buffer" was just that, a multipurpose register that could
> be used for object depth buffering (like a W-Buffer today),
> accumulation effects, etc.

Thanks for the reply. I hope more games use this feature in future. HL3
perhaps?

I've heard (from a hesitatently reliable source) that there will be only
one more release of MS Flight Sim using the current engine before a whole
new one will be shown off. We can hope depth of field is one of the new 3d
engine gizmos.