6600GT and needed power supply

OK. Bought a 6600GT AGP online for $216. Works great - after I had to
take care of one little thing.

Now, I had researched this card in the last few weeks. Either here in
this newsgroup - somewhere anyway, I read that the minimum power supply
for the 6600GT was 300 watts.

Well forget it. At least the one I bought. I didn't see the power supply
requirements listed online when I bought, nor did I look at the box when
received, and I installed it. Worked fine until I loaded any game where
the graphics acceleration would kick in, and then my computer crashed to
nothingness, and I had to cold boot.

Finally after several things tried, I looked at the box. "minimum of a
450 watt power supply is needed".

So I went and bought a 500 watt power supply, and it works great.

Actually I bought a fancy looking 600 watt power supply 1st, took it home,
carefully & meticulously installed it correctly, even tying up wires here
& there to get them out of the way, started my computer, the light came
on, after two second, dead. Thought I blew it and fried my computer.
Come to find out, after taking the darned thing in because I had no ideas,
that the power supply was bad. Let that be a lesson to you guys, fancy
schmansy 600 watt power crazy wanting people, be careful what brand you
buy, I of course never would buy anything from that company again.

There ought to be some kind of consumer protection laws out there that
would reimburse me for the time it took me to install an item that was
defective & had to be replaced. If the store is going to charge me $45 to
install a power supply, then my time should be worth at least half of
that. & what about traveling & gas & wear & tear on my car? & esp3cially
what about the mental aguish I felt when I thought I had fried my computer
and maybe everything in it?

...D.
81 answers Last reply
More about 6600gt needed power supply

    "...D." <d@no_usenet_email..org> wrote in message
    > OK. Bought a 6600GT AGP online for $216. Works great - after I had to
    > take care of one little thing.
    >
    > Now, I had researched this card in the last few weeks. Either here in
    > this newsgroup - somewhere anyway, I read that the minimum power supply
    > for the 6600GT was 300 watts.
    >
    > Well forget it. At least the one I bought. I didn't see the power supply
    > requirements listed online when I bought, nor did I look at the box when
    > received, and I installed it. Worked fine until I loaded any game where
    > the graphics acceleration would kick in, and then my computer crashed to
    > nothingness, and I had to cold boot.
    >
    > Finally after several things tried, I looked at the box. "minimum of a
    > 450 watt power supply is needed".
    >
    > So I went and bought a 500 watt power supply, and it works great.
    >
    > Actually I bought a fancy looking 600 watt power supply 1st, took it home,
    > carefully & meticulously installed it correctly, even tying up wires here
    > & there to get them out of the way, started my computer, the light came
    > on, after two second, dead. Thought I blew it and fried my computer.
    > Come to find out, after taking the darned thing in because I had no ideas,
    > that the power supply was bad. Let that be a lesson to you guys, fancy
    > schmansy 600 watt power crazy wanting people, be careful what brand you
    > buy, I of course never would buy anything from that company again.
    >
    > There ought to be some kind of consumer protection laws out there that
    > would reimburse me for the time it took me to install an item that was
    > defective & had to be replaced. If the store is going to charge me $45 to
    > install a power supply, then my time should be worth at least half of
    > that. & what about traveling & gas & wear & tear on my car? & esp3cially
    > what about the mental aguish I felt when I thought I had fried my computer
    > and maybe everything in it?
    >
    > ...D.

    Very interesting comment.
    I, too and many other have that same comment when that situation occured.
    But I never effectively doing / acting on it.
    I hope you will act on it and hope to see that comment become law.

    CapFusion,...

    I bought a 550 watt Antec power supply unit (PSU), but it did fry my motherboard.

    I contacted Antec and they said it was a problem with my motherboard and not that PSU, even though my computer was working fine until I replaced the PSU. They said the only thing they can do it replace the PSU (not the motherboard). Needless to say, I won't be purchasing anything from Antec again.

    Hah! I just looked up power supplies at Amazon. The Antec 550 is rated five
    stars by five reviewers. I'd have bought it based on that.

    "John Eckart" <JEckart@mail.com> wrote in message
    I bought a 550 watt Antec power supply unit (PSU), but it did fry my
    motherboard.

    I contacted Antec and they said it was a problem with my motherboard and not
    that PSU, even though my computer was working fine until I replaced the PSU.
    They said the only thing they can do it replace the PSU (not the
    motherboard). Needless to say, I won't be purchasing anything from Antec
    again.

    I had almost the same with a fx5900, i got messages that i have insufficient
    power and the card switched to a lower mode.So i thought what i going on?I
    pressed the connector to the videocard,enz.

    The strange thing was that i bought a new powersupply 3 months before i got
    the videocard,this was the Qtec 500 watt version, so i thought i was safe.

    Alright i began to look why i had still insufficient power, and i found on
    the internet the answer;Qtec did a little marketing trick;the 500watts were
    peak ratings!!!!thus not the nominal ratings!!!

    You can understand that i was shocked so i bought a powersupply from a good
    brand;tagan 480w, if you have this brand you will notice the difference like
    the cables, even the powercord is shielded and filtered!!!!!

    How is it possible that they can fool people like this, i mean you think you
    buy a 500 watt powersupply but you will get a 350 watt powersupply, for
    example.This is really misleading customers!!!!!

    "...D." <d@no_usenet_email..org> schreef in bericht

    "jo" <casema@cas.nl> wrote
    > You can understand that i was shocked so i bought a powersupply from a
    > good brand;tagan 480w

    tom's hardware has had several Tagans fail.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.

    What you want to look for is the amperage rating of each voltage rail,
    mainly the 3.3 volt, 5 and 12.

    DaveL

    "jo" <casema@cas.nl> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > on, after two second, dead. Thought I blew it and fried my computer.
    > > Come to find out, after taking the darned thing in because I had no
    ideas,
    > > that the power supply was bad. Let that be a lesson to you guys, fancy
    > > schmansy 600 watt power crazy wanting people, be careful what brand you
    > > buy, I of course never would buy anything from that company again.
    > >
    > > There ought to be some kind of consumer protection laws out there that
    > > would reimburse me for the time it took me to install an item that was
    > > defective & had to be replaced. If the store is going to charge me $45
    > > install a power supply, then my time should be worth at least half of
    > > that. & what about traveling & gas & wear & tear on my car? &
    esp3cially
    > > what about the mental aguish I felt when I thought I had fried my

    I didn't know that, i will have a look.

    Anyway it's better then the qtec i had.

    "jo" <casema@cas.nl> wrote
    >I didn't know that, i will have a look.

    It's here under Dec. 21
    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041217/index.html

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.

    Are you sure that the new 6600GT (AGP) cards need that much power?

    I have currently a Winfast FX5600 in my Antec Sonata case (380W True
    Power) and intend to replace it with a new Winfast A6600 GT TDH (AGP).

    The people in HardwareZone tested this card. They report that "A decent
    brand named 300W to
    350W power supply unit would do the job adequately for a simple
    system".

    It's here:

    http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=3&id=1309&pg=3
    I hope I don't have to change my PSU.

    Orhan

    6600GT itself should draw no more than 75W of power (because it is PCI-E
    limitation and 6600GT is completely supplied by PCI-E bus).

    Indeed, mine runs fine in Shuttle SN85G4V2 with 240W power supply. But I
    gess tou need real power, not fancy looking label on power supply.

    Mirek

    "...D." <d@no_usenet_email..org> píse v diskusním príspevku

    "Mirek Fídler" <cxl@volny.cz> wrote in message
    > 6600GT itself should draw no more than 75W of power (because it is PCI-E
    > limitation and 6600GT is completely supplied by PCI-E bus).
    >
    > Indeed, mine runs fine in Shuttle SN85G4V2 with 240W power supply. But I
    > gess tou need real power, not fancy looking label on power supply.

    Although I have been buying ATI cards for a long time, I haven't been doing
    it because I am some die hard ATI fanatic. All this to say, that unless ATI
    addresses the mid-range by the time I buy my next card - maybe a month or
    two - it will definitely be an nVidia. IMHO this is really the first time
    that one or the other has *definitely* owned a price/performance slot since
    back when nVidia was the dx8 king. ATI really doesn't have anything that
    compares to the 6600GT/6800 in the price range, much less close... Funny
    thing, I know alot of people like nVidia drivers but I really never have...

    Oh, and a funny story - which is why I replied to this thread - I have been
    running a Gigabyte K8VT800M ( 754-3000+ w/512mb pc3200 ) off of *get this*
    an old 145w psu ( I had to make an adapter to plug into a drive connector to
    get the 12v for the cpu ), this after my uber 500w psu blew chunks... Now,
    this is with a burner and an ATI 9500, and I can run usb powered peripherals
    off of it too... Power supplies nowadays are like Kleenex, brand names that
    you throw away!
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    On 24 Dec 2004 07:55:05 -0800, oooglu@hotmail.com wrote:
    >Are you sure that the new 6600GT (AGP) cards need that much power?
    >I have currently a Winfast FX5600 in my Antec Sonata case (380W True
    >Power) and intend to replace it with a new Winfast A6600 GT TDH (AGP).
    >The people in HardwareZone tested this card. They report that "A decent
    >brand named 300W to 350W power supply unit would do the job
    >adequately for a simple system".
    >I hope I don't have to change my PSU. >Orhan

    OK. I'll be a little more specific (Me = original thread-starter). I
    clicked the lowest link I could find for a 6600GT through a pricing search
    engine. It was $216. Now, I blew it only because I went and bought it
    from a company that has a store in LA, Ca, and thus because I too live in
    Calif, there is a law "dl;ive in c\Ca, but from a Ca company - pay online
    sales tax. So, I paid an extra $17+. I won't get into what I think of
    this law (but my comments are on my website at:
    http://www.kicknet.net/newsuse2.html ).

    The box is in the outline of the letter X, and it says GEFORCE 6600GT on
    it, with an nVidia logo over to the side. AGP 8X. If you look on the side
    in little print it also says 4x 8x. The brand name is XFX. The maker is
    Pine, or Pine Technologies - not sure - not on the box, but I did call
    them after I had the problems, phone # provided by the place I bought.
    The tech guy who answered did not suggest to me it could be an inadequate
    power supply. But it say right there in the small print right with this
    other stuff "A minimum of a 450W power supply". See, the 300 - 350 watt
    specs I've read about in reviews then are hogwash. That's what threw me
    off and I just didn't suspect it. The PCIE version needs less power I
    read on the link in the previous message - and also beliow at a different
    site - and interestingly, the link below (near m of this post) says a
    molex connector will be needed for my AGP version, and it does not have
    one. Anyway, with the "Allied" 500 watt power supply i ended up with, no
    problems.

    This card only requires one AGP slot & no molex connector as mentioned..
    Plug & play after installing the driver. I did not get Doom 3 bundled
    with it. I did get 3 games - NASCAR Thunder 2004 (1 CD) , Commandos 3
    Berlin (3 CDs), & X2 The Threat (2 CDs). I bought a 410 on sale Saitek
    steering wheel for the racing game (not a bad wheel if you aren't super
    serious & want the foot controls instead of levels & buttons on the
    wheel).

    Also, it says it'll run with as low a processor as a P2, and palin Windows
    98. The output on the end is like in the pictures - 2 DVI outs and a
    S-video out for the TV. (I am going to be able to watch my torrent-gotten
    AVIs). I am not sure what kind of picture I'll get, on a standard 27 inch
    TV though. It might be interesting to play the game on the Tv rather than
    the monitor. They also supply 2 DVI to CRT connectors, and a S-Video
    cable.

    Like I said, 300W power supply - crashed every time I started any game
    that wanted to really use the graphics acceleration, but with the 500 W
    power supply installed, no problems so far. I don't know where those
    reviews come up with a 300W power supply will work...

    Yep - here is another review - again, a pre-release AGP review. Same day
    as release. And this one says it will need a molex connector:
    " The NVIDIA power supply recommendation for the GeForce 6600GT AGP
    version is a minimum 300 watt power supply. As you can see, it does have
    an external Molex connector that is needed to supply enough power to this
    video card since the AGP bus cannot provide as much power as the
    PCI-Express bus slot can."
    http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Njg5

    BTW here is a link that compares the 9800 pro & the 6600GT AGP (& 6800)
    running in about 10 games, and for different resolutions:
    http://www.hardavenue.com/reviews/gf6600gtagp1.shtml

    ------

    ...D.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "John David Carter" <char3091@bellsouth.net> wrote
    > ATI really doesn't have anything that compares to the 6600GT/6800 in the
    > price range, much less close...

    They just announced their pci-e to agp bridge, so it's possible they'll come
    out with a $200 X800.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Various psu's list their 3.3, 5, and 12v ratings in amps, and their combined
    3.3 and 5, and 3.3 + 5 + 12v ratings.

    So, if you can add up all your stuff so you know what each rail totals, you
    can tell if your psu is up to it. You have to look up the power on all your
    stuff.

    Here's the amps on a pci-e 6600GT:

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce6600gt-oc_3.html

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/misc/picture/?src=/images/video/geforce6600gt-oc/6600gt_power_table-b.gif&1=1

    Here's a little calculator.

    http://takaman.jp/D/?english

    [For the hd's in his list, he seems to be using the startup amps, which is
    way more than the running amps. Of course when you start up your video card
    won't be pulling much, so it can balance out.]

    The nice thing is, for the pci-e one at least, it's mainly using the 12v
    rail, which may have plenty to spare on a 32bit amd system with a good
    quality 300w psu. I know mine is already nearly maxed on the 30a 5v rail. I
    don't know about intels. 64 bit amd would be using the 12v. [There could be
    more to this than I know about.]

    I don't know what that agp bridge will add. Hopefull xbitlabs will measure
    one.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Yep, your right, i bought since i didn't trust brands like topower,enz
    others were too expensive or had neon light and other flassy things i didn't
    want, i just wanted have a no nonsense powersupply.I hope this power supply
    will hold out long, but i'm not overstressing it, so things will be allright
    i hope.Anyway thanks for the info.

    John

    > "jo" <casema@cas.nl> wrote
    >>I didn't know that, i will have a look.
    >
    > It's here under Dec. 21
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041217/index.html
    >

    > --
    > Ed Light
    >
    > Smiley :-/
    > MS Smiley :-\
    >
    > Send spam to the FTC at
    > uce@ftc.gov
    > Thanks, robots.

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:43:35 +0100, "jo" <casema@cas.nl> wrote:

    >I had almost the same with a fx5900, i got messages that i have insufficient
    >power and the card switched to a lower mode.So i thought what i going on?I
    >pressed the connector to the videocard,enz.
    >
    >The strange thing was that i bought a new powersupply 3 months before i got
    >the videocard,this was the Qtec 500 watt version, so i thought i was safe.
    >
    >Alright i began to look why i had still insufficient power, and i found on
    >the internet the answer;Qtec did a little marketing trick;the 500watts were
    >peak ratings!!!!thus not the nominal ratings!!!
    >
    >You can understand that i was shocked so i bought a powersupply from a good
    >brand;tagan 480w, if you have this brand you will notice the difference like
    >the cables, even the powercord is shielded and filtered!!!!!
    >
    >How is it possible that they can fool people like this, i mean you think you
    >buy a 500 watt powersupply but you will get a 350 watt powersupply, for
    >example.This is really misleading customers!!!!!
    i have a dual rail 470w PSU for my GF6800 Ultra

    >"...D." <d@no_usenet_email..org> schreef in bericht
    >> OK. Bought a 6600GT AGP online for $216. Works great - after I had to
    >> take care of one little thing.
    >>
    >> Now, I had researched this card in the last few weeks. Either here in
    >> this newsgroup - somewhere anyway, I read that the minimum power supply
    >> for the 6600GT was 300 watts.
    >>
    >> Well forget it. At least the one I bought. I didn't see the power supply
    >> requirements listed online when I bought, nor did I look at the box when
    >> received, and I installed it. Worked fine until I loaded any game where
    >> the graphics acceleration would kick in, and then my computer crashed to
    >> nothingness, and I had to cold boot.
    >>
    >> Finally after several things tried, I looked at the box. "minimum of a
    >> 450 watt power supply is needed".
    >>
    >> So I went and bought a 500 watt power supply, and it works great.
    >>
    >> Actually I bought a fancy looking 600 watt power supply 1st, took it home,
    >> carefully & meticulously installed it correctly, even tying up wires here
    >> & there to get them out of the way, started my computer, the light came
    >> on, after two second, dead. Thought I blew it and fried my computer.
    >> Come to find out, after taking the darned thing in because I had no ideas,
    >> that the power supply was bad. Let that be a lesson to you guys, fancy
    >> schmansy 600 watt power crazy wanting people, be careful what brand you
    >> buy, I of course never would buy anything from that company again.
    >>
    >> There ought to be some kind of consumer protection laws out there that
    >> would reimburse me for the time it took me to install an item that was
    >> defective & had to be replaced. If the store is going to charge me $45 to
    >> install a power supply, then my time should be worth at least half of
    >> that. & what about traveling & gas & wear & tear on my car? & esp3cially
    >> what about the mental aguish I felt when I thought I had fried my computer
    >> and maybe everything in it?
    >>
    >> ...D.

  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "I have been running my Winfast 6600GT PCIe with an Athlon 3500+,
    A8N-SLI
    and an Antec Sonata TruePower 380 for the last few days and it is both
    quiet and fast."

    This is the light I needed. Thanks.

    Orhan
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    ....D. wrote:
    > OK. Bought a 6600GT AGP online for $216. Works great - after I had to
    > take care of one little thing.
    >
    > Now, I had researched this card in the last few weeks. Either here in
    > this newsgroup - somewhere anyway, I read that the minimum power supply
    > for the 6600GT was 300 watts.
    >
    > Well forget it. At least the one I bought. I didn't see the power supply
    > requirements listed online when I bought, nor did I look at the box when
    > received, and I installed it. Worked fine until I loaded any game where
    > the graphics acceleration would kick in, and then my computer crashed to
    > nothingness, and I had to cold boot.
    >
    > Finally after several things tried, I looked at the box. "minimum of a
    > 450 watt power supply is needed".
    >
    > So I went and bought a 500 watt power supply, and it works great.
    >
    > Actually I bought a fancy looking 600 watt power supply 1st, took it home,
    > carefully & meticulously installed it correctly, even tying up wires here
    > & there to get them out of the way, started my computer, the light came
    > on, after two second, dead. Thought I blew it and fried my computer.
    > Come to find out, after taking the darned thing in because I had no ideas,
    > that the power supply was bad. Let that be a lesson to you guys, fancy
    > schmansy 600 watt power crazy wanting people, be careful what brand you
    > buy, I of course never would buy anything from that company again.
    >
    > There ought to be some kind of consumer protection laws out there that
    > would reimburse me for the time it took me to install an item that was
    > defective & had to be replaced. If the store is going to charge me $45 to
    > install a power supply, then my time should be worth at least half of
    > that. & what about traveling & gas & wear & tear on my car? & esp3cially
    > what about the mental aguish I felt when I thought I had fried my computer
    > and maybe everything in it?
    >
    > ...D.
    I have been running my Winfast 6600GT PCIe with an Athlon 3500+, A8N-SLI
    and an Antec Sonata TruePower 380 for the last few days and it is both
    quiet and fast.

    One question though. It was benchmarked at NCIX with 3DMark 2003 and it
    scored 7973. Anyone know what that score means since I am not familiar
    with benchmark scores?

    Ron
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "Rockin Ronnie" <joiner@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in
    > One question though. It was benchmarked at NCIX with 3DMark 2003 and it
    > scored 7973. Anyone know what that score means since I am not familiar
    > with benchmark scores?
    http://www.futuremark.com/download/?3dmark03.shtml
    You run the benchmark (free version) and get your score. You can take it
    online to compare with otherrs.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    A month ago I asked a question to this group regarding the
    best value GeForce card and was told it'd be 6600GT (NV43).
    Since then I've been waiting for a good price of this card
    until I came across this thread and realized that power
    supply could be a problem for me. My machine is a Dell
    Dimension 4500 (P4 2.4GHz with 512MB memory). According to
    Dell web site, the power supply is 250W. Is 6600GT too
    much of a stretch for me? How about 5900XT (NV35)?
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    <kilo_effects@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >A month ago I asked a question to this group regarding the
    > best value GeForce card and was told it'd be 6600GT (NV43).
    > Since then I've been waiting for a good price of this card
    > until I came across this thread and realized that power
    > supply could be a problem for me. My machine is a Dell
    > Dimension 4500 (P4 2.4GHz with 512MB memory). According to
    > Dell web site, the power supply is 250W. Is 6600GT too
    > much of a stretch for me? How about 5900XT (NV35)?

    When you take the case off, can you see the ratings on the side of the power
    supply? What are the amps for 12v, 5v, and 3.3v, and does it say what the
    amps are for 5 + 3.3v?

    For instance, a _good_ 300w might be
    3.3v = 28a
    5v = 30a
    12v = 15a

    whereas a cheap one might be
    3.3v = 20a
    5v = 25a
    12v = 12a

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Ed, Thanks. Guess I am out of luck. The numbers are

    3.3v = 18a
    5v = 22a
    12v = 14a

    Would 5900XT work?

    Ed Light wrote:
    > <kilo_effects@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >A month ago I asked a question to this group regarding the
    > > best value GeForce card and was told it'd be 6600GT (NV43).
    > > Since then I've been waiting for a good price of this card
    > > until I came across this thread and realized that power
    > > supply could be a problem for me. My machine is a Dell
    > > Dimension 4500 (P4 2.4GHz with 512MB memory). According to
    > > Dell web site, the power supply is 250W. Is 6600GT too
    > > much of a stretch for me? How about 5900XT (NV35)?
    > >

    > When you take the case off, can you see the ratings on the side of
    the power
    > supply? What are the amps for 12v, 5v, and 3.3v, and does it say what
    the
    > amps are for 5 + 3.3v?
    >
    > For instance, a _good_ 300w might be
    > 3.3v = 28a
    > 5v = 30a
    > 12v = 15a
    >
    > whereas a cheap one might be
    > 3.3v = 20a
    > 5v = 25a
    > 12v = 12a
    >
    > --
    > Ed Light
    >
    > Smiley :-/
    > MS Smiley :-\
    >
    > Send spam to the FTC at
    > uce@ftc.gov
    > Thanks, robots.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > Ed, Thanks. Guess I am out of luck. The numbers are
    >
    > 3.3v = 18a
    > 5v = 22a
    > 12v = 14a
    >
    > Would 5900XT work?

    Here's the article with the power consumption:

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-vs-nv-power.html

    So, using the calculator:

    http://takaman.jp/D/?english

    You could figure it out, except they don't list that card. :-(

    Maybe someone else knows.
    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Thank you both very much! I tried the calculator. My machine
    would seem to work, though barely. Also, according to this guy

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati/msg/350b2d73aa943a72

    5900XT would work (his system is similar to mine).

    So, I am going to give 6600GT a try. If newegg won't take it
    back, I just sell it on eBay.

    PRIVATE1964 wrote:

    > >Ed, Thanks. Guess I am out of luck. The numbers are
    > >
    > >3.3v = 18a
    > >5v = 22a
    > >12v = 14a
    > >
    > >Would 5900XT work?
    >
    > I'm sorry to jump in here, but if you don't have enough for a 6600GT
    your
    > certainly won't have enough for a 5900XT as far as I know.
    > The power requirement is actually lower for the 6600GT then most of
    the other
    > fast video cards such as 5900, 6800, 9800Pro etc....etc. I'm going by
    some
    > reviews I have read for the 6600GT which mentioned a power
    requirement of 300
    > watts. Most of the other cards are around 350 watts.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    <kilo_effects@yahoo.com> wrote

    > So, I am going to give 6600GT a try. If newegg won't take it
    > back, I just sell it on eBay.

    Or get a better power supply for $40+.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    The problem with Dell's power supply, from what I read, is that it's
    proprietary. Standard ATX won't work. I have to order from Dell.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    >For instance, a _good_ 300w might be
    >3.3v = 28a
    >5v = 30a
    >12v = 15a
    >
    >whereas a cheap one might be
    >3.3v = 20a
    >5v = 25a
    >12v = 12a

    What is your opinion on an Antec 330 TruePower running a 6600GT? I think it
    will be all right I'm just looking for another opinion. Sooner ot later the
    6600GT is my next card.

    330 True Rails

    +3.3 = 28
    +5v = 30
    +12v = 22

    -------------------------------
    System Specs

    2500+ Barton on an Abit NF7-S
    512 Megs 3200

    2 Hard Drives - (7200rpm) & (5400rpm)

    1 52X CD-RW
    1CDROM 32X

    Geforce 4 - 4200 128 Megs

    Running 8 cooling fans, not counting the 2 PS fans.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    The 6600GT pci-e pulls almost all it's current from the 12v, and that would
    have plenty.
    On my similar system, if the agp bridge pulled alot from the 5v I'd be right
    at or past the limit.

    Here are the sites to use to figure it out:

    http://takaman.jp/D/?english

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce6600gt-oc_3.html

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/misc/picture/?src=/images/video/geforce6600gt-oc/6600gt_power_table-b.gif&1=1

    I'm waiting for xbit to measure an agp 6600GT.

    I've got an Antec SL300, 2200+ amd mobile as a 2800+, 2 512 pc2700, 2 7200
    hd's, sound blaster live value, slow speed fans.

    I know I'll be ok if the agp doesn't add alot to the 5v.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.

    "PRIVATE1964" <private1964@aol.com> wrote in message
    > >For instance, a _good_ 300w might be
    >>3.3v = 28a
    >>5v = 30a
    >>12v = 15a
    >>
    >>whereas a cheap one might be
    >>3.3v = 20a
    >>5v = 25a
    >>12v = 12a
    >
    > What is your opinion on an Antec 330 TruePower running a 6600GT? I think
    > it
    > will be all right I'm just looking for another opinion. Sooner ot later
    > the
    > 6600GT is my next card.
    >
    > 330 True Rails
    >
    > +3.3 = 28
    > +5v = 30
    > +12v = 22
    >
    > -------------------------------
    > System Specs
    >
    > 2500+ Barton on an Abit NF7-S
    > 512 Megs 3200
    >
    > 2 Hard Drives - (7200rpm) & (5400rpm)
    >
    > 1 52X CD-RW
    > 1CDROM 32X
    >
    > Geforce 4 - 4200 128 Megs
    >
    > Running 8 cooling fans, not counting the 2 PS fans.

  29. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > The problem with Dell's power supply, from what I read, is that it's
    > proprietary. Standard ATX won't work. I have to order from Dell.
    I hope it's not like my friend's NEC was back when. I told her not to rub
    that chip but -- she wrecked the motherboard. To replace it with an NEC
    would have been hundreds! So she got everything but the motherboard put in a
    new barebones, with a new case with psu and motherboard, for about $120.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    >Ed, Thanks. Guess I am out of luck. The numbers are
    >
    >3.3v = 18a
    >5v = 22a
    >12v = 14a
    >
    >Would 5900XT work?

    I'm sorry to jump in here, but if you don't have enough for a 6600GT your
    certainly won't have enough for a 5900XT as far as I know.
    The power requirement is actually lower for the 6600GT then most of the other
    fast video cards such as 5900, 6800, 9800Pro etc....etc. I'm going by some
    reviews I have read for the 6600GT which mentioned a power requirement of 300
    watts. Most of the other cards are around 350 watts.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    >The 6600GT pci-e pulls almost all it's current from the 12v, and that would
    >have plenty.
    >On my similar system, if the agp bridge pulled alot from the 5v I'd be right
    >at or past the limit.
    >
    >Here are the sites to use to figure it out:
    >
    >http://takaman.jp/D/?english
    >
    >http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce6600gt-oc_3.html
    >

    >http://www.xbitlabs.com/misc/picture/?src=/images/video/geforce6600gt-oc/
    6600gt_power_table-b.gif&1=1

    >I'm waiting for xbit to measure an agp 6600GT.
    >
    >I've got an Antec SL300, 2200+ amd mobile as a 2800+, 2 512 pc2700, 2 7200
    >hd's, sound blaster live value, slow speed fans.
    >
    >I know I'll be ok if the agp doesn't add alot to the 5v.

    What rail does the AGP version of the 6600GT pull from the most +12 or +5, It
    must also pull some current from the +3.3 right? Thanks.
  32. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "PRIVATE1964" <private1964@aol.com> wrote
    > What rail does the AGP version of the 6600GT pull from the most +12 or +5,
    > It
    > must also pull some current from the +3.3 right? Thanks.
    xbitlabs hasn't tested one yet. For the pci-e they found it was mostly on
    the 12v, a little bit of 5v, and no 3.3v at all.
    I'm waiting to see when they'll test one.
    Though I'm beginning to gravitate toward the February agp 6600 (non-gt) as
    the pci-e ones overclock well, some fantastically.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  33. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    >Thank you both very much! I tried the calculator. My machine
    >would seem to work, though barely. Also, according to this guy
    >

    >http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati/msg/3
    50b2d73aa943a72

    >5900XT would work (his system is similar to mine).
    >
    >So, I am going to give 6600GT a try. If newegg won't take it
    >back, I just sell it on eBay.

    Your using a Dell right? Worst case you could just get a Dell replacement
    supply they can be little bit more expensive then a normal ATX supply though.
    I think your taking a chance with either card with that low of a supply, but
    Good Luck anyway I hope it works out for you.
  34. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    PRIVATE1964 wrote:
    > >> The problem with Dell's power supply, from what I read, is that
    it's
    > >> proprietary. Standard ATX won't work. I have to order from Dell.
    >
    > Didn't I post that already, maybe it was another thread.
    >
    > There is a website that sells Dell compatible supplies, I don't
    remember the
    > name of the website anymore though. You could try Google. I'm sure
    something
    > will come up.

    pcpowercooling.com ?

    It sells a "Turbo-Cool 425 Dell Deluxe" (for Dell Dimension 4500)
    for $149. :^(
  35. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    >> The problem with Dell's power supply, from what I read, is that it's
    >> proprietary. Standard ATX won't work. I have to order from Dell.

    Didn't I post that already, maybe it was another thread.

    There is a website that sells Dell compatible supplies, I don't remember the
    name of the website anymore though. You could try Google. I'm sure something
    will come up.
  36. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    >For the pci-e they found it was mostly on
    >the 12v, a little bit of 5v, and no 3.3v at all.
    >I'm waiting to see when they'll test one.
    >Though I'm beginning to gravitate toward the February agp 6600 (non-gt) as
    >the pci-e ones overclock well, some fantastically.

    Good info Thanks.
  37. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    >I have to order from Dell.

    There are other places that sell Dell compatible supplies.
  38. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/selector/dell.htm

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at
    uce@ftc.gov
    Thanks, robots.
  39. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    PRIVATE1964 wrote:
    > >pcpowercooling.com ?
    > >
    > >It sells a "Turbo-Cool 425 Dell Deluxe" (for Dell Dimension 4500)
    > >for $149. :^(
    >
    > Yes, I think that is the website I was thinking of...Thanks.
    >
    > I wonder why no one has invented an adapter for the Dell motherboards
    so you
    > can use any ATX supply. Isn't the only difference the pin placement?

    Thanks, pal. Someone actually is selling a Dell power supply converter
    for $13.95.

    http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/dellconverter.html

    Don't know if it works with standard ATX. I'll try it if 6600GT
    doesn't work on my machine.
  40. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    >pcpowercooling.com ?
    >
    >It sells a "Turbo-Cool 425 Dell Deluxe" (for Dell Dimension 4500)
    >for $149. :^(

    Yes, I think that is the website I was thinking of...Thanks.

    I wonder why no one has invented an adapter for the Dell motherboards so you
    can use any ATX supply. Isn't the only difference the pin placement?
  41. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    On 28 Dec 2004 22:03:59 GMT, private1964@aol.com (PRIVATE1964) wrote:

    >>pcpowercooling.com ?
    >>
    >>It sells a "Turbo-Cool 425 Dell Deluxe" (for Dell Dimension 4500)
    >>for $149. :^(
    >
    >Yes, I think that is the website I was thinking of...Thanks.
    >
    >I wonder why no one has invented an adapter for the Dell motherboards so you
    >can use any ATX supply. Isn't the only difference the pin placement?

    It's possible (I haven't researched it) that Dell has a patent on the
    connector configuration.

    --
    Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
  42. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    >It's possible (I haven't researched it) that Dell has a patent on the
    >connector configuration.

    I was thinking that if it was my Dell, I would measure all the voltages and get
    a pin out for the connector. Then cut the connector off and solder it back on
    to a female ATX connector the proper way it should be and that would be an
    adapter.
  43. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    >http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/selector/dell.htm

    Sure are expensive, it must be the gold plated Molex connectors.
  44. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    >Thanks, pal. Someone actually is selling a Dell power supply converter
    >for $13.95.
    >
    >http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/dellconverter.html
    >
    >Don't know if it works with standard ATX. I'll try it if 6600GT
    >doesn't work on my machine.

    Welcome,
    That's exactly what I was thinking of. I didn't know someone was actually
    selling them though. I would make sure it will work with all standard ATX
    supplies before buying it. They make it sound like it will only work with their
    supply, and then you would be right back to square one again.
  45. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    PRIVATE1964 wrote:

    >> Thanks, pal. Someone actually is selling a Dell power supply
    >> converter for $13.95.
    >>
    >> http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/dellconverter.html
    >>
    >> Don't know if it works with standard ATX. I'll try it if 6600GT
    >> doesn't work on my machine.
    >>

    > Welcome,
    > That's exactly what I was thinking of. I didn't know someone was
    > actually selling them though. I would make sure it will work with all
    > standard ATX supplies before buying it. They make it sound like it
    > will only work with their supply, and then you would be right back to
    > square one again.

    Well, it says:

    "This Dell to ATX adapter converts between the non-standard pinout to the
    standard ATX pinout and turns a standard ATX power supply into the
    equivalent of a Dell power supply.",

    so I'd assume it'll work with any standard PSU.

    --
    dvus
  46. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    dvus:
    > "This Dell to ATX adapter converts between the non-standard pinout to
    > the standard ATX pinout and turns a standard ATX power supply into
    > the equivalent of a Dell power supply.",
    >
    > so I'd assume it'll work with any standard PSU.

    Some Dell power supplies are physically backwards from ATX supplies,
    meaning ATX won't fit into a Dell case. Supposeably they stopped this 2-3
    years ago, my Dell is 3 years old (4550) and the power supply is
    backwards.
    --
    Mac Cool
  47. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Mac Cool wrote:
    > dvus:

    >> "This Dell to ATX adapter converts between the non-standard pinout to
    >> the standard ATX pinout and turns a standard ATX power supply into
    >> the equivalent of a Dell power supply.",
    >>
    >> so I'd assume it'll work with any standard PSU.
    >
    > Some Dell power supplies are physically backwards from ATX supplies,
    > meaning ATX won't fit into a Dell case. Supposeably they stopped this
    > 2-3 years ago, my Dell is 3 years old (4550) and the power supply is
    > backwards.

    What do you mean by "backwards"? The line voltage must plug into the "back"
    and the output is at the end of power cables. I suppose it could be that the
    mounting holes and 120VAC input on a standard PSU don't coincide with those
    in the Dell case, but surely that could be remedied.

    --
    dvus
  48. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    I think he means that, if you buy a generic PSU with two fans, the intake
    fan would face sheetmetal rather than the CPU/motherboard. The PSU may
    overheat without any air intake.

    "dvus" <dven1invalid@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > What do you mean by "backwards"? The line voltage must plug into the
    "back"
    > and the output is at the end of power cables. I suppose it could be that
    the
    > mounting holes and 120VAC input on a standard PSU don't coincide with
    those
    > in the Dell case, but surely that could be remedied.
    >
    > --
    > dvus

  49. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    >I think he means that, if you buy a generic PSU with two fans, the intake
    > fan would face sheetmetal rather than the CPU/motherboard. The PSU may
    > overheat without any air intake.

    Some do have openings on the back(front?) inside, so if you covered the
    bottom fanit would then work -- but you could just get a 1-fan psu with the
    fan on the back. Those 2-fan units with an opening on the back/front inside
    can blow hot air out it back into the pc and cook the CD unit if the bottom
    fan is working.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/