Help! iPAQ 5450 Soo...ooo Sloo...ooow

April 13, 2004 10:21:11 PM

It's so bad that the auto scroll function in my Mobipocket Reader almost
grinds to a halt, as do the cascading letter tiles in Bookworm.

I have tried defragging my flash card and removing and re-installing
Mobi Reader in main memory but the slow, jerky scrolling action persists.

However, combined storage and program free memory rarely falls below 28
MB and my iPAQ thrashes all of the author's benchmark tests when running
Pocket Hackmaster.

I have the latest version of Pocket PC plus all relevant updates and so
I am absolutely flummoxed. Will someone kindly suggest a solution - it's
driving me nuts!

Jack
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 10:21:12 PM

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:21:11 +0000, iPAQer <ipaqer@dontgotmail.com> wrote:

> It's so bad that the auto scroll function in my Mobipocket Reader almost
> grinds to a halt, as do the cascading letter tiles in Bookworm.
>
> I have tried defragging my flash card and removing and re-installing
> Mobi Reader in main memory but the slow, jerky scrolling action persists.
>
> However, combined storage and program free memory rarely falls below 28
> MB and my iPAQ thrashes all of the author's benchmark tests when running
> Pocket Hackmaster.
>
> I have the latest version of Pocket PC plus all relevant updates and so
> I am absolutely flummoxed. Will someone kindly suggest a solution - it's
> driving me nuts!
>
> Jack

Jack,

Are your mobi-books slow if you keep them in main memory with the flash
card out of your ipaq?

If they run just fine, and you definately suspect the card, here's what I
would do. I'd backup the contents of the SD card to my desktop hard drive
(then I'd check all of the files to make sure they copied properly because
sometimes in situations like this they won't) Copy them all over and then
use a card reader to format that card.

Then I'd try adding a book back to the flash card. Is it jerky? If not,
you can slowly add programs back one at a time, testing in between each
install to make sure it isn't just one app throwing a wrench into the
works.

Hope this helps,
Brad

--