Selctive internet access blocking?

Last response: in Networking
September 23, 2005 4:48:24 PM

Hi,

I am a newbie. I have a network of 20 computers that are connected to
the internet. I need the users to be able to access only certain sites
for the most part of the day but they should be able to go to any site
doing lunch between 12:00pm and 1:00pm. And at the same time one
computer should have access to the internet at all times. I am looking
for a hardware/software solution preferable free and easy to install
and manage.

Putting a proxy server under internet options or specifying the content
the webbrowser can show will not work. Users can change the setting
because they have admin access on the machine.

Please help.
Thanks.
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 5:18:20 PM

Could you recommend a proxy server? I am not sure will I have to change
the configuration manually or will it just kick in? Can I configure it
wrt to a computes IP address? I am sorry for being so naive.

Thanks.
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 5:43:38 PM

Can i just install linux on a box with Squid or will i need iptables
and masquerading?
September 23, 2005 6:01:00 PM

would fedor core 2 work? and how do i setup my other machines?
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 6:13:14 PM

i am sorry but can you explain in more detail please.

Present setup

internet ----> hub ----> Comp1 .... to .... comp 20
Access

and what i understnd you are suggesting is

internet ----> hub ----> Linux Box + Comp1 .... to .... comp 20

Access with squid (with proxy
settings set to the linux box)

Tahnks,
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 2:00:44 AM

xixi2244@yahoo.com wrote:
> I am a newbie. I have a network of 20 computers that are connected to
> the internet. I need the users to be able to access only certain sites
> for the most part of the day but they should be able to go to any site
> doing lunch between 12:00pm and 1:00pm. And at the same time one
> computer should have access to the internet at all times. I am looking
> for a hardware/software solution preferable free and easy to install
> and manage.
> Putting a proxy server under internet options or specifying the content
> the webbrowser can show will not work. Users can change the setting
> because they have admin access on the machine.

It will work, for example if you're using a transparent proxy, and
changing it's configuration at different times.

What sites do you think of you'll allow?

Yours,
VB.
deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 2:21:14 AM

xixi2244@yahoo.com wrote:
> Could you recommend a proxy server? I am not sure will I have to change
> the configuration manually or will it just kick in? Can I configure it
> wrt to a computes IP address? I am sorry for being so naive.

I have good experiences with Squid. But perhaps you better should
mandate someone, who's not a newbe.

Yours,
VB.
deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 2:47:52 AM

xixi2244@yahoo.com wrote:
> Can i just install linux on a box with Squid or will i need iptables
> and masquerading?

?

You need an OS, which can implement transparent proxiing with Squid.
That includes GNU/Linux and FreeBSD.

Yours,
VB.
deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 11:12:23 AM

xixi2244@yahoo.com wrote:
> would fedor core 2 work?

Yes, it should.

> and how do i setup my other machines?

"No proxy" setup.

Yours,
VB.
deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 11:13:31 AM

xixi2244@yahoo.com wrote:
> and what i understnd you are suggesting is
> internet ----> hub ----> Linux Box + Comp1 .... to .... comp 20

The Linux box has to bridge or to route.

Yours,
VB.
deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 12:37:17 PM

Is there something cheaper i could use.
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 3:28:59 AM

xixi2244@yahoo.com wrote:
> Is there something cheaper i could use.

The Linux box I mentioned?

Yours,
VB.
deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"
June 8, 2006 7:37:09 PM

A lot of routers allow you to set rules to control access, with schedules.
!