VisionTek GF2 MX400 Problem

I have a old VisionTek GeForce 256 card on my P3-650 system. It works great
except that the drone of the cooling fan (which apparently can't be
removed/replaced) drives me crazy. I decided to take a VisionTek GeForce
MX400-64 out of my P4-2.8 system to replace the 256 card and then purchase a
newer card for the P-4 system,

With the MX400 in the P-3 system everything works fine for about 20-30
minutes and then the system freezes up with whatever I'm working on. On the
other hand, if I leave the system idle for about the same time period, I
return to a black screen and a locked up system.

I have tried everything I can think of to solve the problem. The card is
the only device on IRQ 10, all power management stuff turned off. Both
systems are running Win98SE. I have tried new drivers and old drivers to no
avail. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry Reynolds
Houston, TX

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 15:06:16 -0600, "Larry Reynolds" <libra@pdq.net>
wrote:

>I have a old VisionTek GeForce 256 card on my P3-650 system. It works great
>except that the drone of the cooling fan (which apparently can't be
>removed/replaced) drives me crazy. I decided to take a VisionTek GeForce
>MX400-64 out of my P4-2.8 system to replace the 256 card and then purchase a
>newer card for the P-4 system,
>
>With the MX400 in the P-3 system everything works fine for about 20-30
>minutes and then the system freezes up with whatever I'm working on. On the
>other hand, if I leave the system idle for about the same time period, I
>return to a black screen and a locked up system.
>
>I have tried everything I can think of to solve the problem. The card is
>the only device on IRQ 10, all power management stuff turned off. Both
>systems are running Win98SE. I have tried new drivers and old drivers to no
>avail. Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Larry Reynolds
>Houston, TX

Did you uninstall the drivers for the video card before
switching over to the GF2 MX? Even though Nvidia's drivers are unified
drivers, you must uninstall the drivers, and then reinstall them after
changing the card out. If you don't, there are registry settings that
will cause problems with the new card.

In BIOS:

Disable fast writes and sideband addressing, if you haven't done so already.

Set AGP to 2x, and the aperture to 64 MB.

Toggle between UC and USWC.

Disable anything that refers to "BIOS cacheable" or "ROM shadowing".

Set "PnP Aware OS" to "no" to let the BIOS manage the resources.

You can also turn off AGP altogether in BIOS, though performance will suffer
a bit.