looking at Nvidia cards

SL

Hello group,

I am an Ati owner and am looking at some of the better nvidia cards. It
appears the 6800 line is their top crop right now. However, trying to
discerne the differences is boggling. Not that Ati doesnt have their messed
up order of cards as well.

But out of the latest model line, which is the best order. Im looking at a
max spending range of 300$.

I currently have two cards, a 9500 pro and a 9800 pro. I have an nvidia
5200 as a backup as well. But we both know the 5200 has had its day...much
like my 9500 is getting near.

thanks all,
SL

"SL" <pillott@yahoo.com> wrote in message

" But out of the latest model line, which is the best order. Im looking at
a max spending range of 300$. "

From what I gather, the best-to-worst are as follows :

6800 Ultra
6800 GT
6800
6600 GT
6800 LE
6600 XL

"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> "SL" <pillott@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> From what I gather, the best-to-worst are as follows :

> 6800 Ultra
> 6800 GT
> 6800
> 6600 GT
> 6800 LE
> 6600 XL
> 6600
> 6200

Right, add.:

6800 Ultra
6800 GT
6800 LE ( if ur lucky and able to open to 16/6. Impressing 10300 3Dmarks03
here.. )
6800

Are these AGP ones ?
6600 GT
6600 XL

G.

"N´far" <rudiFJERNkols@mail.dk> wrote in

>> From what I gather, the best-to-worst are as follows :
>
>> 6800 Ultra
>> 6800 GT
These come in two flavours, the 128MB using DDR and 256MB using DDR3.
Asus's v9999 128MB 6800GT is of the former, and is really a higher clocked
6800, while Leadteks A400 256MB 6800GT is of the later and provides real
perfomace gains over the 6800.

"SL" <pillott@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello group,
>
> I am an Ati owner and am looking at some of the better nvidia cards.
> It appears the 6800 line is their top crop right now. However,
> trying to discerne the differences is boggling. Not that Ati doesnt
> have their messed up order of cards as well.
>

> But out of the latest model line, which is the best order. Im
> looking at a max spending range of 300$.
>
> I currently have two cards, a 9500 pro and a 9800 pro. I have an
> nvidia 5200 as a backup as well. But we both know the 5200 has had
> its day...much like my 9500 is getting near.
>

> thanks all,
> SL

This is what I bought a week ago, it's running fine too. No problems
with it running 67.02 drivers, XP Pro. It loves HL2 in maxed settings
:)
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/eVGA-GeForce--6800-Video-Card--128-A8-N343-DX-/sem/rpsm/oid/113639/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

They have a ten dollar rebate now they didn't have last week....grrrr.
McG.
Merry Christmas!

If you want to get an nVidia card, which is a Great choice by the way, and your max spending limit is $300 then you'll want to get a 6800 (no suffix). Great card!

If you can handle spending an extra $100, the 6800 GT is a leap in power. The GT/Ultra gives you faster clock speeds, 16-pixel pipelines opposed to 12 and double the memory from 128MB to 256MB. And the GT is usually easily overclockable to speeds faster than the top-of-the-line 6800 Ultra card (an Ultra card costs $500).

Sometimes you can also get a free game bundle to help offset the price of the card. For example, I got an eVGA 6800 GT and it came with DOOM 3. The GT card should also save you money in the long run because you'll be able to go longer without having to upgrade your card again.

So the extra $100 will be getting you...
1. Faster GPU and Memory.
2. 4 Extra Pipes (16 Total).
3. Double the Memory to 256MB.
4. DOOM 3 Bundle.
5. Longer Life.

Don't get me wrong, the 6800 is a Great card, all I'm saying is an extra $100 gets you allot, and in my opinion is the most Bang for the Buck.

"John Eckart" <JEckart@mail.com> wrote in message
> If you want to get an nVidia card, which is a Great choice by the
> way, and your max spending limit is $300 then you'll want to get a
> 6800 (no suffix). Great card!
>
> If you can handle spending an extra $100, the 6800 GT is a leap in
> power. The GT/Ultra gives you faster clock speeds, 16-pixel pipelines
> opposed to 12 and double the memory from 128MB to 256MB. And the GT
> is usually easily overclockable to speeds faster than the
> top-of-the-line 6800 Ultra card (an Ultra card costs $500).

Yep, after January, I'll be getting a 6800 GT. It's what I wanted in
the first place, but finding one was tricky. BUT, I've found where I
can get either of the 3. I don't have to wait in a queue and it's a
regular retail package.
McG.

Psi-Tau Paladin wrote:
> "N´far" <rudiFJERNkols@mail.dk> wrote in
>
>>> From what I gather, the best-to-worst are as follows :
>>
>>> 6800 Ultra
>>> 6800 GT
> These come in two flavours, the 128MB using DDR and 256MB using DDR3.
> Asus's v9999 128MB 6800GT is of the former, and is really a higher

You can get the V9999 in a 256 MB flavor using DDR3. I know, I have one.

--
dvus