5200 Settings Help

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

After installing a GeForce 5200 Graphics card on my pc, i have been
having trouble with it. It will only let me set my color settings to
8bit at 1078 x 768 resolution, and it took me a while to even let me
set it at 1078 x 768. I have my monitor plugged into my old graphics
port (My old card is integrated Dell Extreme Graphics), since if i plug
it into the 5200 the monitor displays an "Out Of Range" error. Any
Ideas?

Some of my pc settings:
Dell Dimension DIM2350
Windows XP Home Ed. SP 1
1.8 GHz
768 MB Ram

Nero

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2003

refresh rate too high for the monitor to handle.
I have a GeForce 5700LE and it does the same thing...............
drop the refresh rate to 72hz.
It is the monitor and not that card that the problem is with.

Just out of curiosity have you tried disabling your integrated graphics
chip? I am not sure from your message if you have a separate Dell graphics
card or an integrated graphics chip.
--
<Bill>

Brought to you from beautiful Unalaska/Dutch Harbor, Alaska.
N 53° 51.140' W 166° 30.228' (WGS 84)

5200 wrote:
> After installing a GeForce 5200 Graphics card on my pc, i have been
> having trouble with it. It will only let me set my color settings to
> 8bit at 1078 x 768 resolution, and it took me a while to even let me
> set it at 1078 x 768. I have my monitor plugged into my old graphics
> port (My old card is integrated Dell Extreme Graphics), since if i
> plug it into the 5200 the monitor displays an "Out Of Range" error.
> Any Ideas?
>
> Some of my pc settings:
> Dell Dimension DIM2350
> Windows XP Home Ed. SP 1
> 1.8 GHz
> 768 MB Ram

Nero

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2003

An out of range message is generated by the monitor and not the card.
Reason being that the card is putting out a refresh rate higher than than
the max that the monitor can handle.
Lower the refresh rate to 60Hz and it will flicker.
There is no setting for changing refresh rates on monitors at all.
It is always done on the card.
In Windows XP you need to go to display properties ,settings, Color quality
or whatever it is called and select at least 72Hz, 800x600.
That should let you set it.
If not then you need to install the drivers for that card from the install
cd.
Also you need to disable(in Bios)the built in graphics.