Video card upgrade?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I have Dell with a pentium 4 2 gig, with 400 front side bus. 768 RD memory.
350 watt PSU. Right now I have a geo2 mx card and want to upgrade. What is
the farthest I can go without over doing it. I dont want to upgrade anything
but a video card. I'm looking at the 6600GT and if the price drops a X800.
If my current computer can handle it i will buy a 6800gt or a X850, I just
want to make a smart buy.

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

John Smith wrote:
> I have Dell with a pentium 4 2 gig, with 400 front side bus. 768 RD
> memory. 350 watt PSU. Right now I have a geo2 mx card and want to
> upgrade. What is the farthest I can go without over doing it. I dont
> want to upgrade anything but a video card. I'm looking at the 6600GT
> and if the price drops a X800. If my current computer can handle it i
> will buy a 6800gt or a X850, I just want to make a smart buy.

If I were you, I'd stick with a 9800Pro or something. The P4 2.0 is still
okay, but it will quickly be the limiting factor in your system.

Thomas

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

6600GT would be good to have, and last into the future.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

>I'm looking at the 6600GT and if the price drops a X800.

I would go with the 6600GT, because of the power supply. I read the power
requirements were less then for cards like the 6800. If your supply does not
work with the other cards. It will need to be replaced. Dell uses proprietary
supplies, so you could not use just any old ATX supply. You would need a Dell
replacement and they cost more.