Upgrade from XP Home to Professional on eMachines

I have an eMachines 2862 that comes with a Windows XP Home. Instead of a
regular operating system backup disk, it ships with a restore disk that
wipes the hard drive clean and restores the PC to its shipping day status.

My wife was able to purchase XP Professional at the university she works
at, which I hoped to install and then use as an OS backup disk.
However,it comes with warnings to reformat your hard drive and do a
clean install, rather than use it for an upgrade of an existing
installation. Should I heed their warnings, or are they being overly
cautious? Thanks,

John Hale
4 answers Last reply
More about upgrade home professional emachines

    John Hale wrote:

    > I have an eMachines 2862 that comes with a Windows XP Home. Instead of a
    > regular operating system backup disk, it ships with a restore disk that
    > wipes the hard drive clean and restores the PC to its shipping day status.
    >
    > My wife was able to purchase XP Professional at the university she works
    > at, which I hoped to install and then use as an OS backup disk.
    > However,it comes with warnings to reformat your hard drive and do a
    > clean install, rather than use it for an upgrade of an existing
    > installation. Should I heed their warnings, or are they being overly
    > cautious? Thanks,
    >
    > John Hale

    Give it a try, you can always do the clean install later if it doesn't
    work out.

    Blip

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 09:55:52 GMT, John Hale
    <nospamjshale3301@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >I have an eMachines 2862 that comes with a Windows XP Home. Instead of a
    >regular operating system backup disk, it ships with a restore disk that
    >wipes the hard drive clean and restores the PC to its shipping day status.
    >
    >My wife was able to purchase XP Professional at the university she works
    >at, which I hoped to install and then use as an OS backup disk.
    >However,it comes with warnings to reformat your hard drive and do a
    >clean install, rather than use it for an upgrade of an existing
    >installation. Should I heed their warnings, or are they being overly
    >cautious? Thanks,
    >
    >John Hale

    Do the clean install.

    ----------------

    "Jim, you think he's with Jesus now? We only have 30 seconds." - Larry King to "Passion" star Jim Caviezel, on the Pope.

    That's probably because with most OEM and some Academic versions, you can
    only do a clean install, since (esp. for OEM's) it's intended for a "virgin"
    drive anyway.

    Either way, I think you'll be happier in the long run doing the clean
    install in any case.

    --
    "Hurricane" Andrew
    Milford, Delaware

    John Hale wrote:
    > I have an eMachines 2862 that comes with a Windows XP Home. Instead of a
    > regular operating system backup disk, it ships with a restore disk that
    > wipes the hard drive clean and restores the PC to its shipping day status.
    >
    > My wife was able to purchase XP Professional at the university she works
    > at, which I hoped to install and then use as an OS backup disk.
    > However,it comes with warnings to reformat your hard drive and do a
    > clean install, rather than use it for an upgrade of an existing
    > installation. Should I heed their warnings, or are they being overly
    > cautious? Thanks,
    >
    > John Hale
    Thanks for everyone's input, looks like I will be needing an evening for
    some back up and a clean install.

    John Hale

Gateway Hard Drives eMachines Windows XP Computers