Proof that people on ebay are stupid

This is not an auction, it's a Buy It Now listing with a fixed asking price.
People are not bidding up to that price. The fact that the listing is still
there, 2.5 days into a 3-day listing period, means there are no takers. :)

However, there are tons of regular auctions on eBay like this. I never buy
state-of-the-art PC hardware on eBay because the prices are high and there's
little recourse if the item breaks.

"anthony" <aevansjr3@cox.net> wrote in message

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40161&item=5150718574&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

> going for 300 bucks almost WTF the cards in stock on at least a dozen
> websites and people are bidding 300 bucks on it when it retails for 80
bucks
> less then that? geez!
>
> Anthony

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

I refuse to use ebay for state of the art. Now I use it to lately to buy
older parts casue I plan on building some old systems for web browsing and
simple stuff but for anything made in 2004 nah.. retail prices are great.

Anthony

> This is not an auction, it's a Buy It Now listing with a fixed asking
> price.
> People are not bidding up to that price. The fact that the listing is
> still
> there, 2.5 days into a 3-day listing period, means there are no takers.
> :)
>
> However, there are tons of regular auctions on eBay like this. I never buy
> state-of-the-art PC hardware on eBay because the prices are high and
> there's
> little recourse if the item breaks.

> "anthony" <aevansjr3@cox.net> wrote in message
>>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40161&item=5150718574&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
>>
>> going for 300 bucks almost WTF the cards in stock on at least a dozen
>> websites and people are bidding 300 bucks on it when it retails for 80
> bucks
>> less then that? geez!
>>
>> Anthony

>going for 300 bucks almost WTF the cards in stock on at least a dozen
>websites and people are bidding 300 bucks on it when it retails for 80 bucks
>less then that? geez!
>
>Anthony

I know I don't understand them. I did see it for $350 US though in another eBay
listing.

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

350? dang I remember one time bidding on a zip drive back when they were
worth about maybe 140 or so. after it hit the 100 mark I gaave up on it and
in 2 day it was over 250 dollars. I guess some people will do anything to
win

"PRIVATE1964" <private1964@aol.com> wrote in message
> >going for 300 bucks almost WTF the cards in stock on at least a dozen
>>websites and people are bidding 300 bucks on it when it retails for 80
>>bucks
>>less then that? geez!
>>
>>Anthony
>>

> I know I don't understand them. I did see it for $350 US though in another
> eBay
> listing.

>350? dang I remember one time bidding on a zip drive back when they were
>worth about maybe 140 or so. after it hit the 100 mark I gaave up on it and
>in 2 day it was over 250 dollars. I guess some people will do anything to
>win

I have been caught by the eBay bug a few times for a couple of pieces of
hardware. I just use Ebay now to get an idea of how much hardware is selling if
it is used.
When it's all over you usually end up paying more and waiting longer then if
you had just purchased at an honest website to begin with.

Heh, guys this is what feedback is for. Are you even going to consider
forking out, say, $450 to someone over Ebay if their feedback is like -20...
no, you arent. Its common sense.
If youve got someone there with +200 positive feedbacks and absolutely no
negatives then its obvious theyre the real deal. I got a 6800 OC from a guy
(bought 2 from him actually) and the second one had a memory problem, so i
told him and he simply replaced it. Had 150 positives, no negatives and
delivers express. If interested, name was srpage. If not, check your
paranoia ;)

> This is not an auction, it's a Buy It Now listing with a fixed asking
price.
> People are not bidding up to that price. The fact that the listing is
still
> there, 2.5 days into a 3-day listing period, means there are no takers.
:)

> However, there are tons of regular auctions on eBay like this. I never buy
> state-of-the-art PC hardware on eBay because the prices are high and
there's
> little recourse if the item breaks.

> "anthony" <aevansjr3@cox.net> wrote in message

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40161&item=5150718574&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

> > going for 300 bucks almost WTF the cards in stock on at least a dozen
> > websites and people are bidding 300 bucks on it when it retails for 80
> bucks
> > less then that? geez!
> >
> > Anthony

I sold my broken ATI 9600XT (last time i buy ATI) on ebay and got 50 Euros
for it, now why on earth someone would pay so much for a paperweight? Beyond
me. On the otherhand i have bought numerous articles for prices that were
far less in the shops. I have also had no problems with 2 articles i have
bought which were nonfunctional.I cannot speak for the American Ebay, but
here in Germany it is, i fond, very good value for money. The comment about
looking at the positive feedbacks is true, i personally dont buy anything
from anyone with less than 500.

> 350? dang I remember one time bidding on a zip drive back when they
> were worth about maybe 140 or so. after it hit the 100 mark I gaave
> up on it and in 2 day it was over 250 dollars. I guess some people
> will do anything to win

Yep, so true. There comes a point when prices or bidding reaches my own
limit and I have either bought, won or dropped that one, and forgotten
it :) No biggie. :)
McG.

>> 350? dang I remember one time bidding on a zip drive back when they
>> were worth about maybe 140 or so. after it hit the 100 mark I gaave
>> up on it and in 2 day it was over 250 dollars. I guess some people
>> will do anything to win
>
> I have been caught by the eBay bug a few times for a couple of pieces
> of hardware. I just use Ebay now to get an idea of how much hardware
> is selling if it is used.
> When it's all over you usually end up paying more and waiting longer
> then if you had just purchased at an honest website to begin with.

There are a lot of things I will buy on EBay, but 'critical' hardware is
not one of them. It's just too important to me to have quality service
immediately for one thing. And a walk in retailer is right around the
corner no matter which direction I look :)
McG.

twat?

Get it, it sounds like what...lol?

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"anthony" <aevansjr3@cox.net> wrote in message
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40161&item=5150718574&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
>
> going for 300 bucks almost WTF the cards in stock on at least a dozen
> websites and people are bidding 300 bucks on it when it retails for 80
> bucks less then that? geez!

I had a couple of 4 year old used Maxtor 20gig drives I sold a few months
back. Both sold for close to $50 each. Both buyers actually paid too. You
can get new 40gig drives for less than this on sale, complete with warranty.
I recently sold a 3 year old Duron 1.0Ghz for $40. Go figure.