6800 LE or 6600 GT

Bit of a dillema.
My budget limits me to £160 mark, and I want to go for a 6 series Nvidia
(AGP).
Mainly a gaming machine, with video encoding also high priority.
Any one got any real world examples of the above two card specifications?
They work out about the same money give or take a few quid.
Thanks for your imput
Helinut

This may not be significant, but my 6600 GT AGP was burned out after only
one week. Cause unknown. People in the biz tell me this sort of product is
so rushed these days that it takes half a year for the customers to weed out
the problems of cards burning out, starting on fire, etc.

"Helinut" <helinut@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Bit of a dillema.
> My budget limits me to £160 mark, and I want to go for a 6 series Nvidia
> (AGP).
> Mainly a gaming machine, with video encoding also high priority.
> Any one got any real world examples of the above two card specifications?
> They work out about the same money give or take a few quid.
> Thanks for your imput
> Helinut

Helinut got up from the bar and shouted: :
> Bit of a dillema.
> My budget limits me to £160 mark, and I want to go for a 6 series Nvidia
> (AGP).
> Mainly a gaming machine, with video encoding also high priority.
> Any one got any real world examples of the above two card specifications?
> They work out about the same money give or take a few quid.
> Thanks for your imput
> Helinut

6600GT is £99 @ PCWorld in their newyear sale...

Sam

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 18:50:56 +0000, BlackShuck
<mark.gillespie@gmail.com> wrote:

>Helinut got up from the bar and shouted: :
>> Bit of a dillema.
>> My budget limits me to £160 mark, and I want to go for a 6 series Nvidia
>> (AGP).
>> Mainly a gaming machine, with video encoding also high priority.
>> Any one got any real world examples of the above two card specifications?
>> They work out about the same money give or take a few quid.
>> Thanks for your imput
>> Helinut
>>

>6600GT is £99 @ PCWorld in their newyear sale...

I got one today for £99.99, it's a BFGTech 6600GT OC AGP with dual
DVI, nice upgrade from a Gainward ti4200 GS. ;-)

Sam got up from the bar and shouted: :
> On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 18:50:56 +0000, BlackShuck
> <mark.gillespie@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Helinut got up from the bar and shouted: :
>>
>>>Bit of a dillema.
>>>My budget limits me to £160 mark, and I want to go for a 6 series Nvidia
>>>(AGP).
>>>Mainly a gaming machine, with video encoding also high priority.
>>>Any one got any real world examples of the above two card specifications?
>>>They work out about the same money give or take a few quid.
>>>Thanks for your imput
>>>Helinut
>>>

>>6600GT is £99 @ PCWorld in their newyear sale...
>

> I got one today for £99.99, it's a BFGTech 6600GT OC AGP with dual
> DVI, nice upgrade from a Gainward ti4200 GS. ;-)

My mate phoned me and asked if it was a good buy, I said yes, he bought
one. Unfortuantly, he is getting what sounds like tearing when playing
games. (have not seen it, only a verbal description). Known problem?
I got him to install the latest NVidia drivers, and reset his BIOS/AGP
settings. No joy. He is about to install coolbits2 and underclock it,
see if it improves.. Could be a duff card...

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

Have him turn on vsync.

DaveL

"BlackShuck" <mark.gillespie@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Sam got up from the bar and shouted: :
> > On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 18:50:56 +0000, BlackShuck
> > <mark.gillespie@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Helinut got up from the bar and shouted: :

Nvidia

> >>6600GT is £99 @ PCWorld in their newyear sale...
> >

> > I got one today for £99.99, it's a BFGTech 6600GT OC AGP with dual
> > DVI, nice upgrade from a Gainward ti4200 GS. ;-)
>
> My mate phoned me and asked if it was a good buy, I said yes, he bought
> one. Unfortuantly, he is getting what sounds like tearing when playing
> games. (have not seen it, only a verbal description). Known problem?
> I got him to install the latest NVidia drivers, and reset his BIOS/AGP
> settings. No joy. He is about to install coolbits2 and underclock it,
> see if it improves.. Could be a duff card...

Sam

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 22:44:46 +0000, BlackShuck
<mark.gillespie@gmail.com> wrote:

>Sam got up from the bar and shouted: :
>> On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 18:50:56 +0000, BlackShuck
>> <mark.gillespie@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Helinut got up from the bar and shouted: :

>>>6600GT is £99 @ PCWorld in their newyear sale...
>>

>> I got one today for £99.99, it's a BFGTech 6600GT OC AGP with dual
>> DVI, nice upgrade from a Gainward ti4200 GS. ;-)
>
>My mate phoned me and asked if it was a good buy, I said yes, he bought
>one. Unfortuantly, he is getting what sounds like tearing when playing
>games. (have not seen it, only a verbal description). Known problem?
>I got him to install the latest NVidia drivers, and reset his BIOS/AGP
>settings. No joy. He is about to install coolbits2 and underclock it,
>see if it improves.. Could be a duff card...

I've had no issues with mine, if it were me I'd check that the PSU is
up to the job first and make sure that nothing else is sharing the
cable attached to the card, and also check the in game temps, mine
runs around 71 degrees centigrade.