pci-e v agp

Hi all, I am looking to upgrade my system due to poor performance in the
latest games, mainly doom3 hl2 and cod UO.
I am undecided as to which path to take.I am either going to replace my
gf4200ti 128mb 4xagp with a 6600gt agp or get a new mobo with pci-e support,
6600 pci-e and probably then get the new amd socket for the amd 64 and
therefore a new processor to allow future upgrades,
obviously the former will be the cheapest and easiest option but I am
concerned about spending £150+ on an AGP card only to find that in a years
time pci-e taking over.Then if I want to get a new mobo I will need a new
pci-e card!
So what I am basically trying to say is, is it worth buying an AGP card now
and is there a real advantage to a pci-e card?

Thanks
Jo

If your looking for PCI-E video support with AMD,you will have to get one of
the new Nforce 4 mobo's. There are some versions that
dont have SLI support and run about $150,Gigabyte,Chaintech,are out now and MSI
and ASUS will be available very soon. AGP will be just as good as the PCI
boards,and AGP will be around for a while yet. Some of the equivelant PCI video
cards are a little bit cheaper than the AGP version,but both perform about
equal.

"joanne grint" <joanne.grint@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, I am looking to upgrade my system due to poor performance in the
> latest games, mainly doom3 hl2 and cod UO.
> I am undecided as to which path to take.I am either going to replace my
> gf4200ti 128mb 4xagp with a 6600gt agp or get a new mobo with pci-e
> support,
> 6600 pci-e and probably then get the new amd socket for the amd 64 and
> therefore a new processor to allow future upgrades,
> obviously the former will be the cheapest and easiest option but I am
> concerned about spending £150+ on an AGP card only to find that in a years
> time pci-e taking over.Then if I want to get a new mobo I will need a new
> pci-e card!
> So what I am basically trying to say is, is it worth buying an AGP card
> now
> and is there a real advantage to a pci-e card?
>
> Thanks
> Jo

Theres is no advantage in performance now. In a years time things may be
different. But there is no advantage in having a fast graphics card if you
can't keep it fed with data, so buying the latest card for you current
motherboard may not improve things much.

The latest must have "value" card is the Nvidia 6600gt, and the PCI-e
version is around £100, about £50 cheaper than the AGP version.

So what you save in going PCI-e for the graphics card would help pay for a
new AMD64 and motherboard.

Even then things are changing as top endusers are looking to use 2 pci-e SLI
graphics cards in more expensive PCI-e SLI motherboards.

> The latest must have "value" card is the Nvidia 6600gt, and the PCI-e
> version is around £100, about £50 cheaper than the AGP version.
>
> So what you save in going PCI-e for the graphics card would help pay
> for a new AMD64 and motherboard.

Help, maybe. But it won't be a trivial amount of money to replace the
mobo, CPU, RAM and graphics card.

To the OP:
If your system is running everything but games the way you like, then I'd
consider the AGP card upgrade. Just remember that the next system you
build will be PCIe and the graphics card you get today will not work with
it.

"tq96" <tq96@tq96.tq96> wrote in message
>> The latest must have "value" card is the Nvidia 6600gt, and the PCI-e
>> version is around £100, about £50 cheaper than the AGP version.
>>
>> So what you save in going PCI-e for the graphics card would help pay
>> for a new AMD64 and motherboard.
>
> Help, maybe. But it won't be a trivial amount of money to replace the
> mobo, CPU, RAM and graphics card.
>
> To the OP:
> If your system is running everything but games the way you like, then I'd
> consider the AGP card upgrade. Just remember that the next system you
> build will be PCIe and the graphics card you get today will not work with
> it.

I would still recommend the 6600gt AGP if the OP decides on that upgrade.
They overclock almost to 6800 levels and even with the AGP "premium" they
are still good value, perhaps a little cheaper in the Jan sales!

BillL

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004

"John Russell" <john_e_russell@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "tq96" <tq96@tq96.tq96> wrote in message
>>> The latest must have "value" card is the Nvidia 6600gt, and the PCI-e
>>> version is around £100, about £50 cheaper than the AGP version.
>>>
>>> So what you save in going PCI-e for the graphics card would help pay
>>> for a new AMD64 and motherboard.
>>
>> Help, maybe. But it won't be a trivial amount of money to replace the
>> mobo, CPU, RAM and graphics card.
>>
>> To the OP:
>> If your system is running everything but games the way you like, then I'd
>> consider the AGP card upgrade. Just remember that the next system you
>> build will be PCIe and the graphics card you get today will not work with
>> it.
>
> I would still recommend the 6600gt AGP if the OP decides on that upgrade.
> They overclock almost to 6800 levels and even with the AGP "premium" they
> are still good value, perhaps a little cheaper in the Jan sales!

But what CPU is the OP pairing the AGP 6600 GT with?

"tq96" <tq96@tq96.tq96> wrote in message
>> The latest must have "value" card is the Nvidia 6600gt, and the PCI-e
>> version is around £100, about £50 cheaper than the AGP version.
>>
>> So what you save in going PCI-e for the graphics card would help pay
>> for a new AMD64 and motherboard.
>
> Help, maybe. But it won't be a trivial amount of money to replace the
> mobo, CPU, RAM and graphics card.
>
> To the OP:
> If your system is running everything but games the way you like, then I'd
> consider the AGP card upgrade. Just remember that the next system you
> build will be PCIe and the graphics card you get today will not work with
> it.

You perhaps underestimate the importance of a CPU in 3d performance. For
example I wouldn't bother with a 6800GT if I only had say a Athlon Xp 2800+,
it would certainly be a bottleneck.

>> If your system is running everything but games the way you like, then
>> I'd consider the AGP card upgrade. Just remember that the next
>> system you build will be PCIe and the graphics card you get today
>> will not work with it.
>
> You perhaps underestimate the importance of a CPU in 3d performance.
> For example I wouldn't bother with a 6800GT if I only had say a Athlon
> Xp 2800+, it would certainly be a bottleneck.

I probably wouldn't pair a 6800GT with an XP2800+ either, but the fact is
that no one has put together any hard data on exactly what CPUs constitute
a waste of what GPUs. There is just a general feeling that one needs a
fast CPU for a fast GPU.

If the OP's system runs every piece of software that he has, except for
games, to his satisfaction, then his CPU should be enough to realize gains
from the 6600GT that he was considering. They say that a 6600GT is
comparable in performance to a 9800pro, so CPUs common around the time the
9800pro was released should work nicely with it.

That upgrade will help carry him over into the future when PCIe is more
mature and established and he'll avoid being an early adopter of the
technology.

>>> If your system is running everything but games the way you like, then
>>> I'd consider the AGP card upgrade. Just remember that the next
>>> system you build will be PCIe and the graphics card you get today
>>> will not work with it.
>>
>> You perhaps underestimate the importance of a CPU in 3d performance.
>> For example I wouldn't bother with a 6800GT if I only had say a Athlon
>> Xp 2800+, it would certainly be a bottleneck.
>
> I probably wouldn't pair a 6800GT with an XP2800+ either, but the fact is
> that no one has put together any hard data on exactly what CPUs constitute
> a waste of what GPUs. There is just a general feeling that one needs a
> fast CPU for a fast GPU.
>
> If the OP's system runs every piece of software that he has, except for
> games, to his satisfaction, then his CPU should be enough to realize gains
> from the 6600GT that he was considering. They say that a 6600GT is
> comparable in performance to a 9800pro, so CPUs common around the time the
> 9800pro was released should work nicely with it.
>
> That upgrade will help carry him over into the future when PCIe is more
> mature and established and he'll avoid being an early adopter of the
> technology.

I know and I agree, I just mean he should not bother thinking about
upgradiblity in the future because by then he will certainly need a new CPU.

"Nicholas Buenk" <morn@tpg.com.au> wrote in message

> "tq96" <tq96@tq96.tq96> wrote in message
>>> The latest must have "value" card is the Nvidia 6600gt, and the PCI-e
>>> version is around £100, about £50 cheaper than the AGP version.
>>>
>>> So what you save in going PCI-e for the graphics card would help pay
>>> for a new AMD64 and motherboard.
>>
>> Help, maybe. But it won't be a trivial amount of money to replace the
>> mobo, CPU, RAM and graphics card.
>>
>> To the OP:
>> If your system is running everything but games the way you like, then I'd
>> consider the AGP card upgrade. Just remember that the next system you
>> build will be PCIe and the graphics card you get today will not work with
>> it.
>
> You perhaps underestimate the importance of a CPU in 3d performance. For
> example I wouldn't bother with a 6800GT if I only had say a Athlon Xp
> 2800+, it would certainly be a bottleneck.

Matching the card to the CPU is problamtic. In the past you could suggest
getting the best AGP card you could afford as when you upgrade to a better
motherboard/cpu it would still use that card. Users are now at a watershed
with PCI-e. So yes, despite the "value" of the gt6600 it's a waste.
Something like a radeon 9600gt would be cheaper and better matched.