"Must Have" Software for PPC

April 13, 2004 4:20:27 PM

What are the "Must Have" apps that don't come with Dell or Compaq PPCs?

The most important app to me is a Password Safe. What is the best one for PPC?

More about : software ppc

Anonymous
April 13, 2004 4:30:19 PM

Spb Pocket Plus,
Resco Explorer 2003

Are two, off the top of my head..

~S.

bk4646@hotmail.com (wjk) wrote in

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

You can see my picks here
http://www.purepockets.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=...

"wjk" <bk4646@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What are the "Must Have" apps that don't come with Dell or Compaq PPCs?
>
> The most important app to me is a Password Safe. What is the best one for
PPC?
April 14, 2004 1:07:44 AM

wjk wrote:
> What are the "Must Have" apps that don't come with Dell or Compaq
> PPCs?
>
> The most important app to me is a Password Safe. What is the best
> one for PPC?

Wisbar Advance, it's a task manager and more importantly it's free! It's
the first thing I install after a hard reset.

--
Darren Griffin
Pocket GPS World - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com

> Wisbar Advance, it's a task manager and more importantly it's free! It's
> the first thing I install after a hard reset.

I've have my ipaq for 3 days and have just installed Wisbar. A definate
essential. Shame it doesn't show notifications but I can live without that
for everything else it does.

Thanks for the recomendation!

Some of the other apps I've found useful are:
Resco File Explorer
HP Mobile printing (network printing)
Jeode (java support for Pocket IE)
SMS Manager (texting and dialing via bluetooth phone)
TDLaunch (Launch apps from icons on today, like XP quick launch bar)
MultiIE (multiple instances of Pocket IE)

I'm off to try the demo of Pocket Informant, I've heard that's what I want
to be using....
Anonymous
April 14, 2004 6:19:45 AM

I assume you're looking for an application to store your
passwords? The best ones I know are CodeWallet from
http://www.developerone.com and eWallet from
http://www.iliumsoft.com.

eWallet used to come bundled in a CD with older iPAQs. I'm
not sure about the latest units...

Anonymous
April 14, 2004 12:49:28 PM

> What are the "Must Have" apps that don't come with Dell or Compaq PPCs?
>
> The most important app to me is a Password Safe. What is the best one for PPC?

I'd have to agree with Ewallet as a password keeper. Very nice.
Also, here is a small list of stuff I couldn't live without on my PPC:

- Ewallet as mentioned above

- Wisbar ( task manager, free )

- Pocket MVP ( Music / Movie player, supports DiVX, free )

- Resco File Explorer ( not free but amazing, too many features to
list )

- Pocket Informant ( replaces the usual contact / calendar / task
list, very nice )

- Acrobat Reader ( free )

There is more but these are all I can think of. Also for security
reasons I store all sensitive documents and files in main memory and
password lock my IPAQ so if it ever gets stolen, a hard reset must be
done and all my sensitive data will be lost. I don't store anything
important on filestore / memory cards.

- Rocque
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 12:36:29 AM

wjk wrote:
> What are the "Must Have" apps that don't come with Dell or Compaq PPCs?

BananaPC (a task manager, with a small UI and a volume control, free)
Eval (a scientific calculator, one of the few that says 1+2*3=7, free)
RegEdit (free)
CoPilot Live (GPS turn-by-turn directions including speech synthesis)
Sherlock (deduction puzzle)
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 11:16:36 AM

bk4646@hotmail.com (wjk) wrote in message news:<70f034a4.0404131120.65af78@posting.google.com>...
> What are the "Must Have" apps that don't come with Dell or Compaq PPCs?
>
> The most important app to me is a Password Safe. What is the best one for PPC?

And of course, Microsoft Transcriber
April 16, 2004 1:17:49 AM

"wjk" <bk4646@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What are the "Must Have" apps that don't come with Dell or Compaq PPCs?

uBook ebook reader from www.gowerpoint.com (free)

If you have the Dell it comes with a very usable task bar Settings ->
System -> Switch Bar
if you have the Compaq you will want to get one of the add on ones like
wisbar.

Resco Explorer

If you're listinening to audio books you will want CEPlaylist it lets you
copy over play lists from your PC and resort them. Generating playlists on
you PPC is a real bitch.
!