D3D problem 6600GT AGP

Hello All, I'm having a problem running Medal of Honor Pacific Assault
and I think I have traced it down to a Direct3D situation. When I try
and run the game it immediately kicks me back to the desktop, after it
tries to load and I get the "video settings" screen. This game ran fine
when I had my FX5700 in the machine. I ran dxdiag and when I try to do
the D3D tests I get a response that I have cancelled the test with a
keystroke, when I have done no such thing. Bottom line is trying to find
out what is causing this to happen. All the other MOH and COD titles run
fine.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Jim

Asus K8v SE Deluxe- Athlon64-3200 No Overclock
1024 M DDR400 RAM
Two SATA, One PATA Drives (SATA is Boot)
DVD ROM, DVD Recorder
Usual Network, modem, etc.

"Shorecat600" <shorecat600@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello All, I'm having a problem running Medal of Honor Pacific Assault
> and I think I have traced it down to a Direct3D situation. When I try
> and run the game it immediately kicks me back to the desktop, after it
> tries to load and I get the "video settings" screen. This game ran fine
> when I had my FX5700 in the machine. I ran dxdiag and when I try to do
> the D3D tests I get a response that I have cancelled the test with a
> keystroke, when I have done no such thing. Bottom line is trying to find
> out what is causing this to happen. All the other MOH and COD titles run
> fine.
> Any thoughts appreciated.
> Jim
>
> Asus K8v SE Deluxe- Athlon64-3200 No Overclock
> 1024 M DDR400 RAM
> Two SATA, One PATA Drives (SATA is Boot)
> DVD ROM, DVD Recorder
> Usual Network, modem, etc.

It is the smartgart/motherboard drivers, usually a reinstall will fix it.
Sometimes the dx reinstall fixes the problem, but I find reinstalling the
mobo drivers works best for me.

Hmmmmmm.

I'm gonna take a guess here.

You have no trouble running all the other MOH and COD titles, but have trouble
running the D3D test in DXDIAG. I would think because the MOHPA is newer it is
stressing a part of the card that the other games do not, which the D3D test is
also stressing which is causing problems. You are using DirectX 9.0c correct?

I would try running 3Dmark 2003 and 2005 to see what happens. Those benchmarks
will stress a DirectX 9 card. Maybe there are no DirectX 9 features in the
older games.

You are using DirectX 9.0c correct? Try re-installing DirectX also.
What kind of power supply are you using and the wattage?
Have you tried any other newer games such as Doom3, Half-Life 2 etc?
Have you tried the latest Nvidia drivers? Try Reinstalling drivers also.

Which version of nvidia drivers are you using?

If you haven't tried it already, download the BETA 71.20 version from
here:

I was having graphics problems in a few games with my 6600GT until I
used these drivers!

John David Carter wrote:
> "Shorecat600" <shorecat600@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hello All, I'm having a problem running Medal of Honor Pacific
Assault
> > and I think I have traced it down to a Direct3D situation. When I
try
> > and run the game it immediately kicks me back to the desktop, after
it
> > tries to load and I get the "video settings" screen. This game ran
fine
> > when I had my FX5700 in the machine. I ran dxdiag and when I try to
do
> > the D3D tests I get a response that I have cancelled the test with
> > keystroke, when I have done no such thing. Bottom line is trying to
find
> > out what is causing this to happen. All the other MOH and COD
titles run
> > fine.
> > Any thoughts appreciated.
> > Jim
> >
> > Asus K8v SE Deluxe- Athlon64-3200 No Overclock
> > 1024 M DDR400 RAM
> > Two SATA, One PATA Drives (SATA is Boot)
> > DVD ROM, DVD Recorder
> > Usual Network, modem, etc.
>
> It is the smartgart/motherboard drivers, usually a reinstall will fix
it.
> Sometimes the dx reinstall fixes the problem, but I find reinstalling
the
> mobo drivers works best for me.

Thanks to all who have written. I should note I have a 600w power supply
and I'm running the 71.20 drivers. I reloaded the GART driver and the
game worked the first time, but when I went back to it the same problem
occurred. This has also happened on a driver change where the game would
work and then stop working on subsequent tries.
I am not sure how to reload DX9.0c
Jim

In article <1104324579.688499.91920@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
Adrian.Harper@wlv.ac.uk says...

> Thanks to all who have written. I should note I have a 600w power supply
> and I'm running the 71.20 drivers. I reloaded the GART driver and the
> game worked the first time, but when I went back to it the same problem
> occurred. This has also happened on a driver change where the game would
> work and then stop working on subsequent tries.
> I am not sure how to reload DX9.0c
> Jim

You have to download the redist ( i.e. full install ) of DX9.0c from
somewhere in order to do a quick reinstall, or the web installer. Another
possibility is that your AGP is unstable due to greater current demands, so
you could try upping the volts in the bios...

You can also try disabling AGP fast writes in bios ( I might try this first,
as it is notorious ) or any other bios AGP speed tweaks - depending on your
mobo, or even lowering the AGP speed to 4x...

On 29 Dec 2004 04:49:39 -0800, Adrian.Harper@wlv.ac.uk wrote:

>Which version of nvidia drivers are you using?
>
>If you haven't tried it already, download the BETA 71.20 version from
>here:
>
>http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=931
>
>I was having graphics problems in a few games with my 6600GT until I
>used these drivers!

I tried them for a while but was getting crashes back to cold boot
(WinXP/SP2) with the Windows critical error dialog pointing to the
NVidia driver. Went back to 67.03 and haven't had any problems.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

John David Carter Wrote:
> "Shorecat600" shorecat600@yahoo.com wrote in message
>
> Thanks to all who have written. I should note I have a 600w power
> supply
> and I'm running the 71.20 drivers. I reloaded the GART driver and the
> game worked the first time, but when I went back to it the same
> problem
> occurred. This has also happened on a driver change where the game
> would
> work and then stop working on subsequent tries.
> I am not sure how to reload DX9.0c
> Jim-
>
> You have to download the redist ( i.e. full install ) of DX9.0c from
> somewhere in order to do a quick reinstall, or the web installer.
> Another
> possibility is that your AGP is unstable due to greater current
> demands, so
> you could try upping the volts in the bios...
>
> You can also try disabling AGP fast writes in bios ( I might try this
> first,
> as it is notorious ) or any other bios AGP speed tweaks - depending on
> your
> mobo, or even lowering the AGP speed to 4x...

or you could try setting noexecute=alwaysoff in the boot.ini file if
you have XP SP2 installed - worked for me

--
Tigrian