Help choose a Mid-priced Card

Drax

I am having a new PC build and need advice on the choice of Card. I
see lots of cards for under $100 and many cards over $400 but, I want
to spend between $200-$300. The GeForce 6600 GT, ATI Radeon X700 XT
and X700 PRO all look good.

But, I still have questions like does the X700 PRO's 256mb really make
a big difference since 6600 GT and X700 XT are both 128mb.

What about noise I read the X700 PRO uses a huge fan and makes a lot
of noise? Is GeForce 6600 GT a lot more quiet?

Both X700 PRO and X700 XT are about $200 each. The X700 PRO has 256mb
but, the reviews I read say its slower than the X700 XT; why?

Core Clock Pixel pipes clock MHz Memory
Radeon X700 Pro 420 8 864 256MB
Radeon X700 XT 475 8 1050 128MB

Overall which is the better card GeForce 6600 GT, X700 XT or X700 PRO?

Thanks

Drax wrote:
> I am having a new PC build and need advice on the choice of Card. I
> see lots of cards for under $100 and many cards over $400 but, I want
> to spend between $200-$300. The GeForce 6600 GT, ATI Radeon X700 XT
> and X700 PRO all look good.
>
> But, I still have questions like does the X700 PRO's 256mb really make
> a big difference since 6600 GT and X700 XT are both 128mb.
>
> What about noise I read the X700 PRO uses a huge fan and makes a lot
> of noise? Is GeForce 6600 GT a lot more quiet?
>
> Both X700 PRO and X700 XT are about $200 each. The X700 PRO has 256mb
> but, the reviews I read say its slower than the X700 XT; why?
>
> Core Clock Pixel pipes clock MHz Memory
> Radeon X700 Pro 420 8 864 256MB
> Radeon X700 XT 475 8 1050 128MB
>

> Overall which is the better card GeForce 6600 GT, X700 XT or X700 PRO?
>
> Thanks

I went through the same process and chose the 6600GT PCIe for a couple
of reasons 1) it is very fast for a 128meg card but has DDR3 memmory and
2) I can use it in SLI mode on my Asus A8N-SLI. Cannot do SLI with ATI
cards - yet!

Ron

Drax

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:48:31 GMT, Ron Joiner <joiner@ns.sympatico.ca>
wrote:

>Drax wrote:
>> I am having a new PC build and need advice on the choice of Card. I
>> see lots of cards for under $100 and many cards over $400 but, I want
>> to spend between $200-$300. The GeForce 6600 GT, ATI Radeon X700 XT
>> and X700 PRO all look good.
>>
>> But, I still have questions like does the X700 PRO's 256mb really make
>> a big difference since 6600 GT and X700 XT are both 128mb.
>>
>> What about noise I read the X700 PRO uses a huge fan and makes a lot
>> of noise? Is GeForce 6600 GT a lot more quiet?
>>
>> Both X700 PRO and X700 XT are about $200 each. The X700 PRO has 256mb
>> but, the reviews I read say its slower than the X700 XT; why?
>>
>> Core Clock Pixel pipes clock MHz Memory
>> Radeon X700 Pro 420 8 864 256MB
>> Radeon X700 XT 475 8 1050 128MB
>>

>> Overall which is the better card GeForce 6600 GT, X700 XT or X700 PRO?
>>
>> Thanks
>
>I went through the same process and chose the 6600GT PCIe for a couple
>of reasons 1) it is very fast for a 128meg card but has DDR3 memmory and
>2) I can use it in SLI mode on my Asus A8N-SLI. Cannot do SLI with ATI
>cards - yet!
>
>Ron

I read GeForce 6600 GT - PCI Express has Heat problems, does yours
overheat?

Drax wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:48:31 GMT, Ron Joiner <joiner@ns.sympatico.ca>
> wrote:
>

>>Drax wrote:
>>
>>>I am having a new PC build and need advice on the choice of Card. I
>>>see lots of cards for under $100 and many cards over $400 but, I want
>>>to spend between $200-$300. The GeForce 6600 GT, ATI Radeon X700 XT
>>>and X700 PRO all look good.
>>>
>>>But, I still have questions like does the X700 PRO's 256mb really make
>>>a big difference since 6600 GT and X700 XT are both 128mb.
>>>
>>>What about noise I read the X700 PRO uses a huge fan and makes a lot
>>>of noise? Is GeForce 6600 GT a lot more quiet?
>>>
>>>Both X700 PRO and X700 XT are about $200 each. The X700 PRO has 256mb
>>>but, the reviews I read say its slower than the X700 XT; why?
>>>
>>> Core Clock Pixel pipes clock MHz Memory
>>>Radeon X700 Pro 420 8 864 256MB
>>>Radeon X700 XT 475 8 1050 128MB
>>>

>>>Overall which is the better card GeForce 6600 GT, X700 XT or X700 PRO?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>
>>I went through the same process and chose the 6600GT PCIe for a couple
>>of reasons 1) it is very fast for a 128meg card but has DDR3 memmory and
>>2) I can use it in SLI mode on my Asus A8N-SLI. Cannot do SLI with ATI
>>cards - yet!
>>
>>Ron
>

> I read GeForce 6600 GT - PCI Express has Heat problems, does yours
> overheat?

No. Curious, where did you read that? Mine has been running full tilt
(Doom3 etc.) for about a week now with no probs. Can you provide a link?
Are you confusing it with the AGP version?

Ron

Ron Joiner:

> Are you confusing it with the AGP version?

Does the AGP version have heat problems? Good to know because I've been
considering it.
--
Mac Cool

Drax:

>>Does the AGP version have heat problems?

> Both
>
> PCI
> http://www.nvnews.net/previews/geforce_6600_gt/index.shtml

The heat issues in the nvnews article refer to the cpu, not the gpu.

> AGP
> http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Njg5

The word 'heat' doesn't even appear in the hardocp article.

You should probably read the articles before posting a link.
Here is a link that describes the heat problems:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2295&p=19
--
Mac Cool

Drax

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 14:16:23 GMT, Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote:

>Drax:
>
>>>Does the AGP version have heat problems?
>
>> Both
>>
>> PCI
>> http://www.nvnews.net/previews/geforce_6600_gt/index.shtml
>
>The heat issues in the nvnews article refer to the cpu, not the gpu.
>
>> AGP
>> http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Njg5
>
>The word 'heat' doesn't even appear in the hardocp article.
>
>You should probably read the articles before posting a link.

Try reading the page before you comment it clearly uses the word heat
many times.

The NVIDIA power supply recommendation for the GeForce 6600GT AGP
version is a minimum 300 watt power supply. As you can see, it does
have an external Molex connector that is needed to supply enough power
to this video card since the AGP bus cannot provide as much power as
the PCI-Express bus slot can.

You can see how they have repositioned the heatsink fan unit to
accommodate space for the HSI bridge chip which requires its own
heatsink. Under full load the HSI heatsink became very hot to the
touch.

Read it for yourself

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Njg5

[edited for brevity]

Drax:

>>> Both
>>> AGP
>>> http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Njg5
>>
>>The word 'heat' doesn't even appear in the hardocp article.
>>You should probably read the articles before posting a link.
>
> Try reading the page before you comment it clearly uses the word heat
> many times.

I was just providing feedback, not trying to be an ass, there is no need
to be defensive. The word 'heat' never appears in the hardocp article
you link to. You saying it does, doesn't make it true. I read it and I
searched it, and the word does not appear. Open the print version, hit
F3 in Firefox or CTL F in IE and search for the word. Neither article
you linked to addresses 6600 heat issues. I realize you were trying to
be helpful but apparently you linked to the wrong articles or never read
them to begin with.

> You can see how they have repositioned the heatsink fan unit to
> accommodate space for the HSI bridge chip which requires its own
> heatsink. Under full load the HSI heatsink became very hot to the
> touch.
>
> Read it for yourself

A heatsink being hot to the touch is not exactly definitive on heat
issues.

You snipped this out of my reply, but read the following comprehensive
piece to see an article that is very informative and related to the
topic:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2295&p=19

Peace out.
--
Mac Cool

Drax

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 01:48:04 GMT, Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote:

>[edited for brevity]
>
>Drax:

>>>The word 'heat' doesn't even appear in the hardocp article.
>>>You should probably read the articles before posting a link.
>>
>> Try reading the page before you comment it clearly uses the word heat
>> many times.
>
>I was just providing feedback, not trying to be an ass, there is no need
>to be defensive. The word 'heat' never appears in the hardocp article
>you link to. You saying it does, doesn't make it true. I read it and I
>searched it, and the word does not appear. Open the print version, hit
>F3 in Firefox or CTL F in IE and search for the word. Neither article
>you linked to addresses 6600 heat issues. I realize you were trying to
>be helpful but apparently you linked to the wrong articles or never read
>them to begin with.

Yes it does the quote I gave is from the page and it has the word heat
in it. Scroll down past the middle of the page look for "The GeForce
6600GT AGP" right below that is the quote I posted.

>> You can see how they have repositioned the heatsink fan unit to
>> accommodate space for the HSI bridge chip which requires its own
>> heatsink. Under full load the HSI heatsink became very hot to the
>> touch.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Njg5

Drax:
>>The word 'heat' never appears in the hardocp
>>article you link to. You saying it does, doesn't make it true.
>
> Yes it does

plonk for being either an idiot or a troll
--
Mac Cool