Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

[XP SP2 - GeForce2 GTS - 66.93 driver] Why OpenGL does not..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 4:41:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Hi everybody,


Here are my system features :

OS: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 version 2600 (Windows XP)
CPU: x86 Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 4 AuthenticAMD ~1399 MHz
RAM: 256 Mo
MB: MSI KT266 PRO (MS-6380)
GA: Leadtek Winfast GeForce2 GTS 64 Mo


In the basic XP/SP2 configuration, I had no graphic problems, all the XP
OpenGL-based screen-savers are working fine.


I installed the last nVidia 66.93 driver and then OpenGL XP screen-savers
stopped working :

+ "3D Objects" only gives a black screen.
+ "Flying Objects" displays in Black and White.
+ "3D Text" displays in Black and White.

but

+ "3D Pipes" is working fine !


I decided to uninstall the 66.93 driver and install the older 44.03 nVidia
driver instead ... and it works !


I think there is something wrong with the new 66.93 nVidia driver.
December 29, 2004 4:41:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

The moral is "if it works, don't fix it".

DaveL


"For Fun" <my.name@mail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns95CE958FD1CA3myemailnomailcom@212.27.42.68...
> Hi everybody,
>
>
> Here are my system features :
>
> OS: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 version 2600 (Windows XP)
> CPU: x86 Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 4 AuthenticAMD ~1399 MHz
> RAM: 256 Mo
> MB: MSI KT266 PRO (MS-6380)
> GA: Leadtek Winfast GeForce2 GTS 64 Mo
>
>
> In the basic XP/SP2 configuration, I had no graphic problems, all the XP
> OpenGL-based screen-savers are working fine.
>
>
> I installed the last nVidia 66.93 driver and then OpenGL XP screen-savers
> stopped working :
>
> + "3D Objects" only gives a black screen.
> + "Flying Objects" displays in Black and White.
> + "3D Text" displays in Black and White.
>
> but
>
> + "3D Pipes" is working fine !
>
>
> I decided to uninstall the 66.93 driver and install the older 44.03 nVidia
> driver instead ... and it works !
>
>
> I think there is something wrong with the new 66.93 nVidia driver.
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 6:31:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

And you would be correct. However, if the 66.93 drivers give you better
performance/compatibility in GAMES, it's time to weigh your options.

Screensavers only load when you AREN'T using the computer. Is there a need
for pretty graphics.

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
It can therefore be said that politics is war without
bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."


"For Fun" <my.name@mail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns95CE958FD1CA3myemailnomailcom@212.27.42.68...
> Hi everybody,
>
>
> Here are my system features :
>
> OS: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 version 2600 (Windows XP)
> CPU: x86 Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 4 AuthenticAMD ~1399 MHz
> RAM: 256 Mo
> MB: MSI KT266 PRO (MS-6380)
> GA: Leadtek Winfast GeForce2 GTS 64 Mo
>
>
> In the basic XP/SP2 configuration, I had no graphic problems, all the XP
> OpenGL-based screen-savers are working fine.
>
>
> I installed the last nVidia 66.93 driver and then OpenGL XP screen-savers
> stopped working :
>
> + "3D Objects" only gives a black screen.
> + "Flying Objects" displays in Black and White.
> + "3D Text" displays in Black and White.
>
> but
>
> + "3D Pipes" is working fine !
>
>
> I decided to uninstall the 66.93 driver and install the older 44.03 nVidia
> driver instead ... and it works !
>
>
> I think there is something wrong with the new 66.93 nVidia driver.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 10:13:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:a7idnff2GLyTiU7cRVn-1g@rogers.com:

> Screensavers only load when you AREN'T using the computer. Is there a
> need for pretty graphics.


I don't share your point of view.

If screen-savers don't work correctly, this is because of a deeper problem.
Even if I am not interested in having pretty screen-savers, I am pretty
sure that there is a problem with the OpenGL management.

Anyway, if the problem happens here, it can occur in a game or somewhere
else.

I hope nVidia people will read my mail and see what can be wrong in between
my configuration and the driver.
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 3:33:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

No driver will be compatible with all programs (though some are closer than
others). Did you try the 66.93 drivers with any OpenGL games?

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
It can therefore be said that politics is war without
bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."


"my.name@mail.com" <my.email@nomail.co> wrote in message
news:Xns95CF53B582A6Fmyemailnomailcom@212.27.42.66...
> I don't share your point of view.
>
> If screen-savers don't work correctly, this is because of a deeper
problem.
> Even if I am not interested in having pretty screen-savers, I am pretty
> sure that there is a problem with the OpenGL management.
>
> Anyway, if the problem happens here, it can occur in a game or somewhere
> else.
>
> I hope nVidia people will read my mail and see what can be wrong in
between
> my configuration and the driver.
>
!