Nvu Clock Init Failed on Gigabyte 6800 GT

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 29, 2004 4:28:20 PM

My friend has a Gigabyte 6800 GT and keeps getting a popup message on
Win XP startup that says "nvu clock init failed error" and he has green
stripes showing on the WinXP load-up page. He is running latest NVIDIA
drivers (66.93) and installed the Gigabyte software when he first
installed the card. Using Driver Cleaner did not seem to help. In Device
Manager all video-related devices show "INFORMATION NOT AVAILABLE". He
also has some light artifacting on his desktop resembling a grid. Is
this a driver problem or hardware failure? MOBO is ABIT IS-7G - running
a P4 2.8 w/ 1GB PC 3200.
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 6:23:59 PM

"Peter Bagrationoff" <pbagrat@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> My friend has a Gigabyte 6800 GT and keeps getting a popup message on Win
> XP startup that says "nvu clock init failed error" and he has green
> stripes showing on the WinXP load-up page. He is running latest NVIDIA
> drivers (66.93) and installed the Gigabyte software when he first
> installed the card. Using Driver Cleaner did not seem to help. In Device
> Manager all video-related devices show "INFORMATION NOT AVAILABLE". He
> also has some light artifacting on his desktop resembling a grid. Is this
> a driver problem or hardware failure? MOBO is ABIT IS-7G - running a P4
> 2.8 w/ 1GB PC 3200.

Not sure if it is hardware issue or not.
Please double check if the connector [gold-finger] is not cover by something
or dirty. Also check if the slot is not dirty either.
PowerUp your PC without the case cover and carefully feel if the card is
hot. During this time, check if the fan on the 6800 card is spining
correctly etc... While you are inspecting the card, check if the memory
module are hot too.
If it is too hot to touch, most likely cooling system but if it just warm
and there nothing cover or dirty on all connection / contact, then it can be
your 6800 maybe bad.

Check if you also have good Power Supple Unit. There should not be too much
hot air venting.

CapFusion,...
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 10:54:34 PM

Thanks for the response. We tried all that and no luck. The fan is
running and the card doesn't get hot. We took it out and put in my old
Radeon 9500 Pro and it works fine. He is going to RMA the card to
NewEgg and get an X800.

CapFusion wrote:
> "Peter Bagrationoff" <pbagrat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>> My friend has a Gigabyte 6800 GT and keeps getting a popup message on Win
>>XP startup that says "nvu clock init failed error" and he has green
>>stripes showing on the WinXP load-up page. He is running latest NVIDIA
>>drivers (66.93) and installed the Gigabyte software when he first
>>installed the card. Using Driver Cleaner did not seem to help. In Device
>>Manager all video-related devices show "INFORMATION NOT AVAILABLE". He
>>also has some light artifacting on his desktop resembling a grid. Is this
>>a driver problem or hardware failure? MOBO is ABIT IS-7G - running a P4
>>2.8 w/ 1GB PC 3200.
>

> Not sure if it is hardware issue or not.
> Please double check if the connector [gold-finger] is not cover by something
> or dirty. Also check if the slot is not dirty either.
> PowerUp your PC without the case cover and carefully feel if the card is
> hot. During this time, check if the fan on the 6800 card is spining
> correctly etc... While you are inspecting the card, check if the memory
> module are hot too.
> If it is too hot to touch, most likely cooling system but if it just warm
> and there nothing cover or dirty on all connection / contact, then it can be
> your 6800 maybe bad.
>
> Check if you also have good Power Supple Unit. There should not be too much
> hot air venting.
>
> CapFusion,...

Anonymous
December 29, 2004 10:54:35 PM

Thank you for your feedback on your decision.

CapFusion,...

!