3dmark results for 6600gt

The system:
AOpen Aeolus 6600GT AGP
AMD Athlon 2400+ (Thoroughbred core)
512meg DDR333
Sound Blaster Audigy LS
Antec TrueBlue 480W PSU
Generic 40gig ATA100 HDD

When I installed the graphics card I also wiped the hard drive
and went from Win98SE to WinXP SP1.

My old card in that box was a FX5200 128meg (please don't laugh
:p), which got ~5100 in 3dmark01.

After the upgrade I ran 3dmark01 again and got ~9500.

Today, after playing Doom 3 for a couple of days, I got around
to installing 3dmark03 and got 6281, and 336 for the CPU test.

Do these numbers seem about right, or is there anything else I
should tweak?

--
LJ
My Realm: http://www.myrealm.co.uk

PS. I'm pondering upgrading the CPU to a 2800+ Barton, dunno
if it's worth it though... in the late summer I plan to gut it
and upgrade to an Athlon64 anyway.

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

What settings did you use? That 3dmark01 score seems low. My old ti4200
got higher than that. But that's an old and irrelevant benchmark by today's
standard. I would think your 3dmark03 score should be closer to 8,000.

DaveL

"Linux Jay" <jamie@uranus.softham> wrote in message
> The system:
> AOpen Aeolus 6600GT AGP
> AMD Athlon 2400+ (Thoroughbred core)
> 512meg DDR333
> Sound Blaster Audigy LS
> Antec TrueBlue 480W PSU
> Generic 40gig ATA100 HDD
>
> When I installed the graphics card I also wiped the hard drive
> and went from Win98SE to WinXP SP1.
>
> My old card in that box was a FX5200 128meg (please don't laugh
> :p), which got ~5100 in 3dmark01.
>
> After the upgrade I ran 3dmark01 again and got ~9500.
>
> Today, after playing Doom 3 for a couple of days, I got around
> to installing 3dmark03 and got 6281, and 336 for the CPU test.
>
> Do these numbers seem about right, or is there anything else I
> should tweak?
>
> --
> LJ
> My Realm: http://www.myrealm.co.uk
> Eddie's Extensions: http://freshmeat.net/projects/eddie42
> Why do blondes wear green lipstick? Because red means stop.
>
> PS. I'm pondering upgrading the CPU to a 2800+ Barton, dunno
> if it's worth it though... in the late summer I plan to gut it
> and upgrade to an Athlon64 anyway.

His FX5200 score lower then your Ti4200 should be normal. FX5200 should be
class somewhere near MX card.

CapFusion,...

On 2004-12-29, DaveL <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote:

> What settings did you use? That 3dmark01 score seems low. My old ti4200
> got higher than that. But that's an old and irrelevant benchmark by today's
> standard. I would think your 3dmark03 score should be closer to 8,000.

I think I used whatever the default settings were.

For 3dmark01 it was 1024x768, 32-bit colour, no antialiasing.
Same for 03 I would assume. Not sure it's actually possible
to change the settings with the Pro version tbh.

Someone said I should change "vertical sync", currently
it's set to "Application-Controlled".

--
LJ
My Realm: http://www.myrealm.co.uk
Eddie's Extensions: http://freshmeat.net/projects/eddie42
Never look at the trombones. You'll only encourage them.
- Robert Strauss on conducting

Linux Jay wrote:
> The system:
> AOpen Aeolus 6600GT AGP
> AMD Athlon 2400+ (Thoroughbred core)
> 512meg DDR333
> Sound Blaster Audigy LS
> Antec TrueBlue 480W PSU
> Generic 40gig ATA100 HDD
>
> When I installed the graphics card I also wiped the hard drive
> and went from Win98SE to WinXP SP1.
>
> My old card in that box was a FX5200 128meg (please don't laugh
> :p), which got ~5100 in 3dmark01.
>
> After the upgrade I ran 3dmark01 again and got ~9500.
>
> Today, after playing Doom 3 for a couple of days, I got around
> to installing 3dmark03 and got 6281, and 336 for the CPU test.
>
> Do these numbers seem about right, or is there anything else I
> should tweak?

I got somwhere around 13,000 with 3DMark01 with my ti4200... you
should be well beyond that with a 6800 in there.

On 2004-12-29, Linux Jay <jamie@uranus.softham> wrote:
> The system:
> AOpen Aeolus 6600GT AGP
> AMD Athlon 2400+ (Thoroughbred core)
> 512meg DDR333
> Sound Blaster Audigy LS
> Antec TrueBlue 480W PSU
> Generic 40gig ATA100 HDD
>
> When I installed the graphics card I also wiped the hard drive
> and went from Win98SE to WinXP SP1.
>
> My old card in that box was a FX5200 128meg (please don't laugh
>:p), which got ~5100 in 3dmark01.
>
> After the upgrade I ran 3dmark01 again and got ~9500.
>
> Today, after playing Doom 3 for a couple of days, I got around
> to installing 3dmark03 and got 6281, and 336 for the CPU test.
>
> Do these numbers seem about right, or is there anything else I
> should tweak?

A couple more bits of info:
It's an ASUS A7V-600X mobo, and I'm using the 71.20
drivers from guru3d.

I've also not overclocked the card.

I just set vsync to "on by default" and ended up getting
just over 4000 in 3dmark03.

Am going to try "off by default" after this post...

--
LJ
Penguin
My Realm: http://www.myrealm.co.uk
Eddie's Extensions: http://freshmeat.net/projects/eddie42
Ford Condoms: The best never rest.

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

Vsync should always be turned off for benchmarking. You might want to check
other setting to make sure things like AA are not turned on. Also, are your
motherboard drivers updated? You might try different video driver versions
to see if one works better than the other.

> On 2004-12-29, Linux Jay <jamie@uranus.softham> wrote:
> > The system:
> > AOpen Aeolus 6600GT AGP
> > AMD Athlon 2400+ (Thoroughbred core)
> > 512meg DDR333
> > Sound Blaster Audigy LS
> > Antec TrueBlue 480W PSU
> > Generic 40gig ATA100 HDD
> >
> > When I installed the graphics card I also wiped the hard drive
> > and went from Win98SE to WinXP SP1.
> >
> > My old card in that box was a FX5200 128meg (please don't laugh
> >:p), which got ~5100 in 3dmark01.
> >
> > After the upgrade I ran 3dmark01 again and got ~9500.
> >
> > Today, after playing Doom 3 for a couple of days, I got around
> > to installing 3dmark03 and got 6281, and 336 for the CPU test.
> >
> > Do these numbers seem about right, or is there anything else I
> > should tweak?
> >
> A couple more bits of info:
> It's an ASUS A7V-600X mobo, and I'm using the 71.20
> drivers from guru3d.
>
> I've also not overclocked the card.
>
> I just set vsync to "on by default" and ended up getting
> just over 4000 in 3dmark03.
>
> Am going to try "off by default" after this post...
>
> --
> LJ
> Penguin
> My Realm: http://www.myrealm.co.uk
> Eddie's Extensions: http://freshmeat.net/projects/eddie42
> Ford Condoms: The best never rest.

mb

Isn't the 6600gt score a little low as well? My athlon xp 2600 running @
2200 mhz with a ti4200 @ 300/594 scores 11600 in 3dmark 2001.
And although I cant remember exactly I think the score was sorta close to
Jay's with the cpu and card running at default speed.

I'll leave the real advice to those who actually know what they are talking
about, but I'll tell you something that helped me a bit, I recently
installed a motherboard with the nforce2 chip, and just let winxp install
its drivers for the board, it seemed to run o.k. and I'm a bit of a "if it
aint broke" sort of person, but eventually I installed the nvidia drivers
for the board and - hey presto an extra 1500 points on the 3dmark score. So
on the off-chance you've got a new board with the winxp drivers, give the
proper drivers a go.

"CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe@CrazyJunk.Com> wrote in message
> His FX5200 score lower then your Ti4200 should be normal. FX5200 should be
> class somewhere near MX card.
>
> CapFusion,...
>

> "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > What settings did you use? That 3dmark01 score seems low. My old
ti4200
> > got higher than that. But that's an old and irrelevant benchmark by
> > today's
> > standard. I would think your 3dmark03 score should be closer to 8,000.
> >
> > DaveL
> >

> > "Linux Jay" <jamie@uranus.softham> wrote in message
> >> The system:
> >> AOpen Aeolus 6600GT AGP
> >> AMD Athlon 2400+ (Thoroughbred core)
> >> 512meg DDR333
> >> Sound Blaster Audigy LS
> >> Antec TrueBlue 480W PSU
> >> Generic 40gig ATA100 HDD
> >>
> >> When I installed the graphics card I also wiped the hard drive
> >> and went from Win98SE to WinXP SP1.
> >>
> >> My old card in that box was a FX5200 128meg (please don't laugh
> >> :p), which got ~5100 in 3dmark01.
> >>
> >> After the upgrade I ran 3dmark01 again and got ~9500.
> >>
> >> Today, after playing Doom 3 for a couple of days, I got around
> >> to installing 3dmark03 and got 6281, and 336 for the CPU test.
> >>
> >> Do these numbers seem about right, or is there anything else I
> >> should tweak?
> >>
> >> --
> >> LJ
> >> My Realm: http://www.myrealm.co.uk
> >> Eddie's Extensions: http://freshmeat.net/projects/eddie42
> >> Why do blondes wear green lipstick? Because red means stop.
> >>
> >> PS. I'm pondering upgrading the CPU to a 2800+ Barton, dunno
> >> if it's worth it though... in the late summer I plan to gut it
> >> and upgrade to an Athlon64 anyway.

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, I don't know what CapFusion was talking about. I was comparing his
6600GT numbers with my ti4200, which did score over 10k. BTW, what version
Nforce2 driver did you load?

DaveL

"MB" <.> wrote in message
> Isn't the 6600gt score a little low as well? My athlon xp 2600 running @
> 2200 mhz with a ti4200 @ 300/594 scores 11600 in 3dmark 2001.
> And although I cant remember exactly I think the score was sorta close to
> Jay's with the cpu and card running at default speed.
>
> I'll leave the real advice to those who actually know what they are
talking
> about, but I'll tell you something that helped me a bit, I recently
> installed a motherboard with the nforce2 chip, and just let winxp install
> its drivers for the board, it seemed to run o.k. and I'm a bit of a "if it
> aint broke" sort of person, but eventually I installed the nvidia drivers
> for the board and - hey presto an extra 1500 points on the 3dmark score.
So
> on the off-chance you've got a new board with the winxp drivers, give the
> proper drivers a go.
>

> "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe@CrazyJunk.Com> wrote in message
> > His FX5200 score lower then your Ti4200 should be normal. FX5200 should
be
> > class somewhere near MX card.
> >
> > CapFusion,...
> >

> > "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > > What settings did you use? That 3dmark01 score seems low. My old
> ti4200
> > > got higher than that. But that's an old and irrelevant benchmark by
> > > today's
> > > standard. I would think your 3dmark03 score should be closer to
8,000.

> > > DaveL
> > >

> > > "Linux Jay" <jamie@uranus.softham> wrote in message

>My athlon xp 2600 running @
>2200 mhz with a ti4200 @ 300/594 scores 11600 in 3dmark 2001.

My 2500+ Barton and 4200 gets 13500 in 3Dmark2001

Sorry, I probably got cross-wired somewhere. I thought something about
Ti4200 from you then 5200 from Linux Jay.

> Yeah, I don't know what CapFusion was talking about. I was comparing his
> 6600GT numbers with my ti4200, which did score over 10k. BTW, what
> version
> Nforce2 driver did you load?
>
> DaveL
>

> "MB" <.> wrote in message
>> Isn't the 6600gt score a little low as well? My athlon xp 2600 running @
>> 2200 mhz with a ti4200 @ 300/594 scores 11600 in 3dmark 2001.
>> And although I cant remember exactly I think the score was sorta close to
>> Jay's with the cpu and card running at default speed.
>>
>> I'll leave the real advice to those who actually know what they are
> talking
>> about, but I'll tell you something that helped me a bit, I recently
>> installed a motherboard with the nforce2 chip, and just let winxp install
>> its drivers for the board, it seemed to run o.k. and I'm a bit of a "if
>> it
>> aint broke" sort of person, but eventually I installed the nvidia
>> drivers
>> for the board and - hey presto an extra 1500 points on the 3dmark score.
> So
>> on the off-chance you've got a new board with the winxp drivers, give the
>> proper drivers a go.
>>

>> "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe@CrazyJunk.Com> wrote in message
>> > His FX5200 score lower then your Ti4200 should be normal. FX5200 should
> be
>> > class somewhere near MX card.
>> >
>> > CapFusion,...
>> >

>> > "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> ti4200
> 8,000.

mb

The original drivers came straight from a fresh xp sp1 install, the new ones
were actually the WHQL certified ones of the nvidia site - version 5.10
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_5.10
so still winxp but later version.

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Yeah, I don't know what CapFusion was talking about. I was comparing his
> 6600GT numbers with my ti4200, which did score over 10k. BTW, what
version
> Nforce2 driver did you load?
>
> DaveL
>

> "MB" <.> wrote in message
> > Isn't the 6600gt score a little low as well? My athlon xp 2600 running
@
> > 2200 mhz with a ti4200 @ 300/594 scores 11600 in 3dmark 2001.
> > And although I cant remember exactly I think the score was sorta close
> > Jay's with the cpu and card running at default speed.
> >
> > I'll leave the real advice to those who actually know what they are
> talking
> > about, but I'll tell you something that helped me a bit, I recently
> > installed a motherboard with the nforce2 chip, and just let winxp
install
> > its drivers for the board, it seemed to run o.k. and I'm a bit of a "if
it
> > aint broke" sort of person, but eventually I installed the nvidia
drivers
> > for the board and - hey presto an extra 1500 points on the 3dmark score.
> So
> > on the off-chance you've got a new board with the winxp drivers, give
the
> > proper drivers a go.
> >

> > "CapFusion" <CapFusion.Yo.@hotmail.Hehe@CrazyJunk.Com> wrote in message
> > > His FX5200 score lower then your Ti4200 should be normal. FX5200
should
> be
> > > class somewhere near MX card.
> > >
> > > CapFusion,...
> > >

> > > "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > ti4200
> 8,000.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

DaveL wrote:
> Vsync should always be turned off for benchmarking. You might want to check
> other setting to make sure things like AA are not turned on. Also, are your
> motherboard drivers updated? You might try different video driver versions
> to see if one works better than the other.
>
> DaveL
>

> "Linux Jay" <jamie@uranus.softham> wrote in message
>
>>On 2004-12-29, Linux Jay <jamie@uranus.softham> wrote:
>>
>>>The system:
>>>AOpen Aeolus 6600GT AGP
>>>AMD Athlon 2400+ (Thoroughbred core)
>>>512meg DDR333
>>>Sound Blaster Audigy LS
>>>Antec TrueBlue 480W PSU
>>>Generic 40gig ATA100 HDD
>>>
>>>When I installed the graphics card I also wiped the hard drive
>>>and went from Win98SE to WinXP SP1.
>>>
>>>My old card in that box was a FX5200 128meg (please don't laugh
>>>:p), which got ~5100 in 3dmark01.
>>>
>>>After the upgrade I ran 3dmark01 again and got ~9500.
>>>
>>>Today, after playing Doom 3 for a couple of days, I got around
>>>to installing 3dmark03 and got 6281, and 336 for the CPU test.
>>>
>>>Do these numbers seem about right, or is there anything else I
>>>should tweak?
>>>

>>A couple more bits of info:
>>It's an ASUS A7V-600X mobo, and I'm using the 71.20
>>drivers from guru3d.
>>
>>I've also not overclocked the card.
>>
>>I just set vsync to "on by default" and ended up getting
>>just over 4000 in 3dmark03.
>>
>>Am going to try "off by default" after this post...

EPoX 8RDA+
Barton 2500+ no O/C
768MB DDR 333 Dual channel no O/C
Gainward 6600GT 'Golden Sample' 540/1050 - these are standard clocks for
this card

v71.20 video drivers, AGP8x, FastWrite and SBA are ON.

3DMark01 = 13843
3DMark03 = 7985 CPU = 564
3DMark05 = 3331
Aquamark = ~42000

All at 1024x768x32, no AA, VSync off, all background tasks still
running, (Firewall, Virus, etc), no optimisation of the system at all.

Dave

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 10:26:29 +1100, Dave <QBXVRAVCYLPD@spammotel.com>
wrote:

>DaveL wrote:
>> Vsync should always be turned off for benchmarking. You might want to check
>> other setting to make sure things like AA are not turned on. Also, are your
>> motherboard drivers updated? You might try different video driver versions
>> to see if one works better than the other.
>>
>> DaveL
>>

>> "Linux Jay" <jamie@uranus.softham> wrote in message

>>>A couple more bits of info:
>>>It's an ASUS A7V-600X mobo, and I'm using the 71.20
>>>drivers from guru3d.
>>>
>>>I've also not overclocked the card.
>>>
>>>I just set vsync to "on by default" and ended up getting
>>>just over 4000 in 3dmark03.
>>>
>>>Am going to try "off by default" after this post...
>
>EPoX 8RDA+
>Barton 2500+ no O/C
>768MB DDR 333 Dual channel no O/C
>Gainward 6600GT 'Golden Sample' 540/1050 - these are standard clocks for
>this card
>
>v71.20 video drivers, AGP8x, FastWrite and SBA are ON.
>
>3DMark01 = 13843
>3DMark03 = 7985 CPU = 564
>3DMark05 = 3331
>Aquamark = ~42000
>
>All at 1024x768x32, no AA, VSync off, all background tasks still
>running, (Firewall, Virus, etc), no optimisation of the system at all.
>
>Dave
almost identical system (my 6600GT is running at 525/1050) but 1 gig
ram and almost identical marks, 7810 (GFX) / 596 (CPU) on '03 and 3294
on '05.

--
ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere!Thekeytoanysecurity
systemishowit'sdesigned!Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!

Luke Curtis wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 10:26:29 +1100, Dave <QBXVRAVCYLPD@spammotel.com>
> wrote:

>> EPoX 8RDA+
>> Barton 2500+ no O/C
>> 768MB DDR 333 Dual channel no O/C
>> Gainward 6600GT 'Golden Sample' 540/1050 - these are standard clocks
>> for this card
>>
>> v71.20 video drivers, AGP8x, FastWrite and SBA are ON.
>>
>> 3DMark01 = 13843
>> 3DMark03 = 7985 CPU = 564
>> 3DMark05 = 3331
>> Aquamark = ~42000
>>
>> All at 1024x768x32, no AA, VSync off, all background tasks still
>> running, (Firewall, Virus, etc), no optimisation of the system at
>> all.

> almost identical system (my 6600GT is running at 525/1050) but 1 gig
> ram and almost identical marks, 7810 (GFX) / 596 (CPU) on '03 and 3294
> on '05.

I'd think it might be handy to start a thread with some popular benchmark
results in a standard format that could be added to by anyone interested. I
leave it to others more adept to decide if that seems a useful idea and if
so what a good reporting format might be.

For myself, I'd think that just the minimum necessary would make the info
results more useful and readable. Perhaps a thread for 3DMark03 exclusively,
giving CPU type and speed, ram type and amount, GPU type and clock speeds
and maybe OS and driver info. I'd post something like:
AMD 2800+, 1 Gig PC3200, FX6800 @ 370,1060, WinXP/nV 66.93 = 9390.

Of course, wiser heads will probably point out things I've missed, but it
seems the idea could be useful for people wondering if they're getting the
most out of their hardware investment. If some are running an overclocked
CPU they would see what effect, if any, the extra speed is providing while
people running stock set-ups would know if corrections are in order. There's
lots of this info here in various threads, but having it all together might
be nice.

Comments? (is this a pipe-dream?)

--
dvus