6800 vs Radeon 9800 1st impressions

I just got a BFG 6800 GT OC to replace my ATI Radeon 9800 and I am very
impressed with it. I ran 3D Mark 03 and got 11071. I am running a P4 3.0 GHz
overclocked to 3.3 GHz and 1.0 Gig of ram at SATA RAID 1 hard disks.

I have played Far Cry and Half Life 2 and am impressed with speed and and
visual quality with this card. It should hold be for awhile.

Thanks for everyones advice on it.

John
14 answers Last reply
More about 6800 radeon 9800 impressions

    John McCoy wrote:
    > I just got a BFG 6800 GT OC to replace my ATI Radeon 9800 and I am very
    > impressed with it. I ran 3D Mark 03 and got 11071. I am running a P4 3.0 GHz
    > overclocked to 3.3 GHz and 1.0 Gig of ram at SATA RAID 1 hard disks.
    >
    > I have played Far Cry and Half Life 2 and am impressed with speed and and
    > visual quality with this card. It should hold be for awhile.

    Glad to hear yours is ticking along.

    Just hours ago, I boxed up the new BFG 6800 Ultra I ordered from
    Zipzoomfly and shipped it back, having found a capacitor rattling around
    loose inside the anti-static bag, along with the card. Don't think my
    3D Mark score would've quite matched yours.

    Oh, well. Sometimes you 'da windshield, sometimes you 'da bug.

    Hmm, with the price you are paying for such a high-end card, you'd think BFG
    would package it a bit more securely...

    "CriticalMass" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
    > Glad to hear yours is ticking along.
    >
    > Just hours ago, I boxed up the new BFG 6800 Ultra I ordered from
    > Zipzoomfly and shipped it back, having found a capacitor rattling around
    > loose inside the anti-static bag, along with the card. Don't think my
    > 3D Mark score would've quite matched yours.
    >
    > Oh, well. Sometimes you 'da windshield, sometimes you 'da bug.

    I hope you get it resolved. I bought a motherboard from zipzoomfly.com and
    it was bad. It has taken 3 weeks and I still do not have a credit.

    Good Luck with yours, I will not be buying from them again.

    John

    "CriticalMass" <no@spam.com> wrote in message

    > John McCoy wrote:
    >> I just got a BFG 6800 GT OC to replace my ATI Radeon 9800 and I am very
    >> impressed with it. I ran 3D Mark 03 and got 11071. I am running a P4 3.0
    >> GHz overclocked to 3.3 GHz and 1.0 Gig of ram at SATA RAID 1 hard disks.
    >>
    >> I have played Far Cry and Half Life 2 and am impressed with speed and and
    >> visual quality with this card. It should hold be for awhile.
    >
    > Glad to hear yours is ticking along.
    >
    > Just hours ago, I boxed up the new BFG 6800 Ultra I ordered from
    > Zipzoomfly and shipped it back, having found a capacitor rattling around
    > loose inside the anti-static bag, along with the card. Don't think my 3D
    > Mark score would've quite matched yours.
    >
    > Oh, well. Sometimes you 'da windshield, sometimes you 'da bug.

    You need to send them email or simply call them up to check on the status.

    CapFusion,...

    "John McCoy" <johnm160athotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I hope you get it resolved. I bought a motherboard from zipzoomfly.com and
    >it was bad. It has taken 3 weeks and I still do not have a credit.
    >
    > Good Luck with yours, I will not be buying from them again.
    >
    > John
    >

    > "CriticalMass" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> John McCoy wrote:
    >>> I just got a BFG 6800 GT OC to replace my ATI Radeon 9800 and I am very
    >>> impressed with it. I ran 3D Mark 03 and got 11071. I am running a P4 3.0
    >>> GHz overclocked to 3.3 GHz and 1.0 Gig of ram at SATA RAID 1 hard disks.
    >>>
    >>> I have played Far Cry and Half Life 2 and am impressed with speed and
    >>> and visual quality with this card. It should hold be for awhile.
    >>
    >> Glad to hear yours is ticking along.
    >>
    >> Just hours ago, I boxed up the new BFG 6800 Ultra I ordered from
    >> Zipzoomfly and shipped it back, having found a capacitor rattling around
    >> loose inside the anti-static bag, along with the card. Don't think my 3D
    >> Mark score would've quite matched yours.
    >>
    >> Oh, well. Sometimes you 'da windshield, sometimes you 'da bug.

    I called tonight and they are slow on the RMA, I should see it soon but will
    get hit with a restocking fee, they think my motherboard was ok and it
    wasn't.

    I am not happy with their service.

    John McCoy wrote:

    > I just got a BFG 6800 GT OC to replace my ATI Radeon 9800 and I am very
    > impressed with it. I ran 3D Mark 03 and got 11071. I am running a P4 3.0 GHz
    > overclocked to 3.3 GHz and 1.0 Gig of ram at SATA RAID 1 hard disks.
    >
    > I have played Far Cry and Half Life 2 and am impressed with speed and and
    > visual quality with this card. It should hold be for awhile.
    >
    > Thanks for everyones advice on it.
    >
    > John

    How's the noise compared to your old card? Whiny? Sharper? Lower hum?
    I'm contemplating for a change like that myself, but the noise factor
    is perhaps more important to me than speed at the moment.

    I have a silent ASUS ax800pro 256 and run HL2 and Doom3. For now in the
    winter. Let's see in the summer...

    It seems fine here.

    Thanks

    > I called tonight and they are slow on the RMA, I should see it soon but
    will
    > get hit with a restocking fee, they think my motherboard was ok and it
    > wasn't.
    >
    > I am not happy with their service.

    I had my 6800gt bork, a mem chip went nuts. that was on Dec 17th, "out of
    stock, will ship another when we have it" was, is, my reply.

    <shrug> Glad I'm rich and don't care that much.

    I spoke with the RMA again department today and am glad I called or I would
    have never been credited. I will not buy from tghem again. They split the
    restocking fee with me, they claim the motherboard tested ok.

    John

    John McCoy wrote:

    > I spoke with the RMA again department today and am glad I called or I would
    > have never been credited. I will not buy from tghem again. They split the
    > restocking fee with me, they claim the motherboard tested ok.
    >

    > John

    Sad thing is they will probably repackage the board and sell it again.

    --
    "The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do
    nothing."--Edmund Burke

    That is what I was thinking. They never split the restocking fee like they
    said either.

    John

    "James Riske" <james_riske@nothingwillhappen_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > John McCoy wrote:
    >
    >> I spoke with the RMA again department today and am glad I called or I
    >> would have never been credited. I will not buy from tghem again. They
    >> split the restocking fee with me, they claim the motherboard tested ok.
    >>

    >> John
    >>

    > Sad thing is they will probably repackage the board and sell it again.
    >

    > --
    > "The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do
    > nothing."--Edmund Burke
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Late reply.... On holiday.

    Ask them to have the card running for awhile, the noise should start.
    Humm... I thought everyone here like BFG brand .... ?

    >I spoke with the RMA again department today and am glad I called or I would
    >have never been credited. I will not buy from tghem again. They split the
    >restocking fee with me, they claim the motherboard tested ok.
    >

    > John
    >

    > "Friendly Guru" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "John McCoy" <johnm160athotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> I called tonight and they are slow on the RMA, I should see it soon but
    >> will
    >>> get hit with a restocking fee, they think my motherboard was ok and it
    >>> wasn't.
    >>>
    >>> I am not happy with their service.
    >>>

    >> I had my 6800gt bork, a mem chip went nuts. that was on Dec 17th, "out of
    >> stock, will ship another when we have it" was, is, my reply.
    >>
    >> <shrug> Glad I'm rich and don't care that much.

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    I like BFG, I was referring to zipzoonfly.com on a returned motherboard.

    John

    > Late reply.... On holiday.
    >
    > Ask them to have the card running for awhile, the noise should start.
    > Humm... I thought everyone here like BFG brand .... ?
    >
    > CapFusion,...
    >

    > "John McCoy" <johnm160athotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I spoke with the RMA again department today and am glad I called or I
    >>would have never been credited. I will not buy from tghem again. They
    >>split the restocking fee with me, they claim the motherboard tested ok.
    >>

    >> John
    >>

    >> "Friendly Guru" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "John McCoy" <johnm160athotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> will

    >>> I had my 6800gt bork, a mem chip went nuts. that was on Dec 17th, "out
    >>> of
    >>> stock, will ship another when we have it" was, is, my reply.
    >>>
    >>> <shrug> Glad I'm rich and don't care that much.

Nvidia Radeon Graphics