Gearbox Rebooting Duke Nukem Franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Heheheh....Ahhh does anyone see another DNF coming? This joke just will not die! 100 years from now it's going to be going on, just with a different company, walking on the corpses of 100 other companies who tried to make a Duke game. Oh, the humanity..

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
Gee, the 'let duke die' crowd wastes no time. Anyways... Good. Having this out of George's hands will be the only change necessary that keeps this from being another long, protracted development process.

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Duke Nukem has been due a reboot for a while, glad Gearbox finished up DNF and got it out the door first for the sake of closure, and can now get round to re-establish the character. Really, Duke Nukem 1 & 2 were really just prerequisites, Duke Nukem 3D cemented the character as we know him today, but after that the numerous sequels and spinoffs were all rather lame in comparison, DNF was kinda the culmination of all that, and I'm surprised people had such high expectations of it.

Hopefully Gearbox return to more of the Duke Nukem 3D style character, which a bit of Duke Nukem 1 & 2 thrown in. i.e. a nasty, cigar chomping, steroid abusing, beer swilling 80's action-hero parody, that puts together his own pipe bombs and hangs out in seedy strip bars - not some toned-down PG-13 rated embarrassment he turned into in the later games.

G

Duke Nukem Forever a complete mess of a game was profitable. So knowing that they can make a much better Duke Nukem game from the ground up why wouldnt they? It just makes to much cents.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I think this is a good idea as a complete reboot means it no longer requires to follow the old trends that simply do not work anymore. This will also give Duke the opportunity to evolve some which is needed for any character. This is something Duke has always lacked, he never changed or evolved.
It didn't matter what happened, to whom or what he had no development or progress at all.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
NuclearShadow : I'm actually betting Randy Pitchford understands that. Duke is supposed to be a jab against developing cliches among the current crowd of modern heroes. It's not like there isn't source material to fuel evolution become evolution. For example Christian Bale's awkward altered Batman voice is just begging to make it's way into a Duke Nukem joke. I'm sure John St. John could do that easy.

G

To Gearbox: Don't even bother. As a veteran Duke 3d player, you have completely alienated me from good old Duke with your terrible DNF title.

The mere thought of Duke fills me with disgust today, thanks to you. You can take your fake Duke franchise and bury yourselves in bankruptcy with it. The mere mention of Duke is boycotted for all eternity.

sticks435

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
[citation][nom]supperweeee[/nom]To Gearbox: Don't even bother. As a veteran Duke 3d player, you have completely alienated me from good old Duke with your terrible DNF title. The mere thought of Duke fills me with disgust today, thanks to you. You can take your fake Duke franchise and bury yourselves in bankruptcy with it. The mere mention of Duke is boycotted for all eternity.[/citation]
You do realize that Gearbox had nothing to do with DNF right? All they did was piece together what 3d realms had been working on and get it out the door finally. It was 80 or 85% complete when they bought it.

[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]I think this is a good idea as a complete reboot means it no longer requires to follow the old trends that simply do not work anymore. This will also give Duke the opportunity to evolve some which is needed for any character. This is something Duke has always lacked, he never changed or evolved.It didn't matter what happened, to whom or what he had no development or progress at all.[/citation]

And this would be exactly the wrong thing to do with the Duke.

Duke Nukem isn't about any character evolution, spiritual awakening, learning moments, nor touchy-feely characterization. He's back a$$ kicking, more a$$ kicking, name calling, ohh and chewing bubblegum. He doesn't develop or change, nothing but jokes upon jokes upon jabs. There is nothing wrong with this, it's who the duke is. Notice they never give him a name other then "Duke Nukem", no history, no parents, no romantic interests (other then the twins). Just shallow dirty humor.

Sometimes I really have to wonder what everyone expects from Duke? His entire character concept is a joke on modern day hero's. He's basically the anti-hero.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom]And this would be exactly the wrong thing to do with the Duke.Duke Nukem isn't about any character evolution, spiritual awakening, learning moments, nor touchy-feely characterization. He's back a$$ kicking, more a$$ kicking, name calling, ohh and chewing bubblegum. He doesn't develop or change, nothing but jokes upon jokes upon jabs. There is nothing wrong with this, it's who the duke is. Notice they never give him a name other then "Duke Nukem", no history, no parents, no romantic interests (other then the twins). Just shallow dirty humor.Sometimes I really have to wonder what everyone expects from Duke? His entire character concept is a joke on modern day hero's. He's basically the anti-hero.[/citation]
This started happening in Duke Nukem 2 (Why I'm So Great, anyone?). But nothing in DN1 lead me to believe he was a hero parody... That only arose in DN3D...
Maybe I'm just old school, but a back-story doesn't hurt my perception of DN...

So are you saying in the first sequel there wasn't any character progression? Maybe my memory is a bit fuzzy but I could swear there wasn't a single bit of hero back-story or character progression in the original either.

So umm, the first, second, third and fourth versions all had no character progression, yet somehow we want that now?

Now I like back-story as much as the next guy, I'm an avid reader and enjoy a good RPG, but Duke Nukem is the exact wrong type of game to do that with. Rebooting is fine, have him as a younger duke kicking alien a$$ with young chicks on his arm, nothing wrong with that. Just don't try to create some sort of sad mother / father story with his dog dieing type stuff.

Thing of Duke as the game version of Chuck Norris.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I guess the 9 people (so far) that have thumbed down my comment haven't played Duke Nukem Forever. I've deleted that game off of my hard drive and I'm still kicking myself for purchasing it.

G

This is the best news for the franchise I have ever heard. I can only hope that with proper management we can see a decently timed release with a decent finished product.
Duke multiplayer is the only thing that barely saved Forever, Duke deserves a decent return to modern era. Our society could use the shake-up.

SmileyTPB1

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
Wow a lot of people here don't like to hear most people think that DNF stinks.

The joke of DNF being the most hyped game that never got finished isn't nearly as bad as the joke of it finally getting finished and being considered one of the worst major game released ever.

The game is bad enough that they should let the franchise die. Not to mention that the world has moved on from FPS like Duke. Has anyone noticed that no one cares for Unreal or Quake either anymore?

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
I figured they'd do this, eventually. Gearbox isn't known for leaving people with complete shit like DNF was (which most of us expected tbh), and given they were handed that crap and told to fix it for an immediate release, it's kind of hard to just blame them at all. Hopefully they'll do us justice even if it is just a final game in the Duke franchise and budgeted smaller than the combined total budget for DNF. They couldn't do worse and that's a plus.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]I guess the 9 people (so far) that have thumbed down my comment haven't played Duke Nukem Forever. I've deleted that game off of my hard drive and I'm still kicking myself for purchasing it.[/citation]
i make 10, and its not because we didn't play it, its because we understand that gearbox is a great company, and all they did was put duke together, not make it at all. its like some scientist created a clone, than another and another, and all of them died, than gear was given the 3 corpses and told to make it function, and they did.

this time they have from beginning to end, the game they want to make with it.

and also, you comment was what, with no qualifying text after it. though i dont agree with the game being absolute crap, i do agree that 50-60$ is WAY to much considering the end, its why im waiting on a sale.
[citation][nom]keczapifrytki[/nom]They really do not realize that the last game Gearbox released was pure garbage? Have you no shame?[/citation]

see above in this comment.
[citation][nom]SmileyTPB1[/nom]Wow a lot of people here don't like to hear most people think that DNF stinks.The joke of DNF being the most hyped game that never got finished isn't nearly as bad as the joke of it finally getting finished and being considered one of the worst major game released ever.The game is bad enough that they should let the franchise die. Not to mention that the world has moved on from FPS like Duke. Has anyone noticed that no one cares for Unreal or Quake either anymore?[/citation]

actually we still do, not everyone likes military style fpses or hide for health space marines.

i don't like unreal 3 because, well, i hate vehicle gameplay in fps games, the only game where it doesn't annoy me is battlefield, but i still hate them there, because all you need is 1 team not high enough to deal with a helicopter properly, and the whole game is ruined.

i prefer claustrophobic fpses with a wide open battle arena, think golden eye temple, and i also prefer fun fps romps like serious same the first and second encounter.

all the duke needs to do to win is this
1) have good gun play
2) make you lol or turn away in disgust, either is fine
3) interactive enviorments, its one of the staples of duke 3d is all the extra crap you can do. they dont have to be done well, just doable.
4) dont end the game in the most hated way a fps can be hated.
5) have things in the game that you know the player will hate, but not often, such as a jumping puzzle in fps, and have the game become self aware during those times, and extra points if you can make these hated sequences work in a fun way.

26-32 levels, all of which can be beaten in less than 10 minutes, but take 20 a first run, and there. you have a great game, extra points if the levels tie into each other in some way,

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]Wow! Ain't that what you hate exactly what DNF delivers? I really couldn't pass the driving part! I've deleted it after a few driving sequences. DNF sucks!You owe the guy an excuse for contradicting yourself![/citation]

lets see here, when i say vehicle i don't mean the kind like the duke implementation, or at least from what i have seen of it.

take a look at halo, where you are pretty screwed trying to go toe to toe with a vehicle as a person.

and i personally liked unreal when they stayed smaller. the addition of vehicle gameplay, called for bigger maps, which i dont like

and anyone who has ever played a fps with a vehicle knows, all you need is 2 people who know what they are doing, and the other team wont stand a chance.

i have been in battlefield maps where with 1 tank and 2 people, we dominated the map so hard that it was a joke, and have been on the receveing side from helicopters because so many people have no idea how to use them good, all you need is one person and they can run the while map.

from what i seen of the vehicles in duke, its more of a point a-b instead of the end all of combat. and honestly, i love it when vehicles such in fpses, if only because it discourages use in online.

and as far as single player goes, i have very little problems with vehicles, is more of an online hate that i have for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.