Any help with blurry 2d on a GeForce 6800?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 2, 2005 3:31:59 AM

I just upgraded today from a Leadtek Ti4200 to a BFG Tech GeForce 6800 OC
and my 2d is awful. It's extremely blurry and hard on the eyes. If I lower
my resolution to 1024x768 it is crisp and clear. My preferred resolutioon is
1280x1024@85hz. I tried adjusting the "Image Sharpening" slider and at two
ticks to the right it helps a little, but is still very blurry. Also,
switching from the VGA out to the DVI out with the VGA adaptor seemed to
slightly decrease the blurryness. Either way though, it's totally
unacceptable.

Not sure waht the deal is with this but a quick search on google seems like
this is a hit or miss problem with most brands of the 6800 line of card. Is
there any fix for this? If I can't find a fix and BFG tech support has no
answer I'm gonna exchange the card and see if anotehr one works. If not I
may try a different brand of card. This horrid blurryness is totally
unacceptable for the amount of money I paid for this card. Maybe if it was a
cheapy $50 card it would be acceptable, but not for the several hundred
dollars these things go for. If worse comes to worse I'll just go back to my
old Ti 4200, or perhaps give ATI a try. I'd rather have crisp and clean easy
to read 2d than blazing fast 3d at max detail and high resolution. Poor
quality 3d is just something I may have to live with.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer, I will certainly appreciate it.

Cory

More about : blurry geforce 6800

Anonymous
January 2, 2005 3:36:14 AM

Have you tried turning on Cleartype ?

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/1.h...

"Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I just upgraded today from a Leadtek Ti4200 to a BFG Tech GeForce 6800 OC
> and my 2d is awful. It's extremely blurry and hard on the eyes. If I lower
> my resolution to 1024x768 it is crisp and clear. My preferred resolutioon
> is
> 1280x1024@85hz. I tried adjusting the "Image Sharpening" slider and at two
> ticks to the right it helps a little, but is still very blurry. Also,
> switching from the VGA out to the DVI out with the VGA adaptor seemed to
> slightly decrease the blurryness. Either way though, it's totally
> unacceptable.
>
> Not sure waht the deal is with this but a quick search on google seems
> like
> this is a hit or miss problem with most brands of the 6800 line of card.
> Is
> there any fix for this? If I can't find a fix and BFG tech support has no
> answer I'm gonna exchange the card and see if anotehr one works. If not I
> may try a different brand of card. This horrid blurryness is totally
> unacceptable for the amount of money I paid for this card. Maybe if it was
> cheapy $50 card it would be acceptable, but not for the several hundred
> dollars these things go for. If worse comes to worse I'll just go back to
> my
> old Ti 4200, or perhaps give ATI a try. I'd rather have crisp and clean
> easy
> to read 2d than blazing fast 3d at max detail and high resolution. Poor
> quality 3d is just something I may have to live with.
>
> Thanks for any help you guys can offer, I will certainly appreciate it.
>
> Cory

Anonymous
January 2, 2005 4:01:00 AM

I have Windows 2000 Professional, not XP. Thanks anyway for the tip.

Cory

"RonK" <I'mhere@home.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried turning on Cleartype ?
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/1.h...
>

> "Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >I just upgraded today from a Leadtek Ti4200 to a BFG Tech GeForce 6800 OC
> > and my 2d is awful. It's extremely blurry and hard on the eyes. If I
lower
> > my resolution to 1024x768 it is crisp and clear. My preferred
resolutioon
> > is
> > 1280x1024@85hz. I tried adjusting the "Image Sharpening" slider and at
two
> > ticks to the right it helps a little, but is still very blurry. Also,
> > switching from the VGA out to the DVI out with the VGA adaptor seemed to
> > slightly decrease the blurryness. Either way though, it's totally
> > unacceptable.
> >
> > Not sure waht the deal is with this but a quick search on google seems
> > like
> > this is a hit or miss problem with most brands of the 6800 line of card.
> > Is
> > there any fix for this? If I can't find a fix and BFG tech support has
no
> > answer I'm gonna exchange the card and see if anotehr one works. If not
> > may try a different brand of card. This horrid blurryness is totally
> > unacceptable for the amount of money I paid for this card. Maybe if it
was
> > cheapy $50 card it would be acceptable, but not for the several hundred
> > dollars these things go for. If worse comes to worse I'll just go back
> > my
> > old Ti 4200, or perhaps give ATI a try. I'd rather have crisp and clean
> > easy
> > to read 2d than blazing fast 3d at max detail and high resolution. Poor
> > quality 3d is just something I may have to live with.
> >
> > Thanks for any help you guys can offer, I will certainly appreciate it.
> >
> > Cory

January 2, 2005 4:04:56 AM

I just tried clocking my FSB from 175 down to 166... After that it would
boot to 1280x1024@60Hz, but whenever I changed refresh rate it would get
blurry, then even going back to 60Hz it would be blurry. I then uninstalled
and reinstalled the drivers (66.93) and now it is crystal clear at a
retina-burning 60Hz, but at my preferred 85Hz it's blurry as all get out. 70
Hz is only slightly blurry, but anything more is awful. Again, this is
totally unacceptable.

This is like the blurryness I used to get above 1024x768 using my old
Creative Labs Dxvr3 DVD decoder card. The problem with them was that they
were pasthrough design and the decoder card didn't have enough bandiwdth for
higher resolutions so it got blurry. The solution with that was to
disconenct the passthrough so that the hardware decoder was only used for TV
out and if you wanted to watch a movie on the monitor you had to re-connect
it.

Cory

"Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I just upgraded today from a Leadtek Ti4200 to a BFG Tech GeForce 6800 OC
> and my 2d is awful. It's extremely blurry and hard on the eyes. If I lower
> my resolution to 1024x768 it is crisp and clear. My preferred resolutioon
is
> 1280x1024@85hz. I tried adjusting the "Image Sharpening" slider and at two
> ticks to the right it helps a little, but is still very blurry. Also,
> switching from the VGA out to the DVI out with the VGA adaptor seemed to
> slightly decrease the blurryness. Either way though, it's totally
> unacceptable.
>
> Not sure waht the deal is with this but a quick search on google seems
like
> this is a hit or miss problem with most brands of the 6800 line of card.
Is
> there any fix for this? If I can't find a fix and BFG tech support has no
> answer I'm gonna exchange the card and see if anotehr one works. If not I
> may try a different brand of card. This horrid blurryness is totally
> unacceptable for the amount of money I paid for this card. Maybe if it was
> cheapy $50 card it would be acceptable, but not for the several hundred
> dollars these things go for. If worse comes to worse I'll just go back to
my
> old Ti 4200, or perhaps give ATI a try. I'd rather have crisp and clean
easy
> to read 2d than blazing fast 3d at max detail and high resolution. Poor
> quality 3d is just something I may have to live with.
>
> Thanks for any help you guys can offer, I will certainly appreciate it.
>
> Cory

Anonymous
January 2, 2005 4:31:10 AM

LeadTek is somewhat unique in using very high quality analog 2D filters. If
all else fails, return the the BFG 6800 and get a LeadTek 6800. You can also
go ATi... or even Matrox.

That said, make sure it's not some stupid driver problem first. Do you by
any chance have refresh rate override enabled in the nVidia control panels?

"Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I just upgraded today from a Leadtek Ti4200 to a BFG Tech GeForce 6800 OC
> and my 2d is awful. It's extremely blurry and hard on the eyes. If I lower
> my resolution to 1024x768 it is crisp and clear. My preferred resolutioon
is
> 1280x1024@85hz. I tried adjusting the "Image Sharpening" slider and at two
> ticks to the right it helps a little, but is still very blurry. Also,
> switching from the VGA out to the DVI out with the VGA adaptor seemed to
> slightly decrease the blurryness. Either way though, it's totally
> unacceptable.
>
> Not sure waht the deal is with this but a quick search on google seems
like
> this is a hit or miss problem with most brands of the 6800 line of card.
Is
> there any fix for this? If I can't find a fix and BFG tech support has no
> answer I'm gonna exchange the card and see if anotehr one works. If not I
> may try a different brand of card. This horrid blurryness is totally
> unacceptable for the amount of money I paid for this card. Maybe if it was
> cheapy $50 card it would be acceptable, but not for the several hundred
> dollars these things go for. If worse comes to worse I'll just go back to
my
> old Ti 4200, or perhaps give ATI a try. I'd rather have crisp and clean
easy
> to read 2d than blazing fast 3d at max detail and high resolution. Poor
> quality 3d is just something I may have to live with.
>
> Thanks for any help you guys can offer, I will certainly appreciate it.
>
> Cory

Anonymous
January 2, 2005 5:48:56 AM

Yes I do have refresh override enabled... Before I eneabled it though it did
the same thing. With the refresh override I just can't set a different
refresh rate than the one I want at the given resolution. If what you say
about LeakTek is true I may return this BFG card and go with a LeakTek card.

Cory

> LeadTek is somewhat unique in using very high quality analog 2D filters.
If
> all else fails, return the the BFG 6800 and get a LeadTek 6800. You can
also
> go ATi... or even Matrox.
>
> That said, make sure it's not some stupid driver problem first. Do you by
> any chance have refresh rate override enabled in the nVidia control
panels?

> "Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I just upgraded today from a Leadtek Ti4200 to a BFG Tech GeForce 6800
OC
> > and my 2d is awful. It's extremely blurry and hard on the eyes. If I
lower
> > my resolution to 1024x768 it is crisp and clear. My preferred
resolutioon
> is
> > 1280x1024@85hz. I tried adjusting the "Image Sharpening" slider and at
two
> > ticks to the right it helps a little, but is still very blurry. Also,
> > switching from the VGA out to the DVI out with the VGA adaptor seemed to
> > slightly decrease the blurryness. Either way though, it's totally
> > unacceptable.
> >
> > Not sure waht the deal is with this but a quick search on google seems
> like
> > this is a hit or miss problem with most brands of the 6800 line of card.
> Is
> > there any fix for this? If I can't find a fix and BFG tech support has
no
> > answer I'm gonna exchange the card and see if anotehr one works. If not
> > may try a different brand of card. This horrid blurryness is totally
> > unacceptable for the amount of money I paid for this card. Maybe if it
was
> > cheapy $50 card it would be acceptable, but not for the several hundred
> > dollars these things go for. If worse comes to worse I'll just go back
> my
> > old Ti 4200, or perhaps give ATI a try. I'd rather have crisp and clean
> easy
> > to read 2d than blazing fast 3d at max detail and high resolution. Poor
> > quality 3d is just something I may have to live with.
> >
> > Thanks for any help you guys can offer, I will certainly appreciate it.
> >
> > Cory

Anonymous
January 2, 2005 1:47:50 PM

try another monitor for it sounds to me to be more of a monitor issue. if
this isn't the issue then I'd RMA it as it sounds faulty to me.

Robin
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 2:14:39 PM

Called their tech support and they gave me a BS answer. They said "It's a
communication issue between teh motherboard and the video card, or a problem
with the monitor." What a load of BS. The monitor is just fine. I'm going to
try the video card in two other systems I have with different chipsets and I
fully expect to see the same problem. Also, just for the hell of it I'll try
a different monitor. When that doesn't work I'll return it and get a card
froma respectable manufacturer who actually stands behind and backs up
their product instead of blowing off customers who just shelled out several
hundred dollars on what turns out to be a piece of junk.

Cory

"Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I just upgraded today from a Leadtek Ti4200 to a BFG Tech GeForce 6800 OC
> and my 2d is awful. It's extremely blurry and hard on the eyes. If I lower
> my resolution to 1024x768 it is crisp and clear. My preferred resolutioon
is
> 1280x1024@85hz. I tried adjusting the "Image Sharpening" slider and at two
> ticks to the right it helps a little, but is still very blurry. Also,
> switching from the VGA out to the DVI out with the VGA adaptor seemed to
> slightly decrease the blurryness. Either way though, it's totally
> unacceptable.
>
> Not sure waht the deal is with this but a quick search on google seems
like
> this is a hit or miss problem with most brands of the 6800 line of card.
Is
> there any fix for this? If I can't find a fix and BFG tech support has no
> answer I'm gonna exchange the card and see if anotehr one works. If not I
> may try a different brand of card. This horrid blurryness is totally
> unacceptable for the amount of money I paid for this card. Maybe if it was
> cheapy $50 card it would be acceptable, but not for the several hundred
> dollars these things go for. If worse comes to worse I'll just go back to
my
> old Ti 4200, or perhaps give ATI a try. I'd rather have crisp and clean
easy
> to read 2d than blazing fast 3d at max detail and high resolution. Poor
> quality 3d is just something I may have to live with.
>
> Thanks for any help you guys can offer, I will certainly appreciate it.
>
> Cory
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 8:25:53 PM

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/winfastti500/

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/parhelia/page5.asp

LeadTek has been using high-quality filters since the Geforce3 days.

Anandtech once published a guide on *removing* the low-pass filters on video
cards to improve image quality. The procedure is quite effective, but you
will have to put pliers to a $400 video card.

> Called their tech support and they gave me a BS answer. They said "It's a
> communication issue between teh motherboard and the video card, or a
problem
> with the monitor." What a load of BS. The monitor is just fine. I'm going
> try the video card in two other systems I have with different chipsets and
> fully expect to see the same problem. Also, just for the hell of it I'll
try
> a different monitor. When that doesn't work I'll return it and get a card
> froma respectable manufacturer who actually stands behind and backs up
> their product instead of blowing off customers who just shelled out
several
> hundred dollars on what turns out to be a piece of junk.
>
> Cory
>
> "Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I just upgraded today from a Leadtek Ti4200 to a BFG Tech GeForce 6800
OC
> > and my 2d is awful. It's extremely blurry and hard on the eyes. If I
lower
> > my resolution to 1024x768 it is crisp and clear. My preferred
resolutioon
> is
> > 1280x1024@85hz. I tried adjusting the "Image Sharpening" slider and at
two
> > ticks to the right it helps a little, but is still very blurry. Also,
> > switching from the VGA out to the DVI out with the VGA adaptor seemed to
> > slightly decrease the blurryness. Either way though, it's totally
> > unacceptable.
> >
> > Not sure waht the deal is with this but a quick search on google seems
> like
> > this is a hit or miss problem with most brands of the 6800 line of card.
> Is
> > there any fix for this? If I can't find a fix and BFG tech support has
no
> > answer I'm gonna exchange the card and see if anotehr one works. If not
> > may try a different brand of card. This horrid blurryness is totally
> > unacceptable for the amount of money I paid for this card. Maybe if it
was
> > cheapy $50 card it would be acceptable, but not for the several hundred
> > dollars these things go for. If worse comes to worse I'll just go back
> my
> > old Ti 4200, or perhaps give ATI a try. I'd rather have crisp and clean
> easy
> > to read 2d than blazing fast 3d at max detail and high resolution. Poor
> > quality 3d is just something I may have to live with.
> >
> > Thanks for any help you guys can offer, I will certainly appreciate it.
> >
> > Cory

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 1:04:19 AM

I tried manually changing to the different monitor timing formulas and found
that selecting GTF (General Timing Formula) slightly decreased the
blurryness. It's still awful, but with the combination of that and the
"Image Sharpening" it's at least to the point that I can use it. I'm going
to call tech support once more. If they can't help me I'll exchange the card
for another one tomorrow and if that doesn't work I'll return it and decide
on a different card.

Cory

"Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I just upgraded today from a Leadtek Ti4200 to a BFG Tech GeForce 6800 OC
> and my 2d is awful. It's extremely blurry and hard on the eyes. If I lower
> my resolution to 1024x768 it is crisp and clear. My preferred resolutioon
is
> 1280x1024@85hz. I tried adjusting the "Image Sharpening" slider and at two
> ticks to the right it helps a little, but is still very blurry. Also,
> switching from the VGA out to the DVI out with the VGA adaptor seemed to
> slightly decrease the blurryness. Either way though, it's totally
> unacceptable.
>
> Not sure waht the deal is with this but a quick search on google seems
like
> this is a hit or miss problem with most brands of the 6800 line of card.
Is
> there any fix for this? If I can't find a fix and BFG tech support has no
> answer I'm gonna exchange the card and see if anotehr one works. If not I
> may try a different brand of card. This horrid blurryness is totally
> unacceptable for the amount of money I paid for this card. Maybe if it was
> cheapy $50 card it would be acceptable, but not for the several hundred
> dollars these things go for. If worse comes to worse I'll just go back to
my
> old Ti 4200, or perhaps give ATI a try. I'd rather have crisp and clean
easy
> to read 2d than blazing fast 3d at max detail and high resolution. Poor
> quality 3d is just something I may have to live with.
>
> Thanks for any help you guys can offer, I will certainly appreciate it.
>
> Cory
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 1:14:17 AM

> http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/winfastti500/
>
> http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/parhelia/page5.asp
>
> LeadTek has been using high-quality filters since the Geforce3 days.

I think I may end up getting a LeadTek card. I'm still leery about _any_
video card now. I don't know of any local stores that sell LeadTek, and I
don't want to order online for this since I may have to return the card if
it is blurry. I'll get stuck paying for shipping at least twice.

> Anandtech once published a guide on *removing* the low-pass filters on
video
> cards to improve image quality. The procedure is quite effective, but you
> will have to put pliers to a $400 video card.

Yeah, I'm not ready to do that quite yet. I may try though, as if it didn't
fix it I could always put them back on, though if anyone looks closely they
may be albe to tell that I have done something to it and perhaps not accept
the return. The last thing I was is to be out $300 on a video card that is
virtually useless to me. Hell, I'm debating spending $400 for the next step
up of video card if I can't find a decent 6800 locally. May be worth a
try... I don't know what to do.

Cory
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 1:25:32 AM

Just listen to yourself, you make assumptions and have not actually checked
it in other system to ensure that you are correct, just possibly you may be
wrong, either way you seem to be a total dick.

"Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Called their tech support and they gave me a BS answer. They said "It's a
> communication issue between teh motherboard and the video card, or a
> problem
> with the monitor." What a load of BS. The monitor is just fine. I'm going
> try the video card in two other systems I have with different chipsets and
> fully expect to see the same problem. Also, just for the hell of it I'll
> try
> a different monitor. When that doesn't work I'll return it and get a card
> froma respectable manufacturer who actually stands behind and backs up
> their product instead of blowing off customers who just shelled out
> several
> hundred dollars on what turns out to be a piece of junk.
>
> Cory
>
> "Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I just upgraded today from a Leadtek Ti4200 to a BFG Tech GeForce 6800 OC
>> and my 2d is awful. It's extremely blurry and hard on the eyes. If I
>> lower
>> my resolution to 1024x768 it is crisp and clear. My preferred resolutioon
> is
>> 1280x1024@85hz. I tried adjusting the "Image Sharpening" slider and at
>> two
>> ticks to the right it helps a little, but is still very blurry. Also,
>> switching from the VGA out to the DVI out with the VGA adaptor seemed to
>> slightly decrease the blurryness. Either way though, it's totally
>> unacceptable.
>>
>> Not sure waht the deal is with this but a quick search on google seems
> like
>> this is a hit or miss problem with most brands of the 6800 line of card.
> Is
>> there any fix for this? If I can't find a fix and BFG tech support has no
>> answer I'm gonna exchange the card and see if anotehr one works. If not I
>> may try a different brand of card. This horrid blurryness is totally
>> unacceptable for the amount of money I paid for this card. Maybe if it
>> was
>> cheapy $50 card it would be acceptable, but not for the several hundred
>> dollars these things go for. If worse comes to worse I'll just go back to
> my
>> old Ti 4200, or perhaps give ATI a try. I'd rather have crisp and clean
> easy
>> to read 2d than blazing fast 3d at max detail and high resolution. Poor
>> quality 3d is just something I may have to live with.
>>
>> Thanks for any help you guys can offer, I will certainly appreciate it.
>>
>> Cory

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 1:25:33 AM

I'm such a dick that to verify that I was being fed BS I tried my other
monitor with the same results, and also such a dick that I tried the video
card in two other motherboards with different chipsets and had the same
problem. I also tried adjusting all the BIOS options tht could conceivably
have anything to do with the video card. Nothing fixed it, yet I was told
that if I was to try the card on a few other motherboards it should work
fine.

I know when I'm being fed BS. I've been building and working on computers
since I was 10, playing with them and installing operating systems several
years before that. I'm an MCSE and have some experience with various Linux
operating systems and Cisco hardware. I also have a little knowledge of
electrical circuits and have done a decent amount of soldering and
miscellaneous electrical work. Computer related includes several voltage
modifications, making two 'golden fingers' devices, changing some ATA/66
cards to RAID cards, making a 5/7/12 volt setup for all the fans in my
system and mounting it nicely in a drive bay, and miscellaneous other little
projects.

Sorry if I call someone on their BS and you don't like it, but I know when
I'm being fed BS. The response I was given was one of someone not wanting to
do anything to help, and not even wanting to give so much as a decent
explanation as to what the problem is. I guess I'm just a total dick. Oh
well, so be it.

Cory

> [...]
> >> there any fix for this? If I can't find a fix and BFG tech support has
no
> >> answer I'm gonna exchange the card and see if anotehr one works. If not
> >> may try a different brand of card. This horrid blurryness is totally
> >> unacceptable for the amount of money I paid for this card. Maybe if it
> >> was
> >> cheapy $50 card it would be acceptable, but not for the several hundred
> >> dollars these things go for. If worse comes to worse I'll just go back
> > my
> >> old Ti 4200, or perhaps give ATI a try. I'd rather have crisp and clean
> > easy
> >> to read 2d than blazing fast 3d at max detail and high resolution. Poor
> >> quality 3d is just something I may have to live with.
> >>
> >> Thanks for any help you guys can offer, I will certainly appreciate it.

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 2:01:12 AM

I just talked to two more techs. The first told me to try using a driver
cleaner. I didn't like the sound of that but he insisted so I tried the one
he recommended. It deleted a folder I had with about 400 MB worth of video
drivers for various video cards. Wonderful... Anyhow, it of course didn't
fix the problem.

The second one said that it had to be a hardware problem being as how
nothing I tried fixed it. Said the card was probably defective and offered
to do an RMA for me. I told him I'd jsut exchange it where I got it and see
if that fixed it.

Cory

"Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I just upgraded today from a Leadtek Ti4200 to a BFG Tech GeForce 6800 OC
> and my 2d is awful. It's extremely blurry and hard on the eyes. If I lower
> my resolution to 1024x768 it is crisp and clear. My preferred resolutioon
is
> 1280x1024@85hz. I tried adjusting the "Image Sharpening" slider and at two
> ticks to the right it helps a little, but is still very blurry. Also,
> switching from the VGA out to the DVI out with the VGA adaptor seemed to
> slightly decrease the blurryness. Either way though, it's totally
> unacceptable.
>
> Not sure waht the deal is with this but a quick search on google seems
like
> this is a hit or miss problem with most brands of the 6800 line of card.
Is
> there any fix for this? If I can't find a fix and BFG tech support has no
> answer I'm gonna exchange the card and see if anotehr one works. If not I
> may try a different brand of card. This horrid blurryness is totally
> unacceptable for the amount of money I paid for this card. Maybe if it was
> cheapy $50 card it would be acceptable, but not for the several hundred
> dollars these things go for. If worse comes to worse I'll just go back to
my
> old Ti 4200, or perhaps give ATI a try. I'd rather have crisp and clean
easy
> to read 2d than blazing fast 3d at max detail and high resolution. Poor
> quality 3d is just something I may have to live with.
>
> Thanks for any help you guys can offer, I will certainly appreciate it.
>
> Cory

January 3, 2005 2:13:23 AM

I think its your monitor..thats my guess...

> [...]
>> > there any fix for this? If I can't find a fix and BFG tech support has
> no
>> > answer I'm gonna exchange the card and see if anotehr one works. If not
>> > may try a different brand of card. This horrid blurryness is totally
>> > unacceptable for the amount of money I paid for this card. Maybe if it
> was
>> > cheapy $50 card it would be acceptable, but not for the several hundred
>> > dollars these things go for. If worse comes to worse I'll just go back
>> my
>> > old Ti 4200, or perhaps give ATI a try. I'd rather have crisp and clean
>> easy
>> > to read 2d than blazing fast 3d at max detail and high resolution. Poor
>> > quality 3d is just something I may have to live with.
>> >
>> > Thanks for any help you guys can offer, I will certainly appreciate it.

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 2:13:24 AM

Monitor is a Viewsonic P775. Nothing wrong with it as it works fine with my
old video card, and also with a handful of other computers I periodically
use it with. The only thing changed was the video card, which results in the
blurry text.

Cory

"Chingy" <lakiri@lakara.com> wrote in message
> I think its your monitor..thats my guess...
>

> "Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Yes I do have refresh override enabled... Before I eneabled it though it
> > did
> > the same thing. With the refresh override I just can't set a different
> > refresh rate than the one I want at the given resolution. If what you
say
> > about LeakTek is true I may return this BFG card and go with a LeakTek
> > card.
> >
> > Cory
> >
> > "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> LeadTek is somewhat unique in using very high quality analog 2D
filters.
> > If
> >> all else fails, return the the BFG 6800 and get a LeadTek 6800. You can
> > also
> >> go ATi... or even Matrox.
> >>
> >> That said, make sure it's not some stupid driver problem first. Do you
by
> >> any chance have refresh rate override enabled in the nVidia control
> > panels?
> >>
> >> --
> >> "War is the continuation of politics by other means.
> >> It can therefore be said that politics is war without
> >> bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
> >>

> >> "Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > OC
> > lower
> > resolutioon
> >> is
> > two

> >> like
> >> Is
> > no
> > was
> >> my
> >> easy
Poor

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 2:13:55 AM

Cory, I have a BFG and the 2d is very good. Exchange it I think you just got
a bad one which unfortunately happens.

Good Luck

>I just talked to two more techs. The first told me to try using a driver
> cleaner. I didn't like the sound of that but he insisted so I tried the
> one
> he recommended. It deleted a folder I had with about 400 MB worth of video
> drivers for various video cards. Wonderful... Anyhow, it of course didn't
> fix the problem.
>
> The second one said that it had to be a hardware problem being as how
> nothing I tried fixed it. Said the card was probably defective and offered
> to do an RMA for me. I told him I'd jsut exchange it where I got it and
> see
> if that fixed it.
>
> Cory
>
> "Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I just upgraded today from a Leadtek Ti4200 to a BFG Tech GeForce 6800 OC
>> and my 2d is awful. It's extremely blurry and hard on the eyes. If I
>> lower
>> my resolution to 1024x768 it is crisp and clear. My preferred resolutioon
> is
>> 1280x1024@85hz. I tried adjusting the "Image Sharpening" slider and at
>> two
>> ticks to the right it helps a little, but is still very blurry. Also,
>> switching from the VGA out to the DVI out with the VGA adaptor seemed to
>> slightly decrease the blurryness. Either way though, it's totally
>> unacceptable.
>>
>> Not sure waht the deal is with this but a quick search on google seems
> like
>> this is a hit or miss problem with most brands of the 6800 line of card.
> Is
>> there any fix for this? If I can't find a fix and BFG tech support has no
>> answer I'm gonna exchange the card and see if anotehr one works. If not I
>> may try a different brand of card. This horrid blurryness is totally
>> unacceptable for the amount of money I paid for this card. Maybe if it
>> was
>> cheapy $50 card it would be acceptable, but not for the several hundred
>> dollars these things go for. If worse comes to worse I'll just go back to
> my
>> old Ti 4200, or perhaps give ATI a try. I'd rather have crisp and clean
> easy
>> to read 2d than blazing fast 3d at max detail and high resolution. Poor
>> quality 3d is just something I may have to live with.
>>
>> Thanks for any help you guys can offer, I will certainly appreciate it.
>>
>> Cory

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 2:19:43 AM

What resolution and refresh rate do you run at?

Cory

"John McCoy" <johnm160athotmail.com> wrote in message
> Cory, I have a BFG and the 2d is very good. Exchange it I think you just
got
> a bad one which unfortunately happens.
>
> Good Luck
>

> "Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >I just talked to two more techs. The first told me to try using a driver
> > cleaner. I didn't like the sound of that but he insisted so I tried the
> > one
> > he recommended. It deleted a folder I had with about 400 MB worth of
video
> > drivers for various video cards. Wonderful... Anyhow, it of course
didn't
> > fix the problem.
> >
> > The second one said that it had to be a hardware problem being as how
> > nothing I tried fixed it. Said the card was probably defective and
offered
> > to do an RMA for me. I told him I'd jsut exchange it where I got it and
> > see
> > if that fixed it.
> >
> > Cory
> >
> > "Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> I just upgraded today from a Leadtek Ti4200 to a BFG Tech GeForce 6800
OC
> >> and my 2d is awful. It's extremely blurry and hard on the eyes. If I
> >> lower
> >> my resolution to 1024x768 it is crisp and clear. My preferred
resolutioon
> > is
> >> 1280x1024@85hz. I tried adjusting the "Image Sharpening" slider and at
> >> two
> >> ticks to the right it helps a little, but is still very blurry. Also,
> >> switching from the VGA out to the DVI out with the VGA adaptor seemed
> >> slightly decrease the blurryness. Either way though, it's totally
> >> unacceptable.
> >>
> >> Not sure waht the deal is with this but a quick search on google seems
> > like
> >> this is a hit or miss problem with most brands of the 6800 line of
card.
> > Is
> >> there any fix for this? If I can't find a fix and BFG tech support has
no
> >> answer I'm gonna exchange the card and see if anotehr one works. If not
> >> may try a different brand of card. This horrid blurryness is totally
> >> unacceptable for the amount of money I paid for this card. Maybe if it
> >> was
> >> cheapy $50 card it would be acceptable, but not for the several hundred
> >> dollars these things go for. If worse comes to worse I'll just go back
> > my
> >> old Ti 4200, or perhaps give ATI a try. I'd rather have crisp and clean
> > easy
> >> to read 2d than blazing fast 3d at max detail and high resolution. Poor
> >> quality 3d is just something I may have to live with.
> >>
> >> Thanks for any help you guys can offer, I will certainly appreciate it.
> >>
> >> Cory

January 3, 2005 2:27:07 PM

Cory Dunkle wrote:

> I just upgraded today from a Leadtek Ti4200 to a BFG Tech GeForce 6800 OC
> and my 2d is awful. It's extremely blurry and hard on the eyes. If I lower
> my resolution to 1024x768 it is crisp and clear.

I think it had to do with sub-par filters that somehow have ended on
6800 cards by some manufacturers. Leadtek I've always liked for their
clear image quality. I had a GeForce 5900XT by Leadtek and it provided
better picture than my Radeon 9800 Pro. But I don't know if even their
GeForce 6 serie is up to snuff anymore.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 3:34:54 PM

I just got back from exchanging the card. The new one is much better, but
still blurry even with the image correction stuff. I think this I could live
with, but I don't know that I want to. I'll keep it for a few days and see
how I feel. In the mean time I'll look for a good deal on a LeadTek 6800 or
6800GT...

Oh, one other thing. That first card I got had been opened and returned
previously. It was re shrink wrapped and sold to me as new. The CDs that
came with the new card were shrink wrapped, the old ones weren't Also the
new one came with several more CDs, a few games.

Cory

"Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I just upgraded today from a Leadtek Ti4200 to a BFG Tech GeForce 6800 OC
> and my 2d is awful. It's extremely blurry and hard on the eyes. If I lower
> my resolution to 1024x768 it is crisp and clear. My preferred resolutioon
is
> 1280x1024@85hz. I tried adjusting the "Image Sharpening" slider and at two
> ticks to the right it helps a little, but is still very blurry. Also,
> switching from the VGA out to the DVI out with the VGA adaptor seemed to
> slightly decrease the blurryness. Either way though, it's totally
> unacceptable.
>
> Not sure waht the deal is with this but a quick search on google seems
like
> this is a hit or miss problem with most brands of the 6800 line of card.
Is
> there any fix for this? If I can't find a fix and BFG tech support has no
> answer I'm gonna exchange the card and see if anotehr one works. If not I
> may try a different brand of card. This horrid blurryness is totally
> unacceptable for the amount of money I paid for this card. Maybe if it was
> cheapy $50 card it would be acceptable, but not for the several hundred
> dollars these things go for. If worse comes to worse I'll just go back to
my
> old Ti 4200, or perhaps give ATI a try. I'd rather have crisp and clean
easy
> to read 2d than blazing fast 3d at max detail and high resolution. Poor
> quality 3d is just something I may have to live with.
>
> Thanks for any help you guys can offer, I will certainly appreciate it.
>
> Cory

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 5:16:17 PM

I checked my voltage from the power supply and in the BIOs it read +5v =
~4.75v and +12v = ~11.5v. MBM reads +5v as ~5.75v and +12v as ~11v. Could
this be causing the problem with blurry 2d?? I think I'm gonna try a few
other power supplies I have laying around and see if one will bring the 12v
up to 12v or higher.

Cory

"Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I just upgraded today from a Leadtek Ti4200 to a BFG Tech GeForce 6800 OC
> and my 2d is awful. It's extremely blurry and hard on the eyes. If I lower
> my resolution to 1024x768 it is crisp and clear. My preferred resolutioon
is
> 1280x1024@85hz. I tried adjusting the "Image Sharpening" slider and at two
> ticks to the right it helps a little, but is still very blurry. Also,
> switching from the VGA out to the DVI out with the VGA adaptor seemed to
> slightly decrease the blurryness. Either way though, it's totally
> unacceptable.
>
> Not sure waht the deal is with this but a quick search on google seems
like
> this is a hit or miss problem with most brands of the 6800 line of card.
Is
> there any fix for this? If I can't find a fix and BFG tech support has no
> answer I'm gonna exchange the card and see if anotehr one works. If not I
> may try a different brand of card. This horrid blurryness is totally
> unacceptable for the amount of money I paid for this card. Maybe if it was
> cheapy $50 card it would be acceptable, but not for the several hundred
> dollars these things go for. If worse comes to worse I'll just go back to
my
> old Ti 4200, or perhaps give ATI a try. I'd rather have crisp and clean
easy
> to read 2d than blazing fast 3d at max detail and high resolution. Poor
> quality 3d is just something I may have to live with.
>
> Thanks for any help you guys can offer, I will certainly appreciate it.
>
> Cory

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 7:34:44 PM

Cory Dunkle wrote:

> I checked my voltage from the power supply and in the BIOs it read
> +5v = ~4.75v and +12v = ~11.5v. MBM reads +5v as ~5.75v and +12v as
> ~11v. Could this be causing the problem with blurry 2d?? I think I'm
> gonna try a few other power supplies I have laying around and see if
> one will bring the 12v up to 12v or higher.

Interesting. Just for the hell of it I checked mine while the PC was doing
nothing but writing this. All voltages were slightly above nominal values,
3.41, 5.19 & 12.16. No idea how much different they'd be under greater load,
but yours do seem a little puny. Maybe someone here might know the effect of
low voltage on the sharpness of a display.

Nevertheless, even if it turns out it's voltage related the problem resulted
in your having gotten the proper package with your card.

--
dvus
Anonymous

"dvus" <dven1invalid@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Cory Dunkle wrote:
>
> > I checked my voltage from the power supply and in the BIOs it read
> > +5v = ~4.75v and +12v = ~11.5v. MBM reads +5v as ~5.75v and +12v as
> > ~11v. Could this be causing the problem with blurry 2d?? I think I'm
> > gonna try a few other power supplies I have laying around and see if
> > one will bring the 12v up to 12v or higher.
>
> Interesting. Just for the hell of it I checked mine while the PC was doing
> nothing but writing this. All voltages were slightly above nominal values,
> 3.41, 5.19 & 12.16. No idea how much different they'd be under greater
load,
> but yours do seem a little puny. Maybe someone here might know the effect
of
> low voltage on the sharpness of a display.
>
> Nevertheless, even if it turns out it's voltage related the problem
resulted
> in your having gotten the proper package with your card.

I just tried another power supply. Voltages with that one are slightly above
5v and 12v. The card still does the same thing, blurry/fuzzy 2d at over
1280x1024@60Hz. I'm on hold waiting for the techies again... We'll see what
they say.

Last one while Iw as on hold I noticed the low voltage and wondered if that
may affect it. When he came back he said he talked to someone who had helped
fix a case of blurry/fuzzy 2d and the problem was low voltage. In any case,
that didn't fix it. I'll try whatever else they suggest and see how that
works out.

The thing that peeves me is I paid a good bit of moeny for that power
supply. I got it a few years ago. It's a 431 watt Enermax with the gold
connectors and dual temperature controlled fans. Back then 431 watts was way
overkill, but I got it so it would last me for the future. It's been with 4
different motherboards now. In any case, despite the low voltage it doesn't
seem to be the problem.

Cory
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 8:20:24 PM

I run at 1280x1024 @ 60hz...I have an LCD monitor.

> What resolution and refresh rate do you run at?
>
> Cory
>
> "John McCoy" <johnm160athotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Cory, I have a BFG and the 2d is very good. Exchange it I think you just
> got
>> a bad one which unfortunately happens.
>>
>> Good Luck
>>

>> "Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> >I just talked to two more techs. The first told me to try using a driver
>> > cleaner. I didn't like the sound of that but he insisted so I tried the
>> > one
>> > he recommended. It deleted a folder I had with about 400 MB worth of
> video
>> > drivers for various video cards. Wonderful... Anyhow, it of course
> didn't
>> > fix the problem.
>> >
>> > The second one said that it had to be a hardware problem being as how
>> > nothing I tried fixed it. Said the card was probably defective and
> offered
>> > to do an RMA for me. I told him I'd jsut exchange it where I got it and
>> > see
>> > if that fixed it.
>> >
>> > Cory
>> >
>> > "Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
> OC
> resolutioon
>> > is

>> > like
> card.
>> > Is
> no
>> > my
>> > easy

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 8:26:21 PM

Do you use the DVI port or the analog port?

"John McCoy" <johnm160athotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D OCdnTyCGtS0WETcRVn-qA@comcast.com...
> I run at 1280x1024 @ 60hz...I have an LCD monitor.
>

> "Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > What resolution and refresh rate do you run at?
> >
> > Cory
> >
> > "John McCoy" <johnm160athotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Cory, I have a BFG and the 2d is very good. Exchange it I think you
just
> > got
> >> a bad one which unfortunately happens.
> >>
> >> Good Luck
> >>

> >> "Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > video
> > didn't

> > offered

> > OC
> > resolutioon
Also,

> > card.
> > no

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 8:35:36 PM

I talked to another tech just now and he pretty much said he doesn't know.
He went and asked some otehr techs and no one had an answer. The best they
could come up with is that it may be dirty power in my house. That seems
doubtful. Even if that was plausable, one of the systems I tried the card in
is on all new wiring from the pole outside through a seperate box in the
basement.

In any case, I think I'm gonna return the card and try a different brand.
Tech support has no answer. It may just be luck of the draw as to the
quality of the card. I doubt after two cards it's a problem with this
individual card. Oh well, hopefully I have no trouble returning it.

Cory

"Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I just upgraded today from a Leadtek Ti4200 to a BFG Tech GeForce 6800 OC
> and my 2d is awful. It's extremely blurry and hard on the eyes. If I lower
> my resolution to 1024x768 it is crisp and clear. My preferred resolutioon
is
> 1280x1024@85hz. I tried adjusting the "Image Sharpening" slider and at two
> ticks to the right it helps a little, but is still very blurry. Also,
> switching from the VGA out to the DVI out with the VGA adaptor seemed to
> slightly decrease the blurryness. Either way though, it's totally
> unacceptable.
>
> Not sure waht the deal is with this but a quick search on google seems
like
> this is a hit or miss problem with most brands of the 6800 line of card.
Is
> there any fix for this? If I can't find a fix and BFG tech support has no
> answer I'm gonna exchange the card and see if anotehr one works. If not I
> may try a different brand of card. This horrid blurryness is totally
> unacceptable for the amount of money I paid for this card. Maybe if it was
> cheapy $50 card it would be acceptable, but not for the several hundred
> dollars these things go for. If worse comes to worse I'll just go back to
my
> old Ti 4200, or perhaps give ATI a try. I'd rather have crisp and clean
easy
> to read 2d than blazing fast 3d at max detail and high resolution. Poor
> quality 3d is just something I may have to live with.
>
> Thanks for any help you guys can offer, I will certainly appreciate it.
>
> Cory
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 8:36:55 PM

The reason I ask is that DVI is all digital and skips over the digital to
analog converter and filters, and therefore is not affected by the quality
of those components as a standard 15 pin analog monitor is.

Cory

> Do you use the DVI port or the analog port?
>
> "John McCoy" <johnm160athotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:D OCdnTyCGtS0WETcRVn-qA@comcast.com...
> > I run at 1280x1024 @ 60hz...I have an LCD monitor.
> >

> > "Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > > What resolution and refresh rate do you run at?
> > >
> > > Cory
> > >
> > > "John McCoy" <johnm160athotmail.com> wrote in message
> just
> > > got

> driver
> the
> > > video
> > > didn't

> > > offered
> and

> 6800
> > > OC
> > > resolutioon
> at
> Also,
> seemed

> seems
> > > card.
> has
> > > no
If
> it
> back

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 10:43:24 PM

I am using DVI. Are you using the adapter from andalog to DVI?

"Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Do you use the DVI port or the analog port?
>
> "John McCoy" <johnm160athotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:D OCdnTyCGtS0WETcRVn-qA@comcast.com...
>> I run at 1280x1024 @ 60hz...I have an LCD monitor.
>>

>> "Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > What resolution and refresh rate do you run at?
>> >
>> > Cory
>> >
>> > "John McCoy" <johnm160athotmail.com> wrote in message
> just
>> > got

> driver
> the
>> > video
>> > didn't

>> > offered
> and

> 6800
>> > OC
>> > resolutioon
> at
> Also,
> seemed

> seems
>> > card.
> has
>> > no
> it
> back

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 10:48:38 PM

That is why you do not have any image quality problems. The signal is
entirely digital. I believe the problem is BFG skimped on the DAC, resulting
in awful image quality unless you use a DVI capable monitor. Uding the DVI
to analog adaptor doesn't solve the problem as that adaptor only runs off
the analog pins of the DVI port. in other words, it's getting an analog
singla from the card. The adaptor itself does not convert the digital signal
to analog. Unforunately at this point it seems like my only option is to
return the card and get a different brand.

> I am using DVI. Are you using the adapter from andalog to DVI?
>

> "Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Do you use the DVI port or the analog port?
> >
> > "John McCoy" <johnm160athotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:D OCdnTyCGtS0WETcRVn-qA@comcast.com...
> >> I run at 1280x1024 @ 60hz...I have an LCD monitor.
> >>

> >> "Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message

> > just

> > driver
> > the

> > and

> > 6800
If
> > at
> > Also,
> > seemed

> > seems
> > has
If
> > it
> > back

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 10:59:45 PM

Looks that way, good luck...

> That is why you do not have any image quality problems. The signal is
> entirely digital. I believe the problem is BFG skimped on the DAC,
> resulting
> in awful image quality unless you use a DVI capable monitor. Uding the DVI
> to analog adaptor doesn't solve the problem as that adaptor only runs off
> the analog pins of the DVI port. in other words, it's getting an analog
> singla from the card. The adaptor itself does not convert the digital
> signal
> to analog. Unforunately at this point it seems like my only option is to
> return the card and get a different brand.
>
> Cory
>
> "John McCoy" <johnm160athotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I am using DVI. Are you using the adapter from andalog to DVI?
>>

>> "Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > Do you use the DVI port or the analog port?
>> >
>> > "John McCoy" <johnm160athotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > news:D OCdnTyCGtS0WETcRVn-qA@comcast.com...

>> > just

>> > driver
> tried
>> > the
> of

> it
>> > and

>> > 6800
> If
> and
>> > at
>> > Also,
>> > seemed

>> > seems
> of
> support
>> > has
> If
> if
>> > it
>> > back
> resolution.

> appreciate

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 3:42:34 AM

The BIOS/SMBus measurements are not necessarily that precise. The only way
to know for sure is measure at the Molex connector with a good multimeter.

Antec even makes a TrueControl series of PSUs that let the user adjust the
voltage on each rail to +/- 0.01 V with an oscilloscope... for the EE
freaks.

And if a video card doesn't cooperate with a 400 W Enermax or Antec, it's
the video card's problem. :-)

> I checked my voltage from the power supply and in the BIOs it read +5v =
> ~4.75v and +12v = ~11.5v. MBM reads +5v as ~5.75v and +12v as ~11v. Could
> this be causing the problem with blurry 2d?? I think I'm gonna try a few
> other power supplies I have laying around and see if one will bring the
12v
> up to 12v or higher.
>
> Cory
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 7:58:46 AM

It sounds like it may be a monitor issue.
Have you tried switching out the monitor to see if the problem continues?
Sometimes a particular video card / monitor combination doesn't mix.

"Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message news:89CdneikxZzUkkXcRVn-hw@comcast.com...
> Monitor is a Viewsonic P775. Nothing wrong with it as it works fine with my
> old video card, and also with a handful of other computers I periodically
> use it with. The only thing changed was the video card, which results in the
> blurry text.
>
> Cory
>
> "Chingy" <lakiri@lakara.com> wrote in message
>> I think its your monitor..thats my guess...
>>

>> "Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > Yes I do have refresh override enabled... Before I eneabled it though it
>> > did
>> > the same thing. With the refresh override I just can't set a different
>> > refresh rate than the one I want at the given resolution. If what you
> say
>> > about LeakTek is true I may return this BFG card and go with a LeakTek
>> > card.
>> >
>> > Cory
>> >
>> > "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> filters.
>> > If
>> > also

> by
>> > panels?

> 6800
>> > OC
>> > lower
>> > resolutioon
> at
>> > two

> seems
> has
>> > no
> not
> it
>> > was
> hundred
> back
> clean
> Poor

> it.

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 7:58:47 AM

Yes I've tried a different monitor, and also tried all the different monitor
timing modes. Doesn't fix it. It seems to be a problem with the card.

Cory

"John Eckart" <JEckart@mail.com> wrote in message
It sounds like it may be a monitor issue.
Have you tried switching out the monitor to see if the problem continues?
Sometimes a particular video card / monitor combination doesn't mix.

"Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Monitor is a Viewsonic P775. Nothing wrong with it as it works fine with
my
> old video card, and also with a handful of other computers I periodically
> use it with. The only thing changed was the video card, which results in
the
> blurry text.
>
> Cory
>
> "Chingy" <lakiri@lakara.com> wrote in message
>> I think its your monitor..thats my guess...
>>

>> "Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > Yes I do have refresh override enabled... Before I eneabled it though
it
>> > did
>> > the same thing. With the refresh override I just can't set a different
>> > refresh rate than the one I want at the given resolution. If what you
> say
>> > about LeakTek is true I may return this BFG card and go with a LeakTek
>> > card.
>> >
>> > Cory
>> >
>> > "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> filters.
>> > If
>> > also

> by
>> > panels?

> 6800
>> > OC
>> > lower
>> > resolutioon
> at
>> > two
Also,

> seems
> has
>> > no
> not
> it
>> > was
> hundred
> back
> clean
> Poor

> it.

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 1:36:33 PM

Just a little extra tidbit of information. I was suspecting the 3d was
blurry too, but couldn't tell for sure until I played Rome: Total War today
at 1280x960@85Hz. The text was very blurry, as well as units and pictures.
Again, totally unacceptable for a $300 video card.

Cory

"Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I just upgraded today from a Leadtek Ti4200 to a BFG Tech GeForce 6800 OC
> and my 2d is awful. It's extremely blurry and hard on the eyes. If I lower
> my resolution to 1024x768 it is crisp and clear. My preferred resolutioon
is
> 1280x1024@85hz. I tried adjusting the "Image Sharpening" slider and at two
> ticks to the right it helps a little, but is still very blurry. Also,
> switching from the VGA out to the DVI out with the VGA adaptor seemed to
> slightly decrease the blurryness. Either way though, it's totally
> unacceptable.
>
> Not sure waht the deal is with this but a quick search on google seems
like
> this is a hit or miss problem with most brands of the 6800 line of card.
Is
> there any fix for this? If I can't find a fix and BFG tech support has no
> answer I'm gonna exchange the card and see if anotehr one works. If not I
> may try a different brand of card. This horrid blurryness is totally
> unacceptable for the amount of money I paid for this card. Maybe if it was
> cheapy $50 card it would be acceptable, but not for the several hundred
> dollars these things go for. If worse comes to worse I'll just go back to
my
> old Ti 4200, or perhaps give ATI a try. I'd rather have crisp and clean
easy
> to read 2d than blazing fast 3d at max detail and high resolution. Poor
> quality 3d is just something I may have to live with.
>
> Thanks for any help you guys can offer, I will certainly appreciate it.
>
> Cory
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 1:45:52 PM

I have a decent digital multimeter, so I'll check it out.

As for the video card... I'm not very happy with it. it's definitely going
back... After another day or two of enjoying games being silky smooth. :)
I'm also trying to find a store that has any different brand of 6800 or
6800GT in stock, as I hate to go back to my Ti4200.

Cory

> The BIOS/SMBus measurements are not necessarily that precise. The only way
> to know for sure is measure at the Molex connector with a good multimeter.
>
> Antec even makes a TrueControl series of PSUs that let the user adjust the
> voltage on each rail to +/- 0.01 V with an oscilloscope... for the EE
> freaks.
>
> And if a video card doesn't cooperate with a 400 W Enermax or Antec, it's
> the video card's problem. :-)
>
> "Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I checked my voltage from the power supply and in the BIOs it read +5v =
> > ~4.75v and +12v = ~11.5v. MBM reads +5v as ~5.75v and +12v as ~11v.
Could
> > this be causing the problem with blurry 2d?? I think I'm gonna try a few
> > other power supplies I have laying around and see if one will bring the
> 12v
> > up to 12v or higher.
> >
> > Cory

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 2:57:06 PM

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 19:48:38 -0500, "Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net>
wrote:

>That is why you do not have any image quality problems. The signal is
>entirely digital. I believe the problem is BFG skimped on the DAC, resulting
>in awful image quality unless you use a DVI capable monitor. Uding the DVI
>to analog adaptor doesn't solve the problem as that adaptor only runs off
>the analog pins of the DVI port. in other words, it's getting an analog
>singla from the card. The adaptor itself does not convert the digital signal
>to analog. Unforunately at this point it seems like my only option is to
>return the card and get a different brand.
>
> Cory

I doubt that all BFG 6800's exhibit the same problem. The more likely
possibility is that your particular card may have a bad DAC component.
Why don't you just try and get a (free) replacement?
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 4:29:29 PM

Of course, they go through the same analog connection. It is often referred
to as "2D" image quality because the problem demonstrates itself most
annoyingly with Windows text.

BTW, the RAMDAC itself is integrated into the GPU. The blurriness is caused
by the filters/amplifiers on the PCB. The DVI port takes another line from
the GPU that is digital.

> Just a little extra tidbit of information. I was suspecting the 3d was
> blurry too, but couldn't tell for sure until I played Rome: Total War
today
> at 1280x960@85Hz. The text was very blurry, as well as units and pictures.
> Again, totally unacceptable for a $300 video card.
>
> Cory
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 9:47:12 PM

"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 19:48:38 -0500, "Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> >That is why you do not have any image quality problems. The signal is
> >entirely digital. I believe the problem is BFG skimped on the DAC,
resulting
> >in awful image quality unless you use a DVI capable monitor. Uding the
DVI
> >to analog adaptor doesn't solve the problem as that adaptor only runs off
> >the analog pins of the DVI port. in other words, it's getting an analog
> >singla from the card. The adaptor itself does not convert the digital
signal
> >to analog. Unforunately at this point it seems like my only option is to
> >return the card and get a different brand.
> >
> > Cory
>
> I doubt that all BFG 6800's exhibit the same problem. The more likely
> possibility is that your particular card may have a bad DAC component.
> Why don't you just try and get a (free) replacement?

I did. I swapped it out and the second one was slightly better, but still
totally unacceptable. It is a big strain on the eyes in either 2d or
especially 3d when there is text to read at 1280x960@85 Hz, or higher.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 3:19:26 PM

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 18:47:12 -0500, "Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net>
wrote:

>"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 19:48:38 -0500, "Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >That is why you do not have any image quality problems. The signal is
>> >entirely digital. I believe the problem is BFG skimped on the DAC,
>resulting
>> >in awful image quality unless you use a DVI capable monitor. Uding the
>DVI
>> >to analog adaptor doesn't solve the problem as that adaptor only runs off
>> >the analog pins of the DVI port. in other words, it's getting an analog
>> >singla from the card. The adaptor itself does not convert the digital
>signal
>> >to analog. Unforunately at this point it seems like my only option is to
>> >return the card and get a different brand.
>> >
>> > Cory
>>
>> I doubt that all BFG 6800's exhibit the same problem. The more likely
>> possibility is that your particular card may have a bad DAC component.
>> Why don't you just try and get a (free) replacement?
>
>I did. I swapped it out and the second one was slightly better, but still
>totally unacceptable. It is a big strain on the eyes in either 2d or
>especially 3d when there is text to read at 1280x960@85 Hz, or higher.

Ah. Not good. I have a 6800 GT from EVGA, and don't have any
problems, in case you're looking for other vendors. Good luck.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 3:27:12 PM

> On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 18:47:12 -0500, "Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> >"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message

> >resulting
> >DVI
> >signal

> >> I doubt that all BFG 6800's exhibit the same problem. The more likely
> >> possibility is that your particular card may have a bad DAC component.
> >> Why don't you just try and get a (free) replacement?
> >
> >I did. I swapped it out and the second one was slightly better, but still
> >totally unacceptable. It is a big strain on the eyes in either 2d or
> >especially 3d when there is text to read at 1280x960@85 Hz, or higher.
>
> Ah. Not good. I have a 6800 GT from EVGA, and don't have any
> problems, in case you're looking for other vendors. Good luck.

Thanks... If I find an eVGA card I'll give it a try.
January 8, 2005 11:36:00 PM

"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 18:47:12 -0500, "Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>>"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message

>>resulting
>>DVI
>>signal

>>> I doubt that all BFG 6800's exhibit the same problem. The more likely
>>> possibility is that your particular card may have a bad DAC component.
>>> Why don't you just try and get a (free) replacement?
>>
>>I did. I swapped it out and the second one was slightly better, but still
>>totally unacceptable. It is a big strain on the eyes in either 2d or
>>especially 3d when there is text to read at 1280x960@85 Hz, or higher.
>
> Ah. Not good. I have a 6800 GT from EVGA, and don't have any
> problems, in case you're looking for other vendors. Good luck.

Same here. I put an EVGA 6800 (vanilla) in my son's machine so that we can
enjoy the full glory thatis Half-Life 2, and as it happens, I'm also very
pleased with the 2D quality. I've always been wary of Nvidia cards for
anything where the primary use of the computer is anything but gaming, as
I've had bad luck with 2D quality in past years. Much depends on the
individual manufacturer, however, so it pays to check around first and learn
what others are saying about their cards. Prior to this EVGA card, the
system had a EVGA 5700 Ultra, and it too had good 2D text at higher
resolutions.

For gamers, though, nothing beats the GeForce cards. I've had too much
trouble with the slightly older games and various ATI cards in recent years.
They don't seem to be as trouble-free as the GeForce cards, which always
seem to run just about any game with no hassle at all. In my own machine, I
have an ATI 9600 Pro because I need terrific 2D, and I play only an
occasional game on my system, so decent 3D power is there if I need it.
With my son's machine now being the primary gaming machine, I may even
switch back to a Matrox someday and make my machine a pure business/work
computer. Matrox still rules the 2D world for quality and speed.
January 12, 2005 1:56:18 AM

> I'm such a dick that to verify that I was being fed BS I tried my other
> monitor with the same results, and also such a dick that I tried the video
> card in two other motherboards with different chipsets and had the same
> problem. I also tried adjusting all the BIOS options tht could conceivably
> have anything to do with the video card. Nothing fixed it, yet I was told
> that if I was to try the card on a few other motherboards it should work
> fine.
>
> I know when I'm being fed BS. I've been building and working on computers
> since I was 10, playing with them and installing operating systems several
> years before that. I'm an MCSE and have some experience with various Linux
> operating systems and Cisco hardware. I also have a little knowledge of
> electrical circuits and have done a decent amount of soldering and
> miscellaneous electrical work. Computer related includes several voltage
> modifications, making two 'golden fingers' devices, changing some ATA/66
> cards to RAID cards, making a 5/7/12 volt setup for all the fans in my
> system and mounting it nicely in a drive bay, and miscellaneous other
> little
> projects.
>
> Sorry if I call someone on their BS and you don't like it, but I know when
> I'm being fed BS. The response I was given was one of someone not wanting
> do anything to help, and not even wanting to give so much as a decent
> explanation as to what the problem is. I guess I'm just a total dick. Oh
> well, so be it.

Don't worry about it. Some people were put on this Earth to be total dicks.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 5:44:49 PM

Sorry about this late response, but I've been trying to find a card
with extremely high-quality filters so I can do 2048x1536@85hz
without any issues (or 1920x1200 would work too).

Blurry 1280x1024@85hz is unacceptable. I would go as far as to say
your card is defective and demand a warranty replacement.

Your problem DOES have to do with the filters. Your card's poorly
made filters have a cut-off frequency that is too low for the
bandwidth needed to produce sharp pixels. The higher the bandwidth,
the more "square" the pixels appear, and the sharper your image.
Having filters with a cut-off too low will make the signal appear
more like a sine-wave, which appears blurry.

The filter bandwidth is very important. For instance, 1280x1024@85hz
requires a pixel clock of around 111Mhz, but that doesn't necessarily
represent the needed bandwidth to display the signal, which is often
10x the amount for a nice square wave. Notice how screen blurriness
increases the higher you set your refresh rate. Each 1hz more in
refresh rate is 1280x1024 = 1,310,720 pixels more pixels your screen
has to render. Bandwidth is also why you can't render high-frequency
signals over DVI the way you can over the normal VGA ports/cables.

That's also why you also need good cables for high-resolution images.
High-end monitors often come with coaxial inputs for RGB or RGBHV
separately shielded connections. They prevent ghosting or other
artifacts. I doubt this has to do with cables though, as you've
tried out other video cards which do not have this problem.

Demand a replacement; your card is defective.

On another note, does anyone know what brand (nVidia, ATI, any) of
video card has exceptionally high quality filters? Leadtek? I can
render 1600x1200@85hz just fine, but I'd like to go beyond that. My
ol' FX5900 produces blurry images at those really high resolutions
(1920x1200@85hz, etc.).

Thanks.

-BB-
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 11:03:45 PM

Leadtek was the first to change to high quality filters back when the
Geforce3 was released. I don't know if they kept up with it though.

"Bionic-Badger" <bionicbadger@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message news:20cd4$425d2251$455da0d2$2957@allthenewsgroups.com...

!