Looking for new card

I have a Nvidia FX5200 Ultra 325/650. I got it over a year ago for $125. I'm
looking for something in the same price range, $100 to $125, but can't find
anything that compares to it for that price. Any suggestions? Thanks.

bluestringer

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

Wait a month or two and get a 6200AGP or for a few more dollars, a 6600 AGP.
Or you can get a 9600XT on ebay for that amount. Only the 6600 will give
you a real noticeable improvement.

DaveL

bluestringer wrote:

> I have a Nvidia FX5200 Ultra 325/650. I got it over a year ago for $125.
> I'm looking for something in the same price range, $100 to $125, but can't
> find anything that compares to it for that price. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Geez, just about _anything_ is better than a 5200. You can get a variety of
Radeon 9600 Pro or GeforceFX 5700 boards in that price range, any of which
will be a significant improvement over a 5200.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

> bluestringer wrote:
>
> > I have a Nvidia FX5200 Ultra 325/650. I got it over a year ago for $125.
> > I'm looking for something in the same price range, $100 to $125, but
can't
> > find anything that compares to it for that price. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

> Geez, just about _anything_ is better than a 5200. You can get a variety
of
> Radeon 9600 Pro or GeforceFX 5700 boards in that price range, any of which
> will be a significant improvement over a 5200.
>
> > bluestringer
>
> --
> --John
> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

You're missing the Ultra part. This was a rare card, much faster and better
than the plain 5200. I can't find any in the same price range that has the
same speed, they are all slower.

bluestringer

bluestringer wrote:

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> bluestringer wrote:
>>
>> > I have a Nvidia FX5200 Ultra 325/650. I got it over a year ago for
>> > $125. I'm looking for something in the same price range, $100 to $125,
>> > but
> can't
>> > find anything that compares to it for that price. Any suggestions?
> Thanks.
>>
>> Geez, just about _anything_ is better than a 5200. You can get a variety
> of
>> Radeon 9600 Pro or GeforceFX 5700 boards in that price range, any of
>> which will be a significant improvement over a 5200.
>>
>> > bluestringer
>>
>> --
>> --John
>> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
>> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
>

> You're missing the Ultra part. This was a rare card, much faster and
> better than the plain 5200. I can't find any in the same price range that
> has the same speed, they are all slower.

A Yugo with a blower is still a Yugo. It might have been "much faster and
better than the plain 5200", but it was never in the same ballpark as the
DirectX 9 Radeons or the FX5700, or the Geforce 4 Ti4200 for that matter.

--

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Wait a month or two and get a 6200AGP or for a few more dollars, a 6600
AGP.
> Or you can get a 9600XT on ebay for that amount. Only the 6600 will give
> you a real noticeable improvement.
>
> DaveL

Thanks. I will check ebay. The fan went out on the Ultra, I oiled it and got
it running again but it's making a heck of a racket. I have looked at ATI
and the 9600XT and 9600Pro looks to be about the same as my 5200 Ultra, I
may go with one of those. I haven't looked at the 6600 yet, but I will.

bluestringer

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

So that's your reason for buying a new card? The fan is going out?
Sheesh!!! Why not just replace the offending fan? Here's how I do it:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dl1027/files/ti4200.jpg
Notice how I removed the old fan and used two tie-wraps to secure the new
one. That replacement fan cost me less than $5 and is far superior to the
stock one. Plug it into a motherboard header and you also have fan speed
monitoring.

> bluestringer wrote:
>

> > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> > can't
> > Thanks.
> >>
> >> Geez, just about _anything_ is better than a 5200. You can get a
variety
> > of
> >> Radeon 9600 Pro or GeforceFX 5700 boards in that price range, any of
> >> which will be a significant improvement over a 5200.

> >> --
> >> --John
> >> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> >> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
> >

> > You're missing the Ultra part. This was a rare card, much faster and
> > better than the plain 5200. I can't find any in the same price range
that
> > has the same speed, they are all slower.
>
> A Yugo with a blower is still a Yugo. It might have been "much faster and
> better than the plain 5200", but it was never in the same ballpark as the
> DirectX 9 Radeons or the FX5700, or the Geforce 4 Ti4200 for that matter.
>

> > bluestringer
>
> --
> --John
> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Never said it was. But it will hold it's own against the 9600Pro and the
Ti4200. In fact I upgraded from a Ti4200 to the Ultra and never looked back.

bluestringer

"bluestringer" <srvrules@strato.com> wrote in message
>I have a Nvidia FX5200 Ultra 325/650. I got it over a year ago for $125.
>I'm
> looking for something in the same price range, $100 to $125, but can't
> find
> anything that compares to it for that price. Any suggestions? Thanks.
>

> bluestringer

Exactly what do mean by "compares"? Surely your expecting cards of the same
price to now be faster? Tomshardware does regular perfromance comparisons so
you should be able to find a technology which is faster, and by checking
current prices is around the price your interested in.

And don't ignore ATI. A year ago they dominated the mid-range market and
it's these older products which now make up much of the lower end.

"John Russell" <john_e_russell@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "bluestringer" <srvrules@strato.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Nvidia FX5200 Ultra 325/650. I got it over a year ago for $125.
> >I'm
> > looking for something in the same price range, $100 to $125, but can't
> > find
> > anything that compares to it for that price. Any suggestions? Thanks.
> >

> > bluestringer
> >

> Exactly what do mean by "compares"? Surely your expecting cards of the
same
> price to now be faster? Tomshardware does regular perfromance comparisons
so
> you should be able to find a technology which is faster, and by checking
> current prices is around the price your interested in.
>
> And don't ignore ATI. A year ago they dominated the mid-range market and
> it's these older products which now make up much of the lower end.

You would think cards of the same price now would be faster, but I can't
find one that is. I haven't looked at ATI, but will give them a try. Thanks.

bluestringer

> So that's your reason for buying a new card? The fan is going out?
> Sheesh!!! Why not just replace the offending fan? Here's how I do it:
> http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dl1027/files/ti4200.jpg
> Notice how I removed the old fan and used two tie-wraps to secure the new
> one. That replacement fan cost me less than $5 and is far superior to the
> stock one. Plug it into a motherboard header and you also have fan speed
> monitoring.
>
> DaveL

Hey thanks Dave. I think I will try that. What size fan is that? I would
really like to keep this card if I can replace the fan. I think I have an
extra fan header on my board. My card has a square heatsink that covers the
chip and ram modules, the original fan just screws down to it like the fan
on a CPU heatsink. I could probably just attach another one the some way,
but with longer screws.

bluestringer

On 2005-01-02, bluestringer <srvrules@strato.com> wrote:

> I have a Nvidia FX5200 Ultra 325/650. I got it over a year ago for $125. I'm
> looking for something in the same price range, $100 to $125, but can't find
> anything that compares to it for that price. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Go for an FX5700 Ultra, or maybe some kind of FX5900 if they are cheap enough
these days?

The FX5200 was never a great card. I know, I had one. :p

--
LJ
My Realm: http://www.myrealm.co.uk

"Linux Jay" <jamie@uranus.softham> wrote in message
> On 2005-01-02, bluestringer <srvrules@strato.com> wrote:
> >

> > I have a Nvidia FX5200 Ultra 325/650. I got it over a year ago for $125.
I'm
> > looking for something in the same price range, $100 to $125, but can't
find
> > anything that compares to it for that price. Any suggestions? Thanks.
> >
> Go for an FX5700 Ultra, or maybe some kind of FX5900 if they are cheap
enough
> these days?
>
> The FX5200 was never a great card. I know, I had one. :p
>
> --
> LJ
> My Realm: http://www.myrealm.co.uk
> Eddie's Extensions: http://freshmeat.net/projects/eddie42
> Democrats make plans and then do something else. Republicans follow the
plans
> their grandfathers made.

You must not had the Ultra. It's a great card, but it was rare. I have
looked at the 5700 Ultra and the 5900, both are a little out of the price
range. Thanks.

bluestringer

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

The 5200 was never good this was a stupid release, well intelligent for
them to release a card with a new name and sell it for more than a
Ti4400 but the card itself is equivalent to the Ti4400 I checked all
the spec and it's almost funny how they got the same specs. Anyway for
125$ you woudn't get a too good one. If you think upgrading to play new
games well don't. Keep sparing for a lilk more time and get your self a
MSi GeForce 6600GT which right now the best for the price and runs
Doom3 smooth. I got it and seriously i kick some ass you can even
overclock it with the retail fan which gives you a lot fo more
performance anyway think about it.

> "Linux Jay" <jamie@uranus.softham> wrote in message
> > On 2005-01-02, bluestringer <srvrules@strato.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > I have a Nvidia FX5200 Ultra 325/650. I got it over a year ago for
$125.
> I'm
> > > looking for something in the same price range, $100 to $125, but can't
> find
> > > anything that compares to it for that price. Any suggestions? Thanks.
> > >
> > Go for an FX5700 Ultra, or maybe some kind of FX5900 if they are cheap
> enough
> > these days?
> >
> > The FX5200 was never a great card. I know, I had one. :p
> >
> > --
> > LJ
> > My Realm: http://www.myrealm.co.uk
> > Eddie's Extensions: http://freshmeat.net/projects/eddie42
> > Democrats make plans and then do something else. Republicans follow the
> plans
> > their grandfathers made.
>

> You must not had the Ultra. It's a great card, but it was rare. I have
> looked at the 5700 Ultra and the 5900, both are a little out of the price
> range. Thanks.
>
> bluestringer

There was very little difference between a stock 5200 and an Ultra variant.
Stop trying to kid yourself that you've got a golden nugget! It's a low end
card, always was always will be! Problem is that prices haven't really
fallen in line with 'expectation'. I think the arrival of PCI-E has
artificially held prices for longer (AGP cards are pretty static at the
moment and in the case of the 6600, quite a bit more expensive!) and so you
will find it difficult to get a significant upgrade for your card at that
budget.

"Reckless" <reckless@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "bluestringer" <srvrules@strato.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Linux Jay" <jamie@uranus.softham> wrote in message

> $125.
> > I'm
> > find
Thanks.

> > > Go for an FX5700 Ultra, or maybe some kind of FX5900 if they are cheap
> > enough
> > > these days?
> > >
> > > The FX5200 was never a great card. I know, I had one. :p
> > >
> > > --
> > > LJ
> > > My Realm: http://www.myrealm.co.uk
> > > Eddie's Extensions: http://freshmeat.net/projects/eddie42
> > > Democrats make plans and then do something else. Republicans follow
the
> > plans
> > > their grandfathers made.
> >

> > You must not had the Ultra. It's a great card, but it was rare. I have
> > looked at the 5700 Ultra and the 5900, both are a little out of the
price
> > range. Thanks.
> >
> > bluestringer
> >

> There was very little difference between a stock 5200 and an Ultra
variant.
> Stop trying to kid yourself that you've got a golden nugget! It's a low
end
> card, always was always will be! Problem is that prices haven't really
> fallen in line with 'expectation'. I think the arrival of PCI-E has
> artificially held prices for longer (AGP cards are pretty static at the
> moment and in the case of the 6600, quite a bit more expensive!) and so
you
> will find it difficult to get a significant upgrade for your card at that
> budget.

Hehe.....never owned the Ultra did ya. It has twice the memory speed. Much
better than the plain. But yes, it's low end, and that's what I want to
replace it, but you're right, it's been very hard to find a replacement in
the price range with the same core and memory speed. If I can find a
replacement fan for it, I'll just keep it.

bluestringer

bluestringer wrote:

> "Reckless" <reckless@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "bluestringer" <srvrules@strato.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Linux Jay" <jamie@uranus.softham> wrote in message

>> $125.
>> > I'm
> can't
>> > find
> Thanks.

>> > enough

> the
>> > plans
>> >

>> > You must not had the Ultra. It's a great card, but it was rare. I have
>> > looked at the 5700 Ultra and the 5900, both are a little out of the
> price
>> > range. Thanks.
>> >
>> > bluestringer
>> >

>> There was very little difference between a stock 5200 and an Ultra
> variant.
>> Stop trying to kid yourself that you've got a golden nugget! It's a low
> end
>> card, always was always will be! Problem is that prices haven't really
>> fallen in line with 'expectation'. I think the arrival of PCI-E has
>> artificially held prices for longer (AGP cards are pretty static at the
>> moment and in the case of the 6600, quite a bit more expensive!) and so
> you
>> will find it difficult to get a significant upgrade for your card at that
>> budget.
>>

> Hehe.....never owned the Ultra did ya. It has twice the memory speed. Much
> better than the plain.

Twice the memory speed does not give it a wider memory bus, more pipelines,
or any of the other features of more capable chipsets.

> But yes, it's low end, and that's what I want to
> replace it, but you're right, it's been very hard to find a replacement in
> the price range with the same core and memory speed.

If all you care about is core and memory speed then you're looking at the
wrong criteria.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

bluestringer:

>> It might have been "much faster and better than the plain 5200", but
>> it was never in the same ballpark as the DirectX 9 Radeons or the
>> FX5700, or the Geforce 4 Ti4200 for that matter.
>>
> Never said it was. But it will hold it's own against the 9600Pro and
> the Ti4200. In fact I upgraded from a Ti4200 to the Ultra and never
> looked back.

The 5200U is about 25% faster (at best) than a regular 5200, but the 5200U
is only 2/3 as fast as a Ti4200 (at best).

The only new card in your price range that is faster is the 9600Pro, which
depending on the game, ranges from 0-1.5X the speed of a Ti4200. If you
still have the 4200, you will get a performance increase by putting it
back in.

You can argue 'til you're blue in the face, but these cards have been
benchmarked time and again and your perception of the 5200U does not jive
with the data.
--
Mac Cool

"Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
> bluestringer:
>
> >> It might have been "much faster and better than the plain 5200", but
> >> it was never in the same ballpark as the DirectX 9 Radeons or the
> >> FX5700, or the Geforce 4 Ti4200 for that matter.
> >>
> > Never said it was. But it will hold it's own against the 9600Pro and
> > the Ti4200. In fact I upgraded from a Ti4200 to the Ultra and never
> > looked back.
>
> The 5200U is about 25% faster (at best) than a regular 5200, but the 5200U
> is only 2/3 as fast as a Ti4200 (at best).
>
> The only new card in your price range that is faster is the 9600Pro, which
> depending on the game, ranges from 0-1.5X the speed of a Ti4200. If you
> still have the 4200, you will get a performance increase by putting it
> back in.
>
> You can argue 'til you're blue in the face, but these cards have been
> benchmarked time and again and your perception of the 5200U does not jive
> with the data.
> --
> Mac Cool

All I know is it performs great for me, best bang for the buck card I ever
had. It's low end I know, that's why I bought it to begin with. I was
looking for a good cheap card that was DX9 and was on par with the Ti4200
and that's what I got. I kept the 4200 until I saw the Ultra would do just
as good, I then sold it. I don't know about the data, mileage varies with
the user I guess, but what I see on my computer is what I go by. I'm now
looking for another cheap, bang for the buck card, but DaveL has gave me a
great idea to replace the fan, so if I can do that I'll keep this one.
Thanks.

bluestringer

SL

I can personally say my Ati 9500pro will smoke the 5200 card. And it should
be in that price range you want. It does do DirectX 9 as well. Not a bad
card at all.

Im just trying to pursuede you from going with a 5200.

SL

> "John Russell" <john_e_russell@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "bluestringer" <srvrules@strato.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a Nvidia FX5200 Ultra 325/650. I got it over a year ago for $125.
>> >I'm
>> > looking for something in the same price range, $100 to $125, but can't
>> > find
>> > anything that compares to it for that price. Any suggestions? Thanks.
>> >

>> > bluestringer
>> >

>> Exactly what do mean by "compares"? Surely your expecting cards of the
> same
>> price to now be faster? Tomshardware does regular perfromance comparisons
> so
>> you should be able to find a technology which is faster, and by checking
>> current prices is around the price your interested in.
>>
>> And don't ignore ATI. A year ago they dominated the mid-range market and
>> it's these older products which now make up much of the lower end.
>>

> You would think cards of the same price now would be faster, but I can't
> find one that is. I haven't looked at ATI, but will give them a try.
> Thanks.
>
> bluestringer

Try looking here
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/index.html

Everything there is faster than the 5200!

> "Reckless" <reckless@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "bluestringer" <srvrules@strato.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Linux Jay" <jamie@uranus.softham> wrote in message

>> $125.
>> > I'm
> can't
>> > find
> Thanks.

>> > enough

> the
>> > plans
>> >

>> > You must not had the Ultra. It's a great card, but it was rare. I have
>> > looked at the 5700 Ultra and the 5900, both are a little out of the
> price
>> > range. Thanks.
>> >
>> > bluestringer
>> >

>> There was very little difference between a stock 5200 and an Ultra
> variant.
>> Stop trying to kid yourself that you've got a golden nugget! It's a low
> end
>> card, always was always will be! Problem is that prices haven't really
>> fallen in line with 'expectation'. I think the arrival of PCI-E has
>> artificially held prices for longer (AGP cards are pretty static at the
>> moment and in the case of the 6600, quite a bit more expensive!) and so
> you
>> will find it difficult to get a significant upgrade for your card at that
>> budget.
>>

> Hehe.....never owned the Ultra did ya. It has twice the memory speed. Much
> better than the plain. But yes, it's low end, and that's what I want to
> replace it, but you're right, it's been very hard to find a replacement in
> the price range with the same core and memory speed. If I can find a
> replacement fan for it, I'll just keep it.
>
> bluestringer

But modern GPU's are doing more per clock cycle than old cards. You should
use reviews which include benchamrks.

> "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > So that's your reason for buying a new card? The fan is going out?
> > Sheesh!!! Why not just replace the offending fan? Here's how I do it:
> > http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dl1027/files/ti4200.jpg
> > Notice how I removed the old fan and used two tie-wraps to secure the
new
> > one. That replacement fan cost me less than $5 and is far superior to
the
> > stock one. Plug it into a motherboard header and you also have fan
speed
> > monitoring.
> >
> > DaveL
>
> Hey thanks Dave. I think I will try that. What size fan is that? I would
> really like to keep this card if I can replace the fan. I think I have an
> extra fan header on my board. My card has a square heatsink that covers
the
> chip and ram modules, the original fan just screws down to it like the fan
> on a CPU heatsink. I could probably just attach another one the some way,
> but with longer screws.

It looks to be a 40mm fan. That is what most video cards use anyhow. Same
size as a chipset fan for your motherboard. if you are happy with your
current card then definitely get a new fan. Spend the $125 you were gonna
get a video card with on something more important.

TRENDING THREADS