Does anyone benchmark new cards against older models ?

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Benchmark
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 2, 2005 11:29:49 PM

All the reviews/benchmarks of new cards seem to compare them with similar
& lower & higher end cards of the current generation. This might influence
what I buy, but whether I buy at all might be decided by the difference
between my current card & any new card I might have my eye on.

So I'm just wondering whether any sites keep like a database of older
benchmarking scores.

More about : benchmark cards older models

January 2, 2005 11:29:50 PM

I do. I did benchmark my GeForce 4 Ti4400 128MB which had 1886 marks in
3DMarks03 and my 6600GT 128MB which had 7226 which can be better with a
more powerfull CPU.
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 11:29:50 PM

hb wrote:

> All the reviews/benchmarks of new cards seem to compare them with similar
> & lower & higher end cards of the current generation. This might influence
> what I buy, but whether I buy at all might be decided by the difference
> between my current card & any new card I might have my eye on.
>
> So I'm just wondering whether any sites keep like a database of older
> benchmarking scores.

That sounds like a job for Tom's Hardware. Yes, they have their VGA
charts going back several years, but those don't really show old cards
next to new ones. It could be enlightening to users looking for budget
cards to see how older models stack up against them. I'd like to see
how a GF3 Ti200 compares to an FX5200, or how a GF2 GTS lines up with an
MX 4000 (I'll bet the GTS would trounce it). Then again, the last thing
Tom's sponsors want is for users to get old cards on eBay rather than
spending more money on new but inferior models...
Related resources
January 3, 2005 12:44:29 AM

LOL Lachoneus that's so hilarious but true lol.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 1:21:46 AM

"hb" <benben@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> All the reviews/benchmarks of new cards seem to compare them with similar
> & lower & higher end cards of the current generation. This might
> influence
> what I buy, but whether I buy at all might be decided by the difference
> between my current card & any new card I might have my eye on.
>
> So I'm just wondering whether any sites keep like a database of older
> benchmarking scores.

Try this one if you havent already. if your cards older than a TI4200 then
check the second link which goes back even further.
1)
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_c...
2)
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-c...
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 1:24:58 AM

"hb" <benben@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> All the reviews/benchmarks of new cards seem to compare them with similar
> & lower & higher end cards of the current generation. This might
> influence
> what I buy, but whether I buy at all might be decided by the difference
> between my current card & any new card I might have my eye on.
>
> So I'm just wondering whether any sites keep like a database of older
> benchmarking scores.

"hb" <benben@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> All the reviews/benchmarks of new cards seem to compare them with similar
> & lower & higher end cards of the current generation. This might
> influence
> what I buy, but whether I buy at all might be decided by the difference
> between my current card & any new card I might have my eye on.
>
> So I'm just wondering whether any sites keep like a database of older
> benchmarking scores.

Try this one if you havent already. if your cards older than a TI4200 then
check the second link which goes back even further.
1)
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_c...
2)
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-c...
January 3, 2005 4:47:43 AM

"John" <beretta92fs_inox@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I do. I did benchmark my GeForce 4 Ti4400 128MB which had 1886 marks in
> 3DMarks03 and my 6600GT 128MB which had 7226 which can be better with a
> more powerfull CPU.

I know about 3dmark, but many cards give scores 10 times that of my
current card - but if you read the game forums you never get that sort of
increase in FPS. So I was more interested in individual game FPS's.
!