Does anyone benchmark new cards against older models ?

All the reviews/benchmarks of new cards seem to compare them with similar
& lower & higher end cards of the current generation. This might influence
what I buy, but whether I buy at all might be decided by the difference
between my current card & any new card I might have my eye on.

So I'm just wondering whether any sites keep like a database of older
benchmarking scores.
6 answers Last reply
More about does benchmark cards older models

    I do. I did benchmark my GeForce 4 Ti4400 128MB which had 1886 marks in
    3DMarks03 and my 6600GT 128MB which had 7226 which can be better with a
    more powerfull CPU.

    hb wrote:

    > All the reviews/benchmarks of new cards seem to compare them with similar
    > & lower & higher end cards of the current generation. This might influence
    > what I buy, but whether I buy at all might be decided by the difference
    > between my current card & any new card I might have my eye on.
    >
    > So I'm just wondering whether any sites keep like a database of older
    > benchmarking scores.

    That sounds like a job for Tom's Hardware. Yes, they have their VGA
    charts going back several years, but those don't really show old cards
    next to new ones. It could be enlightening to users looking for budget
    cards to see how older models stack up against them. I'd like to see
    how a GF3 Ti200 compares to an FX5200, or how a GF2 GTS lines up with an
    MX 4000 (I'll bet the GTS would trounce it). Then again, the last thing
    Tom's sponsors want is for users to get old cards on eBay rather than
    spending more money on new but inferior models...

    LOL Lachoneus that's so hilarious but true lol.

    "hb" <benben@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > All the reviews/benchmarks of new cards seem to compare them with similar
    > & lower & higher end cards of the current generation. This might
    > influence
    > what I buy, but whether I buy at all might be decided by the difference
    > between my current card & any new card I might have my eye on.
    >
    > So I'm just wondering whether any sites keep like a database of older
    > benchmarking scores.

    Try this one if you havent already. if your cards older than a TI4200 then
    check the second link which goes back even further.
    1)
    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-04.html#3dmark_2003
    2)
    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-05.html

    "John" <beretta92fs_inox@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I do. I did benchmark my GeForce 4 Ti4400 128MB which had 1886 marks in
    > 3DMarks03 and my 6600GT 128MB which had 7226 which can be better with a
    > more powerfull CPU.

    I know about 3dmark, but many cards give scores 10 times that of my
    current card - but if you read the game forums you never get that sort of
    increase in FPS. So I was more interested in individual game FPS's.

Nvidia Benchmark Graphics