Single slot cards

Which cards are recommended that only take up the AGP slot and don't block
other slots? I remember seeing at least two that didn't block a slot, but
don't remember which ones.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Don't know if it's something about slots but my 6600GT didn't work a
the first time because it was getting in conflict with something it
said: This device has not enough resources that it can use Code 12. And
it followed with: Please disable other device to free up some
resources. The problem was my TV Tunner card that was using the PCI
right under the AGP slot but anyway in didn't work in any other slots
either so I just removed my tv tuner and placed it in my other comp.

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

The pci slot next to the agp usually shares the same irq as the agp slot.
Try another slot.

DaveL

"John" <beretta92fs_inox@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Don't know if it's something about slots but my 6600GT didn't work a
> the first time because it was getting in conflict with something it
> said: This device has not enough resources that it can use Code 12. And
> it followed with: Please disable other device to free up some
> resources. The problem was my TV Tunner card that was using the PCI
> right under the AGP slot but anyway in didn't work in any other slots
> either so I just removed my tv tuner and placed it in my other comp.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Thanks for the info I'l try another slot but If I remember well I did
already tried and it did the same thing I think the 6600GT reconized it
as a graphic adapter so he wanted me to disable it but I'l just try to
be sure. If not like I just said it willd stay in my other computer. I
don't often use it.

DaveL wrote:
> "John" <beretta92fs_inox@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> Don't know if it's something about slots but my 6600GT didn't work a
>> the first time because it was getting in conflict with something it
>> said: This device has not enough resources that it can use Code 12.
>> And it followed with: Please disable other device to free up some
>> resources. The problem was my TV Tunner card that was using the PCI
>> right under the AGP slot but anyway in didn't work in any other slots
>> either so I just removed my tv tuner and placed it in my other comp.

> The pci slot next to the agp usually shares the same irq as the agp
> slot. Try another slot.

Wasn't there a perenial problem like that a few years ago involving putting
SoundBlaster cards right below the AGP slot? I seem to recall having a
problem that was solved by moving the soundcard down one and putting
something that didn't require a dedicated IRQ# in the top slot.

Seems like I used to use a lot more slots back then, I guess on-board LAN
and sound has freed up a few of them. Don't need a SCSI card for my scanner
anymore either. AAMOF, now that I think about it, USB has lightened the load
on expansion cards in other areas too. If I didn't have a Capture/Tuner card
I wouldn't have any PCI stuff.

--
dvus

On 2005-01-03, Wooderson <sendmespam@volleyball.net> wrote:

> Which cards are recommended that only take up the AGP slot and don't block
> other slots? I remember seeing at least two that didn't block a slot, but
> don't remember which ones.

Well AFAIK no 6600GT cards take up two slots... some 6800 ones do, but most
I've personally seen don't.

Don't think anything less than a 5900 does either.

--
LJ
My Realm: http://www.myrealm.co.uk

"Wooderson" <sendmespam@volleyball.net> wrote in message
> Which cards are recommended that only take up the AGP slot and don't block
> other slots? I remember seeing at least two that didn't block a slot, but
> don't remember which ones.

Only the 6800Ultra and x850PE take up 2 slots.