  • Connection
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 5, 2005 1:00:02 AM

Hi there,

I have run into what I think is a very strange phenomenon, but hopefully
some of you can help me understand and resolve it. I have bought a used
computer that I want to connect to my TV to view movies through. When I
bought the computer, I made sure that it had a TV-Out outlet on the graphics
card, and after a quick glimpse I was sure it was a regular S-Video
connection. However, when I went to plug it in the other night, my S-Video
cable didn not fit, and it turns out that it's actually a PS/2 connection
(it's identical to the mouse and keyboard connectors)! Now, isn't this very
strange, or is it perfectly normal? And how to I resolve connecting it to
my TV? I have been unable to locate any adapters from PS/2 to S-Video.

The graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX-400.

Thank you in advance for any assistance regarding this issue!

Sincerely,

Peter Larsson

More about : geforce

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 1:00:03 AM

Peter Larsson wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have run into what I think is a very strange phenomenon, but hopefully
> some of you can help me understand and resolve it. I have bought a used
> computer that I want to connect to my TV to view movies through. When I
> bought the computer, I made sure that it had a TV-Out outlet on the graphics
> card, and after a quick glimpse I was sure it was a regular S-Video
> connection. However, when I went to plug it in the other night, my S-Video
> cable didn not fit, and it turns out that it's actually a PS/2 connection
> (it's identical to the mouse and keyboard connectors)! Now, isn't this very
> strange, or is it perfectly normal? And how to I resolve connecting it to
> my TV? I have been unable to locate any adapters from PS/2 to S-Video.
>
> The graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX-400.
>
> Thank you in advance for any assistance regarding this issue!
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Peter Larsson

Almost. I've seen two different types of S-Video jacks, one has an
extra conductor wire and the other is standard. You just need to find a
simple S-Video to Composite dongle from any small computer store,
they're basically the same ones that come with most video cards.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 1:00:03 AM

Some MX cards have VIVO capabilities. Make sure the port isn't for
connecting a "Personal Cinema" dongle.

"Peter Larsson" <nospam@thankyou.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I have run into what I think is a very strange phenomenon, but hopefully
> some of you can help me understand and resolve it. I have bought a used
> computer that I want to connect to my TV to view movies through. When I
> bought the computer, I made sure that it had a TV-Out outlet on the
graphics
> card, and after a quick glimpse I was sure it was a regular S-Video
> connection. However, when I went to plug it in the other night, my S-Video
> cable didn not fit, and it turns out that it's actually a PS/2 connection
> (it's identical to the mouse and keyboard connectors)! Now, isn't this
very
> strange, or is it perfectly normal? And how to I resolve connecting it to
> my TV? I have been unable to locate any adapters from PS/2 to S-Video.
>
> The graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX-400.
>
> Thank you in advance for any assistance regarding this issue!
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Peter Larsson

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 8:39:20 AM

Peter Larsson wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have run into what I think is a very strange phenomenon, but hopefully
> some of you can help me understand and resolve it. I have bought a used
> computer that I want to connect to my TV to view movies through. When I
> bought the computer, I made sure that it had a TV-Out outlet on the graphics
> card, and after a quick glimpse I was sure it was a regular S-Video
> connection. However, when I went to plug it in the other night, my S-Video
> cable didn not fit, and it turns out that it's actually a PS/2 connection
> (it's identical to the mouse and keyboard connectors)! Now, isn't this very
> strange, or is it perfectly normal? And how to I resolve connecting it to
> my TV? I have been unable to locate any adapters from PS/2 to S-Video.
>
> The graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX-400.
>
> Thank you in advance for any assistance regarding this issue!
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Peter Larsson

It's not a PS/2, though it looks similar. You need a dongle that plugs
into that jack and has S-Video and composite (RCA) jacks on the end.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada