NetScreen, Watchguard Firewalls vs software

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
i am looking to implement some sort of firewall solution at the school i work at. i just started there and have been given the responsibility for upgrading everything. currently there is no firewall in place. we have a t1 line, ~600 users, a 2k server and an nt server and 150 client machines running 2k and 98. (the 98 machines will be replaced over the summer). what solution is best for us? i was looking at the netscreen 1000 but there are no prices. it may be overkill for what we need.... is the 500 a better option? how about watchguard?

what is the big difference between a hardware firewall and software firewall such as zone alarm?

....the crows seemed to be calling him, thought caw....

derickchow

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
first. you much understand what is your school need. what server in your school network.

the hardware firewall is good than software firewall.beacause the hardware firewall is soon and security than software firewall.

have any Question,you can email to me.
Email:DerickChow@yahoo.com

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame80.html" target="_new">Garble?</A> Is that you?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

piasabird

Distinguished
May 16, 2002
The thing about a hardware firewall is you can set a wider range of rules. Also a hardware firewall will not crash a comptuer or a server. For instance you can allow certain locations access and not others or restrict access based on time of day. A better way to find possibilities is to call around to different schools and see what they use if anything. Contact the companies and tell them you want to evaluate their product when it comes to a software solution. It might be a software solution will work better. There are 2 differrent things, a firewall to protect from attack and software to filter for bad sites.

when you see smoke is that a good sign?

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
hmmm.... what are the ones that tell you how many times people have tried to hack, or access your network? perhaps a software firewall setup on something other than the server to prevent potential crashes?

leebrownusa

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
What is your T1/ISP provider doing in the way of firewall/content filtering? Don't see the need or expense of duplicating what is already being done. Just a thought.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
why would the isp do anything like that? the only reason they would do that is to prevent you from doing somthing. even personal isps dont do protection.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
they have something called "upstream screening". its kind of a blanket aproach.... they block certain sites and none of their clients can access them. not a very good way of doing things. they do not supply us with any type of firewall.