Best 6600GT AGP

Hi All!.
I'm gonna be buying a 6600GT AGP in the near future. I'm looking
for opinions on best card for the money. I will most likely be modding the
heatsinks, but not water cooling. So I will be overclocking the card. I'm still
looking for good stock cooling on the card if I decide not to change the
heatsinks.

So far I have looked at all of the AGP brands at Newegg.

The MSI 6600GT looks good because the heatsink is large and looks to be all
copper. The AOpen and the Chaintech look also good because the heatsink is all
one piece and large. The ram also seems to be cooled by these models.

Some of the other models it doesn't look like the heatsink is touching the ram.
I realize the ram is BGA and probably does not need a heatsink, but I always
like to run everything as cool as possible.

Thanks

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

For the price the best is the 6600GT AGP as you just said. It's a very
powerfull card. Oh yea and be easy with overclocking. First, the cards
retail fan does support all kinds of oveclocking you don't need replace
it but whatever just you can't pull clock and core at the maximum the
cards gonna be buggy and lot of anomalies will show up in games. When
you overclock you must make adjustments between core and clock want to
overclock clock? then pull down core a little and raise memory clock
anyway what I'm trying to say is you can't just overclock like a crazy
and that card runs every games as I know so you won't have to touch the
clocks. If you still want tough find the best way on
www.tomshardware.com I think I say it there. If you get the MSI's
6600GT the best way I found to make a stable overclocking is to raise
the memory clock about 110MHz. It gives about 300 more marks in 03 and
about 200 more in 05.

Hope you gonna make the good choice.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_6600_gt_agp_roundup/

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Ed Light wrote:
> http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_6600_gt_agp_roundup/

It's too bad that none of these hardware comparisons have included the
Gainward versions, since I've got one I'd be interested to see how it
stacks up.

Considering the 'Golden Sample' and 'Golden Sample GLH' are shipped with
a higher clock rate than anything else, (540/1050 & 540/1150
respectively). Higher than the clock rates the above reviewers 'have seen'.

Also has temperature monitoring, temperature controlled fan, dual DVI,
VIVO, etc, etc.

Dave

>http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_6600_gt_agp_roundup/

Good reading thanks!

"Dave" <QBXVRAVCYLPD@spammotel.com> wrote
> It's too bad that none of these hardware comparisons have included the
> Gainward versions
They aren't in the US yet.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

"Dave" <QBXVRAVCYLPD@spammotel.com> wrote
> It's too bad that none of these hardware comparisons have included the
> Gainward versions, since I've got one I'd be interested to see how it
> stacks up.

> Also has temperature monitoring, temperature controlled fan, dual DVI,
> VIVO, etc, etc.

Is it pretty quiet?

I'm waiting for them to appear here.

Have you tried the video in out? What software did they include for that?
Does it come with nvdvd?

Thanks!
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

I hope the prices of the Golden Samples will be competitive. The whole
purpose of overclocking is to gain extra performance for free or very little
extra.

"Dave" <QBXVRAVCYLPD@spammotel.com> wrote in message
> Considering the 'Golden Sample' and 'Golden Sample GLH' are shipped with
> a higher clock rate than anything else, (540/1050 & 540/1150
> respectively). Higher than the clock rates the above reviewers 'have
seen'.

> Also has temperature monitoring, temperature controlled fan, dual DVI,
> VIVO, etc, etc.
>
> Dave

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

First of One wrote:
> I hope the prices of the Golden Samples will be competitive. The whole
> purpose of overclocking is to gain extra performance for free or very little
> extra.

I paid AU$389, (~US$300), of course being an early adopter I paid
probably more than I should. But then the sight of my mates jaw
dropping as I was playing UT2k4 and JointOps made up for it :)

However, that said - they're now selling for AU$419 ;)

Dave

> First of One wrote:
>> I hope the prices of the Golden Samples will be competitive. The whole
>> purpose of overclocking is to gain extra performance for free or very
>> little
>> extra.
>
> I paid AU$389, (~US$300), of course being an early adopter I paid probably
> more than I should. But then the sight of my mates jaw dropping as I was
> playing UT2k4 and JointOps made up for it :)
>
> However, that said - they're now selling for AU$419 ;)

Maybe the non-golden sample version is the one that will sell for about $220
US.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Having three Gainward GS cards at the moment (one Ti4200 and two FX5900XT),
I can say that I am extremely pleased with the way that Gainward has made
their GS versions. Each one has run flawlessly right out of the box, and
had no trouble o/cing to the next level. The 4200 is in a P3 box along with
a Voodoo 5500 for some older flight and racing sims. One 5900 is in my main
machine, and the other is in my HTPC. Going by the reviews and comments on
all of the various sites, as soon as they release the 6600GT GS here in the
states, I will get rid of the one in my HTPC and replace it with the 6600.
IMHO you just can't go wrong with the GS version of their cards and it is
worth the extra money that they command.
Silvertip
"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message

> "Dave" <QBXVRAVCYLPD@spammotel.com> wrote in message
> > First of One wrote:
> >> I hope the prices of the Golden Samples will be competitive. The whole
> >> purpose of overclocking is to gain extra performance for free or very
> >> little
> >> extra.
> >
> > I paid AU$389, (~US$300), of course being an early adopter I paid
probably
> > more than I should. But then the sight of my mates jaw dropping as I
was
> > playing UT2k4 and JointOps made up for it :)
> >
> > However, that said - they're now selling for AU$419 ;)
>
> Maybe the non-golden sample version is the one that will sell for about
$220
> US.
>
> --
> Ed Light
>
> Smiley :-/
> MS Smiley :-\
>
> Send spam to the FTC at
> uce@ftc.gov
> Thanks, robots.

On a related subject, I see that these 6600GT cards have a power plug
on the back end. Does this require a lager PSU? My other machine has a
ASUS 9999 card and I had to get a larger PSU (400>500watt). The
machine in question has a 350 PSU and running a ASUS A7V333 with an
Athlon XP2000.
TIA,
Bobsen

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 09:49:38 +0100, Bob Bobsen <noneedtoknow@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On a related subject, I see that these 6600GT cards have a power plug
>on the back end. Does this require a lager PSU? My other machine has a
>ASUS 9999 card and I had to get a larger PSU (400>500watt). The
>machine in question has a 350 PSU and running a ASUS A7V333 with an
>Athlon XP2000.

Depends on what OS you are running:)

Multi boot machine
350w psu
Inno3d 6600GT AGP (requires min 300w psu)
W98 Power indicator problem report on startup, now using win drivers
640x480x16:-(
W2K and XP work fine, no problems.

--

Kevin

Here is what I found out.

The PCI-Express version of the 6600GT uses around 75 Watts through the
PCI-Express slot.

The AGP slot can only deliver 45 Watts, so you need the Molex power connector
on the card for the other 30 Watts.

Most of the reviews and specific 6600GT cards list 300 Watts as being needed. I
believe the one card listed 350 Watts.

As long as your not using too many power hungry devices and the power supply is
a quality supply....350 Watts should be enough.

It's too bad they don't list how much current is needed on each rail, that
would make things too easy I guess.

On 09 Jan 2005 15:17:58 GMT, private1964@aol.com (PRIVATE1964) wrote:

>Here is what I found out.
>
>The PCI-Express version of the 6600GT uses around 75 Watts through the
>PCI-Express slot.
>
>The AGP slot can only deliver 45 Watts, so you need the Molex power connector
>on the card for the other 30 Watts.
>
>Most of the reviews and specific 6600GT cards list 300 Watts as being needed. I
>believe the one card listed 350 Watts.

Mine is 350w and as the case is open I am not even running any case fans.

>As long as your not using too many power hungry devices and the power supply is
>a quality supply....350 Watts should be enough.
>
>It's too bad they don't list how much current is needed on each rail, that
>would make things too easy I guess.

As far as I can work out it is a problem with the driver or associated
software, I have tried running the card with most of my hardware removed[1]
from the power supply and still get the same power indicator report in W98,
but when I am running in W2K or XP the card is running cool and all
voltages reported by motherboard monitering program are well within
acceptable limits.

[1] 2nd hard drive, DVD and CD power supplies and IDE cables removed.

--

Kevin

I am running WinXP Home on that machine. Thanks for the info guys....
Regards,
Bobsen

PRIVATE1964 wrote:
> Here is what I found out.
>
> The PCI-Express version of the 6600GT uses around 75 Watts through the
> PCI-Express slot.
>
> The AGP slot can only deliver 45 Watts, so you need the Molex power connector
> on the card for the other 30 Watts.
>
> Most of the reviews and specific 6600GT cards list 300 Watts as being needed. I
> believe the one card listed 350 Watts.
>
> As long as your not using too many power hungry devices and the power supply is
> a quality supply....350 Watts should be enough.
>
> It's too bad they don't list how much current is needed on each rail, that
> would make things too easy I guess.

The 6600GT doesn't use 75 watts of power. 75 watts is the most that the
PCI Express slot can deliver, the card doesn't use all of that.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

>The 6600GT doesn't use 75 watts of power. 75 watts is the most that the
>PCI Express slot can deliver, the card doesn't use all of that.

If that's the case then come out with a figure of how much it uses?

I also tend to differ, because if the AGP slot can supply 45 Watts then why
does it need the extra Molex connector unless it's using more then 45 Watts?

So wouldn't that put the figure between 45 Watts and 75 Watts?

>The 6600GT doesn't use 75 watts of power. 75 watts is the most that the
>PCI Express slot can deliver, the card doesn't use all of that.

Using this as a guide, logic and knowing the AGP version of the 6600GT has an
extra Molex connector the card needs more then 45 Watts.

A 5600 uses 75 Watts according to this, and a 6800 105 Watts.

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

PRIVATE1964 wrote:
>>The 6600GT doesn't use 75 watts of power. 75 watts is the most that the
>>PCI Express slot can deliver, the card doesn't use all of that.
>

> If that's the case then come out with a figure of how much it uses?
>
> I also tend to differ, because if the AGP slot can supply 45 Watts then why
> does it need the extra Molex connector unless it's using more then 45 Watts?
>
> So wouldn't that put the figure between 45 Watts and 75 Watts?

Tbis page that Ed Light posted (thanks!) has some power consumption
figures of numerous cards:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce6600gt-oc_3.html

6600GT was 47.89 watts at full load with no overclocking.

In fact, even the 6800 Ultra uses only 72 watts, so theoretically even
that card would not technically need any external power connector on PCI
Express. However, it's likely not a good idea to have a card that comes
that close to the available power, since not all motherboards may
actually be able to supply all that. Probably equally true for AGP (if
not more so), that all motherboards/systems can't supply the full 45 watts..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

>6600GT was 47.89 watts at full load with no overclocking.

OK at least your throwing actual figures out there, but it comes down to who do
you believe also. I should not have posted the card uses 75 Watts in a
PCI-Expess slot, but the review that I read sure made it seem like it was close
to that. Logically you still have to consider that if the AGP slot can only
deliver 45 Watts and there is a Molex on the card then its power requirment
will be more then 45 Watts which going by what you posted it is. I also posted
the power requirement would fall between 45 and 75 watts in my last post which
it does.