Gateway's Horrible Customer Service for Plasma T.V.'s

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

I purchased a 42 inch Plasma t.v. from Gateway two years ago. Four
weeks ago the OSD (on-screen discplay menu) came on and hasn't come
off since. I contacted Gateway and despite the fact that I should
recieve out of warranty service to fix the t.v., they have told me
that they don't have the part and that it is on "backorder." I have
called ten or more times to complain (I have not been able to watch
the t.v. for a month), but all they say is that they "don't know when
the part will be in." Finally, today out of frustration, I contacted
a local t.v. repair shop. The company sent a rep with over 29 years
of experience to try to fix my set. When he called Gateway tech
support from my house while attmepting to fix the t.v., he was told
that they would not send him any parts because only Gateway reps can
repair the t.v.'s. I am pissed. I believe that this is against the
law in the State of Michigan, and a violation of lemon laws,
especially given the fact that Gateway said a lot of their t.v.'s
have this problem and if I had a warranty, they would've sent me a
new one. Anyone else out there experienced this type of issue with
Gateway?
11 answers Last reply
More about gateway horrible customer service plasma
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    This is in no way an answer to your question, but can you determine who
    actually manufactured the the t.v. (I don't think Gateway makes anything
    these days)? If you can locate the actual manufacturer perhaps they will
    provide some advice on how to get the parts you need. (Back in my dim and
    distant past I used to repair t.v.'s as a sideline and I never went to the
    distributor for repair parts - the marketplace always had an alternate
    supplier.)

    "bscott" <bscott1503@aol-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    news:8607d$426da741$455da0d2$9794@allthenewsgroups.com...
    >I purchased a 42 inch Plasma t.v. from Gateway two years ago. Four
    > weeks ago the OSD (on-screen discplay menu) came on and hasn't come
    > off since. I contacted Gateway and despite the fact that I should
    > recieve out of warranty service to fix the t.v., they have told me
    > that they don't have the part and that it is on "backorder." I have
    > called ten or more times to complain (I have not been able to watch
    > the t.v. for a month), but all they say is that they "don't know when
    > the part will be in." Finally, today out of frustration, I contacted
    > a local t.v. repair shop. The company sent a rep with over 29 years
    > of experience to try to fix my set. When he called Gateway tech
    > support from my house while attmepting to fix the t.v., he was told
    > that they would not send him any parts because only Gateway reps can
    > repair the t.v.'s. I am pissed. I believe that this is against the
    > law in the State of Michigan, and a violation of lemon laws,
    > especially given the fact that Gateway said a lot of their t.v.'s
    > have this problem and if I had a warranty, they would've sent me a
    > new one. Anyone else out there experienced this type of issue with
    > Gateway?
    >
  2. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    The original Gateway Plasma 42" TV is a rebadged Sampo.

    "Tom Clydesdale" <t.clydesdale.nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    news:Q_idnVhkRICl9_PfRVn-gw@comcast.com...
    > This is in no way an answer to your question, but can you determine who
    > actually manufactured the the t.v. (I don't think Gateway makes anything
    > these days)? If you can locate the actual manufacturer perhaps they will
    > provide some advice on how to get the parts you need. (Back in my dim and
    > distant past I used to repair t.v.'s as a sideline and I never went to the
    > distributor for repair parts - the marketplace always had an alternate
    > supplier.)
    >
    > "bscott" <bscott1503@aol-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > news:8607d$426da741$455da0d2$9794@allthenewsgroups.com...
    >>I purchased a 42 inch Plasma t.v. from Gateway two years ago. Four
    >> weeks ago the OSD (on-screen discplay menu) came on and hasn't come
    >> off since. I contacted Gateway and despite the fact that I should
    >> recieve out of warranty service to fix the t.v., they have told me
    >> that they don't have the part and that it is on "backorder." I have
    >> called ten or more times to complain (I have not been able to watch
    >> the t.v. for a month), but all they say is that they "don't know when
    >> the part will be in." Finally, today out of frustration, I contacted
    >> a local t.v. repair shop. The company sent a rep with over 29 years
    >> of experience to try to fix my set. When he called Gateway tech
    >> support from my house while attmepting to fix the t.v., he was told
    >> that they would not send him any parts because only Gateway reps can
    >> repair the t.v.'s. I am pissed. I believe that this is against the
    >> law in the State of Michigan, and a violation of lemon laws,
    >> especially given the fact that Gateway said a lot of their t.v.'s
    >> have this problem and if I had a warranty, they would've sent me a
    >> new one. Anyone else out there experienced this type of issue with
    >> Gateway?
    >>
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:40:02 GMT, "Tweek"
    <shawnwingetNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

    Here is a SAMPO related link that may be of help

    http://www.area450.com/usefulinfo/sampolinks.html

    HTH


    >The original Gateway Plasma 42" TV is a rebadged Sampo.
    >
    >"Tom Clydesdale" <t.clydesdale.nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >news:Q_idnVhkRICl9_PfRVn-gw@comcast.com...
    >> This is in no way an answer to your question, but can you determine who
    >> actually manufactured the the t.v. (I don't think Gateway makes anything
    >> these days)? If you can locate the actual manufacturer perhaps they will
    >> provide some advice on how to get the parts you need. (Back in my dim and
    >> distant past I used to repair t.v.'s as a sideline and I never went to the
    >> distributor for repair parts - the marketplace always had an alternate
    >> supplier.)
    >>
    >> "bscott" <bscott1503@aol-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    >> news:8607d$426da741$455da0d2$9794@allthenewsgroups.com...
    >>>I purchased a 42 inch Plasma t.v. from Gateway two years ago. Four
    >>> weeks ago the OSD (on-screen discplay menu) came on and hasn't come
    >>> off since. I contacted Gateway and despite the fact that I should
    >>> recieve out of warranty service to fix the t.v., they have told me
    >>> that they don't have the part and that it is on "backorder." I have
    >>> called ten or more times to complain (I have not been able to watch
    >>> the t.v. for a month), but all they say is that they "don't know when
    >>> the part will be in." Finally, today out of frustration, I contacted
    >>> a local t.v. repair shop. The company sent a rep with over 29 years
    >>> of experience to try to fix my set. When he called Gateway tech
    >>> support from my house while attmepting to fix the t.v., he was told
    >>> that they would not send him any parts because only Gateway reps can
    >>> repair the t.v.'s. I am pissed. I believe that this is against the
    >>> law in the State of Michigan, and a violation of lemon laws,
    >>> especially given the fact that Gateway said a lot of their t.v.'s
    >>> have this problem and if I had a warranty, they would've sent me a
    >>> new one. Anyone else out there experienced this type of issue with
    >>> Gateway?
    >>>
    >>
    >>
    >
  4. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    I have a similar problem. Seems that the infrared reciever on the TV
    has
    Failed. I cannot switch any function at all from remote and there is
    no way to do this from the set itself ( nice engineering huh?).
    I spoke to Gatway CS and got the same "We dont have parts and dont
    know when" runaround as you,
    I now seek the elusive Sanpo infrared reciever thingie that seems to
    be failing on many of their palsma TV's. They seemed awful familiar
    with this routine
    I pressed them on when they would recieve parts and would they inform
    me but they were just lost on this. They even said there is a kink in
    the supply chain due to the Tsunami and blah blah blah.

    Well there you are, are some tea and sympathy from someone in the
    same fix.
    All I can really suggest is that we tell all we know to Never Buy
    Gatway[/. they really have a bad attitude like...your on your own
    budddy. Tough Luck
  5. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:30:39 +0000,
    mikee101@rcn-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (wrex101) wrote:

    >All I can really suggest is that we tell all we know to Never Buy
    >Gatway[/. they really have a bad attitude like...your on your own
    >budddy. Tough Luck

    Gateway's downward slide came about from years (starting around
    1998-1999) of substandard technical support for the computer systems
    they had thrown together in Taiwan but made the public think were
    being built by Americans in America. They had to team up with
    EMachines (you know the level of product there) and get into the TV
    game to save Ted's and their upper echelon, high salary, positions.
    However, Gateway being Gateway, never changed their attitude toward
    the public or the substandard level of their support so.... the
    downward slide continues and the consumers that still, for some reason
    or another, continue to buy from them, get screwed as they always
    have.

    In other words, this is par for the course for this company. This is
    what this company is synonymous with. This is what Gateway has grown
    to be all about. This is classical Gateway. Why.... WHY does anyone
    think that a company that screwed the public for years on computer
    support would change their ways when they got into the TV game? Why
    does anyone think that if their support was substandard for the
    Taiwanese machines with GW stamped on them that it would be any better
    for the Taiwanese machines with E-Machine stamped on them?
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    I am having the same problem with my gateway plasma tv.

    I regret the day that I bought the TV. I guess I wanted so badly to
    support an American product.

    The problem started 2 months ago, after 2 years of owning the product,
    the OSD came on and since then, remain stuck to the upper left corner
    of the TV.
    The OSD kept scrolling through the options automatically no matter
    what button I press on the remote. I have exhusted my strength trying
    to get gateway fix the TV without footing almost $800 of repair cost.

    Anyone knows what the fix is?
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    On Mon, 02 May 2005 22:28:27 +0000,
    homoregie@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (atlantacust2474) wrote:

    >I regret the day that I bought the TV. I guess I wanted so badly to
    >support an American product.

    Believe me when I say that buying from Gateway is not buying American.
    All you are doing is lining the pockets of an American that is selling
    Taiwanese built junk with an American Registered Trade Name on it.
    The only thing American about Gateway is the people they use in the TV
    ads to make you think the whole enterprise is American.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    With current PC manufacturers, there are no computers at all actually
    manufactured in America. They might be assembled here, but the components in
    them are all manufactured overseas. Hell, IBM sold it's PC business to a
    Chinese company that is partially owned by the Chinese government.

    "Shooter" <fhasfdjh@AlkjdaF@com> wrote in message
    news:3pld71d5k3dr3sgk6ds5mq09ve4nvokg8m@4ax.com...
    > On Mon, 02 May 2005 22:28:27 +0000,
    > homoregie@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (atlantacust2474) wrote:
    >
    >>I regret the day that I bought the TV. I guess I wanted so badly to
    >>support an American product.
    >
    > Believe me when I say that buying from Gateway is not buying American.
    > All you are doing is lining the pockets of an American that is selling
    > Taiwanese built junk with an American Registered Trade Name on it.
    > The only thing American about Gateway is the people they use in the TV
    > ads to make you think the whole enterprise is American.
    >
  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    On Tue, 03 May 2005 18:11:25 GMT, "Tweek"
    <shawnwingetNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >With current PC manufacturers, there are no computers at all actually
    >manufactured in America. They might be assembled here, but the components in
    >them are all manufactured overseas.

    We all know that the components are made out of country as we all know
    the wording "manufactured in America" means assembled in America, thus
    my meaning that Gateway does not make the computers it tries to make
    the public believe it does.

    However, one can buy a system made in America (made meaning assembled
    as it does to most people). My last two systems were made in America
    (assembled in America for those not understanding the meaning). Its
    called white boxing and most cities have reputable white box builders
    (assemblers to those not trying to complicate the issue). Those two
    last systems have the same length of support "Claimed" by the
    conglomerates but is actually given and is given not only by someone
    in my own country, speaking my own language but living in the same
    town I live in. Actually, my support comes from the actual person
    that built my system (assembled to those that don't understand the
    actual meaning of the topic).

    Now, as far as laptops and TV's, there are no white box builders
    (assemblers to those without a clue to the topic) in most towns if any
    so one has no choice but to buy systems built (assembled for funnies)
    out of country.

    The only thing actually Built, Assembled, Manufactured, etc. in
    America are the commercials made by these conglomerates which tries to
    make the sheep think their products was actually built (assembled for
    those trying to confuse the topic) in America. Gateway use to run an
    Ad a couple of years back that showed an assembly line with Americans
    on it with bright white smiling teeth grinning to beat all while
    Building (assembling) systems for American consumption. Word had it
    that they got busted for that ad and had to remove it from the air
    because at that time, gateway was no longer doing anything in America
    but running sales phone banks. That is when the infamous ad showing
    herds of idiots running through fields of green delivering cow boxes
    full of Taiwanese built (assembled for the challenged) systems came on
    the scene. I hear that Dell is also coming under fire for that
    commercial showing some idiot in bed calling Dell support and talking
    to what is evidently an north American dialect speaking person that
    looks an awful lot like a North American. Call Dell support and see
    what you actually get.

    If anyone wants a system built in America (no matter where the "Guts"
    comes from), then support your local white box builder. You also get
    local support from a person that actually has a clue as to how a
    computer works that not only lives on your side of the world but
    probably lives in your same town. My last two have been such and I
    haven't regretted it since.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    You see that a lot, people trying to make where the parts were made vs.
    where the box was assembled as being one and the same. I understood
    your message and what the actual meaning of BUILT means as most people
    that have capabilities of dimensional thought would.

    You are right about local builds (white boxes) being the way to go.
    After I gave up on Gateway, Dell and all the other scam artists, I went
    the white box route also. I asked around and found that there were 4
    highly reputable builders local to my local. After settling on one, I
    have had him build three systems for me to date. Of the three, one had
    a few problems of which he immediately took care of personally. Like
    you said, he's the one who built the system so he's the best one to
    service the system because his reputation rides on this plus, he speaks
    English and lives just down the road.

    Community thinking also dictates that the profits he makes on each
    system are mostly spent right back in the community thus adding to a
    strong and viable local economy. Even though my last system cost
    around $150 more than what Gateway would have charged for a system
    assembled with comparable parts, $80 of that $150 would have gone into
    shipping the GW system here and for the $70 left of the difference, I
    think local, face to face, English speaking support from a neighbor
    that actually has a service minded clue is well worth that extra $70.

    This whole thing comes down to supporting the merchants of your own
    community when possible. And I'm not talking about that Wal-Mart
    thing either. They wanted to move into our community and our city said
    fine, we want 30% of the store profits spent right back here in this
    community. And that doesn't include the minimum wage salaries for
    the 15-20 local people that they will employ. Hell, we can come up
    with Minimum wage positions in our area all day long so we don't need
    Wal-Mart coming in here and offering what we can already establish.
    Well, we don't have a Wal-Mart here (grin). Actually, we have two
    department stores that have been here since the 30's (that's
    1930's for the young'uns on here). The people working in them make
    more than what Wal-Mart said they would pay. They offer just about
    everything Wal-Mart has and their prices are not that much more when
    compared to Wal-Mart prices. My wife did a check on this one day. She
    priced 33 items at one of our local department stores and then priced
    the same items at the Wal-Mart 30 miles down the road. Those 33 items
    listed for $124 at the local Department store while Wal-Mart had the
    same 33 items for $118. She would end up paying just $6 more to do
    business with a local establishment who's entire profits of that $124
    would most likely have been injected right back into the local
    community where the profits in Wal-Mart's $118 would have gone to
    DirtWater BoonDog or wherever they send their money to.

    People, People, PEOPLE.... Find a reputable local white box builder
    and do your business with them. Keep you money in your own community
    and get a bonus.... Support from the same planet that you live on.
    Send these conglomerates that have sold you and your country out back
    to hell where they were spawned.

    NIK

    *** Email Address is a Spam Dump so don't use it ***


    Shooter wrote:
    > On Tue, 03 May 2005 18:11:25 GMT, "Tweek"
    > <shawnwingetNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >With current PC manufacturers, there are no computers at all
    actually
    > >manufactured in America. They might be assembled here, but the
    components in
    > >them are all manufactured overseas.
    >
    > We all know that the components are made out of country as we all
    know
    > the wording "manufactured in America" means assembled in America,
    thus
    > my meaning that Gateway does not make the computers it tries to make
    > the public believe it does.
    >
    > However, one can buy a system made in America (made meaning assembled
    > as it does to most people). My last two systems were made in America
    > (assembled in America for those not understanding the meaning). Its
    > called white boxing and most cities have reputable white box builders
    > (assemblers to those not trying to complicate the issue). Those two
    > last systems have the same length of support "Claimed" by the
    > conglomerates but is actually given and is given not only by someone
    > in my own country, speaking my own language but living in the same
    > town I live in. Actually, my support comes from the actual person
    > that built my system (assembled to those that don't understand the
    > actual meaning of the topic).
    >
    > Now, as far as laptops and TV's, there are no white box builders
    > (assemblers to those without a clue to the topic) in most towns if
    any
    > so one has no choice but to buy systems built (assembled for funnies)
    > out of country.
    >
    > The only thing actually Built, Assembled, Manufactured, etc. in
    > America are the commercials made by these conglomerates which tries
    to
    > make the sheep think their products was actually built (assembled for
    > those trying to confuse the topic) in America. Gateway use to run an
    > Ad a couple of years back that showed an assembly line with Americans
    > on it with bright white smiling teeth grinning to beat all while
    > Building (assembling) systems for American consumption. Word had it
    > that they got busted for that ad and had to remove it from the air
    > because at that time, gateway was no longer doing anything in America
    > but running sales phone banks. That is when the infamous ad showing
    > herds of idiots running through fields of green delivering cow boxes
    > full of Taiwanese built (assembled for the challenged) systems came
    on
    > the scene. I hear that Dell is also coming under fire for that
    > commercial showing some idiot in bed calling Dell support and talking
    > to what is evidently an north American dialect speaking person that
    > looks an awful lot like a North American. Call Dell support and see
    > what you actually get.
    >
    > If anyone wants a system built in America (no matter where the "Guts"
    > comes from), then support your local white box builder. You also get
    > local support from a person that actually has a clue as to how a
    > computer works that not only lives on your side of the world but
    > probably lives in your same town. My last two have been such and I
    > haven't regretted it since.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    On 4 May 2005 10:18:17 -0700, health_wellness@solution4u.com wrote:

    >People, People, PEOPLE.... Find a reputable local white box builder
    >and do your business with them. Keep you money in your own community
    >and get a bonus.... Support from the same planet that you live on.
    >Send these conglomerates that have sold you and your country out back
    >to hell where they were spawned.

    I think that says it all in a well wrapped up nut shell.

    Regards,
Ask a new question

Read More

Gateway Computers