Future AGP Support?

I want to upgrade my present Intel system to an AMD Athlon64 S939. I'm
tired of waiting for the nForce4 MB's to available in Canada. I could get
an nForce3 board as there is not much difference but the problem is it's not
clear whether the next generation chips from ATI/nVidia are going to have
AGP support or not. I have a feeling that PCI-E is the future and it's
going to at least provide me a guaranteed path to upgrade in let's say a
year and a half or two or I could be wrong. What do you think?

RobB wrote:

> I want to upgrade my present Intel system to an AMD Athlon64 S939. I'm
> tired of waiting for the nForce4 MB's to available in Canada. I could get
> an nForce3 board as there is not much difference but the problem is it's
> not clear whether the next generation chips from ATI/nVidia are going to
> have
> AGP support or not. I have a feeling that PCI-E is the future and it's
> going to at least provide me a guaranteed path to upgrade in let's say a
> year and a half or two or I could be wrong. What do you think?

I think that at this moment the AGP/PCI Express thing is turning into
another religious issue like Mac vs PC and you're not going to get a lot of
reasoned discourse going either way. Personally I'd consider the intended
use. If playing the latest games is important to you then I'd wait for PCI
Express boards to become available where I was and probably go with one
that was SLI capable as well--even if I never use the capability it has one
more PCI Express slot, which might or might not be useful in the future.
If playing the latest games doesn't matter then I wouldn't worry about it
because there's going to be little likelihood that the video board would
need to be upgraded during the life of the machine for any other purpose.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

"RobB" <RobB@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> I want to upgrade my present Intel system to an AMD Athlon64 S939. I'm
> tired of waiting for the nForce4 MB's to available in Canada. I could get
> an nForce3 board as there is not much difference but the problem is it's
not
> clear whether the next generation chips from ATI/nVidia are going to have
> AGP support or not. I have a feeling that PCI-E is the future and it's
> going to at least provide me a guaranteed path to upgrade in let's say a
> year and a half or two or I could be wrong. What do you think?

AGP is an obsolete interconnect and PCI-E is the likely successor, note well
most new chipsets use PCI-E and not AGP.

That is a very obvious observation and has a very natural, intuitive
conclusion which only needs a proof to support this assertion: Your next
Motherboard should have at least one PCI-E slot.

All other considerations are moot, considering how likely you are to get
your 2nd subsequent motherboard before you buy your 2nd subsequent PCI-E
Video Card (all the meanwhile no AGP card!).

Helps?

I agree, wait for nForce 4.

"RobB" <RobB@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>I want to upgrade my present Intel system to an AMD Athlon64 S939. I'm
> tired of waiting for the nForce4 MB's to available in Canada. I could get
> an nForce3 board as there is not much difference but the problem is it's
> not
> clear whether the next generation chips from ATI/nVidia are going to have
> AGP support or not. I have a feeling that PCI-E is the future and it's
> going to at least provide me a guaranteed path to upgrade in let's say a
> year and a half or two or I could be wrong. What do you think?

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah wait so u dont have to worry about upgrading again for awhile.

"Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I agree, wait for nForce 4.
>
> "RobB" <RobB@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>I want to upgrade my present Intel system to an AMD Athlon64 S939. I'm
>> tired of waiting for the nForce4 MB's to available in Canada. I could
>> get
>> an nForce3 board as there is not much difference but the problem is it's
>> not
>> clear whether the next generation chips from ATI/nVidia are going to have
>> AGP support or not. I have a feeling that PCI-E is the future and it's
>> going to at least provide me a guaranteed path to upgrade in let's say a
>> year and a half or two or I could be wrong. What do you think?

J. Clarke:

> I think that at this moment the AGP/PCI Express thing is turning into
> another religious issue like Mac vs PC

A religious issue like Mac vs PC is overly dramatic. AGP is on the way
out, PCI-E is on the way in, there is nothing more to it. If you're
uncertain as to what will happen, look back on previous changes in the
video slot standard: ISA => VLB => PCI => AGP (and now) => PCI-E.

AGP will not die overnight but it will die. We are not facing a future of
competing standards. Video card manufacturers don't like multiple
standards because it increases costs (despite what Tom's Hardware or
others may claim). PCI and ISA hung around for longer than necessary
because they had a huge install base and because the slot didn't die, it
remained fully in use. I suspect AGP will more closely follow the course
of VLB.
--
Mac Cool

Mac Cool wrote:

> J. Clarke:
>
>> I think that at this moment the AGP/PCI Express thing is turning into
>> another religious issue like Mac vs PC
>
> A religious issue like Mac vs PC is overly dramatic. AGP is on the way
> out, PCI-E is on the way in, there is nothing more to it. If you're
> uncertain as to what will happen, look back on previous changes in the
> video slot standard: ISA => VLB => PCI => AGP (and now) => PCI-E.
>
> AGP will not die overnight but it will die. We are not facing a future of
> competing standards. Video card manufacturers don't like multiple
> standards because it increases costs (despite what Tom's Hardware or
> others may claim). PCI and ISA hung around for longer than necessary
> because they had a huge install base and because the slot didn't die, it
> remained fully in use. I suspect AGP will more closely follow the course
> of VLB.

You see what you've done--you just had to jump in and defend PCI Express
even though it wasn't being attacked. That's why I say it's turning into a
religious issue.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

J. Clarke:

> You see what you've done--you just had to jump in and defend PCI
> Express even though it wasn't being attacked. That's why I say it's
> turning into a religious issue.

Boy oh boy, some people just can't live without drama... tell you what,
quote your *attack* on PCI-E and my subsequent *defense* because I think
you are just trying to start an argument, but I'm not playing. My only
point was that you are being melodramatic about what is an inevitable
change to the video slot/bus standard; comparing it to a holy war (figure
of speech). Our opinions (which I have no preference) are irrelevant, the
decisions have been made and PCI-E will continue regardless of anything
posted here.

Oh, I don't want to alarm you any further, but eventually PCI-E will be
replaced by something else, many years hence.

No more drama for me, peace out.
--
Mac Cool

Mac Cool wrote:

> J. Clarke:
>
>> You see what you've done--you just had to jump in and defend PCI
>> Express even though it wasn't being attacked. That's why I say it's
>> turning into a religious issue.
>
> Boy oh boy, some people just can't live without drama... tell you what,
> quote your *attack*

Quote my "attack"? What attack? I said wait for it if you need it, if you
don't need it then don't bother. That's hardly an "attack".

> on PCI-E and my subsequent *defense*

Well, basically rather than provide any useful information you launch the
usual dissertation that amounts to "you will be assimilated".

> because I think
> you are just trying to start an argument, but I'm not playing.

Well, actually, you are.

> My only
> point was that you are being melodramatic about what is an inevitable
> change to the video slot/bus standard;

No, I'm pointing out that there is more heat than light in discourse on this
topic.

> comparing it to a holy war (figure
> of speech). Our opinions (which I have no preference) are irrelevant, the
> decisions have been made and PCI-E will continue regardless of anything
> posted here.

Or not as the case may be. While I doubt it's going to happen it would
please me greatly if the computer buying public told Intel to take their
new standard and shove it up their butts sideways.

> Oh, I don't want to alarm you any further, but eventually PCI-E will be
> replaced by something else, many years hence.

Or not as the case may be.

> No more drama for me, peace out.

If you didn't want drama you wouldn't have responded the first time.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message

[snip]
> PCI and ISA hung around for longer than necessary
> because they had a huge install base and because the slot didn't die, it
> remained fully in use. I suspect AGP will more closely follow the course
> of VLB.

What a strange conclusion you choose to draw. I agree completely with the
first sentence:

"PCI and ISA hung around for longer than necessary because they had a huge
install base and because the slot didn't die, it remained fully in use."

And then when you consider AGP, wouldn't you also say that it has "a huge
install base"? I would, given that 99% of all installed graphics cards and
motherboards are AGP today!!!

I think you will be able to buy new AGP graphics cards (and motherboards for
that matter) for quite some time yet.

Chip

Chip wrote:

> "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
>
> [snip]
>> PCI and ISA hung around for longer than necessary
>> because they had a huge install base and because the slot didn't die, it
>> remained fully in use. I suspect AGP will more closely follow the course
>> of VLB.
>
> What a strange conclusion you choose to draw. I agree completely with the
> first sentence:
>
> "PCI and ISA hung around for longer than necessary because they had a huge
> install base and because the slot didn't die, it remained fully in use."
>
> And then when you consider AGP, wouldn't you also say that it has "a huge
> install base"? I would, given that 99% of all installed graphics cards
> and motherboards are AGP today!!!
>
> I think you will be able to buy new AGP graphics cards (and motherboards
> for that matter) for quite some time yet.

What's likely to happen though is that development of AGP hardware will be
put on the back burner or halted so that you won't be able to get any new
features on AGP video or motherboards and AGP technology will effectively
be frozen at some level.

--

Chip wrote:
> "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
>
> [snip]
>
>>PCI and ISA hung around for longer than necessary
>>because they had a huge install base and because the slot didn't die, it
>>remained fully in use. I suspect AGP will more closely follow the course
>>of VLB.
>

> What a strange conclusion you choose to draw. I agree completely with the
> first sentence:
>
> "PCI and ISA hung around for longer than necessary because they had a huge
> install base and because the slot didn't die, it remained fully in use."
>
> And then when you consider AGP, wouldn't you also say that it has "a huge
> install base"? I would, given that 99% of all installed graphics cards and
> motherboards are AGP today!!!
>
> I think you will be able to buy new AGP graphics cards (and motherboards for
> that matter) for quite some time yet.
>
> Chip

PCI and ISA slots continued to be present on motherboards well after
they had been replaced by AGP for video cards, since they were being
used for other things (and some systems needed to use PCI video cards
too since they had no AGP slot). AGP, on the other hand, will not be
present on motherboards which support PCI Express.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Chip:
> I think you will be able to buy new AGP graphics cards (and
> motherboards for that matter) for quite some time yet.

That statement is sufficiently vague as to mean nothing. Does 'quite some
time' mean: 6 weeks, 6 months, 12 months, 18 months, 3 years? I think AGP
will be effectively gone in 12-18 months. (there may still be AGP cards
available, but most of us will not be buying them)
--
Mac Cool

In article <2JiEd.36917$8l.21421@pd7tw1no>, Robert Hancock
<hancockr@nospamshaw.ca> writes

>AGP, on the other hand, will not be
>present on motherboards which support PCI Express.

I've already seen at least one board that has both PCI Express and AGP.

--
..sigmonster on vacation

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

> Chip wrote:
>

>> "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
>>
>> [snip]
>>> PCI and ISA hung around for longer than necessary
>>> because they had a huge install base and because the slot didn't die, it
>>> remained fully in use. I suspect AGP will more closely follow the course
>>> of VLB.
>>
>> What a strange conclusion you choose to draw. I agree completely with
>> the
>> first sentence:
>>
>> "PCI and ISA hung around for longer than necessary because they had a
>> huge
>> install base and because the slot didn't die, it remained fully in use."
>>
>> And then when you consider AGP, wouldn't you also say that it has "a huge
>> install base"? I would, given that 99% of all installed graphics cards
>> and motherboards are AGP today!!!
>>
>> I think you will be able to buy new AGP graphics cards (and motherboards
>> for that matter) for quite some time yet.
>
> What's likely to happen though is that development of AGP hardware will be
> put on the back burner or halted so that you won't be able to get any new
> features on AGP video or motherboards and AGP technology will effectively
> be frozen at some level.

To an extent I agree. I still envisage at least one more generation of ATI
and nVidia chips being available on AGP cards. Probably more than one. You
have to remember that neither nVidia nor ATI make the cards and there are a
plethora of oems all jostling for a slice of the market, trying to find
different differentiators and ways to grab a piece of market share. With
the *vast* number of AGP motherboards installed out there, I find it
inconceivable that none of the card oems will want to offer AGP versions of
their cards.

> Chip:
>> I think you will be able to buy new AGP graphics cards (and
>> motherboards for that matter) for quite some time yet.
>
> That statement is sufficiently vague as to mean nothing. Does 'quite some
> time' mean: 6 weeks, 6 months, 12 months, 18 months, 3 years? I think AGP
> will be effectively gone in 12-18 months. (there may still be AGP cards
> available, but most of us will not be buying them)
> --

Hmmmm. I am not a lawyer carefully choosing every word. I have no idea
exactly how long AGP cards will be kicking around. I merely wanted to point
out to those who think AGP is dead and buried already, that it is not.

As to your final sentence, I can pick holes in that too:

"there may still be AGP cards available <in 12 -18 months>, but most of us
will not be buying them"

Who is "us" exactly? If you mean Dell, then of course. I doubt the big PC
oems are buying AGP cards now, let alone in 18months! But what about your
average punter with a 2.6GHz P4 and ATI 9600. What will *he* buy in 12-18
months from now? Some of those guys will of course buy a new PC. But many
will still want an AGP card. And for that reason, I would expect AGP cards
will still be available (and offering the then current chipsets) in 12-18
months time.

Chip

Mike Tomlinson wrote:

> In article <2JiEd.36917$8l.21421@pd7tw1no>, Robert Hancock
> <hancockr@nospamshaw.ca> writes
>
>>AGP, on the other hand, will not be
>>present on motherboards which support PCI Express.
>
> I've already seen at least one board that has both PCI Express and AGP.

Made by PCChips or one of their subsidiaries and using a proprietary bridge
chip also made by PCChips or one of their subsidiaries. Given PCCHips'
reputation, one would not expect this to be a particularly reliable
product. If there is a real market for such boards then PCChips will soon
rule the industry. If there is not then there's no reason for other chip
manufacturers to jump on the bandwagon.

Since an extra part (the bridge chip) has to be added to any PCI Express
board to allow it to have a working AGP slot, and since that bridge, at
this time anyway, comes from one of the less well regarded manufacturers,
it's unlikely that you're going to see it included on very many boards that
are not made by PCChips.

Now, it may be that in the future the chip manufacturers incorporate the
bridge chip in the chipset, in which case boards with both PCI Express and
AGP will become readily available, but that won't happen unless the PCChips
experiment does well enough to show that there is a market.

--

Chip wrote:

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> Chip wrote:
>>

>>> "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> What a strange conclusion you choose to draw. I agree completely with
>>> the
>>> first sentence:
>>>
>>> "PCI and ISA hung around for longer than necessary because they had a
>>> huge
>>> install base and because the slot didn't die, it remained fully in use."
>>>
>>> And then when you consider AGP, wouldn't you also say that it has "a
>>> huge
>>> install base"? I would, given that 99% of all installed graphics cards
>>> and motherboards are AGP today!!!
>>>
>>> I think you will be able to buy new AGP graphics cards (and motherboards
>>> for that matter) for quite some time yet.
>>
>> What's likely to happen though is that development of AGP hardware will
>> be put on the back burner or halted so that you won't be able to get any
>> new features on AGP video or motherboards and AGP technology will
>> effectively be frozen at some level.
>
> To an extent I agree. I still envisage at least one more generation of
> ATI
> and nVidia chips being available on AGP cards. Probably more than one.
> You have to remember that neither nVidia nor ATI make the cards and there
> are a plethora of oems all jostling for a slice of the market, trying to
> find
> different differentiators and ways to grab a piece of market share. With
> the *vast* number of AGP motherboards installed out there, I find it
> inconceivable that none of the card oems will want to offer AGP versions
> of their cards.

The board manufacturer doesn't get to arbitrarily decide which interface to
use though--if the chip supports PCI Express and the manufacturer wants to
use AGP then unless the chip manufacturer has an approved bridge chip the
board manufacturer has to get it from a third party and then beat the
combination into submission.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Chip:
> what about your average punter with a 2.6GHz P4 and ATI 9600. What
> will *he* buy in 12-18 months from now?

A 6800GT? A new PCI-E motherboard?
A new AGP motherboard 18 months from now would be useless.
--
Mac Cool

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

> Chip wrote:
>

>> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

>>> What's likely to happen though is that development of AGP hardware will
>>> be put on the back burner or halted so that you won't be able to get any
>>> new features on AGP video or motherboards and AGP technology will
>>> effectively be frozen at some level.
>>
>> To an extent I agree. I still envisage at least one more generation of
>> ATI
>> and nVidia chips being available on AGP cards. Probably more than one.
>> You have to remember that neither nVidia nor ATI make the cards and there
>> are a plethora of oems all jostling for a slice of the market, trying to
>> find
>> different differentiators and ways to grab a piece of market share. With
>> the *vast* number of AGP motherboards installed out there, I find it
>> inconceivable that none of the card oems will want to offer AGP versions
>> of their cards.
>
> The board manufacturer doesn't get to arbitrarily decide which interface
> use though--if the chip supports PCI Express and the manufacturer wants to
> use AGP then unless the chip manufacturer has an approved bridge chip the
> board manufacturer has to get it from a third party and then beat the
> combination into submission.

Of course. But since the nVidia chips are (all?) native AGP parts, I can't
see them dropping AGP any time soon. You don't need any adapter to run AGP
chips on an AGP bus!

Chip

Chip wrote:

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> Chip wrote:
>>

>>> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

>>> To an extent I agree. I still envisage at least one more generation of
>>> ATI
>>> and nVidia chips being available on AGP cards. Probably more than one.
>>> You have to remember that neither nVidia nor ATI make the cards and
>>> there are a plethora of oems all jostling for a slice of the market,
>>> trying to find
>>> different differentiators and ways to grab a piece of market share.
>>> With the *vast* number of AGP motherboards installed out there, I find
>>> it inconceivable that none of the card oems will want to offer AGP
>>> versions of their cards.
>>
>> The board manufacturer doesn't get to arbitrarily decide which interface
>> use though--if the chip supports PCI Express and the manufacturer wants
>> to use AGP then unless the chip manufacturer has an approved bridge chip
>> the board manufacturer has to get it from a third party and then beat the
>> combination into submission.
>
> Of course. But since the nVidia chips are (all?) native AGP parts, I
> can't
> see them dropping AGP any time soon. You don't need any adapter to run
> AGP chips on an AGP bus!

I suspect their next generation is going to be PCI Express natively.

--

> Chip:
>> what about your average punter with a 2.6GHz P4 and ATI 9600. What
>> will *he* buy in 12-18 months from now?
>
> A 6800GT? A new PCI-E motherboard?
> A new AGP motherboard 18 months from now would be useless.
> --
> Mac Cool

I don't get your point. No-one would want to buy a *new* AGP motherboard in
18 months. That would be crazy.

But, 18 months from now, if you own an AGP motherboard and you want to buy a
new graphics card, what are you going to want to buy? An AGP graphics card!
That's why manufacturers will continue to offer them... because if there is
market demand, someone will cater for it.

Let me offer you an analogy:

Do PCI-Express cards offer any speed advantages over AGP? No, not really.
Marginal improvement at best. Perhaps none at all.

Do sata disks offer any improvement over IDE disks? No, not really.
Marginal improvement at best. Perhaps none at all.

Do ALL new motherboards come with sata ports? Yes.

Can you still buy a PATA disk today? Yes. Why? Because their is still
demand for them.

Anyway, this is my view. Others may have a different point of view. In 18
months time, we will see who is right.

Chip

Chip wrote:

> "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
>> Chip:
>>> what about your average punter with a 2.6GHz P4 and ATI 9600. What
>>> will *he* buy in 12-18 months from now?
>>
>> A 6800GT? A new PCI-E motherboard?
>> A new AGP motherboard 18 months from now would be useless.
>> --
>> Mac Cool
>
> I don't get your point. No-one would want to buy a *new* AGP motherboard
> in
> 18 months. That would be crazy.
>
> But, 18 months from now, if you own an AGP motherboard and you want to buy
> new graphics card, what are you going to want to buy? An AGP graphics
> card! That's why manufacturers will continue to offer them... because if
> there is market demand, someone will cater for it.
>
> Let me offer you an analogy:
>
> Do PCI-Express cards offer any speed advantages over AGP? No, not really.
> Marginal improvement at best. Perhaps none at all.
>
> Do sata disks offer any improvement over IDE disks? No, not really.
> Marginal improvement at best. Perhaps none at all.
>
> Do ALL new motherboards come with sata ports? Yes.
>
> Can you still buy a PATA disk today? Yes. Why? Because their is still
> demand for them.
>
> Anyway, this is my view. Others may have a different point of view. In
> 18 months time, we will see who is right.

Other than replacing a dead video board, why would one want to put a new
video board in an 18-month-old motherboard?

--

> Chip wrote:
>

>> "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
>>> Chip:
>>>
>>> A 6800GT? A new PCI-E motherboard?
>>> A new AGP motherboard 18 months from now would be useless.
>>> --
>>> Mac Cool
>>
>> I don't get your point. No-one would want to buy a *new* AGP motherboard
>> in
>> 18 months. That would be crazy.
>>
>> But, 18 months from now, if you own an AGP motherboard and you want to
>> buy
>> new graphics card, what are you going to want to buy? An AGP graphics
>> card! That's why manufacturers will continue to offer them... because if
>> there is market demand, someone will cater for it.
>>
>> Let me offer you an analogy:
>>
>> Do PCI-Express cards offer any speed advantages over AGP? No, not
>> really.
>> Marginal improvement at best. Perhaps none at all.
>>
>> Do sata disks offer any improvement over IDE disks? No, not really.
>> Marginal improvement at best. Perhaps none at all.
>>
>> Do ALL new motherboards come with sata ports? Yes.
>>
>> Can you still buy a PATA disk today? Yes. Why? Because their is still
>> demand for them.
>>
>> Anyway, this is my view. Others may have a different point of view. In
>> 18 months time, we will see who is right.
>
> Other than replacing a dead video board, why would one want to put a new
> video board in an 18-month-old motherboard?

Er, let me think........ to speed the system up perhaps????????

You make it sound like an 18 month old motherboard is a fossil. There's
people out there still using 486's, you know. P3's are commonplace and
circa 2GHz P4's are everywhere.

Someone with a typical *modern* system (maybe an Athlon 64 3500+ with 1GB
ram in an nforce3 motherboard) might very well decide to replace their (say)
aging 9600 Pro in perhaps 18 months.

Maybe your advice to them is to buy a new motherboard? Well that's fine and
dandy for people inclined to do such upgrades. But what about the other 99%
of the population who can barely figure out how to fit a new CD rom drive?
The people who bought Dells, or HPs, or Gateways or whatever? They are
hardly the sort who will relish the prospect of fitting a new motherboard,
are they. And I doubt they will relish the prospect of buying a whole new
PC either, just to make Quake 4 run a little faster. Their logical,
inexpensive, easy to install option will be to buy a new AGP graphics card.

I'm done arguing about this now. I think my point of view is clear, well
thought out and logical. And correct, btw. If you think otherwise, then
that's up to you.

Chip

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:38:50 -0500, "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>Other than replacing a dead video board, why would one want to put a new
>video board in an 18-month-old motherboard?

I've been wondering this myself.

My motherboard is about 18 months old, my video card was about 5 years old,
you know one of them old fashoned things called a Matrox G400.

Speed and performance increases in the applications that I use are minor,
problems caused by card or its drivers in one of my OS's are not so minor.

I maybe refitting a card that although old is still capable of handling
most non gaming applications without any problems.

--

Kevin