Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

6600GT video card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2005 5:48:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I am looking to get the 6600GT video card. I have seen many different
varieties of the card, with the most common ones being eVGA and PNY. It
seems that the 6600GT card is almost impossible to find anywhere except
online.

What I am interested in finding out is if the 6800 card came out before the
6600 card since the 6800 seems to be available just about anywhere.

More about : 6600gt video card

January 8, 2005 5:48:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Yes the 6800 series in agp came out first. The 6600 is still relatively
new.

DaveL


"Charlie Brookhart" <charliebrookhart46@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:F4-dnWx4ebOCpH3cRVn-tg@comcast.com...
> I am looking to get the 6600GT video card. I have seen many different
> varieties of the card, with the most common ones being eVGA and PNY. It
> seems that the 6600GT card is almost impossible to find anywhere except
> online.
>
> What I am interested in finding out is if the 6800 card came out before
the
> 6600 card since the 6800 seems to be available just about anywhere.
>
>
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2005 3:36:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

>What I am interested in finding out is if the 6800 card came out before the
>6600 card since the 6800 seems to be available just about anywhere.

Yes the 6800 did come out before the 6600. The 6600GT PCI Express versions came
out around late September 2004 or close to that, and the 6600GT AGP version
came out in November 2004. Not sure when the 6800 came out exactly but it was
before both versions of the 6600GT.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2005 1:16:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 14:48:46 -0500, "Charlie Brookhart"
<charliebrookhart46@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I am looking to get the 6600GT video card. I have seen many different
>varieties of the card, with the most common ones being eVGA and PNY. It
>seems that the 6600GT card is almost impossible to find anywhere except
>online.
>
>What I am interested in finding out is if the 6800 card came out before the
>6600 card since the 6800 seems to be available just about anywhere.
>

I kind of wondered that same thing myself - Why does the later release
(6600) have an ealier number, for the first time in the evolution of
the nVidia graphics chipset. Remember the TNT/TNT2 series,, then the
first GeForces then the GF2's,, 3's,, 4's,, FX5200,, etc,, right up to
the 5950.. They all went forward in their numerical model designation
numbers, which basically meant that the higher the number, the more
powerful (or better) it was.. Now,, we get a 6800 then the 6600..
Hmmmm...!!!

Is nVidia going backward or shrinking in upon itself perhaps..???

I'm kidding of course....

I think that the 6800 was the first of the new breed of card which was
a straight forward, up front battler against the ATI 9800 series,
which held the crown,, but,, it costed (and still does) and arm and a
leg,, so maybe they decided to bring out a slightly lesser model which
can still compete head on with the opposition without the purchaser
having to give a pint of blood to own it... This/these may well be the
modern version(s) of the Ti4xxx series... For those who couldn't
afford the Ti's,, there was the MX series.. For those who couldn't
afford Intel Pentiums, there were the Celerons,, etc etc etc... The
6800 simply cost too much and there was/is nothing to bridge the gap..

Now there is,, and, I am glad because I bought a 6600 GT today, to
replace my FX5700.. Wow what a difference... I think for the very
first time in all the cards I have owned => S3 Virge,, Matrox
Mistique,, Voodoo 8mb,, TNT2 Ultra,, GeForce 2 Pro,, GeForce 4 MX440,,
Ti4200,, FX 5600,, FX5700 => I have noticed a huge jump in performance
from the previous one. YES, quite noticable...

In my brand loyalty to the nVidia GPU over the years,, I can finally
say "They did something right for once, instead of just bringing out a
faster or bigger one"... This card is definitely of a new breed...

I was actually considering buying one of the many ATI 9800 variations
out there, because like you, I found it hard to actually find a 6600..
Then => There it was....

It has only been some 6 or more hours but gaming seems to be
pleasurable again.. I was getting mighty pissed off at all the late
games like Doom3, Far Cry, Hedal of Honor Pacific Assault, Thief3,
DeusEx2 etc etc,, which needed a graphics card in excess of my FX5700
to even look worthy of playing.. Now I can rest a little assured that
I can play most of them in comfort,, until the "next" generation
appears,, then I can tip even more money into the bottomless computer
pit...

God help me - What have I got myself into...???
January 10, 2005 1:16:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Nvidia always comes out with the high dollar card first. When the FX series
came out, it was Jen-sun who first walked out onto the stage with the
infamous FX5900 Ultra dustbuster. All the lesser iterations came later.

DaveL


"Bruce Tyler" <top@bottom.au> wrote in message
news:qeq1u0h0rvdnasmf608djqqtmm6rpm2s8c@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 14:48:46 -0500, "Charlie Brookhart"
> <charliebrookhart46@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I am looking to get the 6600GT video card. I have seen many different
> >varieties of the card, with the most common ones being eVGA and PNY. It
> >seems that the 6600GT card is almost impossible to find anywhere except
> >online.
> >
> >What I am interested in finding out is if the 6800 card came out before
the
> >6600 card since the 6800 seems to be available just about anywhere.
> >
>
> I kind of wondered that same thing myself - Why does the later release
> (6600) have an ealier number, for the first time in the evolution of
> the nVidia graphics chipset. Remember the TNT/TNT2 series,, then the
> first GeForces then the GF2's,, 3's,, 4's,, FX5200,, etc,, right up to
> the 5950.. They all went forward in their numerical model designation
> numbers, which basically meant that the higher the number, the more
> powerful (or better) it was.. Now,, we get a 6800 then the 6600..
> Hmmmm...!!!
>
> Is nVidia going backward or shrinking in upon itself perhaps..???
>
> I'm kidding of course....
>
> I think that the 6800 was the first of the new breed of card which was
> a straight forward, up front battler against the ATI 9800 series,
> which held the crown,, but,, it costed (and still does) and arm and a
> leg,, so maybe they decided to bring out a slightly lesser model which
> can still compete head on with the opposition without the purchaser
> having to give a pint of blood to own it... This/these may well be the
> modern version(s) of the Ti4xxx series... For those who couldn't
> afford the Ti's,, there was the MX series.. For those who couldn't
> afford Intel Pentiums, there were the Celerons,, etc etc etc... The
> 6800 simply cost too much and there was/is nothing to bridge the gap..
>
> Now there is,, and, I am glad because I bought a 6600 GT today, to
> replace my FX5700.. Wow what a difference... I think for the very
> first time in all the cards I have owned => S3 Virge,, Matrox
> Mistique,, Voodoo 8mb,, TNT2 Ultra,, GeForce 2 Pro,, GeForce 4 MX440,,
> Ti4200,, FX 5600,, FX5700 => I have noticed a huge jump in performance
> from the previous one. YES, quite noticable...
>
> In my brand loyalty to the nVidia GPU over the years,, I can finally
> say "They did something right for once, instead of just bringing out a
> faster or bigger one"... This card is definitely of a new breed...
>
> I was actually considering buying one of the many ATI 9800 variations
> out there, because like you, I found it hard to actually find a 6600..
> Then => There it was....
>
> It has only been some 6 or more hours but gaming seems to be
> pleasurable again.. I was getting mighty pissed off at all the late
> games like Doom3, Far Cry, Hedal of Honor Pacific Assault, Thief3,
> DeusEx2 etc etc,, which needed a graphics card in excess of my FX5700
> to even look worthy of playing.. Now I can rest a little assured that
> I can play most of them in comfort,, until the "next" generation
> appears,, then I can tip even more money into the bottomless computer
> pit...
>
> God help me - What have I got myself into...???
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2005 1:16:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

>Now there is,, and, I am glad because I bought a 6600 GT today, to
>replace my FX5700.. Wow what a difference... I think for the very
>first time in all the cards I have owned => S3 Virge,, Matrox
>Mistique,, Voodoo 8mb,, TNT2 Ultra,, GeForce 2 Pro,, GeForce 4 MX440,,
>Ti4200,, FX 5600,, FX5700 => I have noticed a huge jump in performance
>from the previous one. YES, quite noticable...


DON'T SPEAK LIKE THAT.

I have a FX5900 right now and was contemplating a 6600GT/6800, but
decided against it because of monetary issues and made up some reason
in my head about not noticing a difference.

So reading this post was a mistake.

So, um, will I notice a difference you think going from a 5900 -> 6800
on a P4 2.6GHz?

--
Tashfeen Bhimdi
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2005 1:16:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Bruce Tyler" <top@bottom.au> wrote in message
news:qeq1u0h0rvdnasmf608djqqtmm6rpm2s8c@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 14:48:46 -0500, "Charlie Brookhart"
> <charliebrookhart46@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I am looking to get the 6600GT video card. I have seen many different
>>varieties of the card, with the most common ones being eVGA and PNY. It
>>seems that the 6600GT card is almost impossible to find anywhere except
>>online.
>>
>>What I am interested in finding out is if the 6800 card came out before
>>the
>>6600 card since the 6800 seems to be available just about anywhere.
>>
>
> I kind of wondered that same thing myself - Why does the later release
> (6600) have an ealier number, for the first time in the evolution of
> the nVidia graphics chipset. Remember the TNT/TNT2 series,, then the
> first GeForces then the GF2's,, 3's,, 4's,, FX5200,, etc,, right up to
> the 5950.. They all went forward in their numerical model designation
> numbers, which basically meant that the higher the number, the more
> powerful (or better) it was..

With earlier cards performance was purely down to raw MHZ power, with later
prodcution being capable of running at higher speeds, or the same basic
design being shifted to smaller procution sizes which also allowed for
higher speeds.

Now Nvidia goes for broke with an all singing and dancing version with large
scrap rates, and the slower cards come later by dropping pipelines etc to
simplify the design and increase production rates. The result of course is
that the cut down version may end up slower than the previous genrations of
cards, as was the case with the low end Fx cards which didn't out perform
the Ti series.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2005 1:16:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Yes, but only at higher resolutions (> 1280x960). With AA and aniso enabled,
the performance boost can be as much as 100%.

The 6600GT is as fast or faster than the 5900.

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
It can therefore be said that politics is war without
bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."


"Tashfeen Bhimdi" <tbhimdi@SPAMmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
news:sqt2u0p0ikcv30cg980iq2fmjah35b6ttt@4ax.com...
> So, um, will I notice a difference you think going from a 5900 -> 6800
> on a P4 2.6GHz?
>
> --
> Tashfeen Bhimdi
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2005 3:53:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

In message <20050108193611.08617.00000009@mb-m10.aol.com>, PRIVATE1964
<private1964@aol.com> writes
>>What I am interested in finding out is if the 6800 card came out before the
>>6600 card since the 6800 seems to be available just about anywhere.
>
>Yes the 6800 did come out before the 6600. The 6600GT PCI Express versions came
>out around late September 2004 or close to that, and the 6600GT AGP version
>came out in November 2004. Not sure when the 6800 came out exactly but it was
>before both versions of the 6600GT.
>

Wasn't sure if u were meaning in the UK or USA - couldn't tell from your
emails but thought I'd reply anyway.

6600 came out after 6800. Not sure if they all are, but 6600GT is on
0.11u rather than 0.13u as well which is a bonus.

I'm in the UK and bought a Galaxy 6600GT 128MB 128bit DDR3 from Scan
(www.scan.co.uk) - their price is about GBP139+VAT =GBP163 (they also
have the Aopen Aeolus for GBP122+VAT=GBP144), and they have a retail
counter as well as internet sales. They're based on Enterprise retail
park behind the Bolton Wanderers Reebok Stadium if you're interested.

Extremely pleased with the card, very well put together and good sprung
screw binding posts, theremal pads etc. and very quiet fan over a copper
heatsink with fine copper vanes over memory . I have it in a large tower
with plenty of cooling, but I can't get it to get hot anyway nomatter
what I threw at it.

NFSU2 with everything on full just flies, as does everything else I've
tried including X2 The Threat, Simpsons Hit & Run (yeah I know but its
fun), Myst 4 Revalation. 2D picture is much crisper than my previous
card (MSIGF4Ti4400) Nvidia seem to have done a good jon on the 2D with
this chipset too.

Not done any serious benchmarking numbers (everyone's systems are
different so no point me quoting numbers), but 3DMark 2003 (latest
version) zooms along whilst 3DMark 2005 (again latest version) is, well,
what you'd expect from anything less than a supercooled twin Xeon with
SLI 6800 Ultras :-) they don't half make those benchmarks tough!

Hope this helps,

Neil.

--
Neil J Bundy
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2005 11:11:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 19:12:24 -0000, "John Russell"
<john_e_russell@hotmail.com> wrote:

>cards, as was the case with the low end Fx cards which didn't out perform
>the Ti series.

Tell me about it...
I was simply horrified when I went from my XP2000+ with an Asus A7M266
VIA m/b,, 512mb PC2100 (I think) and a Leadtek Ti4200 128mb,,, to a
Gigabyte 7N400L NForce2 m/b XP3000+,, 1Gb PC3200 in Dual Data mode,,
and a Chaintech FX5600... I nearly threw up at the huge step backward
in the graphics department... I went back to the shop and almost threw
the card back at them and got a 5700, Leadtek 5700 which was a little
better but still only marginally better than the Ti4200 in speed.
Textures were a lot better though BUT that did sweet fanny adams to
make gaming any sweeter.

This new 6600GT I bought yesterday is way way better...
!