help BFG 6600GT artifacts in farcry and AA

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 9, 2005 12:26:46 AM

Hi
I've just replaced an FX5200 with a BFG 6600 GT OC but unfortunately I have
found that both farcry and america's army have alot of artifacts such as see
through walls, missing ground, large opaque objects and streaks in the sky.

I've tried high res and low res and I've turn off antialiasing and
anisotropic filtering but same thing. Call of duty and knights of the old
republic work great.
I've uninstalled and reinstalled the latest nvidia driver 6.14.10.6693
The 5200 worked ok except for being slow.
System:
ASUS p4s8x
bios 1004 (upgraded to try and resolve the problem)
onboard soundmax
pentium 2.4
768mb ram
Windows XP home sp2
directx 9.0c
I've read lots of concern here over inadequate power supplies so I'll
mention that mine is 300W. I've got no other cards inserted and only a
single hd, floppy and CDROM burner.

I'll buy a better power supply if folks think that will resolve it.

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dwayne
January 9, 2005 3:16:20 PM

Dwayne wrote:
> Hi
> I've just replaced an FX5200 with a BFG 6600 GT OC but unfortunately I have
> found that both farcry and america's army have alot of artifacts such as see
> through walls, missing ground, large opaque objects and streaks in the sky.
>
> I've tried high res and low res and I've turn off antialiasing and
> anisotropic filtering but same thing. Call of duty and knights of the old
> republic work great.
> I've uninstalled and reinstalled the latest nvidia driver 6.14.10.6693
> The 5200 worked ok except for being slow.
> System:
> ASUS p4s8x
> bios 1004 (upgraded to try and resolve the problem)
> onboard soundmax
> pentium 2.4
> 768mb ram
> Windows XP home sp2
> directx 9.0c
> I've read lots of concern here over inadequate power supplies so I'll
> mention that mine is 300W. I've got no other cards inserted and only a
> single hd, floppy and CDROM burner.
>
> I'll buy a better power supply if folks think that will resolve it.
>
> any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Dwayne

If the latest chipset drivers and video drivers do not solve this issue
go into the BIOS and ensure the AGP aperature is set for 128 megs and if
the problems continue then either you have a poor regulated power
supply (this happened to me) or you have a physcial problem with the
card itself.

regards

January 9, 2005 3:16:21 PM

Thanks Everyone

I upgraded the drivers to 67.03 and everything works like a champ!

"b" <johnson_robert@planet.nl> wrote in message
> Dwayne wrote:
>> Hi
>> I've just replaced an FX5200 with a BFG 6600 GT OC but unfortunately I
>> have found that both farcry and america's army have alot of artifacts
>> such as see through walls, missing ground, large opaque objects and
>> streaks in the sky.
>>
>> I've tried high res and low res and I've turn off antialiasing and
>> anisotropic filtering but same thing. Call of duty and knights of the old
>> republic work great.
>> I've uninstalled and reinstalled the latest nvidia driver 6.14.10.6693
>> The 5200 worked ok except for being slow.
>> System:
>> ASUS p4s8x
>> bios 1004 (upgraded to try and resolve the problem)
>> onboard soundmax
>> pentium 2.4
>> 768mb ram
>> Windows XP home sp2
>> directx 9.0c
>> I've read lots of concern here over inadequate power supplies so I'll
>> mention that mine is 300W. I've got no other cards inserted and only a
>> single hd, floppy and CDROM burner.
>>
>> I'll buy a better power supply if folks think that will resolve it.
>>
>> any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks, Dwayne
> If the latest chipset drivers and video drivers do not solve this issue go
> into the BIOS and ensure the AGP aperature is set for 128 megs and if the
> problems continue then either you have a poor regulated power supply (this
> happened to me) or you have a physcial problem with the card itself.
>
> regards

Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 4:51:18 PM

yea as youve said perhaps a better PSU would solve this, but failing that -
I'd get a replacement card as it sounds like theres a memory fubar on the
card. BFG have a great replacement turnaround so you wont have any troubles
there.

"Dwayne" <dwaynes01@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I've just replaced an FX5200 with a BFG 6600 GT OC but unfortunately I
have
> found that both farcry and america's army have alot of artifacts such as
see
> through walls, missing ground, large opaque objects and streaks in the
sky.

> I've tried high res and low res and I've turn off antialiasing and
> anisotropic filtering but same thing. Call of duty and knights of the old
> republic work great.
> I've uninstalled and reinstalled the latest nvidia driver 6.14.10.6693
> The 5200 worked ok except for being slow.
> System:
> ASUS p4s8x
> bios 1004 (upgraded to try and resolve the problem)
> onboard soundmax
> pentium 2.4
> 768mb ram
> Windows XP home sp2
> directx 9.0c
> I've read lots of concern here over inadequate power supplies so I'll
> mention that mine is 300W. I've got no other cards inserted and only a
> single hd, floppy and CDROM burner.
>
> I'll buy a better power supply if folks think that will resolve it.
>
> any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Dwayne

January 9, 2005 4:51:19 PM

Yeah my supplier will replace it within 14 days and then I'm off to BFG
after that. Apparently it's even got a lifetime warranty from BFG

"Blaedmon" <ass@beamer.com> wrote in message
> yea as youve said perhaps a better PSU would solve this, but failing
> that -
> I'd get a replacement card as it sounds like theres a memory fubar on the
> card. BFG have a great replacement turnaround so you wont have any
> troubles
> there.
>
> "Dwayne" <dwaynes01@rogers.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>> I've just replaced an FX5200 with a BFG 6600 GT OC but unfortunately I
> have
>> found that both farcry and america's army have alot of artifacts such as
> see
>> through walls, missing ground, large opaque objects and streaks in the
> sky.
>>
>> I've tried high res and low res and I've turn off antialiasing and
>> anisotropic filtering but same thing. Call of duty and knights of the old
>> republic work great.
>> I've uninstalled and reinstalled the latest nvidia driver 6.14.10.6693
>> The 5200 worked ok except for being slow.
>> System:
>> ASUS p4s8x
>> bios 1004 (upgraded to try and resolve the problem)
>> onboard soundmax
>> pentium 2.4
>> 768mb ram
>> Windows XP home sp2
>> directx 9.0c
>> I've read lots of concern here over inadequate power supplies so I'll
>> mention that mine is 300W. I've got no other cards inserted and only a
>> single hd, floppy and CDROM burner.
>>
>> I'll buy a better power supply if folks think that will resolve it.
>>
>> any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks, Dwayne

January 11, 2005 6:16:08 PM

Dwayne wrote:
> Yeah my supplier will replace it within 14 days and then I'm off to BFG
> after that. Apparently it's even got a lifetime warranty from BFG
>
> "Blaedmon" <ass@beamer.com> wrote in message
>
>>yea as youve said perhaps a better PSU would solve this, but failing
>>that -
>>I'd get a replacement card as it sounds like theres a memory fubar on the
>>card. BFG have a great replacement turnaround so you wont have any
>>troubles
>>there.
>>
>>"Dwayne" <dwaynes01@rogers.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi
>>>I've just replaced an FX5200 with a BFG 6600 GT OC but unfortunately I
>>
>>have
>>
>>>found that both farcry and america's army have alot of artifacts such as
>>
>>see
>>
>>>through walls, missing ground, large opaque objects and streaks in the
>>
>>sky.
>>
>>>I've tried high res and low res and I've turn off antialiasing and
>>>anisotropic filtering but same thing. Call of duty and knights of the old
>>>republic work great.
>>>I've uninstalled and reinstalled the latest nvidia driver 6.14.10.6693
>>>The 5200 worked ok except for being slow.
>>>System:
>>>ASUS p4s8x
>>>bios 1004 (upgraded to try and resolve the problem)
>>>onboard soundmax
>>>pentium 2.4
>>>768mb ram
>>>Windows XP home sp2
>>>directx 9.0c
>>>I've read lots of concern here over inadequate power supplies so I'll
>>>mention that mine is 300W. I've got no other cards inserted and only a
>>>single hd, floppy and CDROM burner.
>>>
>>>I'll buy a better power supply if folks think that will resolve it.
>>>
>>>any help would be appreciated.
>>>
>>>Thanks, Dwayne

I had similar problems with a 6600GT. Try 71.20 drivers ( forceware ? )

Regards

Si
!