BFG 6800 OC or 6600 GT OC?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 10, 2005 9:51:37 AM

I have been watching the posts in this NG since Christmas trying to
decide where to go from my FX 5900. For my budget the 6600 GT looks
about right. However today I noticed one web retailer that is taking
pre-orders for the BFG 6800 OC 128 for the same price as the BFG 6600
GT OC 128. I haven't seen much about the 6800 128 here.
Any opinions?

Mox

More about : bfg 6800 6600

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 1:32:39 PM

Have a look-see at the thread titled "Any help with blurry 2d on a GeForce
6800?" started on 1/2/05. You'll see the BFG Tech 6800 OC card scores very
low in my book. Seems very shoddily made, skimping on image quality. Very
blurry/fuzzy 2d/3d at anything above 1280x960@60Hz. Every other video card,
including my old Ti4200 has been crystal clear with sharp text. The
blurryness in 3d isn't as noticeable unless there is text, but the whole
reason I shelled out the money for this card is to play Half-Life 2, amont
other games, at 1280x960 with max detail. Totally unacceptable. I'm on my
second card now with the same problem so it's going back and I'm gonna get a
different brand.

Cory

"Mox 13" <mabens13@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have been watching the posts in this NG since Christmas trying to
> decide where to go from my FX 5900. For my budget the 6600 GT looks
> about right. However today I noticed one web retailer that is taking
> pre-orders for the BFG 6800 OC 128 for the same price as the BFG 6600
> GT OC 128. I haven't seen much about the 6800 128 here.
> Any opinions?
>
> Mox
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 2:11:33 PM

Have a look-see at the thread titled "Any help with blurry 2d on a GeForce
6800?" started on 1/2/05. You'll see the BFG Tech 6800 OC card scores very
low in my book. Seems very shoddily made, skimping on image quality. Very
blurry/fuzzy 2d/3d at anything above 1280x960@60Hz. Every other video card,
including my old Ti4200 has been crystal clear with sharp text. The
blurryness in 3d isn't as noticeable unless there is text, but the whole
reason I shelled out the money for this card is to play Half-Life 2, amont
other games, at 1280x960 with max detail. Totally unacceptable. I'm on my
second card now with the same problem so it's going back and I'm gonna get a
different brand.

Cory

"Mox 13" <mabens13@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have been watching the posts in this NG since Christmas trying to
> decide where to go from my FX 5900. For my budget the 6600 GT looks
> about right. However today I noticed one web retailer that is taking
> pre-orders for the BFG 6800 OC 128 for the same price as the BFG 6600
> GT OC 128. I haven't seen much about the 6800 128 here.
> Any opinions?
>
> Mox
January 10, 2005 7:56:34 PM

i have a asus 6800gt 128m card and it is very fast.
3d mark 3 defult settings scores are around 10413 to 10443 not oc.

P4 3.2e
asus 6800 gt 128m not o/c
gigabite m/b
2 x 512 m ddr 400 dual setup
2x120 gb hard drives

it runing at

idle cpu 30c with case at 25c
load cpu 40c with case at 30c
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 9:19:04 PM

I didn't know they make the 6800 GT in 128 flavor?
If they do then yeah I'd go for that card since it is probably close to your
budget.
I would recommend saving up until you can afford a full blown 6800 GT 256.

"lindon" <lindon@heaven0.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>i have a asus 6800gt 128m card and it is very fast.
> 3d mark 3 defult settings scores are around 10413 to 10443 not oc.
>
> P4 3.2e
> asus 6800 gt 128m not o/c
> gigabite m/b
> 2 x 512 m ddr 400 dual setup
> 2x120 gb hard drives
>
> it runing at
>
> idle cpu 30c with case at 25c
> load cpu 40c with case at 30c

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 9:30:01 PM

just oc my asus 9800 gt 128m to see what it will do.

set to 400/900 get score of 11858 3d mark 3 and plays farcry with no
problems
set it to 400/800 to be safe.

is there any way to set the computer up to only overclock then i play games
a run at defult when working.

"Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>I didn't know they make the 6800 GT in 128 flavor?
> If they do then yeah I'd go for that card since it is probably close to
> your budget.
> I would recommend saving up until you can afford a full blown 6800 GT 256.
>
> "lindon" <lindon@heaven0.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>i have a asus 6800gt 128m card and it is very fast.
>> 3d mark 3 defult settings scores are around 10413 to 10443 not oc.
>>
>> P4 3.2e
>> asus 6800 gt 128m not o/c
>> gigabite m/b
>> 2 x 512 m ddr 400 dual setup
>> 2x120 gb hard drives
>>
>> it runing at
>>
>> idle cpu 30c with case at 25c
>> load cpu 40c with case at 30c

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 9:57:43 PM

I just bought a Leadtek 6800 128mb with 12 pipelines for £174 in the uk
,unlocked it to the full 16 with riva tuner.
http://www.lowestonweb.com/Products/DisplayInfoMain.asp...

> just oc my asus 9800 gt 128m to see what it will do.
>
> set to 400/900 get score of 11858 3d mark 3 and plays farcry with no
> problems
> set it to 400/800 to be safe.
>

> is there any way to set the computer up to only overclock then i play
> games a run at defult when working.
>

> "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>>I didn't know they make the 6800 GT in 128 flavor?
>> If they do then yeah I'd go for that card since it is probably close to
>> your budget.
>> I would recommend saving up until you can afford a full blown 6800 GT
>> 256.
>>
>> "lindon" <lindon@heaven0.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>i have a asus 6800gt 128m card and it is very fast.
>>> 3d mark 3 defult settings scores are around 10413 to 10443 not oc.
>>>
>>> P4 3.2e
>>> asus 6800 gt 128m not o/c
>>> gigabite m/b
>>> 2 x 512 m ddr 400 dual setup
>>> 2x120 gb hard drives
>>>
>>> it runing at
>>>
>>> idle cpu 30c with case at 25c
>>> load cpu 40c with case at 30c

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 9:57:44 PM

Andrew Fry wrote:

> I just bought a Leadtek 6800 128mb with 12 pipelines for £174 in the
> uk ,unlocked it to the full 16 with riva tuner.
> http://www.lowestonweb.com/Products/DisplayInfoMain.asp...

Strange, in one place it says:
"Superscalar 12-pipe GPU Architecture"

Then a few lines later I read:
"Superscalar 16-Pipe GPU Architecture"

And I wonder if:
"Support for the world’s fastest GDDR3 memory"
means it has GDDR3 or just has "support" for it.

--
dvus
Anonymous

I have two 6800 OC's and theyre great cards. By the way - theyre BFG brand.
Anything else and you might end up with an experience like Mr.Dunkle >:D
I bought these cards, also, solely for the Halflife2 and Doom3 experience
and with everything on full (!) theres absolutely no lag, blurryness, or
artifacts. Ever. I must say I also unlocked the inactive pipelines via
Rivatuner. This is running on an xp64 3000+ with 512ddr - pretty standard.

"Mox 13" <mabens13@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have been watching the posts in this NG since Christmas trying to
> decide where to go from my FX 5900. For my budget the 6600 GT looks
> about right. However today I noticed one web retailer that is taking
> pre-orders for the BFG 6800 OC 128 for the same price as the BFG 6600
> GT OC 128. I haven't seen much about the 6800 128 here.
> Any opinions?
>
> Mox

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 9:19:31 AM