Nvidia 6600 GT

Is this card bridged for PCI-E or natural PCI-E like ATI. I remember
the first cards of Nvidia for PCI-E were bridged to work with the slot
but wasn't sure if all cards are still. thanks

It's natural PCIe. In fact, if you look at the AGP variants, almost all of
them have heat sinks tilted 45 deg to accomodate the bridge chip.

The bridge chip carries no real-world performance penalties. It's the board
mfrs who are fussy because the chip adds $5 to the production cost.

"SurLyN" <surlyn@pinseeker.com> wrote in message
> Is this card bridged for PCI-E or natural PCI-E like ATI. I remember
> the first cards of Nvidia for PCI-E were bridged to work with the slot
> but wasn't sure if all cards are still. thanks

Mine

Distinguished
May 25, 2004

SurLyN wrote:
> Is this card bridged for PCI-E or natural PCI-E like ATI.

AFAIK The latter is right: The 6600 is Native PCI Express, the AGP version has
a bridge translating PCI-E into AGP

--
Ciao mine
http://metropolis.blogs.com/

>It's the board
>mfrs who are fussy because the chip adds $5 to the production cost.

Yeah and they pass that $5 along as $50 extra for the AGP version.

Yes, and ATi doesn't have a bridge chip yet, so its PCIe-only cards are not
available on AGP. Yay for no competition...

First of One wrote:
> Yes, and ATi doesn't have a bridge chip yet, so its PCIe-only cards are not
> available on AGP. Yay for no competition...

ATI's Rialto will be ready next month ;-)

--
Ciao mine
http://metropolis.blogs.com/

Then hopefully we will see some usable X800XL cards.

"mine" <mine@despammed.com> wrote in message
> First of One wrote:
> > Yes, and ATi doesn't have a bridge chip yet, so its PCIe-only cards are
not
> > available on AGP. Yay for no competition...
>
> ATI's Rialto will be ready next month ;-)
>
> --
> Ciao mine
> http://metropolis.blogs.com/

I was on a pre-order list for an ATI X800 XL. The company emailed me
and informed me that this product has been discontinued. I guess ATI
has stopped its production

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:58:37 -0500, "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Then hopefully we will see some usable X800XL cards.

That's quite interesting, since X800XL cards were just in reviewers' hands.

SurLyN wrote:
>I was on a pre-order list for an ATI X800 XL. The company emailed me
> and informed me that this product has been discontinued. I guess ATI
> has stopped its production

I think You're referring to X800XT, not X800XL

--
Ciao mine
http://metropolis.blogs.com/

Nope, it was the X800 XL. I was going to be purchasing it from Bottom
Line Telecommunications. An e-mail was sent to me after being delayed
for at least 3 weeks stating that the XL card was discontinued. I was
bummed

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:58:40 GMT, "mine" <mine@despammed.com> wrote:

>SurLyN wrote:
>>I was on a pre-order list for an ATI X800 XL. The company emailed me
>> and informed me that this product has been discontinued. I guess ATI
>> has stopped its production
>
>I think You're referring to X800XT, not X800XL

No, you have been lied to. Order from another reputatable e-tailer.