Nvidia 6600 GT

Is this card bridged for PCI-E or natural PCI-E like ATI. I remember
the first cards of Nvidia for PCI-E were bridged to work with the slot
but wasn't sure if all cards are still. thanks
11 answers Last reply
More about nvidia 6600

    It's natural PCIe. In fact, if you look at the AGP variants, almost all of
    them have heat sinks tilted 45 deg to accomodate the bridge chip.

    The bridge chip carries no real-world performance penalties. It's the board
    mfrs who are fussy because the chip adds $5 to the production cost.

    SurLyN wrote:
    > Is this card bridged for PCI-E or natural PCI-E like ATI.

    AFAIK The latter is right: The 6600 is Native PCI Express, the AGP version has
    a bridge translating PCI-E into AGP

    --
    Ciao mine
    http://metropolis.blogs.com/

    >It's the board
    >mfrs who are fussy because the chip adds $5 to the production cost.

    Yeah and they pass that $5 along as $50 extra for the AGP version.

    Yes, and ATi doesn't have a bridge chip yet, so its PCIe-only cards are not
    available on AGP. Yay for no competition...

    First of One wrote:
    > Yes, and ATi doesn't have a bridge chip yet, so its PCIe-only cards are not
    > available on AGP. Yay for no competition...

    ATI's Rialto will be ready next month ;-)

    --
    Ciao mine
    http://metropolis.blogs.com/

    Then hopefully we will see some usable X800XL cards.

    "mine" <mine@despammed.com> wrote in message
    > First of One wrote:
    > > Yes, and ATi doesn't have a bridge chip yet, so its PCIe-only cards are
    not
    > > available on AGP. Yay for no competition...
    >
    > ATI's Rialto will be ready next month ;-)
    >
    > --
    > Ciao mine
    > http://metropolis.blogs.com/

    I was on a pre-order list for an ATI X800 XL. The company emailed me
    and informed me that this product has been discontinued. I guess ATI
    has stopped its production

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:58:37 -0500, "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Then hopefully we will see some usable X800XL cards.

    That's quite interesting, since X800XL cards were just in reviewers' hands.

    SurLyN wrote:
    >I was on a pre-order list for an ATI X800 XL. The company emailed me
    > and informed me that this product has been discontinued. I guess ATI
    > has stopped its production

    I think You're referring to X800XT, not X800XL

    --
    Ciao mine
    http://metropolis.blogs.com/

    Nope, it was the X800 XL. I was going to be purchasing it from Bottom
    Line Telecommunications. An e-mail was sent to me after being delayed
    for at least 3 weeks stating that the XL card was discontinued. I was
    bummed

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:58:40 GMT, "mine" <mine@despammed.com> wrote:

    >SurLyN wrote:
    >>I was on a pre-order list for an ATI X800 XL. The company emailed me
    >> and informed me that this product has been discontinued. I guess ATI
    >> has stopped its production
    >
    >I think You're referring to X800XT, not X800XL

    No, you have been lied to. Order from another reputatable e-tailer.

    > Nope, it was the X800 XL. I was going to be purchasing it from Bottom
    > Line Telecommunications. An e-mail was sent to me after being delayed
    > for at least 3 weeks stating that the XL card was discontinued. I was
    > bummed

Nvidia PCI Express Graphics