HL2 on a 5900xt no o/c DX9 forced = 109fps

I was wondering what sort of FPS people were getting on the 5900xt
with DX9 forced on in HL2

I get 109fps at 800 or 1024 / 32bit /2x AA/2x ani/everything wide
open, but that's because I limited it to 110fps. I guess it would run
a lot higher, but theres no reason to.

Judge wrote:
> I was wondering what sort of FPS people were getting on the 5900xt
> with DX9 forced on in HL2
>
> I get 109fps at 800 or 1024 / 32bit /2x AA/2x ani/everything wide
> open, but that's because I limited it to 110fps. I guess it would run
> a lot higher, but theres no reason to.

Consider yourself fortunate as that is a very good framerate for DX9 on
any FX card. Are you sure it's in DX9? I've had that problem where
previously it was in DX9 (forced by cmd line), but then it drops back
into DX8 while still showing DX9 in the options.

Si

deimos wrote:
> Judge wrote:
>
>> I was wondering what sort of FPS people were getting on the 5900xt
>> with DX9 forced on in HL2
>> I get 109fps at 800 or 1024 / 32bit /2x AA/2x ani/everything wide
>> open, but that's because I limited it to 110fps. I guess it would run
>> a lot higher, but theres no reason to.
>

> Consider yourself fortunate as that is a very good framerate for DX9 on
> any FX card. Are you sure it's in DX9? I've had that problem where
> previously it was in DX9 (forced by cmd line), but then it drops back
> into DX8 while still showing DX9 in the options.

In the source stress test included with counterstrike. My 6600GT ( 1 GB
DDR400 ) p4 2.8 800FSB scores 82fps at 1024 everything full 2x AA 2x Aniso.

It is also overclocked about 10% from both default values. That said it
only goes down to about 50 at 1600x1200 with the same settings.

If you are getting those figures out of a 5900xt Id be very happy indeed.

Si

Chingy

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004

what kinda comp u got, any specs on it since u got good FPS with the card u
got I would like to know..

"Judge" <no@where.com> wrote in message
>I was wondering what sort of FPS people were getting on the 5900xt
> with DX9 forced on in HL2
>
> I get 109fps at 800 or 1024 / 32bit /2x AA/2x ani/everything wide
> open, but that's because I limited it to 110fps. I guess it would run
> a lot higher, but theres no reason to.

I promise it is full DX9, even if Valve did try to screw us nVidia
users. You have to hard-force it, but it works flawlessly, no weird
polygons or anomalies. (to use a favorite HL word)

comp is :
asus a7n8x dlx (nforce2)
1gb pc3200 (mushkin level 1)
barton 2500 OC'd to 3200 (200mhz bus)
seagate cheetah x15 18.4gb/2mb HDD (yeah it's a dinosaur but I'm
waiting on sata 300)
video card is a leadtek 5900xt with 2.2ns ram, not overclocked (it
oc'd ok, but stability was spotty)

the FPS stayed around 82-109 till you go outside and fight the
striders. It got down around 52-55 at times. Only once did it fall
sub-30, and that was with 3 of those liquid-like barriers on screen at
the same time.

===================================

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:56:35 +1100, "Chingy" <lakiri@lakara.com>
wrote:

>what kinda comp u got, any specs on it since u got good FPS with the card u
>got I would like to know..
>

>"Judge" <no@where.com> wrote in message
>>I was wondering what sort of FPS people were getting on the 5900xt
>> with DX9 forced on in HL2
>>
>> I get 109fps at 800 or 1024 / 32bit /2x AA/2x ani/everything wide
>> open, but that's because I limited it to 110fps. I guess it would run
>> a lot higher, but theres no reason to.

Im sure it's DX9 because of the water in the 'water hazard' level. The
look between 8 and 9 is night and day. If yours was showing DX9 in the
options, what makes you think it was back in dx8 mode?

"Si" <mymatesi@CHINESEgmail.com> wrote in message
> deimos wrote:
>> Judge wrote:
>>
>>> I was wondering what sort of FPS people were getting on the 5900xt
>>> with DX9 forced on in HL2
>>> I get 109fps at 800 or 1024 / 32bit /2x AA/2x ani/everything wide
>>> open, but that's because I limited it to 110fps. I guess it would run
>>> a lot higher, but theres no reason to.
>>

>> Consider yourself fortunate as that is a very good framerate for DX9 on
>> any FX card. Are you sure it's in DX9? I've had that problem where
>> previously it was in DX9 (forced by cmd line), but then it drops back
>> into DX8 while still showing DX9 in the options.
>
> In the source stress test included with counterstrike. My 6600GT ( 1 GB
> DDR400 ) p4 2.8 800FSB scores 82fps at 1024 everything full 2x AA 2x
> Aniso.

I win :) 6800GT@ultra speeds, A64 3400+, 1GB DDR400, 1280x1024, full AA, AF
and all details, 139fps in stress test

> It is also overclocked about 10% from both default values. That said it
> only goes down to about 50 at 1600x1200 with the same settings.
>
> If you are getting those figures out of a 5900xt Id be very happy indeed.

The 5900xt is meant to be miles behind the 6 series, so im not convinced